WheelLog Android App

palachzzz

2 hours ago, palachzzz said:

I investigated the problem with Android Oreo (8.0) using Samsung Galaxy S8, the phone does not see the wheel with any applications including system one. It simply does not display this device in the search list. But some people reported that all fine with their EUC and Oreo. I think the problem is connected to MAC address or something else. My wheel have MAC started from zero, the guy, who reported that it's fine - from 9. So, I don't know real problem (You can find the same issues in Internet with other devices). But the phone can work with the wheel if connect to already known MAC address. So I added a kludge that allows you to edit the MAC address manually. You need to use any other device that can find wheel - learn the MAC address and write it in the Edit MAC Address menu. It is nessesary to use big letters and colons (since this is a temporary solution, I didn't implement any verifications). After that you need to restart APP

Sorry, this is the best I can do now.

Example:

Hide contents

Screenshot_20180512-184650_WheelLog.jpg.7e2678b70a138626aaa16da3b07cdba0.jpg

Version 2.0.8

added:

- manual MAC Address Edit

- early Inmotion V10 support (untested)

- 84v gotway menu fix (thanks @MacPara)

WheelLog_12052018.apk

FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC! Thanks so much @palachzzz.

Hey @Bobwheel and @Jeffrey Scott Will. You need to check this out as I just installed the new Inmotion app and guess what. No V8 seen anymore. Others have had the same problem. This is only going to get worse as more people get Oreo. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@palachzzz I use WheelLog version 30082017 with KS16S (over 4300km now and counting), on Android 8.0 Oreo on Galaxy Note 8 without major issues (the only problem is that from time to time wheel does not want to reconnect when it is switched off and on (for example if You switch the wheel for 10 minutes to drink coffee but app switch off-on solves it)) 

Big Question - Big Request - do You consider creating version which works with Ninebot wheels? (I am expecting Z10 to arrive soon,  and I will miss pebble speed readout a lot)  - can communication with Ninebot be taken from DarknessBot IOS app?

Edited by Lukasz

On 5/12/2018 at 9:02 PM, WARPed1701D said:

FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC! Thanks so much @palachzzz.

Hey @Bobwheel and @Jeffrey Scott Will. You need to check this out as I just installed the new Inmotion app and guess what. No V8 seen anymore. Others have had the same problem. This is only going to get worse as more people get Oreo. 

@palachzzz Thanks for doing a good job, unfortunately I have yet to get my V( to respond to the app. Maybe there is some silly little thing I am missing out on but the other issues I kinda get is that I keep have tons of BT devices around me so it is "nearly" impossible to to rule out all unknown devices. I do hope that someone can post a fix so I can spot the wheel with name and mac addresses and I can add it to list of devices, but so far no joy.

Confirmed that this "kludge" method works for connecting a Oreo Android device to a V8 using Wheellog. :thumbup:

To find the MAC I had to use my Windows Computer. All the Bluetooth scanners in Android I tried did not list the wheel.

The software I used is available in the Windows Store for free. It is written by Microsoft so no security concerns.

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9N0ZTKF1QD98

You will need Windows 8 or 10.

Look for a device with a service count of 12. or just tap/click each found device and scroll down through the captured data. My V8 was identified as V8-******** (where stars are letters and/or numbers) in one of the fields half way down..

The MAC you need for Wheellog is listed up top as BT Address. Enter it in to Wheellog in pairs of two characters each separated by a colon. All letters should be in capitals. Once entered and accepted close and reopen the app by double tapping the OS back button.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:32 PM, palachzzz said:

My wheel have MAC started from zero, the guy, who reported that it's fine - from 9.

If it matters my MAC started 04:A3. I don't think the construction of the MAC is the problem. Like you I could not find the wheel using any Bluetooth utility app on my phone but it showed up right away on Windows using the app linked above.

1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

Confirmed that this "kludge" method works for connecting a Oreo Android device to a V8 using Wheellog. :thumbup:

To find the MAC I had to use my Windows Computer. All the Bluetooth scanners in Android I tried did not list the wheel.

The software I used is available in the Windows Store for free. It is written by Microsoft so no security concerns.

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9N0ZTKF1QD98

You will need Windows 8 or 10.

Look for a device with a service count of 12. or just tap/click each found device and scroll down through the captured data. My V8 was identified as V8-******** (where stars are letters and/or numbers) in one of the fields half way down..

The MAC you need for Wheellog is listed up top as BT Address. Enter it in to Wheellog in pairs of two characters each separated by a colon. All letters should be in capitals. Once entered and accepted close and reopen the app by double tapping the OS back button.

The fact that Android BT scanners did not show the wheel at all just confirms that there is something seriously wrong with the BT implementation in Android Oreo. I can't believe they haven't fixed this yet! What's up with that Google?

3 hours ago, MacPara said:

The fact that Android BT scanners did not show the wheel at all just confirms that there is something seriously wrong with the BT implementation in Android Oreo. I can't believe they haven't fixed this yet! What's up with that Google?

I'm in 8.1 now too. Hoped the minor version bump would help but it didn't. 

On 5/12/2018 at 9:32 AM, palachzzz said:

- 84v gotway menu fix (thanks @MacPara)

WheelLog_12052018.apk

Fabulous, thank you @palachzzz! 84V readout works great on my Gotway wheels!

I wish I didn't have to click through the password prompt for the Inmotion wheels, but I understand you can't read the wheel type to prevent the dialog. Is it possible to set as a preference, so the box only comes up when Inmotion wheel is set as a pref?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, who_the said:

Fabulous, thank you @palachzzz! 84V readout works great on my Gotway wheels!

I wish I didn't have to click through the password prompt for the Inmotion wheels, but I understand you can't read the wheel type to prevent the dialog. Is it possible to set as a preference, so the box only comes up when Inmotion wheel is set as a pref?

Great suggestion (preference) @who_the

BTW, I made this suggestion to @MacPara and I think he's going to implement eventually - to remember all the wheels that you've connected to. Currently WheelLog will auto-connect to the last wheel that you used. Seeing that I have multiple wheels, it would be great if WheelLog would auto-connect to a wheel if it had seen that wheel before.

So if we get your Preference and my auto-connect, we'll never have to go through the connection routine again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@palachzzz @Jeffrey Scott Will @Bobwheel

Simply just great. Today I fiddled around with Wheellog again. Trying what someone suggested not using any password code. AND all off a sudden Wheellog saw my Inmotion V8 and I could get readout from the wheel. 

So I might acturly see if a dealer will allow me to test with a Samsung smartwatch. Yes more expenses upcoming. So action cam might have to be put on hold.

Dont know if i understand this right: if i have multiple wheels, i have to Connect it every time i change the wheels as a New One?

Does it mean i have to change the settings everytime because of the overwriting and set to defaults that wheellog does after first Start? Or is it only the Password Routine? 

Edited by onkeldanuel

Yeah, that's pretty annoying to me too. This is the next thing I'll be focusing on, along with remembering wheels it has seen before. The idea would be to only have to configure alarms and stuff once per wheel. I don't have anything else on my list and won't be releasing stuff for a while unless there's the need for a bug fix.

• Like 1

I assume it already has a storage of some kind to remember your last connected wheel so it would just be adding to that save to do all the settings aswell as what I assume is just the mac address of the wheel, how about a:

IF(SAVEDWHEELS>1,Load profile select menu, just connect to only wheel)

In theory this would also fix the wheel settings resetting every time you go into them as you could store them as your last set per wheel, yes its not a true reflection if someone changes the options with another app but neither is it now so meh.

You would need an "add new wheel" button I guess for when you dont fit the above criteria, and that could just start you off with the defaults it holds now.

I'd love to help, but I really can't do java, convert it to python for me and i'm all yours lol

• Like 1

@palachzzz   @MacPara  - Do You consider creating version which works with Ninebot wheels? (I am expecting Z10 to arrive soon,  and I will miss pebble speed readout a lot)  - can communication with Ninebot be taken from DarknessBot IOS app?

Edited by Lukasz
  • Like 1

I'd love to support 9bots and the complete Inmotion line as well. Alas, it's real effort to debug the communications between the phone and the wheel and you'd require access to the wheel first to be able to do that. If the Darknessbot source would be public and accessible one could look it up there but that is not the case, AFAIK. Now, @palachzzz, might know the author of Darknessbot and get some insights into the protocols but I do not have that access myself. 

So, without a shop behind me that just supplies wheels for a few weeks at a time for me just debugging communications and without access to other source code that shows protocol implementations, my hands are tied at this point. If the situation changes in one regard or another, I shall happily implement what I've learned into the Wheellog app. We'll see what happens.

But, believe me, I understand your situation. Since I started using the Pebble for my rides I just can't imagine not having it anymore. This is the best way of checking your wheel's vitals while riding!

• Like 1

@MacPara  - Thank you a lot for quick answer.  Regarding communication - maybe some details can be obtained form  the work of @Paco Gorina  - 9B Metrics - 

Very good visibility in the daylight / sun and also in the evening and full time on screen of Pebble seems to be the best readout around....   

So - maybe @palachzzz  can obtain some cooperation from @Ilya Shkolnik   - or - maybe optionally the other way around - maybe Ilya can add pebble as the readout for Darknessbot? 

(Iphone with system v9 is not that expensive this days, but it would be awkward to use apple phone only as the "relay" for pebble to work...)

• Like 1

Thank You  @palachzzz  for status information.  If I finally get the access to Z10 I will try to confirm if current DarknessBot  works - and if it does it may be easier ...  maybe    @Ilya Shkolnik   find the way to support Pebble as the second solution...

Help needed please for my KS14d and KS app ver1.47

Having had a great many problems getting the Kingsong app version 1.47 to work on my Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 phone, and unhappy with the tiny characters on the detailed info page which are only readable if your under 30!  I decided to try the wheel log app 12052018.

I installed it to my spare samsung galaxy A4 mini to trial it and it looked great compared the the Kingsong one. Then I went to the speed alarm settings and changed a few of them only to find there wasn't any sign of the alarm 4 which sets tiltback speed. Also no horn button and other lights settings. So I decided to revert bach the the KS app on my new phone only to find I couldn't get it to connect to the wheel.

It would be nice to be able to talk to some expert on what's app to talk me through how to get back to a working app/wheel. Any takers?

Andy

7 hours ago, Juggler said:

Help needed please for my KS14d and KS app ver1.47

Having had a great many problems getting the Kingsong app version 1.47 to work on my Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 phone, and unhappy with the tiny characters on the detailed info page which are only readable if your under 30!  I decided to try the wheel log app 12052018.

I installed it to my spare samsung galaxy A4 mini to trial it and it looked great compared the the Kingsong one. Then I went to the speed alarm settings and changed a few of them only to find there wasn't any sign of the alarm 4 which sets tiltback speed. Also no horn button and other lights settings. So I decided to revert bach the the KS app on my new phone only to find I couldn't get it to connect to the wheel.

It would be nice to be able to talk to some expert on what's app to talk me through how to get back to a working app/wheel. Any takers?

Andy

You could try the version that I use: https://www.dropbox.com/s/il5z2qqfq9bahsr/KSv4.apk?dl=0

And have you tried WheelLog? https://www.dropbox.com/s/pc8swvnsgkkm5ai/Forked WheelLog_17092017.apk?dl=0