"Veteran" New brand of high performance EUC's

ugoaps

At my rider weight and riding at a comfortable 25km/h, I think I might be able to reach 200km range on this beast. If so, this is game changer. How long before one-wheel vehicles can match the range of their four-wheeled big brothers? I like what Veteran is trying to achieve, so I will support their efforts. Exciting times ahead.

I was about to put down an order for an MSP or Monster (then Pro) but went with VS instead. It looks solidly built and the utilitarian looks will fit right at home with my combat boots, P100 full face respirator and apocalypse-ready gear.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I'll bet you $10 we'll be stuck with metric. KingSong and Gotway have never given us that option in their apps.

considering they’re unusually quiet on the subject, I wouldn’t bet you. :) 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Kuji has been singing its praises which really has me excited.

I don't share his (and your(?)) love for the MSX so this concerns me, not sure how to interpret this.

24 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

I don't share his (and your(?)) love for the MSX so this concerns me, not sure how to interpret this.

Well, he did refer to the MSP and Monster too? I guess you don't like those either. Maybe the Vet won't be a wheel for you :confused1:

26 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Well, he did refer to the MSP and Monster too? I guess you don't like those either. Maybe the Vet won't be a wheel for you :confused1:

I don't trust new wheel excitement because I've been misled both ways by such reports before. 

My distaste is for the only hard hard hard across-all-modes that MSX/MSP does, which guys on here seem to love, so.... and most, if not all, reviewers, ever talk about the modes, nor understand really what they do, particularly for Gotway.

What with the 80kph lift 24Pro rumors, my fav v2 Monster is looking right now like a keeper, unless Commander Sherman has an OG Gotway soft-swinging mode hidden in there *fingers crossed*.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

I don't trust new wheel excitement because I've been misled both ways by such reports before. 

My distaste is for the only hard hard hard across-all-modes that MSX/MSP does, which guys on here seem to love, so.... and most, if not all, reviewers, ever talk about the modes, nor understand really what they do, particularly for Gotway.

What with the 80kph lift 24Pro rumors, my fav v2 Monster is looking right now like a keeper, unless Commander Sherman has an OG Gotway soft-swinging mode hidden in there *fingers crossed*.

Hell, now that pedal tilt is coming as a user adjustable option, maybe pedal softness isn't far behind?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Hell, now that pedal tilt is coming as a user adjustable option, maybe pedal softness isn't far behind?

Hope so.

As much as I love Gotway despite all their faults, I hate having to limit options because all their wheel models' hardness of modes are all over the place (albeit, Gotway created their own problem here seeing as they're the ones who created, then neutered, their awesome, not-for-tricks OG soft mode).

• Like 1

Maybe they added sideways calibration... For Chooch and other that pass that 45° angle in banked curves 🦼

My Tesla go past 45° before it cuts, at least when testing at standstill 🙈 Tyre would lose grip far before it cuts based on the angle it cuts

@Marty Backe When you get the tank, don't bother editing/recording locally, just live stream 😄... We can't wait for edit🤤.. Were🔥 up over here

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 2

LCD is basically the only thing I dislike about the sherman (except the 16 or so Kg too much weight) Its built like a tank to withstand falls and crahses. Then they slapped on an old school LCD on top of it.

I wonder what happens if the LCD breaks (glass is glass...and glass breaks 😜 (as Zack would have said)

First oficiall mod, 3D-printed protection frame for the LCD?

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Boogieman said:

LCD is basically the only thing I dislike about the sherman (except the 16 or so Kg too much weight) Its built like a tank to withstand falls and crahses. Then they slapped on an old school LCD on top of it.

I wonder what happens if the LCD breaks (glass is glass...and glass breaks 😜 (as Zack would have said)

First oficiall mod, 3D-printed protection frame for the LCD?

who says it’s glass? It’s plastic most likely, with guard rails making a direct top crash virtually impossible. 

5 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

who says it’s glass? It’s plastic most likely, with guard rails making a direct top crash virtually impossible. 

If its glass it cracks easier. A flying stone would be enough or a twist in the shell that adds tension on an edge if not protected with LCD liner.

If its plastic it scratches easier. 

If its Graphene...WOW, they would be first on electric vehicles and that would be kick ass :-)

Either way, protection is for sure the first i would add. Screen protector + a raised edge.

It for sure looks flush or even RAISED from the shell to me, not with an inset. Could be wrong but not from what i see with my eyes.

Also look at the height of the rollbars vs height of lcd...no or very little margin /protection up top.

Screenshot_20200617-213943_AliExpress.thumb.jpg.f4afa0bb19ce778fa81bd1471ca1c105.jpg

Screenshot_20200617-213918_AliExpress.thumb.jpg.d19c02dc7a60ba87daeab784d248ba7e.jpg

And what i mean is that a LCD is a fairly sensitive piece of equipment, and the only piece that can be impacted with a direct hit in a crash (unless shell cracks, but then you are in deeper trouble)

All other sensitive electrical equipment is kept inside the wheel protected.

But again, if a stone pentrates the LCD, whst will happen. Will the wheel start with the ?touch?-button on the LCD broken? Will it cut out or fry something expensive to repair?

To me, a tank should be a tank, inside out. I would be fine with 10 covered leds on top telling battery level or you could change mode to tell speed in % of max for example

(a smart EUC should be able to calculate max speed based on rider weight/motor load vs battery level, but i dont think the AI is quite there on EUCs just yet, on the other hand it knows the 80% beep limit so if someone out their will in it im sure its possible :) and who kmows, Sherman might surprise us with exceptional smart functions. I for one hope so, but I would rather have most of those connected to an app (EUC WORLD FTW) and just mandatory stuff like battery on LEDs on the EUC.

Luckily if not we have external apps like EUC world to add some features...albeit not a lot of AI, more self made settings, but loads of logging possible.

But each to his own. Me... I'm the 100% tank guy. I just wanna roll, with minimal issues. If i want to know speed i connect euc world and a tizen watch or pebble rather than taking my eyes of the road looking between my legs in 70km/h :)

Got a sherman, then you don't need this...or kinda anyway :-) THAT is a smart function i like even if a bit gimmicky as it signals when turning has started. Hook it up with EUC World and add functions to a watch (left right edge tap) to be able to indicate BEFORE turning and we are really in business (a flasher when turning has started is kinda usless to be frank, but its a start and i have only seen that on xiaomis ninebot mini plus, i got the mini plus collecting dust lol)

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/lumos-add-indicator-helmet-range-new-ultra-274621?amp

Edited by Boogieman
Images

27 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

If its glass it cracks easier. A flying stone would be enough or a twist in the shell that adds tension on an edge if not protected with LCD liner.

If its plastic it scratches easier. 

If its Graphene...WOW, they would be first on electric vehicles and that would be kick ass :-)

Either way, protection is for sure the first i would add. Screen protector + a raised edge.

It for sure looks flush or even RAISED from the shell to me, not with an inset. Could be wrong but not from what i see with my eyes.

Also look at the height of the rollbars vs height of lcd...no or very little margin /protection up top.

Screenshot_20200617-213943_AliExpress.thumb.jpg.f4afa0bb19ce778fa81bd1471ca1c105.jpg

Screenshot_20200617-213918_AliExpress.thumb.jpg.d19c02dc7a60ba87daeab784d248ba7e.jpg

And what i mean is that a LCD is a fairly sensitive piece of equipment, and the only piece that can be impacted with a direct hit in a crash (unless shell cracks, but then you are in deeper trouble)

All other sensitive electrical equipment is kept inside the wheel protected.

But again, if a stone pentrates the LCD, whst will happen. Will the wheel start with the ?touch?-button on the LCD broken? Will it cut out or fry something expensive to repair?

To me, a tank should be a tank, inside out. I would be fine with 10 covered leds on top telling battery level or you could change mode to tell speed in % of max for example

(a smart EUC should be able to calculate max speed based on rider weight/motor load vs battery level, but i dont think the AI is quite there on EUCs just yet, on the other hand it knows the 80% beep limit so if someone out their will in it im sure its possible :) and who kmows, Sherman might surprise us with exceptional smart functions. I for one hope so, but I would rather have most of those connected to an app (EUC WORLD FTW) and just mandatory stuff like battery on LEDs on the EUC.

Luckily if not we have external apps like EUC world to add some features...albeit not a lot of AI, more self made settings, but loads of logging possible.

But each to his own. Me... I'm the 100% tank guy. I just wanna roll, with minimal issues. If i want to know speed i connect euc world and a tizen watch or pebble rather than taking my eyes of the road looking between my legs in 70km/h :)

Got a sherman, then you don't need this...or kinda anyway :-) THAT is a smart function i like even if a bit gimmicky as it signals when turning has started. Hook it up with EUC World and add functions to a watch (left right edge tap) to be able to indicate BEFORE turning and we are really in business (a flasher when turning has started is kinda usless to be frank, but its a start and i have only seen that on xiaomis ninebot mini plus, i got the mini plus collecting dust lol)

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/lumos-add-indicator-helmet-range-new-ultra-274621?amp

For starters, the lcd will have a plastic film over it out of the box, so if you’re that anal about scratches, don’t take it off. 

Second, there is no confirmation that this wheel will connect to either DB or EUCworld out of the box. Support will likely have to be built in and that will take some time. 

I suppose we will see when these things get ridden and crashed by the suicide riders of NYC. It’s honestly the least of my worries with this wheel. 

That the LCD might be fragile is very possible, however I'd bet 1:10 its not glass.
Replacing it is very low on my list of possible worries regarding this wheel 🤷

38 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

For starters, the lcd will have a plastic film over it out of the box, so if you’re that anal about scratches, don’t take it off. 

Second, there is no confirmation that this wheel will connect to either DB or EUCworld out of the box. Support will likely have to be built in and that will take some time. 

I suppose we will see when these things get ridden and crashed by the suicide riders of NYC. It’s honestly the least of my worries with this wheel. 

Whats Your biggest worry?

To me its for sure not being able to turn on the wheel after a crash (as power button seems integrated in LCD...unless its only to powee the LCD) especially given its a long range wheel. 

EUC world most likely needs an update by Seba, unless they used GW protocol (not totally unlikely given their origin), at least for full functionality.

Plastic film - anal 😂, you mean that thin useless film that all China LCDs have...that I guess You saw in the picture (or did you see the wheel IRL?) That would not protect for a fly even unless they added a real protector.

No, after market FTW but plastic is plastic, and plastic dents. Still same possibilty to have issues only less with just a protector. So a raised (seminsoft foam) edge around screen is what I would add. Same thing I added to my tesla to protect charge port that protrouds and that msx owners adds to front that allways hits tarmac first at a fall.

Edited by Boogieman

15 hours ago, onizukagto said:

70km/h?!!

woooaahh!

Gotway has always been in a class of their own, quality and safety be damned. speed and range all the way. 

but with veteran taking the speed, range and durability/ quality,  gotway has to be looking back nervously. 

inmotion vs kingsong

veteran vs gotway!

exciting! 

This is impressive acceleration to 50kph. Kuji did it on the MSX in about 6 seconds (if you check the timings on the video). There might be a little lag in the speed from the app, so maybe a smidge faster, like five seconds. But the Veteran is doing it in 2.9 seconds?!

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

This is impressive acceleration to 50kph. Kuji did it on the MSX in about 6 seconds (if you check the timings on the video). There might be a little lag in the speed from the app, so maybe a smidge faster, like five seconds. But the Veteran is doing it in 2.9 seconds?!

This wheel just obsoleted the MSX and MSPro overnight.  Maybe even the Monster and Nikola.  I'm not into the Kuji Michael Jackson lean, but the numbers don't lie.  Now we just need to confirm the speedo on the Sherman LCD is in fact accurate.  GPS test? 

PS: I noticed the voltage sagged by nearly half during his acceleration test.  Starting to believe Veteran programmed this thing to fully take advantage of the 10p in this pack.  

Edited by Ben Kim
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ben Kim said:

I'm not into the Kuji Michael Jackson lean, but the numbers don't lie.

The numbers can lie exactly because of that lean. I'm not saying the Sherman couldn't accelerate faster than the other wheels mentioned, but exact comparison would require a robot to perform the leaning with precisely at the point of over lean. In my opinion these acceleration tests on EUCs are pointless. Also, it's been 1,5 years since the previous tests and Kuji might have gotten braver and more skilled at this. It's very difficult to compare the numbers. What you can take from that test is that the Sherman must feel very strong and can do at least those numbers. What we don't know is the exact leaning angle and whether the others could have done the same wihtout face plant. And I could be wrong, maybe Kuji really can feel where the limits are and can take it right to the edge. The point is, you will probably accelerate just as fast on any of the wheels but some of them might feel like more effort. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ben Kim said:

This wheel just obsoleted the MSX and MSPro overnight. 

I wouldn't be so sure of that. The Veteran is a big, heavy beast of a wheel. The MSX' crown is in it's high speed carving and rapidly shifting directional stability, with composure to boot. The Veteran Vs MSX would be akin to a Harley Vs an R1. With a skilled rider the Harley can still be hustled for sure, but it will be a helluva lot more work, and never with the same pinpoint accuracy.

The range and speed of the Veteran is awesome, but I believe it will be more of a long distance cruiser (like like the Monster) than a true sportsbike like the MSX.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, erk1024 said:

MSP still have better acceleration 0-50kph  2,33sec. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UniVehje said:

What we don't know is the exact leaning angle and whether the others could have done the same wihtout face plant. And I could be wrong, maybe Kuji really can feel where the limits are and can take it right to the edge

This is something I've wondered about for a long time. My current thinking is that when you lean forward, the wheel tries to "undo" your lean and get back under you. In other words, the wheel is not trying to just maintain your current lean angle, it's trying to get back to a state of balance (constant speed) where you're not falling forward. You can feel that, and in a sense, you have to consciously shift your weight forward again in order to maintain the acceleration. So you know how fast the wheel is accelerating?

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 2