"Veteran" New brand of high performance EUC's

ugoaps

3 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

The Sherman has a hard amp limit to protect the board from failure

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

Would not be the worst idea

Isn't that really stupid? Like the old-timey BMSes that simply switched off if the power draw was too high before manufacturers figured out that's a bad thing for EUCs?

It's not like the mosfets insta-explode as soon as that number is reached.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Isn't that really stupid? Like the old-timey BMSes that simply switched off if the power draw was too high before manufacturers figured out that's a bad thing for EUCs?

Given how often gotway boards explode (100v) for the aggressive riders, i think veteran really did not want the bad PR from board failures so it was conservatively tuned.  

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I hope they don't switch off but "just" limit the current - a big difference. (As the z10 does)

So one overleans in some situations a bit earlier but the wheel/wires have a chance to survive. Maybe also some more bones as tge accident happens with a bit less speed.

That would imho be a bit higher. And motor coil inductance should/could dampen such current surges so that mosfets desolder, their legs and motor wires melt before.

A10p config can deliver huge currents - the motor could survive this temporarly, but the wires and electronics inbetween dies. There is no sense to let this happen and risk li ion fire at the worst.

I don't understand why gw with their 6p config does not implement any overcurrent protection. Maybe they start now after their fires...

But anyhow - as my very personal guesses are from this video it would most probably not have prevented the incident. Just with some km/h more and some fried mosgets/wires...

Edited by Chriull

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

its not BMS related though, its the board that applies that arbitrary limit.  A cutout isn't from the batteries, its from the board when it doesn't get the power it requests.  I mean, unless you're really beating the snot out of that wheel or weigh the same as a Sumo, it shouldn't be much cause for concern.  Given the lack of context, the guys in NYC were TRYING to make that wheel cut out, which isn't indicative of how the wheel would act in a normal riding scenario (where people have their own money invested into the wheels). 

• Like 1

@Ben Kim 

I disagree it doesn't matter what the NYC riders did and that they tried to cut out / overlean.

The firmware is faulty if it cannot handle it. These are just excuses that the rider is heavy etc.

Is it hard to admit that the firmware is not tightened yet? It's not a shame for a Veteran company, it's a wake up call.

Sherman needs to get a firmware modification, and that's the point of pre-production machines. Catch mistakes before mass production.

It is logical that they "loosened the taps" on the test machine to make the WOW effect as large as possible.

They did not anticipate that a NYC "saboteur" would appear who had a physical constitution and a head to send Veteran to the ground at all costs.

Let us, as a community, be glad that this mistake was discovered as soon as possible and it will be resolved sooner.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 5:01 AM, Marty Backe said:

Thankfully my new Tesla V2 still has a real soft mode and a hard mode that's harder than the MSX/MSP :thumbup:

And so does my beautifully aged Tesla v1.2 😍

Though, I am the kind of guy that only ride the hard mode. I can't stand the sluggish response on soft and medium is still not reactive enough.

So to me, go ahead and make

Hard

Granite hard

Diamond hard 

Modes 😁

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Antec said:

Thats if @Marty Backe can Lift it over that first metal gate :lol:

4.jpg

Unfortunately it does appear that you need both arms to lift this wheel since there's no center handle. This could be inconvenient. We'll see ...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Unfortunately it does appear that you need both arms to lift this wheel since there's no center handle. This could be inconvenient. We'll see ...

In practice, i find two-handed lifting far easier than popping the seat off the Monster and trying to one hand that beast up my steps. You can also pull the wheel up stairs by the front guard rail.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrRobot said:

Spec sheet says 10amp max charging through dual ports but ewheels says 8?

ewheels is offering an 8A charger for sale, it’s not the maximum charge capability of the wheel. 10A is a conservative number though, i wouldn’t be surprised if it can do 15 for small spurts. The limiting factor is the charge port used 

• Like 1

I believe the GX16 port can take something like 7A at 250V so I suppose it could take more Amps at lower voltage (?) 

The GW monster supposedly takes 10A on a single port.

23 minutes ago, null said:

I believe the GX16 port can take something like 7A at 250V so I suppose it could take more Amps at lower voltage (?) 

No. The dissipated power comes solely by the contact and pin resistance and the current. The voltage specified is the defined by the pins distances/surface.

23 minutes ago, null said:

The GW monster supposedly takes 10A on a single port.

Afaik because they use 2 pins in parallel for each wire.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chriull said:

Afaik because they use 2 pins in parallel for each wire.

Like most factory gotways for some time now. Its handy to know that the gx16 is happy to 10a though when 'double pinned'.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/3048546131909996/

(source: facebook)

found more veteran road riding videos!

the bloke pushed the veteran to 78.9km/h!!! almost 50mph!

Edited by onizukagto
apologies for the duplicated video posting, dunno how to delete it. lol
  • Like 2