THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

6 hours ago, Afeez Kay said:

The search for the best electric rideable: The King Song 16X.

I believe the Electric Unicycle, as a mode of transportation, is the purest form of Portability and Performance in one package, an almost symbiotic interaction between man and machine.. your body is the controller.

If the electric Unicycle is the best form of city personal/portable transportation, Is it the King Song 16X The Best Of The Best?

@Marty Backe @Mike Sacristan 

I am on my second 16X now with the v1.0.7 firmware the wheel is even better now. I just missed the torque and that trolley handle. Enjoy  😁

Watched it yesterday! Good job!
16X is the best feeling ride for me. So you like it more than your custom Nikola 100V 1800WH 21700? That is quite a special vehicle you got.
Which tyre are you using on the 16X? I have 1st batch so CX and I love it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So no, the 16X is not the Best of the Best. Neither is the Nikola or any other wheel, IMHO. 

I clearly remember you saying that the Nikola was the best wheel :ph34r:, never mind, I'm glad people understand that all the wheels have their pluses and minuses and are unique in their own way. 

Let me say this though, the MSX 100v Plus is the top dog🐶..... :thumbup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seba said:

Upcoming Wear OS / Android Wear companion app for EUC World application (formerly euc.world WheelLog) in action:

Now the problem is how to securely attach the watch to my winter glove...

You are kind of superman of app dev... :-) Have no idea how you can on your spear time build an app so quickly... Anyway, do you need a beta tester ? I'm using KS18L and huwai watch 2 LTE. Also do you think you will endup with a standalone app connecting directly to the wheel or via wheel log ?

1 hour ago, csmyers said:

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've visited the forum. This is a video from the first ride of my MSX a year ago that I never put together. For those that don't know me I've been riding about 4 years, and my previous daily wheel was an ACM.

I chose a trail with a huge variety of terrain, including pavement, dirt trail, deep mud, wooden bridge, sweeping turns, and steep hills. I have since upgraded to a 1600Wh battery from the ACM. Enjoy!

Wow dude, you should really wear some protective equipment. If your wheel blows a board, you'll be on the pavement in an instant. You're out alone, in unpopulated areas, wet conditions, testing out a wheel at high speed in the mud? How many ways could that go wrong? It also encourages others to go without equipment. Not good!

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, erk1024 said:

Wow dude, you should really wear some protective equipment. If your wheel blows a board, you'll be on the pavement in an instant. You're out alone, in unpopulated areas, wet conditions, testing out a wheel at high speed in the mud? How many ways could that go wrong? It also encourages others to go without equipment. Not good!

Thanks for the feedback @erk1024 ! I'm responding because I think your comment might confuse people, my conditions weren't quite so dire.

If I ever felt like I was beyond my capabilities as a rider, I would have slowed down or stopped. I knew I'd never be out of cell service and I share my location with my friends. I've been riding wheels for over 4 years, and before that I did downhill longboarding for 4 years; where you don't have brakes and you're moving even faster. Part of this was practicing parkour, learning how to fall safely onto non-vital areas. I spent hours intentionally throwing myself at the ground, and my worst injury to date has been road rash. I made a post about the art of falling on the forums in 2015, and I still suggest everyone practice these techniques.

It's also important to note that wide angle lenses exaggerate speed. I note my slower speed in the video at 8:34. I weigh 165 fully clothed, and I was averaging 25mph which is well within the limits of the wheel. But since I recorded this video a year ago, I've had my 30mph seated spill on a Griffith Park community ride due to a massive pothole. I ride a bit more conservatively now, but again: with proper technique, my worst injury has been road rash.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, erk1024 said:

None of this matters. If the power suddenly cuts out at 25mph, the wheel just disappears out from underneath you. By the time you realize you're falling, you're already laid out in Superman position. You don't have any leverage to reposition your body. Watch videos of people who have overleaned. I'm talking about young, agile, guys with good reflexes ... they all smack their faces on the pavement.

I don't actually think I'll convince you. It's a well known phenomenon that many guys your age think they are invincible. I hope for your sake, you make it through this phase in one piece. But I can't let this kind of reckless thinking go unchallenged on the forum.  ;)

I appreciate you bringing up these points. One of my 4 ACMs had an intermittent cut-out issue caused by a loose connector (discovered after the 3rd cut out). Ran it out or tucked and rolled each time, until I went in and discovered the issue. In these cutouts my body never actually touched the ground, even though the fastest cutout was clocked at 23mph (before the power spike).

I will never test the top speed of any wheel, especially if I have doubts about its reliability. Most wheels have problems at launch, but MSX never did. Unless I'm mistaken, I think it's still considered the most reliable wheel launched. I had these things in mind before heading out on this ride.

Happy wheeling!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, csmyers said:

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've visited the forum. This is a video from the first ride of my MSX a year ago that I never put together. For those that don't know me I've been riding about 4 years, and my previous daily wheel was an ACM.

I chose a trail with a huge variety of terrain, including pavement, dirt trail, deep mud, wooden bridge, sweeping turns, and steep hills. I have since upgraded to a 1600Wh battery from the ACM. Enjoy!

Nice video Conner. Hope you finally got a mudguard :)

The MSX is a tank for sure.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, erk1024 said:

None of this matters. If the power suddenly cuts out at 25mph, the wheel just disappears out from underneath you. By the time you realize you're falling, you're already laid out in Superman position. You don't have any leverage to reposition your body. Watch videos of people who have overleaned. I'm talking about young, agile, guys with good reflexes ... they all smack their faces on the pavement.

I never experimented at speeds of 25mph and probably never will. At lower speeds I can however confirm that the wheel disappearing under the body does not necessarily imply that the feet will disappear under the body or that the body starts rotating forward. That is an important distinction ^_^ I have experienced both, feet disappearing and feet not disappearing, and I reckon that preventing the feet to disappear is mostly related to keeping the knees (and hips) as flexible as possible.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I just have to butt in for a quick second; how did your body never touch the ground yet you allege you tucked and rolled on some occasions?

At 23mph I sure as hell wouldn’t be able to run off a cut out regardless of the fact that I’m an Olympic sprinter that can likely react twice as fast as you and who has run faster than 23mph.

Sorry for the error, I meant to write "scraped" not "touched."

I'm glad you asked about running off. I'm never truly running this fast, that would be impossible. I'd be running instead of wheeling :laughbounce2:. One of the things you can practice is transferring your FORWARD momentum into UPWARD momentum.

Your knees should always be bent, especially at speed. So in the case of a spill, your first step is more of an upward leap. Imagine how pole vaulting works - your first step is similar to the planting of the pole. So from the first step you've gained some air, but slowed your speed immensely. The remaining steps should be runnable or rollable, or if not much more manageable. There's a reason why parkour athletes are able to jump off of 3 story buildings - if you fell flat you'd be dead.

There is a skill to learning how to redistribute your uncontrollable velocities and make them manageable.

Riding should never be truly relaxed, it's a very athletic thing. But if you keep your energy in the balls of your feet and your knees, I think you'll find falling a little easier to handle. Always be ready for a bail. Road rash is kinda part of the game, but so is knowing your limits. Skidding is one of the best things you can do.

Edited by csmyers
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I think it’s a reaction time thing. My friend whose only 20 years old and pretty lean(but not an athlete) could not run off or roll a cut out at 10mph. He did react to get his hands out in front and complained of the shock traveling up to his shoulder but did not even manage two steps, just hit his knee pads. 

He said he didn’t even know it cut out until he was at an absurd lean angle. 

@Mono The important distinction is you’re not explicitly talking about cut outs. If a pothole jostled me off the wheel somehow then I would have much more time to react and could run off that at higher speeds than a cut out.

I was talking about the wheel disappearing under the body. There can be different reasons why that happens. A pothole is indeed the better of most scenarios which often does leave just about enough time to react. I experienced a few scenarios with no reaction time at all:

• the wheel gets stuck at a large curb the rider didn't see coming (I conveniently overlooked a curb already several times during night time riding)
  • a piece of wood blocks the wheel from spinning

The question isn't really how to react but in which position and motion the body is about half a second after the incident (i.e. before reaction is even possible), which all depends on body posture and tensions right at the time of the incident.

One should prevent by all means that losing the wheel behind will set up the body into a forward rotation or will move the knees behind the body.

I think that keeping the knees in front of the CoG all the time (while riding forward, even when accelerating hard) may make the important difference, which goes well together with bent and soft knees.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, csmyers said:

Your knees should always be bent, especially at speed. So in the case of a spill, your first step is more of an upward leap. Imagine how pole vaulting works - your first step is similar to the planting of the pole. So from the first step you've gained some air, but slowed your speed immensely. The remaining steps should be runnable or rollable, or if not much more manageable. There's a reason why parkour athletes are able to jump off of 3 story buildings - if you fell flat you'd be dead.

Sorry but parkour should not be in the discussion when talking about cut outs. 

Parkour athletes are constantly thinking about their routes and what moves they’re going to execute beforehand. In a cutout, you don’t have that luxury of time.

If you bail, then that is a conscious decision and gives you time to think of how you’re going to bail- how you’re going to step off this wheel and run it off or roll it off. I fell at 33mph on my first day on the MSX because I bailed; I had enough time to think of how I was going to land and roll it out. I didn’t even touch my hands to the ground or my helmet, just rolled. 

Semantics is important in this discussion. I could likely run out a 20mph “bail” without falling if the wheel started wobbling or doing something crazy. But a 20mph cut out, unlikely. 

2 hours ago, csmyers said:

So from the first step you've gained some air, but slowed your speed immensely. The remaining steps should be runnable or rollable, or if not much more manageable. There's a reason why parkour athletes are able to jump off of 3 story buildings - if you fell flat you'd be dead.

There is a skill to learning how to redistribute your uncontrollable velocities and make them manageable.

The physics are completely different. Horrible comparison. And completely WRONG on how to bail from a high speed crash.

A parkour roll off a high drop lands with TWO legs and is simply trying to transfer the vertical energy into horizontal so your tendons and joints don’t have to deal with that load.

On the other hand your logic is trying to force the tendons and joints to handle ALL the load and on ONE LEG when coming off an EUC. That is no longer transferring force, it’s trying to decelerate force. 

In order to decelerate high speeds you need to generate an equal and opposite force, and quite instantly. This is why people take one step off at high speeds and their legs immediately buckle and they collapse into a faceplant. No average person is generating that kind of force that quickly from one leg to transfer high speeds into “upward” momentum. 

The correct way to do a run out bail is to try and turnover/cycle the legs as quickly as possible. 

It’s like a treadmill; you already have all this horizontal velocity from the wheel, all you should focus on is turning over your legs with minimal ground contact time. There is a reason why people can run 25mph on a treadmill (world class speed) but are no where near world class sprint levels on a track. The treadmill guys figured out they don’t need to produce the velocity, they just need to cycle their legs really quickly so they don’t collapse or fly off it. 

This is the premise behind a sprinters “overspeed training” where someone/something is towing you at faster speeds than you could achieve alone. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, csmyers said:

Imagine how pole vaulting works - your first step is similar to the planting of the pole. So from the first step you've gained some air, but slowed your speed immensely.

Quoted for posterity😂 Of what NOT to do.

I’m sure you’ve seen those poles SNAP before from that plant. That’s your knee. 

It’s called running off for a reason. You’re not trying to decelerate. Anyone who tries to decelerate their momentum from a bail is moronic. You turnover your legs really quickly to run off AND THEN when the speed is manageable you can decelerate.

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 1