New Inmotion V10 / V10F

Pingouin

Patent trolling accusations against Shane Chen are patently unfair (yuk yuk yuk). He barely made anything off the entire hoverboard craze despite being identifiably the creator of the idea. If he gave birth to the idea he deserves to get paid. Full stop. 

And since I have stopped just lurking this thread I feel I ought to mention that I am 100% on board with as much safety as we can get in a wheel. I will happily take a 15mph wheel that has no history or occurrence of failure over a 30mph one that might fail 0.5% of the time over the life of the device. My face is too pretty to skip of the pavement, thankyouverymuch. 

I am planning to buy a V10F and potentially a Z10 as well. 

• Like 1

@brjohnso Yup, if you search the US Patent library, you don't need to convince anyone on filing, there are literally hundreds I believe on EUC/gyroscopic tech.

It's defending those patents that's the tough part.

A small business cannot compete with billion-dollar company backing and legal teams, hence why I believe neither KS nor Gotway exist on US soil or are bothering to gain US patents, settling for 3rd party distributors as their vessel into the US market.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nerdtothewise said:

I will happily take a 15mph wheel that has no history or occurrence of failure over a 30mph one that might fail 0.5% of the time over the life of the device.

That already exists, and it's called the Gotway MCM2 & MCM3, they've been around for years and have reputations for being rock solid, so I've heard in this community.

But no one's getting hyped over a 4+ year old model wheel.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

A small business cannot compete with billion-dollar company backing and legal teams, hence why I believe neither KS nor Gotway exist on US soil or are bothering to gain US patents, settling for 3rd party distributors as their vessel into the US market.

Being based outside the US won't save you if the patent holder takes an ITC action to block importation of the product. True, it can be hard for a small company to enforce its patents, but that doesn't mean that the patents can't be enforced by someone else. If the small company's patents are actually good enforceable patents, what usually happens is the multi-billion dollar company just buys the smaller one to get their technology. The smaller company gets absorbed, and the founders of the smaller company become multi-millionaires. Not necessarily a bad thing....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, brjohnso said:

If the small company's patents are actually good enforceable patents, what usually happens is the multi-billion dollar company just buys the smaller one to get their technology. The smaller company gets absorbed, and the founders of the smaller company become multi-millionaires. Not necessarily a bad thing....

Yup, sounds pretty much like how Ninebot, with XiaoMi backing, purchased Segway US to fight and counter Inventist's lawsuit against them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I hope you don’t mind me transporting your web site photos over to this topic for further discussion. We have all been waiting patiently for more information on the V10/V10F especially new descriptive  photographs.

I was given instructions to not post these pictures until 4pm PST, perhaps the timezone wasn't specified for our European counterparts... 

Based on AliExpress source for the battery size, they've managed to fit double the number cells 80 vs. 40 in what looks to be the same body dimensions as the V8, this is really quite the achievement, exceeding what was hoped for two years ago when the V8 was first unveiled. 

In 2017, the most popular Wheel sold around the World was the V8; with these very substantial improvements to their 16" Wheel, it's reasonable to expect that demand for this model will continue unabated.

On 7/25/2016 at 8:43 AM, Jason McNeil said:

If I were responsible for the design, I would have advocated using the same handle as the V5F & use the internal space for 60 instead of 40 cells.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

@Justina Welcome back! Thanks for the updates! I hope you don’t mind me transporting your web site photos over to this topic for further discussion. We have all been waiting patiently for more information on the V10/V10F especially new descriptive  photographs.

I really like the design of the new pedals. Wider and longer. The introduction of the aluminum alloy magnalium for added strength is promising. It will be interesting to see how much more gripping power the rubber pads have over the traditional abrasive friction tape. I don’t want to spike these pedals.;)

39963531775_abe5391afe_b.jpg

I like the idea of ‘soft distinguishable pads’ . It would be nice to feel how ergonomically pleasing these new cushioned leg supports actually are.

40857718281_2c231d075d_b.jpg

I love the design of ‘scorpion stinger’ trolley handle and how it folds and collapses into the shell’s body.

40149195364_1714e9f605_b.jpg

So glad the dedicated ‘motor disengagement’ button under the handle remains incorporated in the V10/V10F.

25986077507_8398c5227d_b.jpg

Inmotion definately did their engineering homework. I’m so looking forward to the release!

Those pedals look good, supposed to be more comfortable, wonder if the rubber is soft enough to act like cushions or shock absorbers. 

The external handle leaves more room in the case for batteries.  

The new side pads look much more comfortable, but my legs don't touch the shell much while riding, pads aren't really necessary for just plain riding.

Edited by steve454

On March 15, 2018 at 4:22 PM, nerdtothewise said:

Patent trolling accusations against Shane Chen are patently unfair (yuk yuk yuk). He barely made anything off the entire hoverboard craze despite being identifiably the

I believe the patent trolling for the EUC is very fair in regards to Shane. The real creator of the self balancing unicycle made a deal with Shane, who then signed a contract stating that, then went around that agreement to file his own using the originators technology. He was also not the originator of the hoverboard, having stolen that idea from the same person who is now working on an even more brillant vehicle that I have been sworn to secrecy over.

shane is a great businessman, but a lousy inventor. He shouldnt have been so greedy. If he had decided to combine with the real inventor he would not be in such a victim posture moving forward, and probably would be honored as a real innovator. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

Based on AliExpress source for the battery size, they've managed to fit double the number cells 80 vs. 40 in what looks to be the same body dimensions as the V8, this is really quite the achievement, exceeding what was hoped for two years ago when the V8 was first unveiled. 

Guessing the wider shell allotment for a 2.5” wide tire helped squeeze those extra cells into the V10, along with InMotion ‘s preference to build higher, not wider (wish all EUC co’s adopter this wheel-building philosophy)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

I believe the patent trolling for the EUC is very fair in regards to Shane. The real creator of the self balancing unicycle made a deal with Shane, who then signed a contract stating that, then went around that agreement to file his own using the originators technology. He was also not the originator of the hoverboard, having stolen that idea from the same person who is now working on an even more brillant vehicle that I have been sworn to secrecy over.

shane is a great businessman, but a lousy inventor. He shouldnt have been so greedy. If he had decided to combine with the real inventor he would not be in such a victim posture moving forward, and probably would be honored as a real innovator. 

So you are implying that there is a secret inventor "actually" responsible for the wheel and the hoverboard? What? 

Here is a real news source marking him as the likely party responsible for hoverboard: https://www.npr.org/2015/12/03/458361229/the-hoverboard-mystery-where-did-the-holidays-hot-product-come-from

11 minutes ago, nerdtothewise said:

So you are implying that there is a secret inventor "actually" responsible for the wheel and the hoverboard? What? 

Here is a real news source marking him as the likely party responsible for hoverboard: https://www.npr.org/2015/12/03/458361229/the-hoverboard-mystery-where-did-the-holidays-hot-product-come-from

This guy and I know more than NPR ever will care toimage.thumb.jpeg.1d6807c5022eb34a96315add28c54223.jpeg

On 3/16/2018 at 6:57 AM, brjohnso said:

Patent litigation is indeed very expensive. It can cost a few million USD to litigate a patent from start to finish. However, I think that provides a good motivation for filing some of your own patents, even if they are just improvements and features added to existing designs. For example, I'm sure there have been advances in safety algorithms, application design, battery management systems, and control systems over the years. Patenting those improvements, even those improvements that you have considered but not yet implemented, can be relatively affordable. Owning some patents of your own can provide some leverage to settle future patent disputes without the need to resort to full blown litigation, or pay excessive licensing fees.

Yes, it's true, we can use them to license to each other if a conflict happens. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, RayRay said:

I need to find a better link as a starting point for my (Google Patents) investigation of euc history; (maybe 'powered unicycle')...

Some cool/familiar images I found just poking around...

Here's a 2002-ish Kiwano-like design. (Neat!) :popcorn:

00060001.png00050001.png

1920's Pole Monocycle (no motor) :(

US1585258-0.png

1960's era: Single-Wheeled 'Toys'  :laughbounce2:

US2802300-0.png

US3306626-1.png

80's: "What were they thinking/(smoking)..." :blink:

US4241931-1.png

Wow, it's all been thought of already, 50 years ago.  But nothing was ever on the market.  So all those patents were useless.

I like the modern way better, make something now and settle with any patent holder later.

Just searching through all the millions of patents to make sure an idea is not infringing would stop all progress.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"Occupant-Propelled Plaything Having A Single Wheel"  (1967 Tadao Kawada) Not exactly catchy, but pretty much sums it up for me.  Try yelling that as a reply to "hey, what is that thing?"

I might just call it a "Tadao Kawada" for short.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1