THE HELMET THREAD

On 6/6/2020 at 1:24 AM, Jon Stern said:

What depth are you diving to? GoPro cameras are rated down to 10m (33ft) without a housing since HERO5.

I very much doubt Olympus will make a follow up. Their camera business is struggling (they've just completely withdrawn from S. Korea), and their share of the action camera market is tiny.

It's also virtually impossible to have a better sensor for low light, as a larger sensor means a shallower depth of field. Action cameras have to keep everything from selfie to infinity simultaneously in focus. If the sensor size increase, the focal length of the lens increases, so the depth of field decreases. If the lens aperture gets bigger to let more light in, the depth of field decreases again (unless the lens FOV is increased, but that has it's own issues).

Improvements in low light for actions cameras need to come from elsewhere.

Im a deep diver but prefer reefs above 30m to get more air time (and colours). So for me its fine to dive without housing, as long as i keep the battery door lint free (as with all under water cameras / housings). Found some info on it, seems like i can (barely) stand on it :-D but on EUC its more about shock than weight ;-)

The TG-Tracker is waterproof to a depth of 30m, can withstand a drop from a height of 2.1m, will operate in temperatures down to -10C and can withstand pressure of up to 100Kg.

On low light subjectO

Ohthats why. Well if they can do pixel binning and super pixels on smart phones paired with real OIS, Immsure they  could figure something out :)

22 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

On low light subjectO

Ohthats why. Well if they can do pixel binning and super pixels on smart phones paired with real OIS, Immsure they  could figure something out :)

You can do pixel binning, but it doesn't give you that much improvement. In real viewing situations where individual pixels aren't typically seen (they're averaged by the display, human visual acuity limitations, etc.) the difference is reduced from the simple assumption of 6dB to something more less (like 3dB).

OIS also isn't a silver bullet for video, as the exposure time is limited by the frame period (33ms for 30fps). OIS improves photos, and in video it could help keep the EIS working down to lower lux levels.

Whatever happens, I just can't see Olympus persisting with their TG-Tracker line. Even in Japan they don't have much market share.

On 6/8/2020 at 10:57 AM, fbhb said:

I too use and can recommend the Bell Super DH, especially as it is also "Down Hill" rated! (as it's name suggests)

Have been using this helmet too. Zero regrets.

Barstow_Death_ Strap.jpg

• Like 1

Apparently the airbag helmet is by far the safest helmet.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/worlds-safest-bicycle-helmet-is-actually-an-airbag-hovding-3-144676.html

My concern is that the airbag wouldn't know to deploy if you stood on an EUC versus if you rode seated on a bicycle.

6 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Apparently the airbag helmet is by far the safest helmet.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/worlds-safest-bicycle-helmet-is-actually-an-airbag-hovding-3-144676.html

My concern is that the airbag wouldn't know to deploy if you stood on an EUC versus if you rode seated on a bicycle.

This has been discussed here before. It’s not suited for EUC use. Even the manufacturers said so after someone enquired.

No face protection, and might not deploy with our types of crash, or might deploy when we wouldn’t want it to.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

This has been discussed here before. It’s not suited for EUC use. Even the manufacturers said so after someone enquired.

No face protection, and might not deploy with our types of crash, or might deploy when we wouldn’t want it to.

If that Hovding could be modified for EUC usage...

On 4/12/2020 at 8:06 PM, fbhb said:

Just to follow up on a recent post I made, stating that my helmet collecting is getting out of control, here is the proof (maybe I need some sort of counselling for the issue!!!) 

This is a New photo I took today including the Newly acquired Bell Super DH and the "Gorgeous" TSG Pro Carbon Trace Edition (which is definitely my New favorite helmet, but yet to be worn!). 

The two skate style helmets were only used in the beginning stages and DO NOT get used for EUC use now, as I prefer and have always used Full Faced protection ever since I learned to ride!

Helmet-Collection1.jpg

Sweet!

On 6/8/2020 at 5:18 AM, Unventor said:

It all depends what you seek. I found the TSG Pass being fairly quiet regarding wind noise. But then again it is a visor ff helmet. You still hear some traffic sounds but not the wind. If you open the visor a 1-3 cm it adds to sound and ventilation but still not much wind notice. 

I think it is due to be very aerodynamic. So as soon it is windy I only use my TSG pass helmets. My mc helmet has a houling wind noice and heavy compared and main reason why I hardly use it anymore.

I  have the same helmet as you and think there is a difference in QC between the TSG Pass (fiberglass, I believe) and TSG Pass Pro (carbon fiber), which TSG stopped producing a year ago. I have faceplanted twice on hard pavement with mine and didn't feel anything above the shoulders, despite direct impacts to the shield and chin. I was concerned when I first wore the helmet because it is so snug and close to the face, but I trust this helmet and expect it to last many years. I agree that it is near silent with the faceshield closed completely, compared to an open helmet like the Bell Super, which I wear in hot weather.

On 6/10/2020 at 9:44 PM, Jon Stern said:

The "someone" was me, and they _seriously_ adviced me not to rely on the hovding on a unicycle. The hovding is dependent on an accelerometer and serious analysis of bicycle fall situations. That is crashing into cars, skidding, falling over the handlebar etcetera. There is a certain geometry to bicycle falls, and that geometry isn't the same as our falls.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2020 at 10:29 AM, Robert Boyd said:

Hi There, looking at the Icon helmets myself! How did you find this, and has anyone else purchased the Icon for EUC?

I got this through Dennis Kirk, got a deal on it for $200. It is definitely very safe, but I'm feeling it can be a bit heavy and hot at times. I'm thinking about getting a TSG pass because they are lighter, although they do not have the DOT safety rating.

I have been looking to long and now I have overwhelmed myself.  I would like a full face helmet with a shield over goggles.  Think TSG pass...  It is for commuting in Seattle which can be rainy, so I think a shield would be better than like a Fox ProFrame.  I also ride a motorcycle, and it would be nice if it was dot or ece rated. That being said it increases the weight and ventilation efficiency is usually an issue with motorcycle helmets at slower speeds.  So what would my best bet be for a Full Face Shield helm?

Anyone here using a rear view helmet? From what I understand the rear view is digitally generated from a camera on the back... is that how it is? Is it usb or battery charged? Looking at them on eBay they are quite pricey -- going around $300-400!? But for a first time helmet user, first time wheel rider, and first time planning to ride on busy roads, I want my head to look only straight and I would totally rely on the rear view particularly in the darkness. Need to know what is behind me and in my blind spots that normally side view mirrors will miss.

Advises and suggestions? Any tips I have to know before I start measuring my head and trying to figure out what size to buy?

Edited by jmsjms

15 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

Anyone here using a rear view helmet? From what I understand the rear view is digitally generated from a camera on the back... is that how it is? 

If you are referring to the Reevu it is optical.  Uses mirrors.  

Reevu has been around for a while but until your post triggered my interest I had not known about them.  Here's a review on a flip up version.  The review dates back to 2014.

Bruce

That's the model that I was looking at.

(I am correcting my post from earlier.) If it's optical, then I was thinking that it wouldn't work at night because it has no digital display... but now I am thinking that if the traffic behind me is using lights, then I would be able to see the traffic behind... because the optics wouldn't cheat me.

Edited by jmsjms
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

That's the model that I was looking at. If it's optical, then that pretty much wouldn't work for me then, because half of my ride will be before sunrise.

A member of the forum was working on installing a rear view cam with a heads up display.  Here's the link.

Bruce

Thanks PennBruce, but it's too techy for me. I am not good with wires and technical configurations... plus he has the display being held by his hands and I don't believe I can handle that and look down at high speed. My head would need to only look forward and nowhere else. So I will most likely end up getting that helmet with the rear view, unless I find something else.

18 hours ago, jmsjms said:

So I will most likely end up getting that helmet with the rear view, unless I find something else.

Great, let us know how you like it.

Bruce

Ordered this helmet on May 22nd from China. Just came yesterday. I’m greatly disappointed. It’s crap, flimsy and super uncomfortable. Was avoiding spending over $200 on a helmet,  but shot myself in the foot. This one was almost $80 with shipping. Total crap. Looking for something that won’t make me look like bubble head with a huge noggin, which is comfortable to ride in the hot summer days. I have a full face bell for colder weather,  it it is unbearable at 80+ degree weather. 

D0AB8F53-DBD5-47AF-8969-42BCE285E5EC.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Albatross said:

This one was almost $80 with shipping.

Here's a Demon Podium, full face, light weight and relatively inexpensive.  I purchased it in February for under $65 from Amazon.628067348_DemonHelmet.thumb.jpg.72d1865f54502ceb806ed08bb2b51d50.jpg

Bruce

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PennBruce said:

Here's a Demon Podium, full face, light weight and relatively inexpensive.  I purchased it in February for under $65 from Amazon.628067348_DemonHelmet.thumb.jpg.72d1865f54502ceb806ed08bb2b51d50.jpg

Bruce

I have one too. Only in red and black. Not the lightest, but I’m very happy with it.

On 7/1/2020 at 6:48 PM, Albatross said:

Ordered this helmet on May 22nd from China. Just came yesterday. I’m greatly disappointed. It’s crap, flimsy and super uncomfortable. Was avoiding spending over $200 on a helmet,  but shot myself in the foot. This one was almost $80 with shipping. Total crap. Looking for something that won’t make me look like bubble head with a huge noggin, which is comfortable to ride in the hot summer days. I have a full face bell for colder weather,  it it is unbearable at 80+ degree weather. 

D0AB8F53-DBD5-47AF-8969-42BCE285E5EC.jpeg

This sounds like a variant of the saying that nothing is as expensive as trying to save money...

• Like 2