THE HELMET THREAD

11 hours ago, yon said:

I was hoping if it could stop a ball at 80 mph I might be ok. :cry2:.  If you do not hear from me again you were right.

Well I'm sure it will "stop" the ground the question is how it will affect your head, like how well will it follow your head, will you get the face guard in your face, will it actually stop your chin from touching the ground, what will happen to your neck? Those sort of minor questions that could be interesting in a crash. 😅

I saw here, at 1 minute, a test of the chin guard of a Bell helmet, is it normal that the chin guard deforms and gets very close to the jaw? (With a risk for the teeth and jaw).

Does a helmet with a fixed chin guard behave the same way?

42 minutes ago, dani31 said:

I saw here, at 1 minute, a test of the chin guard of a Bell helmet, is it normal that the chin guard deforms and gets very close to the jaw? (With a risk for the teeth and jaw).

As you can see on most FF helmets the chin guard is quite large, I'm guessing it's designed to fold this way purposefully to cushion the impact, much like how a car is designed to fold in certain places like the hood and engine compartment, if the helmet is certified it means it is tested and approved so I would also guess it won't hit your jaw.

The one question mark is that people use helmets designed and tested for bicycle speeds and then ride up to 60-70km/h on an EUC, don't know what kind of impact they are testing when they certify the helmets but hopefully enough to cover an impact at those speeds too. 😋

20 hours ago, Rawnei said:

The one question mark is that people use helmets designed and tested for bicycle speeds and then ride up to 60-70km/h on an EUC, don't know what kind of impact they are testing when they certify the helmets but hopefully enough to cover an impact at those speeds too. 😋

Those bicycle helmets are not sufficient at those high speeds at EUC. You only have to take a look inside and see how the padding is thin and judge your self. Light helmet is nice and cool but don't absorb impact as good as moto style heavy helmets with thick inside cushion. It' all about the risk what you are willing to take. One thing to consider is that visor on impact. Will it break off or will it make your head whip backwards on face plant. After riding with helmet with aerodynamic shape I went and took off that visor and man what a difference on windy days. No more tugging feeling at your neck when blast of wind hits your head.

20 hours ago, Rawnei said:

As you can see on most FF helmets the chin guard is quite large, I'm guessing it's designed to fold this way purposefully to cushion the impact, much like how a car is designed to fold in certain places like the hood and engine compartment, if the helmet is certified it means it is tested and approved so I would also guess it won't hit your jaw.

It's very good that Bell has that large chin guard as seeing that clip. If close to chin models like Ruroc flex that much also I bet it will brake your smile.

Posting the following links and information:

First, do you need a full-face downhill bike helmet or a motorcycle helmet (you definitely want to protect your chin and teeth). The answer is a function of how fast you plan to go. Of course, you can always choose a motorcycle helmet knowing that you are "overprotected", but you pay for it in weight, adding about about 500g minimum.  There are many very good low priced motorcycle helmets, so price is really not the determinant.

If you do look at motorcycle helmets, be sure to check British SHARP ratings here: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/  There are quite a few 5 star budget helmets.

Based on my uni and habits, I zeroed in on a downhill bike helmet, which means I only considered helmets that meet the ASTM F1952 standard.  Many "downhill" helmets do not meet that standard.  Price was an issue, so these were the budget helmets that met the standard.  In cases where it was unclear from website descriptions, I called the manufacturer. Helmets and approx weight (size dependent) and cost below:

• Triple Eight Invader $75 1000g (discontinued but still available)
  • Kali Zoka $109 980g
  • 7iDP Bike-Helmets Project 23 ABS $149 880g
  • Fox Head Rampage $139 1160g
  • Giro disciple $179 1150g

Bargain helmets that did NOT meet the standard: O'Neal Sonus Deft, O'Neal Fury RL II , Fly Racing Default Full-Face , Bell Exodus, DEMON UNITED Podium, Bell Drop BMX, 7iDP M1, Bell Servo Adult BMX  

I ordered both the Triple Eight and the Kali.  I ended up choosing the Kali based on fit, weight, and ventilation, but it was close and I would recommend the Triple 8 as well.  It is the only fiberglass shell helmet of those above. Kali offers a free replacement helmet if you crash and return the helmet to them (real world testing), so that's a bonus. In my calls with both Kali and 7idp, I got knowledgeable and helpful answers from the first person who picked up the call.  That was impressive and refreshing.

As you step up from the budget helmets above you get features such MIPS or MIPS-like protection and pricier shells such as fiberglass and carbon fiber. The jury is still out on MIPS, but perhaps worth gambling on.  Until you really spend though, you don't get much weight reduction because the MIPS adds weight even if the shell reduces weight.  The exotic shells themselves really don't add safety, so for me they are not worth the price on their own.

Hope this helps.

Edited by SaidWhatWhen

On 9/5/2020 at 9:43 AM, Rawnei said:

So I made my choice and ordered the IXS Trigger FF full-face helmet, it's certified, the largest version the M/L is the one that I ordered and it only comes in at only 660g, the smaller version is under 600g, has really good ventilation (and maybe also better hearing with all those vent holes?), magnetic strap. It comes in a bunch of colors but I chose black (of course 😅) thinking a goggle strap will add a spruce of color anyway. A lot of positive reviews praising it for it's comfort, lightness and cooling, it was made to be worn for long rides and riders seem to like it for that.

IXS.jpg

Had this helmet for a while now and super happy with it, comfy, light, good airflow, good hearing of your surroundings, you almost forget you are wearing it, do recommend.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 1:52 AM, dani31 said:

I fell at about 30kmh wearing a Bell Super Air R a couple weeks ago and the chin bar absolutely behaved like in the video, except it also snapped and took a small chunk out of my chin. No broken bones/teeth so it did it's job, but at faster speeds I don't think it would be strong enough to provide much protection on impact. I know it isn't DH rated, maybe that's why.

Hi all,

Do you think Cratoni C-Maniac MX is enough for KS16S speed ?

It is ASTM certified.

I asked the question in the comments on this youtube video, and they answered yes, but I'd like to have your opinion.

I like it because it is quite compact, I hesitate a lot between this one and the Bell Super Air R, the Cratoni is a little more discreet.

Thank you :)

Hi

I bought the Bell Super Air R.

I have a question, when I push a little hard on the chin guard I get to touch my chin, you too ? In the event of a frontal impact, it may be dangerous for the chin. 

The sides are the same, because the foam which is hard, so if we fall on the sides it's the same.

What do you think ?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, dani31 said:

Hi

I bought the Bell Super Air R.

I have a question, when I push a little hard on the chin guard I get to touch my chin, you too ? In the event of a frontal impact, it may be dangerous for the chin. 

The sides are the same, because the foam which is hard, so if we fall on the sides it's the same.

What do you think ?

Thank you.

that doesnt seem safe. I had the same issue with the tsg pass and i sold it out because it didnt feel safe for the same reasons.

Excuse me for my English, I am French.

If I tighten the chinstrap by leaving one or two fingers, and I "simulate" a frontal shock by pushing on the chin guard, the helmet goes up towards the chin and even touches it if I press a little hard on it! While making me compress the throat by the strap at the same time! And if I use the chinstrap even more, it goes up less but still touches the chin by pressing a little hard.

So in case of impact it's not good.

At 250€ this helmet I expected much better.

The sides of the chin strap are not padded, it's a very compact, thin and hard foam, so in case of impact on the side, the jaw could be damaged as if there was nothing, at least that's my opinion.

In my opinion there should have been foam on the chin guard on each side that would have prevented the helmet from going up, and would also have protected the chin in case of a side impact.

In case of shock, the pressure will be much more violent than the small force I used to simulate a fall, and since the chinstrap has no foam at all on the inside, the chin will be damaged.

It's a pity aesthetically I like it, but I don't feel at all protected properly.

Excuse me for multiple posts, I can't edit the last one.

8 hours ago, dani31 said:

Excuse me for my English, I am French.

If I tighten the chinstrap by leaving one or two fingers, and I "simulate" a frontal shock by pushing on the chin guard, the helmet goes up towards the chin and even touches it if I press a little hard on it! While making me compress the throat by the strap at the same time! And if I use the chinstrap even more, it goes up less but still touches the chin by pressing a little hard.

So in case of impact it's not good.

At 250€ this helmet I expected much better.

The sides of the chin strap are not padded, it's a very compact, thin and hard foam, so in case of impact on the side, the jaw could be damaged as if there was nothing, at least that's my opinion.

In my opinion there should have been foam on the chin guard on each side that would have prevented the helmet from going up, and would also have protected the chin in case of a side impact.

In case of shock, the pressure will be much more violent than the small force I used to simulate a fall, and since the chinstrap has no foam at all on the inside, the chin will be damaged.

It's a pity aesthetically I like it, but I don't feel at all protected properly.

Excuse me for multiple posts, I can't edit the last one.

its difficult to find a helmet that suits you. i feel its a never ending quest.

Thanks for all your answers, I'm thinking trying the Bell Super 3R, I've watched a lot of videos on youtube and the foams seem to tighten the cheeks.

My head circumference is 56cm and I hesitate between two sizes: S (52-56cm) and M (55-59cm).

Which size would you recommend?

Thank you for your help.

On 9/26/2020 at 7:41 PM, dani31 said:

Thank you, I know a person who has the URGE DRIFT, and in the event of a frontal impact, the foam in front prevents the helmet from moving too far back and touching the chin.

61JzeH3aDQL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I don't know about this. I have an Urge Drift and there is indeed some thin foam on the sides of the jaws that I can make touch my jaw by pressing hard enough. Other helmets just have the plastic/shell? 

After some research and see what most people get in the thread, I chose the Bell Super DH MIPS.

Doesn't feel bulky and fits well. The MIPS design is nice where it is sort of like two helmets in one. My cheeks are too large to easily mount the chin guard while I have the helmet on, but I love it so far.

• 2 months later...

I've been using a bicycle helmet for the past year but I'm getting a faster wheel and wondered about something with a chin guard. I already have a bunch of motorbike helmets but they're all open face as I don't like feeling all enclosed plus I sometimes feel the need to chat to people (often in a friendly way but sometimes not). I definitely don't want anything that makes me look like a storm trooper or hides my face as people - I like to appear as friendly as I can as I ride along especially if I'm riding something illegal. I loved Hsiang's helmet until I saw the price :( 

Does anyone have any suggestions for budget friendly helmet that has a chin guard but doesn't hide the face and isn't brightly coloured?