THE HELMET THREAD

4 minutes ago, jonm42 said:

I guess its a matter of cost :) ...

Comfort on both counts. Not to mention the likelihood. Dropping my euc is a common occurrence. Bashing my skull is less common. Cost is hard to gauge, as medical bills can far exceed most gear. Of courss there's also the dynamic of what it costs the public in increased health care costs. Too many variables and luckily it still boils down to personal choice. SO far, I've luckily paid for all my own medical, so at least the burden hasnt been placed upon the general population. Fwiw, usa still doesnt have a unified health care system and I am not a part of any govt heath programs...

Edited by ShanesPlanet

49 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Comfort on both counts. Not to mention the likelihood. Dropping my euc is a common occurrence. Bashing my skull is less common. Cost is hard to gauge, as medical bills can far exceed most gear. Of courss there's also the dynamic of what it costs the public in increased health care costs.

This is a good point and one which strikes a chord with me. I see it as my public duty to minimise my burden on the (free--ish) public healthcare system which we enjoy in the UK. So I gear up. Others dont give a shit which is their perogative but it annoys me when things go wrong for them and the public has to pick up the bill for their replacement jaw/teeth. 'Accountable', as has been mentioned, springs to mind. I dont give a monkeys if people have to pay for their own risks (as seems to be the case in the US) but quite frankly it takes the piss over here when everything costs nothing more than a 999 call, which come to think of it is free as well.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Planemo said:

This is a good point and one which strikes a chord with me. I see it as my public duty to minimise my burden on the (free--ish) public healthcare system which we enjoy in the UK. So I gear up. Others dont give a shit which is their perogative but it annoys me when things go wrong for them and the public has to pick up the bill for their replacement jaw/teeth. 'Accountable', as has been mentioned, springs to mind. I dont give a monkeys if people have to pay for their own risks (as seems to be the case in the US) but quite frankly it takes the piss over here when everything costs nothing more than a 999 call, which come to think of it is free as well.

tis a delicate balance and slippery slope. Once everyone has to answer to everyone, the freedom to make personal choices, quickly diminishes.  I do know that once we allow the government to wholly decide whats best for us, in the interests of saving $$, fat, old,  diabetics, crippled,skinny etc. .  will be forced to live a certain way, as those lifestyles ultimately cost money too. Its such a HUGE philosophical dilemma and I dont really mean to open pandora's box on that. I for one, am not the poster child for responsibility.  Hell, just the word "live" is philosophical. No fancy teeth for me... can we use the cheaper wire for my jaw? I must be the minority, but when I see a guy and girl on a sport bike in flip flops and tank top, I think to myself "i hope they dont crash, dumbasses". I never think to myself "someone should MAKE them wear full racing leather". Sometimes I get lucky and the rider is wearing a miniskirt too, damn squids... sure do enjoy the video footage tho. :)

Sorry for the derail, but this thread DID lead to my most recent helmet purchase. I hope seeing how mines adjustable, sparks a little interest and just another detail. I have NOTHING against helmets, just as I have nothing against a winter jacket.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

My life neither consists of all or nothing. Sometimes I choose to and sometimes I don't. Same with motorcycles and skateboards. Variety my friend, variety.... I have NO bias on the issue when it concerns others, i dont care what you wear, ride naked... just dont swing that thing at me...

Ive worn helmets since I was 12...sometimes..nothing has changed. Your bias is blatantly clouding your words. Ive many more pics of helmets Ive used, mostly by choice.

DSCN3716.JPG

AzXXpurchaseRide.jpg

myHelmet.thumb.jpg.e24de29b6f98b87f7eceb0234d3c629a.jpg

Your response is much too serious. Maybe you have graphics turned off on your browser but you missed my laughing emoticon. I was not critiquing you in any way. I don't care how anybody rides :thumbup:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Your response is much too serious. Maybe you have graphics turned off on your browser but you missed my laughing emoticon. I was not critiquing you in any way. I don't care how anybody rides :thumbup:

I got the joke. It was just aimed at me and suggested that NONE of my videos are of me riding with a helmet. I dont want people to assume I am against them.  Kneejerk reaction, just as when people assume I dont realize the statistics behind smoking.  It also stems from my fear that eventually the choice will be taken away from me. Even in a helmet free state, I sometimes rode with full lid. Now I'm forced to. Its a sore spot for me.  Its not like you didnt just KNOW I'd take the bait. :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I got the joke. It was just aimed at me and suggested that NONE of my videos are of me riding with a helmet. I dont want people to assume I am against them.  Kneejerk reaction, just as when people assume I dont realize the statistics behind smoking.  It also stems from my fear that eventually the choice will be taken away from me. Even in a helmet free state, I sometimes rode with full lid. Now I'm forced to. Its a sore spot for me.  Its not like you didnt just KNOW I'd take the bait. :)

Maybe because I like your free spirit that I only remember the videos where you ride free B)

• Like 3

Got meself a new summer helmet (xing fingers its cool...as in cold cool..i know its cool cool😁) with MIPS and some cheek protection and included go pro mount (had to remove the cross "cap" for the camera to see and add some adhesive to stabilize the mount, but now it sits pretty nice me thinks)

Shoei for cold winters, got a Salomon ski helmet for autumn (not in pic) and my good old Swe-helmet for the extremely hot days (not as safe but keeps head cool) and a "fun-helmet" 😜

20200519_223230_copy_1209x1209.jpg

Edited by Boogieman

15 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

Got meself a new summer helmet (xing fingers its cool...as in cold cool..i know its cool cool😁) with MIPS and some cheek protection and included go pro mount (had to remove the cross "cap" for the camera to see and add some adhesive to stabilize the mount, but now it sits pretty nice me thinks)

Shoei for cold winters, got a Salomon ski helmet for autumn (not in pic) and my good old Swe-helmet for the extremely hot days (not as safe but keeps head cool) and a "fun-helmet" 😜

20200519_223230_copy_1209x1209.jpg

Oh, wow! You have the Olympus action camera. That's the first one I've seen "in the wild".

I have a TSG pass downhill helmet and I think it's utterly crap, the amount of windnoise is just unbearable.

For the amount of money you pay for it, this is unacceptable.

Instead I've used my 10year old shoei motorhelmet for the passed winter and it was 10 times better.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Slashebeest said:

I have a TSG pass downhill helmet and I think it's utterly crap, the amount of windnoise is just unbearable.

I will admit that there is wind noise when standing straight up. But as soon as you tuck, the noise goes away. I've tested this at 40 mph. The helmet was designed for longboards who always ride in the tucked position. The Pass is quieter than my MTB open face helmet at 40+ mph. If you strictly ride below 30 mph, there are better, cheaper helmets.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Slashebeest said:

For the amount of money you pay for it, this is unacceptable.

Instead I've used my 10year old shoei motorhelmet for the passed winter and it was 10 times better.

I find mine quite noisy as well in the wind, but not more than the Fox proframe (probably the same for all MTB helmets).
It catches les wind than the MTB helmets from a drag point of view. 

Where I was mostly unimpressed was finish: the outer fibre shell was unevenly shaped, resulting in the visor not being very flush with the rubber rim. The interior was even less symmetric, so much that I had to remove the breath guiding horseshoe foam as it was landing on the side of my mouth. Seems like solid enough helmet, but being wobbly and asymmetrical wasn't so premium.

So many pages of posts here that I can't possibly go through all of them. Any particular recommendations for a helmet with a rear view mirror? I looked on eBay... and I had no idea they'd be that expensive, but one way or another I might have to end up buying one of them anyway... particularly for high speed riding.

On 5/19/2020 at 10:53 PM, Jon Stern said:

Oh, wow! You have the Olympus action camera. That's the first one I've seen "in the wild".

Really, i think it's of it doesn't sell better especially now when it's a lot cheaper than a go pro:)

Bought it a few years ago when looking for a dive camera. Choosing between go pro and the Lymp.

What tilted me to Olympus was the better colour saturation under water (and audio) and the fact that you don't need an under water housing. The included under water lens is a must when diving, upside being i don't need a full extra housing (like go pro) when traveling, just a tiny lens. Std fish eye lens is protected with small stand outs... They really covered every aspect in a small package imo (except no protective edges on dive lens). I hope they make a follow up with even better sensor for low light as it becomes a bit dim when diving deep in over cast without the light on (or a torch).

Also it is quite easy to see if you drop it in its lime shimmer. Integrated fold out panel and high power flash/video light (high power for a short while, then it reverts to normal light)  didn't make it any harder to choose. 

Luckily it utilizes go pro mounts so all my go pro gear for my old hero HD can be used.

Only down side is the menus aren't very straight forward, but i got used after a while.

Upside, its easy to turn on when riding the EUC, big button for recording and easy feel lever to turn on power. Set to time lapse 5min should i bump into a reckless driver ;)

I guess the first real euc crash will tell if it really is "tough" as its called in the naming

Edited by Boogieman

46 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

Really, i think it's of it doesn't sell better especially now when it's a lot cheaper than a go pro:)

Bought it a few years ago when looking for a dive camera. Choosing between go pro and the Lymp.

What tilted me to Olympus was the better colour saturation under water (and audio) and the fact that you don't need an under water housing. The included under water lens is a must when diving, upside being i don't need a full extra housing (like go pro) when traveling, just a tiny lens. Std fish eye lens is protected with small stand outs... They really covered every aspect in a small package imo (except no protective edges on dive lens). I hope they make a follow up with even better sensor for low light as it becomes a bit dim when diving deep in over cast without the light on (or a torch).

Also it is quite easy to see if you drop it in its lime shimmer. Integrated fold out panel and high power flash/video light (high power for a short while, then it reverts to normal light)  didn't make it any harder to choose. 

Luckily it utilizes go pro mounts so all my go pro gear for my old hero HD can be used.

Only down side is the menus aren't very straight forward, but i got used after a while.

Upside, its easy to turn on when riding the EUC, big button for recording and easy feel lever to turn on power. Set to time lapse 5min should i bump into a reckless driver ;)

I guess the first real euc crash will tell if it really is "tough" as its called in the naming

What depth are you diving to? GoPro cameras are rated down to 10m (33ft) without a housing since HERO5.

I very much doubt Olympus will make a follow up. Their camera business is struggling (they've just completely withdrawn from S. Korea), and their share of the action camera market is tiny.

It's also virtually impossible to have a better sensor for low light, as a larger sensor means a shallower depth of field. Action cameras have to keep everything from selfie to infinity simultaneously in focus. If the sensor size increase, the focal length of the lens increases, so the depth of field decreases. If the lens aperture gets bigger to let more light in, the depth of field decreases again (unless the lens FOV is increased, but that has it's own issues).

Improvements in low light for actions cameras need to come from elsewhere.

On 5/14/2020 at 7:28 AM, Marty Backe said:

I've had this Bell Super Air R for a few weeks now. I love everything about.

Just added some wheel branding to give it a little EUC character B)

IMG_1461

IMG_1469

Now that you’ve had it for a while are you still liking it? I’m almost ready to buy one. Does it have a lot of wind noises? That’s my #1 reason to upgrade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

Now that you’ve had it for a while are you still liking it? I’m almost ready to buy one. Does it have a lot of wind noises? That’s my #1 reason to upgrade. 

I've been wearing this helmet a lot. Absolutely love it and have zero regrets.

I'm not sure how to answer your question about wind noise. It's a totally open helmet so of course it doesn't block any wind from hitting your face. It hasn't struck me as a particularly noisy helmet.

P.s. The beak doesn't offer much Sun protection when low because the beak doesn't extend very far in front of the helmet. I suppose that would be my only complaint but then again it's better than most motorcycle helmets that have no beak.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm not sure how to answer your question about wind noise. It's a totally open helmet so of course it doesn't block any wind from hitting your face. It hasn't struck me as a particularly noisy helmet.

P.s. The beak doesn't offer much Sun protection when low because the beak doesn't extend very far in front of the helmet. I suppose that would be my only complaint but then again it's better than most motorcycle helmets that have no beak.

I use the Bell Super DH myself, which seems pretty close to the Super Air R in most respects. It is super comfortable and well spent money.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, I was looking at that beak and saw that it rests quite high. Probably blocks the sun only at mid day. 

The noise issue I have is coming from the side structure of my Cratoni C-maniac cheap helmet. If I put something between my face and the structure, it's a lot quieter. So I think probably any helmet that has some padding at the cheeks is quieter. Just wanted to make sure that it's not particularly loud. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

I use the Bell Super DH myself, which seems pretty close to the Super Air R in most respects. It is super comfortable and well spent money.

I too use and can recommend the Bell Super DH, especially as it is also "Down Hill" rated! (as it's name suggests)

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

It all depends what you seek. I found the TSG Pass being fairly quiet regarding wind noise. But then again it is a visor ff helmet. You still hear some traffic sounds but not the wind. If you open the visor a 1-3 cm it adds to sound and ventilation but still not much wind notice. 

I think it is due to be very aerodynamic. So as soon it is windy I only use my TSG pass helmets. My mc helmet has a houling wind noice and heavy compared and main reason why I hardly use it anymore.

• Like 3