THE HELMET THREAD

On 7/1/2020 at 12:48 PM, Albatross said:

Ordered this helmet on May 22nd from China. Just came yesterday. I’m greatly disappointed. It’s crap, flimsy and super uncomfortable. Was avoiding spending over $200 on a helmet,  but shot myself in the foot. This one was almost $80 with shipping. Total crap. Looking for something that won’t make me look like bubble head with a huge noggin, which is comfortable to ride in the hot summer days. I have a full face bell for colder weather,  it it is unbearable at 80+ degree weather. 

Yeah I searched for something cheap as well, I said fuck it, it's for my fucking safety and comfort and spent 400$CAD on a Bell Super Air R. No regrets, so comfy, so vented, so versatile and not much sound dampening... Highly recommend.

On the cheaper side, I tried the Kali Zoka seems like a good protection but not vented enough for 80F/30C+ rides and the sound is dampened a lot.

Just bought this one from a thrift store. Seemed very comfortable. I don't know about the quality and durability. Hopefully, I don't get to test it by crashing my head.

IMG-20200709-162020.jpg

IMG-20200709-162025.jpg

IMG-20200709-162046.jpg

IMG-20200709-162108.jpg

Edited by jmsjms

For a few days I have been using a Fox rampage 2020 which is fairly affordable at about 140$

Small review: The overall feeling is solid and well assembled in spite of some moulding seams and material color differences. The inner lining is thick and comfy. Outer sound is slightly restricted due to the cushioning, maybe on par with the TSG Pass. The weight is about the same at 1Kg. Ventilation is better than the pass but probably not fit for very hot environments.

My other helmets are Décathlon Oxello, Fox Proframe, TSG Pass. The Rampage seem to be an in between at a lower price point.

If any questions go ahead, there isn’t much to say, it is comfy and seems solid enough for the price. Sizing is normal, head 57, medium size.

image.jpeg.17ea5f2e54531d67a675cb6dd2b1a074.jpeg

Edited by null
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, null said:

My other helmets are Décathlon Oxello, Fox Proframe, TSG Pass. The Rampage seem to be an in between at a lower price point.

are  you a reviewer/tester/enthusiast of helmets? guess im wondering why did you decide to buy it, when the proframe is their lightest model i think, which shoudl be good for summer and the tsg pass should be decent for colder weather riding?

• Like 1

The reason I got it if for at my mothers place in a different country. Needed an affordable helmet to have leave there.

Pass and Proframe are complementing (?) each other where I live most of the year. As you say, summer / winter.

A side note about MTB helmets though: they have quite a bit of wind drag. I suspect it might eat some range if riding fast. This will probably be my last MTB helmet for EUC use (anyhow, just some rambling..)

Edited by null

I'm on my third helmet.

For winter use I have an LS2 adventure MC-helmet, which is pretty good. But for me it was a total MUST to get an anti fogging screen for it, it fogs up in ten seconds if the temp outside is on the cooler side.

But as soon as the outside temp allows, I switch to my Bell Super DH, which is light, comfy, has better peripheral vision and MIPS. It was not cheap, but easily worth every cent. It might well have a slightly higher wind drag, as @null said, but I don't care. The combination of comfort and safety is exactly what I want.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2020 at 5:52 PM, null said:

For a few days I have been using a Fox rampage 2020 which is fairly affordable at about 140$

Small review: The overall feeling is solid and well assembled in spite of some moulding seams and material color differences. The inner lining is thick and comfy. Outer sound is slightly restricted due to the cushioning, maybe on par with the TSG Pass. The weight is about the same at 1Kg. Ventilation is better than the pass but probably not fit for very hot environments.

If any questions go ahead, there isn’t much to say, it is comfy and seems solid enough for the price. Sizing is normal, head 57, medium size.

image.jpeg.17ea5f2e54531d67a675cb6dd2b1a074.jpeg

I own a matte grey one. Yes on comfort ! 

• POC Crane ($120) for 12-ish mph when I was riding the OneWheel and learning on my King Song 16S
  • Demon Podium ($130) for 20 mph on my upgrade, the King Song 16X
  • Now upgraded to the Bell Full 9 Carbon ($450) for going towards 30+ mph on the KS-16X and a planned Veteran Sherman, Gotway Monster  Gotway Monster Pro

It's pretty amazing how comfortable the Bell Full 9 Carbon is, I highly recommend it. You forget you're even wearing it. 
I feel very protected, so can’t wait to test it on a huge faceplant over 30 mph! :)

IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_1826-1.jpg

IMG_1828-1.jpg

Edited by postbio

1 hour ago, Blicky Te️la said:

Yes, inspired by his video.

I looked at the POC as well after seeing Hsaing's video, but decided to go with Bell 3R.  The POC is a skiing helmet, I would imagine my dome cooking in the 90+ degree weather we are having and went with the Bell.

13 hours ago, Albatross said:

I looked at the POC as well after seeing Hsaing's video, but decided to go with Bell 3R.  The POC is a skiing helmet, I would imagine my dome cooking in the 90+ degree weather we are having and went with the Bell.

Between the whole face being ope, and the helmet vents on the top and front (both of which have a switch to open/close) I felt really cool and comfortable on my one ride with it.

6 hours ago, Daley1 said:

Whats with the "breakway system " written on the side of the chin bar on the POC?What breaks ,your chin or the bar and then u eat gravel??

It comes with three different “washers”

one is “Easy breakaway, apparently for young kids and others susceptible to neck injurie

then intermediate/hard

then no breakaway...

48 minutes ago, Steef Klonoa said:

Sweet! That's not far from me. Don't even have to ship! Thanks man I will check with them.

I literally made an appointment two days ago to try on a Marsh green TSG pass. Way too tight for my huge dome but I always try to support local when I can.

On 7/24/2020 at 1:58 AM, Blicky Te️la said:

It comes with three different “washers”

one is “Easy breakaway, apparently for young kids and others susceptible to neck injurie

then intermediate/hard

then no breakaway...

So how do you know which one to use?

On 7/2/2020 at 1:48 AM, Albatross said:

Ordered this helmet on May 22nd from China. Just came yesterday. I’m greatly disappointed. It’s crap, flimsy and super uncomfortable. Was avoiding spending over $200 on a helmet,  but shot myself in the foot. This one was almost $80 with shipping. Total crap. Looking for something that won’t make me look like bubble head with a huge noggin, which is comfortable to ride in the hot summer days. I have a full face bell for colder weather,  it it is unbearable at 80+ degree weather. 

Same here, just received my Cairbull and it's disappointing, the size regulator is kind of in an akward position so it grabs my skull from below and does not fit properly.

I don't have a big head but I've never had such problems with "one size fits all" helmets - even chinese ones.

EDIT: I added some of the protective stuff I had on my pedals on front and back with double tape and now it fits much better:

IMG_20200803_195335.jpg.df6cd985eedd69839e2c9e1c6cc89017.jpg

IMG_20200803_195321.jpg.77f65df7e218e955faf6d78bf44e5bbc.jpg

Edited by Coco66

I ended up getting a Smith Mainline. It's strange how well it fits my head, in a good way. I also appreciate that the liner allows the helmet to rotate around my head a bit during impact. I believe it might actually reduce rotational injury to the brain as advertised. Equally important, it may also reduce the chance of unscrewing a couple of my cervical discs when that big chin guard (read leaver/force magnifier) hits the ground a bit off center.

It's also super light, but on the warm side. I like the kicker style helmet above, it would be even better if your ears were more exposed. I find listening for traffic in the full face a bit more difficult than I expected.