THE HELMET THREAD

Thats great! What color you end up with, stealth black? All i've left to source, the same thing i havent found for years.... good pants. My jacket is mesh and so cool, it handles my shoulders and elbows and back. Its comfy enough that even enjoy riding it in 90degree weather(tbh the back pad does get a tad warm, but comforting to know its there). Knee pads for me never stay in place as my pants never fit. Still on the hunt for knee pads that work and arent bulky, or custom pants with knees/hips in them.  What other gear you got? Maybe the wife is feeling generous and you better kit out NOW, before she changes her mind?!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

3 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Thats great! What color you end up with? All i've left to source, the same thing i havent found for years.... good pants. My jacket is mesh and so cool, it handles my shoulders and elbows and back. Its comfy enough that even enjoy riding it in 90degree weather(tbh the back pad does get a tad warm, but comforting to know its there). Knee pads for me never stay in place as my pants never fit. Still on the hunt for knee pads that work and arent bulky, or custom pants with knees/hips in them.  What other gear you got? Maybe the wife is feeling generous and you better kit out NOW, before she changes her mind?!

There were only three colors on sale so I got the stealth black over the black/pink and the "grey" that looked baby blue.  The black was out of stock most places in M/L already but I checked like 3 pages deep on Google until I found a store that still had that color/size in stock and on sale.

Next is knee/shin guards and either elbow guards or a mesh jacket.  I was meaning to get a mesh motorcycle jacket when I moved here but then I sold my bike so I never got one.  Now I'm thinking it may be a little much for EUC, might try to get something more MTB focused and mesh.  I think Bruce posted something nice in one of the other threads that I wanted to check out later.  More on that stuff in the appropriate threads.  lol

35 minutes ago, Stillhart said:

Just pulled the trigger on a Troy Lee Designs Stage helmet.  Got it on sale for $190.  I'll post pics when it gets here.

I nearly bought one because I was able to get 50% off through my company at the end of last year (I'm not sure if that arrangement is still in place). Let us know what you think of it, once you get it.

On 4/13/2020 at 12:21 AM, Jon Stern said:

I nearly bought one because I was able to get 50% off through my company at the end of last year (I'm not sure if that arrangement is still in place). Let us know what you think of it, once you get it.

Mine came in today.  So far I'm pleased with it.  The construction is good, it looks good, it's SUPER light and very airy.  I did a quick ride with it (like 3 mi) and had no issues really.  The magnetic latch mechanism is awesome!

My only complaint with it is that the cheek pads aren't as squishy as I'd expect from using motorcycle helmets for 20+ years.  Getting the helmet on and off can be painful if you don't do it just right.  I put in the slightly thinner pads, which go on and off much smoother but the fit isn't as tight as it should be once it's on.  I'm going to try experimenting with some other pad swaps (it comes with a lot of pads) to see if I can find a good balance.

Either way though, I am going to keep the helmet.  I like it overall and cheek pads generally loosen up over time so I'm sure it'll be fine eventually.

Edited by Stillhart
  • Like 1

Got my new helmet today. Not too bad. They are really making these thing light weight nowadays! I may find myself using it from time to time. Bell DH, got it for just at $200. Its not going to add much warmth, so thats a good thing.  https://youtu.be/IstQ5sPVDjs

"Superman syndrome" already. Just like on the dirtbike, the moment I put on a helmet, I go faster.  Tiltback comes REALLY fast now.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Got my new helmet today. Not too bad. They are really making these thing light weight nowadays! I may find myself using it from time to time. Bell DH, got it for just at $200. Its not going to add much warmth, so thats a good thing.

Good to hear that the Bell Super DH works OK for you.  I'm also very happy with mine and was able to successfully fit a Sena 3S-W Bluetooth Headset into it, with No Issues for use with EUC World voice announcements! (I also did the same with my TSG Pass)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I've had this Bell Super Air R for a few weeks now. I love everything about.

Just added some wheel branding to give it a little EUC character 

I really like the style and lines of that helmet Marty.:thumbup:

• Like 1

An even more open concept on the bell helmet huh? Nice. Is it lighter than the older version?

• Like 1

I'm getting quite tempted by the IXS Trigger Full Face (600g S/M, 660g M/L) so lighter than any Bell or Fox, looks nice, very airy and reviews say it has an even stronger chin bar than the ProFrame.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I've had this Bell Super Air R for a few weeks now. I love everything about.

Just added some wheel branding to give it a little EUC character B)

IMG_1461

IMG_1469

So now you need to make room for Eyeride HUD. See announcement by @Seba today.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Planemo said:

I'm getting quite tempted by the IXS Trigger Full Face (600g S/M, 660g M/L) so lighter than any Bell or Fox, looks nice, very airy and reviews say it has an even stronger chin bar than the ProFrame.

I just received my new white color IXS Trigger FF helmet, it weight 650g and it is DH certified. Super light weight, much more air flow and safer than my crashed Bell Super 3R.

Ready for Summer.DSC_0002.thumb.JPG.9357bf164a2113c5e49b6ee8125eb728.JPG

DSC_0004.resize.JPG

Edited by Peter Q
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Planemo said:

3 hours ago, Peter Q said:

I just received my new white color IXS Trigger FF helmet, it weight 650g and it is DH certified. Super light weight, much more air flow and safer than my crashed Bell Super 3R.

Ready for Summer.DSC_0002.thumb.JPG.9357bf164a2113c5e49b6ee8125eb728.JPG

Certainly, if you don't need a removable chin guard, buy a different helmet :thumbup:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Peter Q said:

Very nice!!! It really is a close call between the IXS and ProFrame. Can I ask why you went for the IXS? Can you give any comment on whether the outer shell size of the IXS is any smaller than the ProFrame?

DO all of these helmets with the similar mips design, have adjustments on the top of it, as well as the back? I have a serious egg head and mine was VERY loose, until I pulled the pads at the very top and noticed holes to adjust. I had to shorten my chin straps a little as well.  A smaller shell would have probably fit better, but always leaves my chin exposed (tall egg head) .It now sits low on my head but leaves room for a smoke and less wobble. Just wondering, as this detail is very nifty.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

7 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

DO all of these helmets with the similar mips design, have adjustments on the top of it, as well as the back? I have a serious egg head and mine was VERY loose, until I pulled the pads at the very top and noticed holes to adjust. I had to shorten my chin straps a little as well.  A smaller shell would have probably fit better, but always leaves my chin exposed (tall egg head) .It now sits low on my head but leaves room for a smoke and less wobble. Just wondering, as this detail is very nifty.

The IXS Trigger FF doesn't have MIPS fyi, but it is reported to have a stronger chin section as it uses an internal X-brace. The jury does still seem out re the benefit of MIPS tbh, and for me personally. Not having it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

The IXS has a rotating dial on the back (like many half face cycle lids) to get a nice fit. I think this is an excellent idea. The Proframe doesn't, but they do both come with different sized pads to get a better fit. the ProFrame comes with 3 sets, the IXS 2.

Re being too high for your chin, it is my belief that neither would give you issues. Both the above have very long and deep chin sections, and actually too deep on some people IMO. If you look at Kuji wearing his ProFrame, you will see that face on you can see his entire mouth and in some cases, part of his chin. I do wonder, in the event of a faceplant, whether the lid would tip down a little (as you would expect) and actually expose his chin. That said, I don't know whether he has crashed in it (he may have done) and he clearly likes it so...

I have a feeling that both may give you issues with a smoke though. Theres a lot of space around the mouth/chin on both, but the length of a ciggie might be a problem, even for your shorter, home made Moroccan Specials :)

• Like 1

I look at the Bell Super Air R. It's gorgeous. I don't need another helmet. I look at the IXS Trigger FF. It's gorgeous. I don't need another helmet. I need to keep repeating this. I don't need another helmet. I don't. Really. Nope.

• Like 2

@Planemo    Ive had so many motorcross helmets in the past, my egg head is just too damn thin and tall, so having a helmet fit properly for me, means they wouldnt sell any to a normal sized human...bad marketing idea.  I've figured out that by covering the opening on my chinbar, with metal tape, I can smoke long cigarettes and not fear the taste of burning rubber.  The adjustable mips design (at the top) was a great find. My helmet is low enough on my head now, and the dial in back makes it tighter around the base of my skull in back, not at the mid point. My straps are 'custom' sewn to allow being shorter too. The chin bar is strong enough to deflect, its not like Im going to land with ALL my weight on it in a direct hit. It's more likely to take a glancing blow as my body carries forwards. If not, my neck is probably more at risk than my chin.  Just dont run into a brick wall chin first. Typically its the ground that gets me, not a wall.  All in all, I dont give much thought to how protective it may be. It does hold my camera pretty well tho! It also gives me a pretty cool hairdo when i remove it. People seem to think Im REALLY pro when Im geared up. Haha such irony.

DSCN7887.thumb.JPG.e8ca9c6ebdd22f31085b8c2153fbb08a.JPGDSCN7888.thumb.JPG.92f28e9129afcf0e4732a3d72d129812.JPG

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

@Planemo    Ive had so many motorcross helmets in the past, my egg head is just too damn thin and tall, so having a helmet fit properly for me, means they wouldnt sell any to a normal sized human...bad marketing idea.  I've figured out that by covering the opening on my chinbar, with metal tape, I can smoke long cigarettes and not fear the taste of burning rubber.  The adjustable mips design (at the top) was a great find. My helmet is low enough on my head now, and the dial in back makes it tighter around the base of my skull in back, not at the mid point. My straps are 'custom' sewn to allow being shorter too. The chin bar is strong enough to deflect, its not like Im going to land with ALL my weight on it in a direct hit. It's more likely to take a glancing blow as my body carries forwards. If not, my neck is probably more at risk than my chin.  Just dont run into a brick wall chin first. Typically its the ground that gets me, not a wall.  All in all, I dont give much thought to how protective it may be. It does hold my camera pretty well tho! It also gives me a pretty cool hairdo when i remove it. People seem to think Im REALLY pro when Im geared up. Haha such irony.

DSCN7887.thumb.JPG.e8ca9c6ebdd22f31085b8c2153fbb08a.JPGDSCN7888.thumb.JPG.92f28e9129afcf0e4732a3d72d129812.JPG

Why are you in this helmet thread when all your videos have you riding sans helmet :roflmao:

You don't have to answer. My post is strictly for comic relief :)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Why are you in this helmet thread when all your videos have you riding sans helmet :roflmao:

You don't have to answer. My post is strictly for comic relief :)

My life neither consists of all or nothing. Sometimes I choose to and sometimes I don't. Same with motorcycles and skateboards. Variety my friend, variety.... I have NO bias on the issue when it concerns others, i dont care what you wear, ride naked... just dont swing that thing at me...

Ive worn helmets since I was 12...sometimes..nothing has changed. Your bias is blatantly clouding your words. Ive many more pics of helmets Ive used, mostly by choice.

DSCN3716.JPG

AzXXpurchaseRide.jpg

myHelmet.thumb.jpg.e24de29b6f98b87f7eceb0234d3c629a.jpg

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2