THE HELMET THREAD

20 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

Helmet with rear LED, flip up helmet. 

$79.99, incredible value.

Bruce

37 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

These kind of helmets certainly work, but from my experience the visibility is much poorer than something like the Scorpion 950. It has amazing peripheral vision and great downward vision. 

• Like 2

I'd rather hit my head with a hammer than have to research helmets again. Too bad, hitting my head still doesnt get me closer to a helmet.  Looking these over and wondering.. how can any of these cheaper helmets compare to the quality and comfort of my shoei rf1200? Then I contemplate using my beloved rf1200 and quickly shoot down the idea of wearing $600 on my head that is supposed to be thrown away after it hits the ground. Such a dilemma! Is the TSG pass still one of the lighter full face of any quality, out there(looks hot/no flow to me)? I have dirtbike helmets, but i think I may need to invest in a full faced street. Weight is a primary concern, as ive had flip ups and tho I can smoke with them on, they weigh too damn much. Im also wondering if i should just stick to bicycle helmets and the like, as again...weight is more a concern that hi-speed protection.  I have an egg head, doesnt help any.  I also was tempted to just go the open faced skateboard helmets, but then I wondered how fast I can turn my chin away in a 30mph fall. Any suggestions I'll entertain. Im not trying to spend a fortune on something that will get mistreated, and Im not looking for the utmost in safety.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

14 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I also was tempted to just go the open faced skateboard helmets, but then I wondered how fast I can turn my chin away in a 30mph fall.

@ShanesPlanet please do not settle for a skateboard/open faced helmet in the hopes that you can turn your head away quickly enough at 30mph!!!

I'm sure you have seen this video recently on FaceBook from Anthony Edwards.  He is quite an accomplished rider, uploading many videos, but got distracted and fell at 25mph (granted not wearing a helmet at all) but did not have chance to turn his head and avoid the shocking injuries he sustained.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

no way Im watching a vid that  illustrates your point, I believe you! I may try to find a tsg from a reputable source and give a go. Ordering helmets is worse than shoes. Im a little bitch when it comes to comfort, even if consequences are high. Having owned the most comfy helmet in the world for hi-speeds (120mph+), i fear my expectations are once again going to be somewhat hard to meet. I see your tsg on the avatar. How is it in humid 95degree weather? Im betting you ride visor up a lot. Does the visor make noise or drag at our pathetic speeds of 30mph? Can you turn your head and see directly behind you (most helmets ive ever had, were shit for view, regardless their claims.)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Are mountain bike helmets adequate for the speeds we travel.  Here's a Demon Podium, full face, light weight and relatively inexpensive.

Bruce

Demon Helmet.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I see your tsg on the avatar. How is it in humid 95degree weather? Im betting you ride visor up a lot. Does the visor make noise or drag at our pathetic speeds of 30mph? Can you turn your head and see directly behind you (most helmets ive ever had, were shit for view, regardless their claims.)

As with any helmet (and to be honest even without a helmet) some wind noise is unavoidable, but I do think the visor does not add too much extra wind noise in the case of the TSG Pass.  I can definitely vouch for the peripheral vision, which I would rate as excellent. 

On very cold days the visor can fog up, but leaving a very small gap open soon sorts that issue!

New Zealand summer's and in particularly on the East Coast where I live, gets up to mid-high 30 degrees C in the summer and the TSG can get warm at those temps.  Bear in mind though that mine is Black and does attract more heat naturally than a lighter coloured one would on a hot summer's day. 

To offset that scenario, for summer use I have been using my recently acquired Bell Super DH which I can also recommend if you need maximum airflow.  If on the other hand, you do go ahead with the TSG then you may end up having to get one from overseas, as they are getting more and more scarce. 

With that in mind and not knowing whether they will become available again (even TSG themselves in Switzerland are running low on stocks/sizes) I recently decided to get another TSG Pass, but this time I went for the Pro Carbon Trace Edition (even more difficult/impossible to source) 

I had to order the Pro Carbon from France, as they were the only option worldwide.  Let me know if you need a link to the online store in France?

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

That super 3 has my attention(cheaper and lighter than the DH, maybe total shit? 780gr vs 930gr tsg carbon). So does that carbon TSG. Im a little leery of ordering uber expensive overseas(returns are likely, ima pr*k and egg headed). Im kind of looking for minimal in all areas, but not so little its pointless. Does the bell feel like you've less on your head (with chin bar of course)? I see the super 3r is fairly affordable. Which has better field of view, tsg or bell? Im thinking primarily street and for some reason the bell type makes me think of dirt. Im not worried about fog, we get it here, but its nothing a lift of visor cant fix. My uber pricey Shoei doesnt fog somehow. You already know your size in tsg, no brainer for you to order from france, i envy you that! Im not gung ho on having a visor, my dirt days are filled with sunglasses in the goggles spot.

Thanks for the suggestions, the bell didnt 'look' like something i was after, but again, its only my ignorant bias about it seeming dirt oriented. At a mere 30mph, i bet wind dynamics are not as big a deal. One thing for sure, if its heavy on my head, I wont wear it. My street helmet is heavy(well, not compared to other street helmets, but you know..), but at 65+mph, the wind supports it to be nothing at all. Unfortunately, we wont have this blessing at slow euc speeds. fwiw, 35C and 80%RH is common around my hood during summer.

Still tempted to wear this bad sumbitch and just act like a rich fu** who don't give a sh*t..  Ima break out the scales, weigh my collection. SO wierd having to shop for helmets AGAIN.. its like having a bolt bin and never having the right damn bolt..

DSCN7841.thumb.JPG.3e930fac882c245b1e30491c012d9527.JPG

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, fbhb said:

As with any helmet (and to be honest even without a helmet) some wind noise is unavoidable, but I do think the visor does not add too much extra wind noise in the case of the TSG Pass.  I can definitely vouch for the peripheral vision, which I would rate as excellent. 

On very cold days the visor can fog up, but leaving a very small gap open soon sorts that issue!

New Zealand summer's and in particularly on the East Coast where I live, gets up to mid-high 30 degrees C in the summer and the TSG can get warm at those temps.  Bear in mind though that mine is Black and does attract more heat naturally than a lighter coloured one would on a hot summer's day. 

To offset that scenario, for summer use I have been using my recently acquired Bell Super DH which I can also recommend if you need maximum airflow.  If on the other hand, you do go ahead with the TSG then you may end up having to get one from overseas, as they are getting more and more scarce. 

With that in mind and not knowing whether they will become available again (even TSG themselves in Switzerland are running low on stocks/sizes) I recently decided to get another TSG Pass, but this time I went for the Pro Carbon Trace Edition (even more difficult/impossible to source) 

I had to order the Pro Carbon from France, as they were the only option worldwide.  Let me know if you need a link to the online store in France?

I too did the same thing now so long ago. The company I bought from was www.blackkross.com (TSG Pass search) They had different sizes and colours at the time. 

20200401_130817_compress97.thumb.jpg.87e31a0c8d584dac7afab3e69770c44b.jpg20200402_130242_compress1.thumb.jpg.e8fa82e6f2a2b69422fd8460812bc554.jpg

But I still like that old one I have, sadly they discontinued the colour. In 2020 they will only make black and ox red. 

20180927_001407.thumb.jpg.05f9a995430fee82594819145da5cb7f.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

One thing for sure, if its heavy on my head, I wont wear it.

TSG Pass a mere 950g.  Bell Super DH even lighter at 850g.  Both have great field of view, but I have only worn the Bell with Ruroc goggles, which chops the extreme side view down a little!

12 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I too did the same thing now so long ago. The company I bought from was www.blackkross.com (TSG Pass search) They had different sizes and colours at the time. 

Yes, that's exactly where I got my Pro Carbon Trace from, just a month or so ago. It looks like they still have stock of various colours/sizes too!  Glad to get a hold of another TSG just in case they All become discontinued!  I have not even worn mine as yet, but at least I have it now because I do really love the TSG Pass for comfort and of course it looks awesome!

Edited by fbhb

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

ShanesPlanet please do not settle for a skateboard/open faced helmet in the hopes that you can turn your head away quickly enough at 30mph!!!

I'm sure you have seen this video recently on FaceBook from Anthony Edwards.  He is quite an accomplished rider, uploading many videos, but got distracted and fell at 25mph (granted not wearing a helmet at all) but did not have chance to turn his head and avoid the shocking injuries he sustained.

Please note the like I posted above on this, is nothing to do with the nature of the picture. But sometimes just such picture is needed for people to understand that wearing a helmet is a good idea and imho should not be the place to save a few $ as we still don't have head replacement. If you bust a knee or a finger, It can be fixed or at lease live relative normally. A major head injury, well not so easy.

• Like 1

Are those in the link ALL carbon fiber tsg? So the 950gr is carbon in medium? SO tempted to pull the trigger on one, i could probably sell it around here if didnt fit. Is your head the typical round or is it more like an egg? Seems a lot of helmets cut me short at the chin or they are so big my nug swims in them. No worries here Unventor. I have been around motorsports and before that skateboards, for over 3 decades. I have been around and seen/felt the consequences. Knowing this only makes me an IDIOT when i chose to not gear up. I often wonder whats worse, an idiot, or ignorant?

Edited by ShanesPlanet

3 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Please note the like I posted above on this, is nothing to do with the nature of the picture. But sometimes just such picture is needed for people to understand that wearing a helmet is a good idea and imho should not be the place to save a few $ as we still don't have head replacement. If you bust a knee or a finger, It can be fixed or at lease live relative normally. A major head injury, well not so easy.

I fully understand and agree completely with your helmet stance.  I am of the same opinion regarding always wearing a helmet when I get on the EUC for what will always be at least a minimum of a 30km long ride.  In my case, I have never ridden any of my 2 wheels without donning either one of my Ruroc RG1-DX's, the TSG Pass or my Bell Super DH. 

The main point me of re-posting that gruesome content was to, as you also stated, hopefully shock some people (so not specifically aimed at you @ShanesPlanet) into what can so easily happen without good protection.  I also agree with your point about cost cutting to save a few $'s, definitely not worth cheaping out in this area IMHO!

18 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Are those in the link ALL carbon fiber tsg? So the 950gr is carbon in medium? SO tempted to pull the trigger on one, i could probably sell it around here if didnt fit. Is your head the typical round or is it more like an egg? Seems a lot of helmets cut me short at the chin or they are so big my nug swims in them.

Only the Pro Carbon is a Carbon Fiber construction.  All the other helmets with colour options are a fiber glass and composite construction IIRC.

I think I just have a normal shaped head, so went for a large as I was right on the upper size limit of the medium size range.  I do think that the TSG size chart is pretty close to correct measurement wise, plus they come with extra pads to alter the fit if needed.  If anything, the sizes may be a little on the tighter side (which is not a bad thing), but the smaller pads supplied can sort that out if needed. 

In my case the large was a perfect fit straight out of the box, but I was in the same boat as you as both of mine had to be ordered from overseas, based on the sizing chart!

17 minutes ago, fbhb said:

Only the Pro Carbon is a Carbon Fiber construction.  All the other helmets with colour options are a fiber glass and composite construction IIRC.

I think I just have a normal shaped head, so went for a large as I was right on the upper size limit of the medium size range.  I do think that the TSG size chart is pretty close to correct measurement wise, plus they come with extra pads to alter the fit if needed.  If anything, the sizes may be a little on the tighter side (which is not a bad thing), but the smaller pads supplied can sort that out if needed. 

In my case the large was a perfect fit straight out of the box, but I was in the same boat as you as both of mine had to be ordered from overseas, based on the sizing chart!

hmm, how odd they show it to weigh the same as the standard shells. Im not a fan of the yellow stripes, but i am a total fan of weight savings. My rf1200 medium street weighs 1340gr = 0gr at 60mph :). Im So on the fence about the tsg, as an egg head isnt a common shape most manufacturers go for. They only have Med left in carbon, I happen to probably fit a medium if anything. Your head is probably less odd than mine. Me and adam sandler shop the same hat stores.  It looks like the bell and tsg are near same price, tho the bell 3r is cheaper and lighter than both.  Is the liner removable in your tsg, so you can properly wash it after sweating it out? Why you buying so many, if the quality is good enough to last?

Are you freaking kidding me? I found this link from google. EUC forum is everywhere!!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I pulled the trigger on the Bell DH. Found a decent deal on black. Not a fan of the yellow addons or that black can be hot, but at 35% cheaper... I'll get over it or paint that yellow shit. Being isolated from my head, black shouldnt matter too much. Once rolling, it matters nill.  I think it being more open may make it cooler for me. Sometimes being behind a face shield seems a little overkill  and I always wear cheap sunglasses anyhow. I bet you I can figure out how to smoke with it on! I'm assuming it rides fine w/o the visor as well. Hopefully the bell will do me fine on the street out here in the summer with my mesh jacket. I'd imagine it wont be too shabby for sweaty off road adventures. I guess if im facing rain or wanting to race, I'll just don the rf1200. What REALLY scares me, as we have awaken the helmet virus again. Helmets, jackets, euc's...  getting closer to my goal of ensuring i die in debt..:D

I weighed my cheap moto helmet. To my surprise, its HEAVIER than my full face Rf1200.

Bell Super DH MIPS Helmet

Edited by ShanesPlanet

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I pulled the trigger on the Bell DH. Found a decent deal on black. Not a fan of the yellow addons or that black can be hot, but at 35% cheaper... I'll get over it or paint that yellow shit.

Great choice on the Bell DH, especially with 35% off I think you will be happy with it.  I got a good deal on mine too when I bought it and it's Black too!  The same will apply with getting extra cheek pads, as they are also supplied with the Bell to tailor the fit. 

To answer your questions on the TSG, yes the liner is removable for cleaning.  The quality is top notch on the TSG, especially with the more expensive Carbon.  The reason I bought another one is because I love the fit, comfort, wide vision & the style of the TSG + as mentioned in previous posts, it looks like once the last of the existing stock of Carbon's get sold that's it - No more to be had/made!!! 

The other reason I buy so many helmets is because I have to admit to having a helmet addiction, as can be seen in this photo I posted previously in this thread of my helmet collection.  This was taken before acquiring both the Bell & the Pro Carbon TSG Pass, so I will have to do another photo at some point to include them all!

Helmet Collection.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I pulled the trigger on the Bell DH. Found a decent deal on black. Not a fan of the yellow addons or that black can be hot, but at 35% cheaper... I'll get over it or paint that yellow shit. Being isolated from my head, black shouldnt matter too much. Once rolling, it matters nill.  I think it being more open may make it cooler for me. Sometimes being behind a face shield seems a little overkill  and I always wear cheap sunglasses anyhow. I bet you I can figure out how to smoke with it on! I'm assuming it rides fine w/o the visor as well. Hopefully the bell will do me fine on the street out here in the summer with my mesh jacket. I'd imagine it wont be too shabby for sweaty off road adventures. I guess if im facing rain or wanting to race, I'll just don the rf1200. What REALLY scares me, as we have awaken the helmet virus again. Helmets, jackets, euc's...  getting closer to my goal of ensuring i die in debt..:D

I weighed my cheap moto helmet. To my surprise, its HEAVIER than my full face Rf1200.

Bell Super DH MIPS Helmet

No we are twins, I have the same helmet in the same color :cheers:

It's absolutely not hot inside, it's hotter without a helmet. I was also worried about the heat, but the thing is super ventilated as soon as you move reasonably fast. 

Edited by buell47
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, fbhb said:

Great choice on the Bell DH, especially with 35% off I think you will be happy with it.  I got a good deal on mine too when I bought it and it's Black too!  The same will apply with getting extra cheek pads, as they are also supplied with the Bell to tailor the fit. 

To answer your questions on the TSG, yes the liner is removable for cleaning.  The quality is top notch on the TSG, especially with the more expensive Carbon.  The reason I bought another one is because I love the fit, comfort, wide vision & the style of the TSG + as mentioned in previous posts, it looks like once the last of the existing stock of Carbon's get sold that's it - No more to be had/made!!! 

The other reason I buy so many helmets is because I have to admit to having a helmet addiction, as can be seen in this photo I posted previously in this thread of my helmet collection.  This was taken before acquiring both the Bell & the Pro Carbon TSG Pass, so I will have to do another photo at some point to include them all!

Helmet Collection.jpg

How would you compare sizing and fit of the TSG Pass and the Ruroc? I am a XL/XXXL (the largest size in the Ruroc, and love it but that is mostly because I love the looks. I wanted more protection( without going Moto) but the rumor is the sk8 full face helmets run a bit small.

I really want a Pass!

12 hours ago, Blicky Te️la said:

How would you compare sizing and fit of the TSG Pass and the Ruroc? I am a XL/XXXL (the largest size in the Ruroc, and love it but that is mostly because I love the looks. I wanted more protection( without going Moto) but the rumor is the sk8 full face helmets run a bit small.

I really want a Pass!

Unfortunately I don't think that the sizing of the TSG helmets go up as high as the Ruroc's do. 

TSG only go up to XL and a measurement of 60-61 cm for the Pass on their website: https://www.ridetsg.com/tsg-helmet-size-chart/

Ruroc's sizing does go up higher with your stated XL/XXXL being 60-64 cm on their website: https://www.ruroc.com/en_nz/sizing/

So I would say if the Ruroc you have is good snug fit in an XL/XXXL, then you may well find the TSG Pass XL a bit too tight, even with the smaller cheek pads fitted.  As previously mentioned, the TSG Pass is becoming more and more difficult to source, so if you are able to find one locally to try in XL first that would be my best advice. 

If, as I suspect, your only option is to take a gamble and order online then do so quickly (whilst stocks last) as at least if you needed to you can always on-sell it no issues!

Edited by fbhb

I'm looking into helmets now too.  My main concern is heat/ventilation because it gets HOT out here during the summer.  The Bell Super 3R MIPS is one that's recommended a lot and I'm looking at that one since it seems very well ventilated.  When looking into other (read: cheaper) options, I came across the Troy Lee Designs Stage helmet, which is very well reviewed.  They're normally in the $300 range but it looks like a few colors are on sale for under $200.  Anyone know anything about that helmet?