THE HELMET THREAD

7 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm a bit of a cheapskate in regard to personal safety. I was sort of hoping "budget" might imply something around £30 - £60.

Lazer Phoenix+ is probably the cheapest full face helmet you will find, but I wouldn't skimp out on the helmet, comfort is important and very noticeable when it comes to your head.

Personally I have an IXS Trigger for summer/spring and a warmer closed motorcycle helmet for winter.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mauricio said:

and an Aftershocks bone conduction headset, with fixed straps... Works very well

Ahhh I was researching helmet audio solutions and thought about that, but could not come up with a way to get them mounted.  Very nice!  Could give a few more mics of inside helmet for the Aftershocks?

I went with a bluetooth helmet audio system for motorcyclists.

11 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

Ahhh I was researching helmet audio solutions and thought about that, but could not come up with a way to get them mounted.  Very nice!  Could give a few more mics of inside helmet for the Aftershocks?

I went with a bluetooth helmet audio system for motorcyclists.

AfterShocks includes mic, but I hasn't had the chance to test its capabilities yet. I dont beleive you could pair another bluetooth mic at the same time

7 hours ago, Mauricio said:

AfterShocks includes mic, but I hasn't had the chance to test its capabilities yet. I dont beleive you could pair another bluetooth mic at the same time

Ha I should have read my reply more carefully I meant to say Pics of the inside not Mics hehe.  Clever to use aftershocks!

Great idea to install Aftershocks instead of the typical BT mc helmet audio, I tried several of those and audio for music was mediocre at best...

But on the pic the Aftershocks look like they are not over the ear as worn usually? That still works through the padding? Also you seem to have them connected to a battery, which I understand because the Aftershocks are quite voracious energy wise...but that's one more cable to manage.

14 hours ago, Fntmsgotwaymten3 said:

Great idea to install Aftershocks instead of the typical BT mc helmet audio, I tried several of those and audio for music was mediocre at best...

But on the pic the Aftershocks look like they are not over the ear as worn usually? That still works through the padding? Also you seem to have them connected to a battery, which I understand because the Aftershocks are quite voracious energy wise...but that's one more cable to manage.

My 1Storm flip up helmet came with a a BT speaker and mike set. Easy to make a phone call, you cannot use SIRI easily. 

• Like 1

I can vouch that the LEXIN ET-COM BT com device sounds pretty darn good in my helmet.  Music sounds pretty decent, not as good as can headphones obviously but not bad with decent volume.  Alexa or Google assistant works well, I just have to reach into my pocket and unlock my phone.  "Hey google call blah blah blah"

Lessons learned with the pad style earphones, placement is everything.  Originally they were not directly over my ear and the sound volume was low and tinny.  messed with the placement until dialed in.  Impressed for the price.

Added bonus is if I ride with another rider who has helmet comms I may be able to hook up.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an older rookie with a big head! Literally! 63cm in diameter! And I was really worried about the helmet since I'd never wore a helmet until now at 61.  I didn't want something heavy because I didn't know if I'd adapt...and I definitely didn't want something expensive too. 

After an intensive search all over the web I noticed that for my big head I could only find helmets weighing from 1.3kg on. And most brands didn't even have my head size!!!

All of a sudden I tripped on the new and very lightweight Leatt || Helmet MTB 1.0 DH Jr V21 and when I saw it started at 850gr from the smaller size...and and that it was under 100€...I bought it and am now quite happy with it. 

It now has two bases for my Insta360 R camera and I even spoiled myself with some stickers... @ShanesPlanet you can joke about all you want....:D

leatt helmet.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey fellas! Just got myself a TSG Pass for the colder months... I’ve noticed that there a bit of a gap between the visor and the chin guard. Not sure if this is normal so I’m wondering if anyone who owns one can tell me... Looks like it’ll let me a lot of air and defeat the whole purpose of the visor. 

Thoughts? The gap seems to be smaller if I don’t tighten the hinge all the way but then I fear hinge screws will get loose and fall out. 

711E4503-9C31-4596-AAD2-823BEEA3881A.jpeg

The TSG pass isn’t very well finished from what I’ve seen on mine and read elsewhere too.. Probably partly due to the fiber glass moulding that warps a bit.

You’ll probably have to learn to live with it, past the initial frustration (new product, high expectations) it’s not a big deal. It’s a strong and comfortable helmet, which is the most important.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, null said:

The TSG pass isn’t very well finished from what I’ve seen on mine and read elsewhere too.. Probably partly due to the fiber glass moulding that warps a bit.

You’ll probably have to learn to live with it, past the initial frustration (new product, high expectations) it’s not a big deal. It’s a strong and comfortable helmet, which is the most important.

According to the US distributor, the TSG Pass Pro is supposed to have better fit/finish and quality control, but only comes in one style/colour. I have an older carbon fiber version of the Pro that was well-made. After two faceplants, the helmet has no warpage and no gaps between the faceshield and gasket.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My first message in this forum, waiting for a V11 to arrive. Thought I'd share some comments regarding the Leatt V21.1 full face. Helmets are a personal thing but I feel information like this helps especially those forced to purchase online. 

My head is a whopping 62 cm when measured and the shape is slightly long oval that is more narrow on the front. The forehead is also not particularly high. The best fit for me was a Leatt MTB 4.0 in size L even though they state it's for 59 - 60 cm and the XL is 61 - 62 cm. The XL was too big for me in all aspects and was moving sideways as well as up and down way too much. 

TLD D3 Fiberlite helmet in XL (60 - 62 cm) seemed to provide a very similar or slightly more narrow fit compared to the Leatt although being considerably heavier. However the thicker padding of the TLD is probably more forgiving to various head shapes.

I tried also the cheaper Leatt 1.0 DH V21.1 but even the XL created hot spots here and there as padding did not feel as comfortable. Top of the line Leatt 8.0 V21.1 is a solid helmet, but being also motorcycle ECE 22.05 certified it felt heavier and slightly claustrophobic compared to the bike only versions.

I needed a helmet that can easily be used with glasses and the Leatt shines here. They have intentionally left padding out from the area in front of ears and even flimsy hooked frames can easily be put on while wearing the helmet. TLD D3 cheek pads extend up all the way and it was impossible to put glasses on with it. Also the magnetic latch on the Leatt felt good.

Weights of the helmets mentioned as stated by the manufacturer, so probably for size S:

• Leatt MTB 4.0 V21.1 850g (1.87 lbs)
  • Leatt DH 1.0 V21.1 850g (1.8 lbs)
  • Leatt 8.0 V21.1 1250g ± 50 (2.75 lbs)
  • TLD D3 Fiberlite 1225g (2.7 lbs)
  • Like 2

Hi everyone, looking for a recommendation - I ordered online and had to send back a Leatt DH 1.0 helmet because the chin pads were way too tight for me, it felt like I was going through a birth canal (otherwise the helmet was quite OK in size around the head, so it was just the chin pads). So just wanted to ask if anyone else had similar issues with chin pads and found a good comfy helmet. I'm looking for a full face bicycle helmet (I think a motorcycle helmet is a bit of an overkill for a beginner like me). Unfortunately in my area almost no one sells full face bicycle helmets so I'm kinda trying to pick one in the dark. I'm starting to realise DH style helmets are made for short runs therefore comfort is probably not that important in that segment, whereas on a euc you want something that wouldn't start causing discomfort after 30 minutes.

Since your cheek pads were too tight you might take a look at the Bell Super DH. On mine, the thickest cheek pads are just barely thick enough, and it comes with a thinner pair. It’s super spendy though.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

I'm really starting to like wearing my recycled (from motorcycling days) Schuberth C3pro modular helmet. Maybe not so much for full on summer heat but its warm in the cooler days & I love riding with the chin bar flipped up. Makes drinking & chatting with ppl so much better. The flip sunvisor is great as well plus the pinlock helps with defogging on the really cold days.

No need to discuss the safety aspects ofcos. I'm thinking of installing a set of BT speakers in it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MKO said:

Hi everyone, looking for a recommendation - I ordered online and had to send back a Leatt DH 1.0 helmet because the chin pads were way too tight for me, it felt like I was going through a birth canal (otherwise the helmet was quite OK in size around the head, so it was just the chin pads). So just wanted to ask if anyone else had similar issues with chin pads and found a good comfy helmet. I'm looking for a full face bicycle helmet (I think a motorcycle helmet is a bit of an overkill for a beginner like me). Unfortunately in my area almost no one sells full face bicycle helmets so I'm kinda trying to pick one in the dark. I'm starting to realise DH style helmets are made for short runs therefore comfort is probably not that important in that segment, whereas on a euc you want something that wouldn't start causing discomfort after 30 minutes.

I actually have that same helmet and on the 1st two days, I had that sensation too. I even took out the chin pads on my 1st ride because it felt a bit too tight. But since I had never used a full face helmet, I asked my upstairs neighbor about it since he has a motorcycle and his son actually races. He said it was normal and that pressure us what protects the facial bones. Without it, an impact may crack them. So I went on using it and now I don't even remember that it's a bit tight. Actually, I think the foam has also Adjusted more to my face now. 

It's a pity you didn't give that helmet a second chance, because, weight (very important), safety and price wise, it's one of the best buys for an EUC rider can make. 

I hope you find one that suits your needs. 

@Paulo Mesquita yeah that thought crossed my mind as well to be honest, but I used to ride dirt bikes and mopeds in my teens so I actually owned a few proper motorcycle helmets and although that was a while ago I don't remember having that much discomfort with them.

I'm now thinking to go with either an O'Neal Blade or the Belll Trasfer so if anyone has experience with those I'd love to hear your opinion.

• Like 1

I would recommend:
POC Artic SL spin

POC Artic SL 360 SPIN Helmet Unisex Black Skiing / Helmets

It protects chin, it is light and comfortable. Also I can use it summer and winter time.

It also combines well with glasses and goggles.

Hsiang has it and you can see it in his videos.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tasku said:

I would recommend:
POC Artic SL spin

POC Artic SL 360 SPIN Helmet Unisex Black Skiing / Helmets

It protects chin, it is light and comfortable. Also I can use it summer and winter time.

It also combines well with glasses and goggles.

Hsiang has it and you can see it in his videos.

It's not clear how well it protects the chin. Someone said it's designed to deflect branches and things when skiing. It's not clear how well it'll do in a faceplant.

• Like 1