THE HELMET THREAD

1 hour ago, Tasku said:

I would recommend:
POC Artic SL spin

POC Artic SL 360 SPIN Helmet Unisex Black Skiing / Helmets

It protects chin, it is light and comfortable. Also I can use it summer and winter time.

It also combines well with glasses and goggles.

Hsiang has it and you can see it in his videos.

Yeah I know this one, if it actually works it looks ideal for an euc, but I'm kinda figuring that because of the nature of the device the chin area is likely to take the brunt of a fall and I couldn't even find if this helmet is certified as a bicycle helmet not to mention what sort of impact that chin guard can take. Even in their website POC describes the chin guard as "break away" so that doesn't inspire too much confidence either

• Like 2

About the POC Arctic SL spin

There are 3 settings. The last setting does not let the chin guard break away.

And by that I mean you can change the parts that define the function.

Way better than any bicycle helmet, as this is multilayer, finishing with gel instead of mips. This is after all almost 200€ helmet.
A motorcycle helmet is something else, heavy and usually block your hearing.

POC makes quality helmet, keeps me safe. My 2 cents out.

Edited by Tasku

22 hours ago, MKO said:

Have you tried Bell Transfer?

haha, after dropping the required coin on the Super DH there's no budget left. I did get my helmet on ebay so it wasn't $325, it came from a bike shop and was probably either a display unit or a return but it was in great shape. I do want a modular moto helmet though, one can't blow one's nose with a FF and glasses make the on off process annoying.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 9:36 PM, null said:

The TSG pass isn’t very well finished from what I’ve seen on mine and read elsewhere too.. Probably partly due to the fiber glass moulding that warps a bit.

You’ll probably have to learn to live with it, past the initial frustration (new product, high expectations) it’s not a big deal. It’s a strong and comfortable helmet, which is the most important.

Yeah I could but luckily my EUC guy (Steve @ E-Riderz if any of you guys are in Australia!  He's basically the equivalent of eWheels of Australia!) is top notch and he offered an exchange.  The replacement helmet is soooo much better in terms of fit and finish and the visor sits flush to the chin guard!  Just had it's first test ride tonight.  I like it.  The only downer is that it's got a lot of wind noise and if you turn your head at just the right angle, the air makes a freaky sound as it passes the ear holes.  Other than that, it kept the cold air from blasting my face, it's very comfortable and the visibility is great!  Keeping my face from being blasted by the cold winter air was the main goal so I gotta say it definitely does it's job and I'm happy with it! 

Edited by Kamikaze_K
  • Like 3

On 3/27/2021 at 6:50 PM, MKO said:

Hi everyone, looking for a recommendation - I ordered online and had to send back a Leatt DH 1.0 helmet because the chin pads were way too tight for me, it felt like I was going through a birth canal (otherwise the helmet was quite OK in size around the head, so it was just the chin pads). So just wanted to ask if anyone else had similar issues with chin pads and found a good comfy helmet. I'm looking for a full face bicycle helmet (I think a motorcycle helmet is a bit of an overkill for a beginner like me). Unfortunately in my area almost no one sells full face bicycle helmets so I'm kinda trying to pick one in the dark. I'm starting to realise DH style helmets are made for short runs therefore comfort is probably not that important in that segment, whereas on a euc you want something that wouldn't start causing discomfort after 30 minutes.

Is the 1.0 delivered with only one set of cheek pads? 4.0 came with two sets and the thinner option was too loose fitting for my liking. Thicker ones were tight but still comfortable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vesmur said:

Is the 1.0 delivered with only one set of cheek pads? 4.0 came with two sets and the thinner option was too loose fitting for my liking. Thicker ones were tight but still comfortable. 

Yes, only one set. It would have been nice to have received a second and thinner set. 

5 hours ago, vesmur said:

Yeah and the size is not adjustable. After yet more research I think I've settled on IXS Trigger FF because it seems to be one of the more comfortable ones, is very light and is quite low key looking (as compared to this Oneal I almost bought which I don't think I'm cool enough to pull off :D)

oneal-blade-polyacrylite-helm-rio-red-1.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MKO said:

Yeah and the size is not adjustable. After yet more research I think I've settled on IXS Trigger FF because it seems to be one of the more comfortable ones, is very light and is quite low key looking (as compared to this Oneal I almost bought which I don't think I'm cool enough to pull off :D)

Just make sure the IXS stands up to the abuse it receives in your intended use. As it's a very lightweight helmet it will probably get dinged up rather easily if used for daily commuting. In my experience the everyday stuff gets thrown around quite carelessly compared to equipment you only remove from their velvet display stands on sunny sundays...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MKO said:

IXS Trigger FF is a very nice helmet I can highly recommend it, it's my Summer/Spring/Autumn helmet.

1 hour ago, vesmur said:

Just make sure the IXS stands up to the abuse it receives in your intended use. As it's a very lightweight helmet it will probably get dinged up rather easily if used for daily commuting. In my experience the everyday stuff gets thrown around quite carelessly compared to equipment you only remove from their velvet display stands on sunny sundays...

Not sure what you mean by this, you fall and hit your head every day on your commute? I'm pretty sure the Trigger holds up as well as any helmet.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

IXS Trigger FF is a very nice helmet I can highly recommend it, it's my Summer/Spring/Autumn helmet.

Not sure what you mean by this, you fall and hit your head every day on your commute? I'm pretty sure the Trigger holds up as well as any helmet.

Yep another IXS Trigger FF owner here, definitely holds up, iv used mine for over a year now all year round as you can tell from the black tape over the vents to keep me warmer over this winter lol 

16171001195801558883299264501559.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

Based on my experience a helmet used to commute is kicked around office floor, banged against coffeeshop tables, stuffed in closets, dropped to the floor by colleagues etc. quite often while no one's head is inside it. I'm delighted to hear the IXS Trigger survives daily use. I've destroyed ultra light (and ultra expensive) cycling helmets but never due to crashing while wearing them. Could also be that others are more kind to their gear compared to me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vesmur said:

Based on my experience a helmet used to commute is kicked around office floor, banged against coffeeshop tables, stuffed in closets, dropped to the floor by colleagues etc. quite often while no one's head is inside it. I'm delighted to hear the IXS Trigger survives daily use. I've destroyed ultra light (and ultra expensive) cycling helmets but never due to crashing while wearing them. Could also be that others are more kind to their gear compared to me.

Yeah I don't mind a few scratches :). It has this matte finish which will probably scratch easily, but I don't care, I actually think a few scratches on a helmet look more cool than a shiny new one. As far as falls go - aren't all these helmets supposed to be single use anyway (meaning if you hit your head you're supposed to throw it out even if it visually doesn't look broken)? 

10 minutes ago, DragonFZ said:

Does anyone know what is the identifier or designation for the TSG Pass visor SCREW?  I would like to replace it with thumb screws. Thank you.

Yes I have just checked some loose ones I have here, the screws are M6 thread and the length is 13mm.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

The problem with using thumb screws is the extend and with be prone to take a hit like a hammer on anails head forcing the screw through the attachment. 

I understand the convenience of this but I seriously think to concider what the risk is. 

On 3/29/2021 at 9:44 PM, MKO said:

oneal-blade-polyacrylite-helm-rio-red-1.

I would rock that and if you'r riding Nikola you'r cool enough. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 7:19 PM, fbhb said:

Yes I have just checked some loose ones I have here, the screws are M6 thread and the length is 13mm.  Hope this helps.

Thank you very much... fbhb

I don't think I will be hitting my head at that angle. My shoulder would be in the way

The visor/peak is a sunshade, but on mountain bikes it helps keep tree and bush branches from hitting you in the face. The chin bar extends so far out so that your face won't hit it when your face hits the ground. Your head will move forward inside the helmet when you hit the ground and you want to have some room to allow for that. The chin bar may also bend inwards depending on the force of the impact.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

The visor/peak is a sunshade, but on mountain bikes it helps keep tree and bush branches from hitting you in the face. The chin bar extends so far out so that your face won't hit it when your face hits the ground. Your head will move forward inside the helmet when you hit the ground and you want to have some room to allow for that. The chin bar may also bend inwards depending on the force of the impact.

Is it preferable to keep the visor? Some are designed to detach in case of a fall, but not all (might be bad for neck as would increasing spinning). They do help with branches when riding forest trails, but goggles are usually enough.

Personally, I don't like the visor because it closes down my field of view—and as much as I advocate wearing helmets I do wish they weren't so restrictive. I took the visor off my Super DH.

• Like 1

Merci pour vos réponses. J'utilise un casque de moto pour la route, pas de branche et visage mieux fermé.

Open helmets do not stop impacts and insect bites.

Edited by varamontelo

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 7:19 PM, fbhb said:

May be a closeup

Wasn't able to find M6x13mm Thumb Screw on Amazon. I found and ordered M6x12mm from Ebay. I received M6x23mm instead. Had to Dremel to make it work.

Hope this helps anyone else looking for easy TSG face shield change.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DragonFZ said:

May be a closeup

Wasn't able to find M6x13mm Thumb Screw on Amazon. I found and ordered M6x12mm from Ebay. I received M6x23mm instead. Had to Dremel to make it work.

Hope this helps anyone else looking for easy TSG face shield change.

You're usually better off going to McMaster-Carr for this kind of hardware than Amazon. They only have 13mm length with a metal head, but they have this one in 12mm length: https://www.mcmaster.com/thumb-screws/system-of-measurement~metric/thread-size~m6/length~12-mm/

For me it's full face helmet or nothing. And I would never ride anything with nothing. And the best full face helmets are motorbike helmet. Some would say they are heavy, but I don't feel the weight of an helmet if under 1.8 kg, even on a motorbike at high speed. Also, I favorise high end helmets, because they are cooler with really good vents, lighter for much more protection than a cheap helmet and much more confortable. Summer is coming, so I took a motocross helmet because my budget was limited, and high quality motocross helmets are more affordable. Got a Fox V3 pilot model 2017.

Edited by bASKOU
  • Like 1