THE HELMET THREAD

Recently ordered a new helmet. Whilst there are various standards available it seemed that the 'SHARP' rating was a reliable one and so I wanted something with a 4-5 star SHARP rating (or from a company that pretty much only makes stuff that gets 4-5 stars).

Ended up going for the Caberg Horus.

- Large FOV visor horizontal and vertical
- Vents
- P/J chinbar latch system so I can drink etc without removing the whole helmet
- Looks good and doesn't cost an absurd amount
- pinlock visor
- Integrated dropdown sun visor

Caberg Horus Flip Front Motorcycle Helmet : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

Edited by GoldenOne
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

Argh, don't show me that! I had a chance to get one at 1/2-price a couple of years ago through a short-lived work discount. I wavered and now regret it.

• Like 2

I tried to find any experience with "Flip" type of motorcycle helmet (not sure its correct EN therm for this), failed.
Here is link to CZ eshop with example.
It looks interesting, certificate covered both front mouth shield position and also flipped back (more wind - cooler, free to speak/listen). So you can choose position depending on year season and/or conditions (rain/speed/terrain/traffic etc)
thanks for comments.

2 hours ago, bracky72 said:

I’ve always worn a modular on my motorcycle but they are the heaviest helmet style which isn’t ideal on a unicycle. I love them though. It’s nice to be able to flip it up and have a drink or speak with someone. 

I wanted modular for EUC riding but given the increased likelihood that we fall straight on our faces when we go down hard, I decided against it. I personally feel like if Im gearing up to the extent I do, having a weakness like a hinge on the most important piece of gear is a step backwards. Im sure its probably safe enough, but if it failed and I damaged my face or head, I would blame myself for choosing comfort over safety. I really like the scorpion modular (at950) helmet but went with the one I have pictured instead.

Because of that I bought an Ogio Mach backpack with the helmet leash so I could take it off and hang it when I go into the store or want to get something to drink. At least with those backpacks you dont have to take the backpack off or put it on the ground to attach the helmet. Its convenient and doesnt flop around too much since it rests against your side and under your arm.

On the YT channel "isthereanyfood" the girl petra puts her helmet on her EUC with the trolly handle going through the open visor area. Its a good idea if your trolly handle will work like that. I just went and tried it and it works on both my V12 and Nikola.. It looks cool too :lol:

4TXqgaH.jpg

Edited by JordanEUC
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, JordanEUC said:

On the YT channel "isthereanyfood" the girl petra puts her helmet on her EUC with the trolly handle going through the open visor area. Its a good idea if your trolly handle will work like that. I just went and tried it and it works on both my V12 and Nikola.. It looks cool too :lol:

Im currently using KS trolley handle as a holder of my simple bike helmet too (yes, i will buy better protection), its simple and effective (cos Im so brave, Im traveling by subway without it, people are less scared. Lets see what will happen in full body armor... Robocop incomming).
obrazek.png.8058df141bbe3057cc75a1ade5030c22.png

Anyway, thanks to all!

On 11/21/2021 at 3:51 AM, JordanEUC said:

I wanted modular for EUC riding but given the increased likelihood that we fall straight on our faces when we go down hard, I decided against it. I personally feel like if Im gearing up to the extent I do, having a weakness like a hinge on the most important piece of gear is a step backwards. Im sure its probably safe enough, but if it failed and I damaged my face or head, I would blame myself for choosing comfort over safety. I really like the scorpion modular (at950) helmet but went with the one I have pictured instead.

Because of that I bought an Ogio Mach backpack with the helmet leash so I could take it off and hang it when I go into the store or want to get something to drink. At least with those backpacks you dont have to take the backpack off or put it on the ground to attach the helmet. Its convenient and doesnt flop around too much since it rests against your side and under your arm.

4TXqgaH.jpg

Be VERY careful hanging the helmet off the handle like that. Your hand should not leave the handle - as in, don't do this and then leave it leaned it against a wall. Since the weight is concentrated at the front, the wheel will be unbalanced and might start running off even if initially it doesn't move. Having this spin out indoors is dangerous, not to mention goodbye handle and potentially helmet.

Got my caberg sintesi in today, very nice so far! 

Helmet choices are a bit of a pain for me as I'm an XXL helmet size and most helmets either aren't made in XXL, or if they are the shell itself is too small for it to be comfortable. 

Sintesi was made explicitly for big heads and comes in either XXL or XXXL

-super comfy

-pinlock visor

-drop down sun-visor

-Bluetooth option

-dual homologation / lift-up chin bar

20211122_201323.jpg

20211122_201304.jpg

20211122_201214.jpg

Edited by GoldenOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Circuitmage said:

@GoldenOne That looks very similar to my Scorpion. The drop down visor is a life saver, really.

Yeah it's very nice to have. I do wish there was a way to get a polarised visor though, the 'standard' sun-visor helps but is still not as effective as good sun glasses

On 11/23/2021 at 5:02 PM, Hellkitten said:

@Rich Sam I made almost the exact same thing out of L200 3mm closed cell foam. I formed it with heat and stuck it down with a bit of butyl tape and Velcro. https://www.amazon.com/l200-foam/s?k=l200+foam

https://www.butyl-tape.com/

very cool how did it work?

Not bad, it helps a lot. If it’s really cold I still use anti fogging wipes. If I’m riding very slow and exerting myself I get a bit of fogging, but otherwise it’s good. How about you?

14 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

Not bad, it helps a lot. If it’s really cold I still use anti fogging wipes. If I’m riding very slow and exerting myself I get a bit of fogging, but otherwise it’s good. How about you?

I have an antifog insert that uses same principle of pinlock where its hollow.  That takes care of 90% of the fogging, the breath box seems to pick up the slack.  I have had ZERO fogging with both.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bronson said:

What do you guys think about this helmet? 

I don't see any certifications though, should I look for that?

Is it protective enough?

Price is good, weight is excellent, looks great....

Demon Podium MIPS Helmet

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/384013677325?var=652302158774

Demon has quality gear and they definitely stand behind their products. I don't actually own a Podium but I do have the FreeRide which is not as robust. I also bought a "scratch-and-dent" special directly from them that was perfect other than box damage. I think the Podium MIPs is a fantastic deal at $89.99. The helmet normally sells for $150+ on Amazon. It's not in the same class as higher-end helmets but it should be more than adequate. I would buy it at that price if it was available in my size.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bronson said:

What do you guys think about this helmet? 

I don't see any certifications though, should I look for that?

Is it protective enough?

Price is good, weight is excellent, looks great....

Demon Podium MIPS Helmet

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/384013677325?var=652302158774

Pretty good price. I wouldnt concern myself with certifications on a helmet for simple euc use. Fitment is priority #2 in my book. I'd imagine its capable of taking a hit and bouncing, rather than you simply losing all your teeth. Take the visor off it, strap the bucket on, it should be fine. I have a helmet with MIPS in it. It seems to act like a helmet to me.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

The mountain bike helmet is CPSC Certified.

U.S. domestic manufacturers and importers of “children's products” are required to certify that their products meet all mandatory U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) safety standards.