THE HELMET THREAD

A lesson I've learned from motorcycle riding is to NOT wear black helmets. I know a lot of people (across numerous vehicle platforms) do this and I know why they do it. Black is almost always the wrong color, especially at night. You can offset this with a full ANSI vest but the best advice is to not wear black helmets. Your head is a nice big visible area at the top of your body, by failing to use colors that are much more readily seen, you are depriving yourself of a very significant visual aid.

In addition, the tiny bright lights that some people use are not as good as they like to think that they are. A bright pinprick of light in a sea of lights is almost a throwaway gesture. This is even more true in climate conditions that impair visibility because of light reflecting off of water.

Light tones of two color schemes is the best but if you want to go inexpensive a plain old white helmet is the default choice.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Roadpower said:

NOT wear black helmets

Hm, thanks. I was thinking to paint my helmet in same style as my painted EUC, but wasn't sure, and now there is a reason to do it.

Something like this:

Polish_20210613_052832127.thumb.jpg.c409ec13bd5d5b219122b5a97f03c3ff.jpg

Edited by Oleg Artene
Added helmet paint style draft image
  • Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 11:32 AM, RayBanMonster said:

SMART HELMETS ARE HERE GUYS..

Apple glasses coming out soon, supposedly they will use hand gestures to perform functions. EUCs are basically hands free so I expect quick adoption in the EUC community.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 8:39 PM, Oleg Artene said:

Helmet Camera + Power-Bank

FB_IMG_1623518920140.thumb.jpg.9c127a22a293941e241f71ac3616d85d.jpg

Very nice and slim looking. Unfortunately the battery pack mount to the helmet doesn't look safe. In crash it can turn onto your face or break the frontal helmet structure. It would be better to mount all extra components to the removable visor.

• Like 2

Interesting ideas on this helmet, and I agree with attaching the parts to the back, not the front. As you say, you can't leave parts on your face in the event of an impact. It is possible to use the sides on the outside. Miniature optical and audio equipment is the future of the video accessory. When high technology today integrates a system into the wall of a motorcycle helmet, I prefer it outside not inside, even at low speed for the ride.

12 hours ago, fntms_slowdown said:

L' IXS Trigger FF prend les écouteurs à conduction osseuse Aeropex sans mods, un son bien meilleur que les casques mc et vous restez conscient de votre environnement.

Yes I find this full face helmet very valid for the summer. I am late discovering this very light 2019 model, a single efficient shell. I use the Aeropex that this helmet can receive, good communication.

MlOl934.jpgn78JyON.jpgPYVQxzZ.jpg

On 2/19/2021 at 5:11 AM, fntms_slowdown said:

Great idea to install Aftershocks instead of the typical BT mc helmet audio, I tried several of those and audio for music was mediocre at best...

But on the pic the Aftershocks look like they are not over the ear as worn usually? That still works through the padding? Also you seem to have them connected to a battery, which I understand because the Aftershocks are quite voracious energy wise...but that's one more cable to manage.

Is bone conduction device, works very well over any hard surface, sound is loud and clear, its not connected to an external battery, is just charging.

What I most like, is that Aftershokz could be carried on any of my two helmets, my TGS Pass or my Troy lee design, without further difficulty or any changes

Edited by Mauricio
gramar
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2021 at 4:43 AM, Oleg Artene said:

Hm, thanks. I was thinking to paint my helmet in same style as my painted EUC, but wasn't sure, and now there is a reason to do it.

Something like this:

Polish_20210613_052832127.thumb.jpg.c409ec13bd5d5b219122b5a97f03c3ff.jpg

Done - painted (not professional quality but it's good enough)

SEO tags: Fox Proframe custom spray paint

Edited by Oleg Artene
  • Like 1

The helmet that I ordered (leatt dbx 4.0) didn't fit. So now I am looking for another one because they don't have my size on sale. I don't have much time, my ks s18 arrives on Thursday. Any recommendation for another light and breathable helmet under $200? I'm moving to Florida in December so sthg that I will be able to wear in hot temperatures is a necessity.

40 minutes ago, Alex-l said:

The helmet that I ordered (leatt dbx 4.0) didn't fit. So now I am looking for another one because they don't have my size on sale. I don't have much time, my ks s18 arrives on Thursday. Any recommendation for another light and breathable helmet under $200? I'm moving to Florida in December so sthg that I will be able to wear in hot temperatures is a necessity.

Spend the extra change and get a tsg pass. It's 100% worth it.

31 minutes ago, Steef Klonoa said:

Spend the extra change and get a tsg pass. It's 100% worth it.

Absolutely not a good idea. It is WAY too hot for summer. Combine that with some off-road riding (S18 after all), and you'll just end up dying from heat while also looking like a douchebag. 

Kali Invader, Bell Super Air R are good choices for hot places. Kali is probably the best ventilated full face at around $200. I have one and I can confirm the thing is built extremely solid. Fit-wise it's one of few full face helmets that use the ratchet dial which means custom fit. A bit light on the padding though, so may need to add some extra pieces in specific locations if your head is sensitive to that (it comes with extra sets).

2 hours ago, conecones said:

you'll just end up dying from heat while also looking like a douchebag. 

Oofty that's a bit harsh mate!  hahah I kinda like how the Pass looks!  Gives you the visor without the bulkiness of a full Moto helmet.  But I totally agree though... I got my pass purely for a winter helmet.  It'll be too hot for summer.  You can have the visor up during summer but kinda defeats the purpose of the helmet.   I've had the Fox Pro Frame from day one and it's been stellar for warm weather.  It's got vents coming out of it's wahzoo!  :) 

22 hours ago, Alex-l said:

Thank you @conecones, yeah I don't think that the TSG pass is the best in my case since good ventilation is top priority! Do you think that the Kali Zoka would be too hot? It's less expensive.

The Zoka just looks like a standard budget DH helmet - so it's going to be hot. IMO the Kali Invader is the best value if you really want the ventilation. All the other well-ventilated full face helmets are even more expensive (Bell R series, Fox Proframe, TLD Stage, 100% Trajecta). Although these are DH rated and Kali Invader isn't, I can tell you this is because of the penetration requirement (too many vents), not because of strength. For example the chin bar on the Invader is actually more solid than the Proframe that I tried out in the shop.

19 hours ago, Kamikaze_K said:

Oofty that's a bit harsh mate!  hahah I kinda like how the Pass looks!  Gives you the visor without the bulkiness of a full Moto helmet.  But I totally agree though... I got my pass purely for a winter helmet.  It'll be too hot for summer.  You can have the visor up during summer but kinda defeats the purpose of the helmet.   I've had the Fox Pro Frame from day one and it's been stellar for warm weather.  It's got vents coming out of it's wahzoo!  :) 

Oh I meant it in a light-hearted way :D. I also have the Pass - I mean what self-respecting EUC rider doesn't?? Same for me - its a winter/cold weather commuter helmet only. The problem is every time I wear it though, I look in the mirror and think I'm the baddest mf'er on the block and then end up riding like a douchebag because of it:ph34r:.

• Like 2

I ended up buying a Bell super 3r mips as that was one of the only options that I could get on Amazon in 2 days. I didn't want to ride my new s18 without a full face and it seems like this one is light and airy enough that I will be able to wear it all the time even in hot, humid Florida weather.

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys! What do you think of this helmet for sub 25mph commutes? This particular helmet has something called "MIPS" Is it worth it or do you think it is just marketing bs? Also, do you have any recommendations for a commuting helmet? I want something lightweight, discrete (I don't look like an alien or like I'm going off-roading) and ideally something with lights so i can see better in the dark. Thanks! 

image.thumb.png.d6acf6b7ea9612a790d7da09698daf54.png

image.png

Edited by EUCandME

1 minute ago, James Bonga said:

I would say to go for a full face helmet

I do use a full face for when I'm out normally but now I'm starting to go to work I'm looking for something a little more lightweight and ideally with lights because dark mornings are coming. I am open to any suggestions! 

Jokes aside i survived my EUC dead only because wear 1k dollar/eur protection gear:

im on video: 

My new full face is this model excelent field of view and super comfort:

troy-lee-designs-stage-camo-olive-03-971

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DjPanJan said:

Jokes aside i survived my EUC dead only because wear 1k dollar/eur protection gear:

im on video: 

My new full face is this model excelent field of view and super comfort:

troy-lee-designs-stage-camo-olive-03-971

F*cking hell! What a face plant! What was the cause of the crash? Do you have any pictures of the EUC or helmet afterwards? Hope your ok and don't have any permanent injuries.