THE HELMET THREAD

1 hour ago, Ronin Ryder said:

Is it ok to remove the visor for mtb helmets? I feel like they arent safe for the neck should a fall happen.

Yes, everything I've read/heard says to remove the visor for that reason. They are for DH/trail riding to keep branches away from your face.

On 7/23/2020 at 9:16 AM, Albatross said:

I looked at the POC as well after seeing Hsaing's video, but decided to go with Bell 3R.  The POC is a skiing helmet, I would imagine my dome cooking in the 90+ degree weather we are having and went with the Bell.

I also looked up the POC helmet. The bar is designed tp protect your face from gates. Probably a lot better than nothing though.

11 minutes ago, EkW said:

I also looked up the POC helmet. The bar is designed tp protect your face from gates. Probably a lot better than nothing though.

I had the same thought... it would be a shame of the aluminum snapped on impact and became part of the problem.

I appreciate the comments about the visor on my Smith helmet. I saw the mechanical issue with the face guard but overlooked the visor -- the helmet seems to look better with out it, a llittle more street focused.

On 8/7/2020 at 9:48 PM, Ronin Ryder said:

@Blicky Te️laHow is the poc artic spin chin bar? Does it feel solid during a fall? 

The instructions are a bit confusing. Apparently, there are three “settings”/washers to use. One of for “youth” and collapses easy, one is a little stronger and the last is no collapse. But I’m not sure how to set it? 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

On 6/28/2020 at 7:59 PM, PennBruce said:

If you are referring to the Reevu it is optical.  Uses mirrors.  

Reevu has been around for a while but until your post triggered my interest I had not known about them.  Here's a review on a flip up version.  The review dates back to 2014.

Bruce

Bruce, or others,

Is Reevu the only helmet with a rear view? Any other models with a rear view for around $300 or less?

Thanks.

On 8/10/2020 at 3:24 AM, Blicky Te️la said:

The instructions are a bit confusing. Apparently, there are three “settings”/washers to use. One of for “youth” and collapses easy, one is a little stronger and the last is no collapse. But I’m not sure how to set it? 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

I've just bought a POC and I believe that basically each of the different washers grips inside the mechanism to varying degrees based on which one it is. And that on impact the washer (with it's little teeth) loses grip and it folds up or down? rather than put strain on the helmet? Or you can use the thickest one which says it doesn't break away at all. I could be wrong, but that is how I am assuming it works :) 

I've also been looking at getting a new full face helmet. I'd love something like the Fox Proframe, but I want an internal drop down visor. I can't stand wearing goggles, I feel trapped inside them!

Edited by Retrovertigo

On 8/9/2020 at 10:24 PM, Blicky Te️la said:

22 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

I've just bought a POC and I believe that basically each of the different washers grips inside the mechanism to varying degrees based on which one it is. And that on impact the washer (with it's little teeth) loses grip and it folds up or down? rather than put strain on the helmet? Or you can use the thickest one which says it doesn't break away at all. I could be wrong, but that is how I am assuming it works :) 

I've also been looking at getting a new full face helmet. I'd love something like the Fox Proframe, but I want an internal drop down visor. I can't stand wearing goggles, I feel trapped inside them!

Just got it too and i agree with that. I guess the point for us is to set it to the washer that doesn't fold at all on impact? Else i wouldn't see the point. The chin feels plastic while looking solid, and i think overall its just a minimal protection in case of a small fall but i wouldn't wear this on high speed. 

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 2

i have the Fox proframe and hate goggles too.So i use clear plastic wrap around Bolle,s on overcast days and then tinted ones on the sunny days.Only prob with the Pro frame is that it lets bugs in when riding and once u get a bug inside ur helmet u have to stop and take ur helmet off or have it try to nest in your ear !I,ve ridden it in the rain and it lets surprisingly little water in,but ur glasses get soaked and u end up taking them off.Poc might be the helmet for practicing in the parking lot but road riding,i dont think so!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any actual crash experience with the POC Artic SPIN? It looks like a really attractive helmet and I'm interested in getting one but very curious how it handles a crash.

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a full-face helmet that is not too big and looks as much like a bicycle helmet as possible but with ASTM certification.

I like the look of the Bell Super Air R but unfortunately it is not ASTM certified and I don't know if it would properly resist a frontal impact at the chin.

43 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Does anyone have any actual crash experience with the POC Artic SPIN? It looks like a really attractive helmet and I'm interested in getting one but very curious how it handles a crash.

The guard is ment to avoid getting ski poles in the face (soft sticks to slalom around) and most certainly won’t be much use in case of a face plant.

Looks great though.. I ogled it last year. On hands comments confirmed the guard is plastic and not strong.

You wanted first hand crash experience, which I can’t give you, but seing how popular this helmet becomes I feel it’s important that people are aware it will behave like a roller helmet, not a full face. Which can be ok. But it won’t protect your face, other than from soft sticks.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

Isn't the POC Artic SPIN meant to be used in high speed skiing? The chinbar should be designed well for a high impact hit to the ground, just not abrasion afterwards. Due to momentum in crashes/falls, I can't see someone sliding on their face much. More than likely you'd hit it hard then continue to roll/flop, so the helmet should do pretty well so long as you're fine replacing the chinbar.

Obviously this depends on the speeds you go at, as faster than 30mph you risk more abrasion chances.

29 minutes ago, Spook Chaser said:

Isn't the POC Artic SPIN meant to be used in high speed skiing? The chinbar should be designed well for a high impact hit to the ground, just not abrasion afterwards. Due to momentum in crashes/falls, I can't see someone sliding on their face much. More than likely you'd hit it hard then continue to roll/flop, so the helmet should do pretty well so long as you're fine replacing the chinbar.

Obviously this depends on the speeds you go at, as faster than 30mph you risk more abrasion chances.

It's meant for slalom and it doesn't hold any certifications as slalom doesn't require them. I'm not so worried about the chin guard in itself breaking rather it coming off from the hinges with enough force since it's mounted to the side of the helmet. After some consideration I don't think it's a good helmet to be using for EUC for that reason, I mean the point of using a helmet is in case shit happens, so if things really go that way you don't want to be unsure if you are fully protected or not. With that said I wish there was more subtly and lightly designed full-face helmets, will hold on to my Lazer Phoenix+ for now (even if it's a bit ugly 😜).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dani31 said:

Hi all,

Do you think Bell Super Air R is sufficient for face plan crash in EUC (20mph speed) ?

I search compact look helmet.

Thank you :)

Yes, it's a certified helmet and it even have mips.

39 minutes ago, FunkyWheeling said:

Bell super R/DH/air all very good with ks16S speeds. Comfy but can be cold at winter.

Most helmets are cold at winter, that's why you get a Balaclava or a soft hat to wear under it. 😋

Plan to use mine all year round.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yon said:

posted this in another thread

Cricket batsman type.  Best of both worlds open full face.

It's made for stopping a ball, maybe not the best impact protection in a EUC crash, just sayin'. 😅