THE HELMET THREAD

On 12/8/2021 at 12:33 PM, Bronson said:

What do you guys think about this helmet? 

I don't see any certifications though, should I look for that?

Is it protective enough?

Price is good, weight is excellent, looks great....

Demon Podium MIPS Helmet

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/384013677325?var=652302158774

I have that helmet. I can't say how it compares with others in an impact, but I find it comfortable, and it's good value for money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I just landed an IXS Trigger FF.

Excellent choice! I have been using IXS Trigger FF Mips (EN 1078, ASTM F1952, Fidlock) for about a half a year and I am very happy with it. I bought it because of the dial adjuster, low weight, chin guard, Mips, EN 1078, ASTM F1952 and Fidlock. I can use it with and without my ski hat. I can also use the glasses without any problems. Overall, a very good helmet.

I have made a post about most popular MTB helmets out there. So that anyone can find a proper helmet. It is organized by the weight. The weight is perhaps the first thing that the one looks for.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Wolverine said:

Excellent choice! I have been using IXS Trigger FF Mips (EN 1078, ASTM F1952, Fidlock) for about a half a year and I am very happy with it. I bought it because of the dial adjuster, low weight, chin guard, Mips, EN 1078, ASTM F1952 and Fidlock. I can use it with and without my ski hat. I can also use the glasses without any problems. Overall, a very good helmet.

Also my choice. Really excellent helmet. MIPS version in size S-M fits my 58 cm long oval head really easily, even with a thin beanie. Only in the winter I would choose something warmer.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 12:13 PM, Eucner said:

MIPS version in size S-M fits my 58 cm long oval head really easily, even with a thin beanie.

I meant to say, I'm really surprised at this. A 58cm head on an S/M without MIPS is really snug, let alone with a thin beanie as well. Maybe the MIPS versions are a little roomier. Good info though.

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

I meant to say, I'm really surprised at this. A 58cm head on an S/M without MIPS is really snug, let alone with a thin beanie as well. Maybe the MIPS versions are a little roomier. Good info though.

Regular and MIPS versions have different internals. No wonder their sizing is little different. My beanie is really thin (180 g/m2). Thicker beanie didn't fit (430 g/m2).

In the video you didn't mention anything about the vertical adjustment. At least the MIPS version can be adjusted to 3 or 4 internal heights. This together with dial adjuster makes this helmet to fit any head shape.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah you're right I didn't mention it (forgot), theres 3 positions of vertical adjuster in mine. I tried all 3 but found the best one was the middle which is how it is supplied.

I appreciate that MIPS uses totally different internals, but I would have thought that sizing remained the same. Doesn't seem to be the case though.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Scooter crash showing impact area on helmet.

Rider with no protective gear aside from a helmet.......hard way to learn a lesson on safety.

Unfortunately, people only learn when something happens. I really hope that riders will see this video and think about getting the protective gear.

Edited by Wolverine
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, East Coast said:

Any thoughts on this helmet for the summer?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097Z1VTN2

Do you think it's better than https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GT7BWL3 for reading max 31 MPH?

Edit: or do you suggest anyone helmet that has more ventilation?

Both are extremely comparable. Both have mips and ventilation. I have one similar to the Bell. I think that whichever fits better or simply looks better to you, would be the winner. 31mph is kind of vague. If its 31mph with a direct hit to a brick wall, I think youll fare poorly and your head wont be the only issue. 31mph and hit by a 90mph car would also be pretty unlucky. However, 31mph at a glancing blow from 5 foot, into a short slide and another glancing blow off a curb... Either helmet should suffice. No matter what, either would probably be better than nothing. I dont mind my bell, tho it does impair vision just a hair. Admittedly, I like it most when Im riding around and its on my shelf at home...:eff02be2d7:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

31mph is kind of vague.

Thx. I'm still learning how to ride and can't even get to 10MPH w/out panicking lol

To start I don't plan to ride with cars, going off road, taking any major risks. My falls for now will be more likely related to panic while riding and potentially w/ other riders on the bike lanes in NYC (which I will wait until I'm more comfortable to do but def want the helmet I get to help with this)

Edit: Sounds like there's no solid difference in one being safer aside from looks and fit then?

Edited by East Coast

1 minute ago, East Coast said:

Thx. I'm still learning how to ride and can't even get to 10MPH w/out panicking lol

To start I don't plan to ride with cars, going off road, taking any major risks. My falls for now will be more likely related to panic while riding and potentially w/ other riders on the bike lanes in NYC (which I will wait until I'm more comfortable to do but def want the helmet I get to help with this)

Pick the one that fits. Buy once, cry once. Both will offer good protection. They also wont be too hot. I can remove the chin on mine, but it kind of defeats the purpose of wearing it at all, imho. If you eventually find yourself wanting warmer helmet or something with substantially more protection... you'll be buying a quality and tight fitting motorcycle helmet. Fwiw, I tend to think the MTB helmet is adequate for most euc use. I have a quality racing moto helmet, and its just a bit much imho. Doesnt hurt to have it tho.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, East Coast said:

Any thoughts on this helmet for the summer?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097Z1VTN2

Do you think it's better than https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GT7BWL3 for reading max 31 MPH?

The Troy Lee helmet is downhill certified (ASTM F1952), meaning it will give you some more impact protection than the Bell Super 3R, which only has the regular bicycle certification. A lot of people like to look for the downhill certification for 20+mph riding.

2 hours ago, East Coast said:

Edit: or do you suggest anyone helmet that has more ventilation?

Unless you've already had problems with helmet ventilation I think these would all be fine. These bike helmets are supposed to keep people cool while they're pedaling hard, so there's probably more than enough ventilation for someone who's standing and leaning back and forth.

• Like 2

Cyclists would generate a lot more body heat than an EUC rider.

Heat transfers from higher to lower.

On hot days, an enclosed helmet might be better/cooler for an EUC rider, as the foam/insulation is preventing radiant/convection heat from reaching the head.

A ventilated helmet would not prevent heat from reaching the head.

There might be more heat from the environment than from the head.  

The body heat an enclosed helmet traps.....might be much less than the heat trying to penetrate on a hot sunny summer day.

Think of the thick, heavy protective clothing that firemen wear. 

It protects them from the external heat source.

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

There might be more heat from the environment than from the head.  

The body heat an enclosed helmet traps.....might be much less than the heat trying to penetrate on a hot sunny summer day.

Think of the thick, heavy protective clothing that firemen wear. 

It protects them from the external heat source.

Have you ridden with both ventilated and enclosed helmets in hot temps?! Ventilated will win, every time. EUC or bicycle.

And firefighters use their kit to stop themselves burning to a crisp, not to keep cool. Totally different scenario.

The air movement through a ventilated helmet like a Proframe will always allow more heat to drain from the head than any increase there may be from direct sunlight getting through the vents.

• Like 2