THE HELMET THREAD

18 minutes ago, Paul A said:

It disrupts the smooth, spherical shape of a helmet.

Perhaps the sun visor is designed to easily break off upon impact.

I think so too, about both those points. It is a stiff, resistant material, but would probably snap off if impacted front-on. One great thing about the ADX-2 though is that your face is really set quite a way back from the mask, so even if the peak isn't there the nose and chin would still be a little way off the ground, with hopefully the outer visor remaining in place and keeping the grit out of our eyes  !

I also worry about what that inner visor is doing in a crash - when fully down, it sits almost on the tip of my nose, and is not very smooth-edged - if that got rammed into my schnozz in a hurry I won't be enjoying that so much !

As I mentioned above, the peak does have value if it stops low sun glare, but perhaps we should lose it whenever that's not going to be an issue... like today for example - there was zero sun, and all it did was give me weird wind behaviour, and stop me going faster than 37 kph ! But again - very difficult to know from that one ride if it was the peak that was the issue or the wind itself, and the constantly varying directions it was coming from ! I really f**king wish humans could see wind ! Ah well, it's a nice thing to have included so we can try peaked and peakless and compare and contrast...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

low sun glare

The inner tinted visor should cut sun glare by a significant amount.

Seems unlikely it will be impacted as it is set so far back.

Seems off road helmets feature the sun visor.

Doubles as a branch deflector?

Just now, Paul A said:

Doubles as a branch deflector?

I reckon that's its main purpose in an MX context... the shade thing is largely incidental, unless the sun is in their eyes during jumps and tricks and whatnot...

5 minutes ago, Paul A said:

The inner tinted visor should cut sun glare by a significant amount.

I would have thought that too, but on the TSG the chrome darkened visor there IS the culprit for the glare, but then it does have a slightly unusual profile / contour that may exacerbate that. As there have been no sunny days since this new helmet arrived the glare issue is, as yet untested. The ADX-2 might not do it at all !

In other news, just 2 hours after taking it off, my helmet headache has gone ! My head still feels heavy on my neck though :)

Edited by Cerbera

33 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

@Cerbera don’t skip neck day! 😂

Funnily enough I found myself doing a keyboard session for Alvin Stardust a few years back, and during lunch break, he attributed his perfect health for the previous 60 years to being down to the stretching and neck exercises he used to do on the bed when he got up every morning ! I thought that was probably good advice until it turned out that was his last recording session, and he died about 2 months after it, still owing me 50 quid as it goes ! :/

Edited by Cerbera
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Preposterous

Meanwhile, somewhere in Hollywood........Tom Cruise is dropping the inner aviator shades before setting off........and causing a group of nearby school girls to go all giggly and mutter something about Cerbera.......:D

Edited by Paul A
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cerbera said:

On days where we're up in the 30s

A simple way to remove heat, is to spray water onto body liberally, then ride.

The water evaporation is highly effective in cooling.

Drinking fountains in parks, carry a water bottle......

Edited by Paul A

Not actually that much difference in looks between TSG and ADX-2, once your chrome visor has arrived...

image.png.ff60fd76ab8002a1677ce4c2f91e6d52.png

You can also get those in gold, dark smokey, black and few other styles. I got mine from the visor shop. It arrived in a proper box, nicely packed, so was undamaged on receipt. I will say I always HATE how much we have to stretch and flatten visors to get the pin lock film in place, but once done it's really a set-and-forget thing, and as long as you make sure that your seal is intact around the perimeter there will be no fogging at all on the outer visor, no matter how damp and drizzly it is outside. As mentioned before though, the same cannot be said of the inner visor, which can fog quite easily; quickly I learned that the way to avoid that is to keep the outer visor open a crack, or just raise the whole front of the helmet briefly (the shades don't move when you do this), which gets the air up it nice and fast so it clears.

I will say, on bright sunny days the inner shade is not quite enough darkening for my liking, but when combined with the chrome visor above, which adds a small amount of darkening too we get a level of sun-shading I am very happy with.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Not actually that much difference in looks between TSG and ADX-2, once your chrome visor has arrived...

The white looks much better in real life than it does from usual website pictures , I have that same scorpion helmet but the Carrera Matt Black / Red version, Do you have a link to buy the tinted visors? preferably UK based with quick shipping . 

17 hours ago, Cerbera said:

You're right, there aren't that many difference, but one that sticks out to me is just how much bigger the visor on the TSG is. Even though the ADX-2 is not bad, it is clear the TSG has better visibility. 

But what are your thoughts? I know when I was wearing a motorcycle helmet it felt like I couldn't see anything. It felt like to look down at my feet or the wheel I needed to become a giraffe or something. With the TSG I just notice how natural it is to see things. Visibility is just super important on a EUC, and I wonder if the increased safety really trumps the visibility of the TSG Pass?

I had a Caberg Levo for a while, returned it because even the largest size was a bit too small for my big head. That helmet has insane vertical FOV: looking down your field of vision is, no lie, limited by your face instead of the visor. At the same time, such a deep visor felt a little bit sus, as the chinbar was also held very close to the chin.

Point is that half the moto helmets have apertures big and wide enough for EUC use no problem.

64977-levo_carbon.jpg

27 minutes ago, 2disbetter said:

But what are your thoughts?

You may not have seen my first impressions post, back on page 55 and again for the first ride on page 56 ! There were LOAD of thoughts there ! :)

Even though the ADX-2 is not bad, it is clear the TSG has better visibility. 

I know when I was wearing a motorcycle helmet it felt like I couldn't see anything. It felt like to look down at my feet or the wheel I needed to become a giraffe or something. With the TSG I just notice how natural it is to see things. Visibility is just super important on a EUC, and I wonder if the increased safety really trumps the visibility of the TSG Pass?

Yes I spent a lot of my first impressions post whinging about that :) It is true, the TSG has much better look-ahead properties because of the massively increased vertical space it has - you can look almost fully down and up, and usefully see the WHOLE road ahead of you. With the ADX-2 the letterboxing is uncomfortable at first, and whilst looking straight ahead you can no longer see the ground immediately in front of the wheel OR the far far distance - what you have remaining is a reasonable amount of the impending 'middle-ground' ! You do get used to it, and as I said further up, just have to move your head slightly more to make sure you see everything you need to in time.

In a lot of ways the ADX-2 does cut down on situational awareness if you are used to the TSG. Not only with restricted vision, but also by isolating you a lot more from sound and wind and wheel noises as well (though not beeps in the case of the Master, which are still loudly audible), which can leave you feeling quite insulated from the world, and even from your wheel up there, which initially I found a bit disconcerting. A few rides further on, and I can say that I do hear enough external sound to remain aware of my surroundings, and I quite enjoy the muted calm inside my helmet, especially next to fast busy roads or in a bustling town centre. And for those times when you really do feel like you need extra visibility well, that's the joy of a modular helmet - you can just flip up the front, and get all your visibility back while you need it !

51 minutes ago, Wolverine said:

ADX-2 weights almost 1,9 kg. Can you confirm that?

Yep, 1897 grams. Feel heavy initially, specially with the front up. And because that weight is up high relative to the wheel  it does actually affect what the wheel does when you lean, and we should note that some adjustment of acceleration technique is required so that we don't over-lean our wheels with extra weight in the head department ! Less planking, more knees ! ;)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

Seems like you are really coming to terms with the ADX-2. Do you feel you are at a point where you can comfortably claim whether you would buy it again? 

I do wish we had some reports of people crashing with the TSG and how it handled. I am just partial to using the TSG because it is hopefully safe enough. On crash and it is replaced type deal though. 

1 hour ago, 2disbetter said:

coming to terms with the ADX-2

Yes, that is exactly the right expression for it ! If I thought the TSG was enough for the Master I probably wouldn't wear this by choice.

But knowing it probably isn't enough, I am prepared to wear the Scorpion most of the time, and put up with the things it does worse, which are mostly mitigatable, or circumnavigable with only minor changes to things I would normally do in my TSG. 

And I do keep finding small Quality-of-life enhancements I enjoy as well. I like not having to wear an additional pair of sunglasses under the TSG. I like the front riser, and all the extra instant flexibility that affords, I like the quick ratchet closure as opposed to fiddling about in gloves with the TSG Double D Ring ! I like the isolation from weather, and the fact that it doesn't steam up like the TSG used to (even with the U foam block in).

So definitely lots to like about it, and you do feel suitably tanky and protected whilst wearing it in a way that I never quite did with the TSG. So yes, I think I probably would buy it again, but mainly because I think crashes on the Master are really gonna hurt without it, even in a TSG !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

So definitely lots to like about it, and you do feel suitably tanky and protected whilst wearing it in a way that I never quite did with the TSG. So yes, I think I probably would buy it again, but mainly because I think crashes on the Master are really gonna hurt without it, even in a TSG !

That pretty much sums it up nicely. I think moving up to a more robust helmet will be my goal as well. Glad to see the Scorpion is doing well for you. 

I'm kind of wondering if something like what Chooch and a lot of the Socal folks are wearing would be better. The dirtbike helmet with googles. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 2disbetter said:

I'm kind of wondering if something like what Chooch and a lot of the Socal folks are wearing would be better. The dirtbike helmet with googles. 

I haven't tried that sort of setup, so can't honestly compare. However I can speculate that a full face MC helm will have notably superior fall protection (less bits of helmet will get jammed into your face if you fall on it for example) and better aerodynamic flow at higher speeds. And will be a shit-ton warmer / nicer to wear in Winter and rain ! The converse is equally true though - in the hot Summer sun I'm going wish I had an open helmet, or will think 'safety be damned - I'll ride a bit slower, and take the TSG for the comfort !'. In the UK there is only a week of hot Summer sun every year so I have chosen my helmet to suit the majority of the mainly miserable UK weather :)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

Helmet cleaning kit - both of which were in the local pound-stretcher type shop !

image.thumb.png.80239c77c98177185450fb0d65ecf4a1.png

The yellow one is a microfibre glove that is perfect for cleaning off your lid once you get it home, or before you leave, whereas the other, which is on telescopic handle, is perfect for hanging off your belt as you ride for those occasional wipe-overs in the rain. Both have worked remarkably well so far !