THE HELMET THREAD

Have ridden on very warm days in a Shoei Neotech 2 modular helmet.

Started with ordinary ventilated bicycle helmets.

The enclosed Shoei keeps the head cool, have not experienced any heat discomfort.

Having the clear and sun visor up gives plenty of air flow to face.

Hope that helps.

Shoei NEOTEC 2 Modular Helmet - Matte Black

20 hours ago, Paul A said:

Have ridden on very warm days in a Shoei Neotech 2 modular helmet.

Started with ordinary ventilated bicycle helmets.

The enclosed Shoei keeps the head cool, have not experienced any heat discomfort.

Having the clear and sun visor up gives plenty of air flow to face.

Hope that helps.

Shoei NEOTEC 2 Modular Helmet - Matte Black

Ventilated will beat unventilated for staying cool. The only way it wouldnt, is if you simply are NOT moving and theres absolutely no air flow. Even then, Im not sure the shade from the sun hitting you is going to be better, while cooking inside a full faced helmet with shield, no wind and bodyheat. As mentioned before, Im fairly certain you wont find gains from covering up (for heat), unless its from a fire. Maybe a light fabric over your head will cool you from the sun and its radiation that cooks skin, but a full bucket aint the same as light weight fabric.  I've had a myriad of open, full face, vented and others, in helmets. Even compared to a simple novelty nutshell, my vented Bell is cooler. I dearly LOVE my Shoei and its pretty cool AT SPEED, but its downright miserably hot when idling. Its also not so great when riding with visor up. It catches wind, creates noise, directs bugs into my face, and increases wind resistance a little. Riding a proper full shield helmet with the shield up, is an exercise in futility imho.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Body dumps heat via the blood.

Capillaries near the surface of the skin dilate to increase volume of blood flow exposed to cooling.

The entire surface area of the body is the radiator/heat exchange, not just at the head.

Benefit of insulated head protection from direct sunlight heat vs heat in head trapped.  

Fully enclosed helmet seems fine on hot days.

Maybe there's a YouTube video somewhere of someone doing an experimental comparison.

• Like 1

I do recall a study that showed how colors of helmets have nearly NO effect on temperatures inside the helmet. I was shocked, as I assumed white would be much better than black. THey concluded it wasnt any different when moving. IDR if they noted any differences while at a stand still. I do know I was happy to hear the results, as I didnt want to buy another white helmet. IN the end, my matte black seems fine. I think its much cooler cuz it has a skull on it. haha

• Like 1

I’ve ridden my motorcycle across Death Valley in July where the temperatures stayed above 110f.  My Roadcrafter full body suit and my Shoei modular helmet kept me comfortable where my riding buddies in typical gear were roasting their asses off.  White helmet btw. :D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

UK has a cooler climate.

Ambient temperature will be likely to be much lower.

Ventilated helmet would thus be effective.

Ventilated helmet might not be effective in Death Valley with temperature of around 110F/43C.

UK just would not have temperatures like that.

26 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Ventilated helmet might not be effective in Death Valley with temperature of around 110F/43C.

UK just would not have temperatures like that.

Well of course if the ambient temp is higher than your core (at say around 37 deg C) then you might want to think about insulating yourself from it rather than open venting to it (oh look theres your fireman example).

I guess we then have to look at how many people ride in temps above 37 deg C to justify the wearing of an enclosed helmet. Do we also then take into account any apparent wind chill effect (that old chestnut :) ). Does it exist at such temps? I presume it does, I'm not sure, but I sure bet that standing in a 25mph breeze with 43 degC ambients will feel cooler than zero air movement...

In any event I wouldn't ride in ambients that high, but YMMV. Once you get to the point of having to insulate yourself from external temperatures you will still sweat your nuts off (oh look theres your fireman suit again) whatever you are wearing so you're knackered both ways.

Unless you want to use piped water cooling inside your suit (oh look theres an astronaut) but it seems a bit overkill for an EUC joy ride tbh.

7 minutes ago, Paul A said:

If it is hot, or if it is cold, an enclosed helmet will insulate and maintain a comfortable temperature range within.

I give up mate, I really do. I'm out. Keep rocking your enclosed lids.

16 hours ago, Planemo said:

I give up mate, I really do. I'm out. Keep rocking your enclosed lids.

Yeah, there's definitely a logical tension between "insulate" and "maintain a comfortable temperature" for those of us who don't live on the equator. In hot temps you can't do both, need airflow to evaporate the sweat.

But if you're riding without the face visor you automatically get a bunch of airflow to the face, and that's enough to stay comfortable in a surprisingly wide range of temperatures. Not as cool as a bicycle helmet, but not nearly as hot as some people expect.

In Albany summer temps, I was fine in riding jeans and the TSG Pass. Only my mesh motorcycle jacket got uncomfortably hot, and only when stopping.

Edited by Skeptikos

An airy full-face helmet will feel much better than a closed motorcycle helmet in full summer for sure, the wind coming through alone will make it a blessing.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 8:25 AM, Wolverine said:

Unfortunately, some will learn to use protective equipment in the hard way. Some will learn by other mistakes. Some prevent these situations and use protective equipment at every single ride. Riders, the question is, which category do you belong to?

Unfortunately, some (such as myself) will also learn that you can break something even with very reasonable protective gear and that you need to reduce your speed and any risky riding habits (overlean, "beep riding", etc,...)

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 10:39 AM, Rawnei said:

For winter and autumn riding I'm now using the Shark Evojet that I got at the end of the summer, I also have an integrated Sharktooth Prime bluetooth audio/intercom system which produces decent sound, it's very nice to have both music and phonecalls intergrated into the helmet.

The helmet had issues with fogging but since I got a WeePro insert for it I have no more issues and can ride hours on end without fogging (it doesn't have pinlock support or I would have gone for that).

Super happy with this helmet, good ventilation, it doesn't feel heavy it feels well balanced, the hybrid visor is great, with the visor pulled down you have a really good FOV both horizontal and vertical, with visor pulled up you still have good side protection and can talk to fellow riders and don't have to take it off if you are in the store etc, very very nice helmet to wear it just doesn't work for warmest part of the summer it would get too hot but I use it now for all other seasons.

Recommend, thumbs up.

I got this helmet based on your post and really like it, riding with visor up seems reasonable at low speed and so convenient and pleasant.

Only issue: the sun visor seems to bounce a bit too much on trails/offroad, making a knocking sound...does yours also have this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EUC Forest said:

I got this helmet based on your post and really like it, riding with visor up seems reasonable at low speed and so convenient and pleasant.

Only issue: the sun visor seems to bounce a bit too much on trails/offroad, making a knocking sound...does yours also have this?

Hmm no I haven't experienced that at all actually.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2022 at 7:08 PM, Rawnei said:

Hmm no I haven't experienced that at all actually.:

I managed to tighten it up, great quiet helmet now, the opening mechanism is really neat, pity about the weight, at 1.55kg it's 2.6x the IXS Trigger FF....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EUC Forest said:

I managed to tighten it up, great quiet helmet now, the opening mechanism is really neat, pity about the weight, at 1.55kg it's 2.6x the IXS Trigger FF....

Yes but it's quite well balanced so doesn't feel so heavy IMO, I had a similar weight motorcycle helmet before that felt way heavier.

• Like 1