THE HELMET THREAD

36 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Maybe carry a small 3 inch squeegee.

Well no, I've got the grey fluffy thing now ! Which, being extendable as it is, into a 3 ft metal aerial whip, might also be quite good for detaching any dogs that have become clamped to my thighs during the ride ! ;) Joking aside, the squeegee would look marginally less ridiculous hanging off my waist, but if anything's gonna get rammed up my arse in a crash, I'll take the fluffy thing please ! :)

Edited by Cerbera

ADX-2 gets the chrome visor / dual mirror upgrade... and the peak is back in action !

image.thumb.png.3ae9e3b6244241b02fb0ddf6a42fe03c.png

Just the LightMode Nightshift kit to go now before it is my dream helmet... and that's been shipped !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 3

Bit of an update to my tests with the ADX-2, now with its peak back in place to hold my dual mirrors (above)...

I didn't notice ANY negative effects from the newly reinstalled peak today, but did very much get the benefits - no glare at all on visor, and the mirrors were really useful, though I now have them further in towards my centre of view so they stick out less.

I think it was quite a windy day when I first tried the peak and found it sending me drifty. Today it was totally fine, at much greater speeds. None of the vibration mentioned in other reviews.

However, a couple of small downsides have become apparent over time.

1. The main visor does not raise quite far enough to give you an unobstructed view, and when open at the first click for ventilation, very much narrows your letterboxing, meaning closed really is the best place for it.

2. On wet days the inner sun shade continues to fog up and remains almost impossible to clear via any sort of cloth wiping (no access) until it mysteriously clears itself, but I haven't figured out what I do to make that happen yet, so it happens randomly, or not !

3. The padding has loosened a bit further than it did in the first few days, and now I worry it is fractionally TOO loose, in that a small amount of forward / back rotation is possible when in place. It's still very snug, but I notice it when I have the face flipped and shade visor down, which eventually encroaches on the bridge of my nose lightly as the increased forward weight of the open helmet gravitates downwards to the limit permitted by the chin strap. This may have been the case from the start, but now I am wearing a slippy lycra balaclava under my helmet, which allows it less grip on my head, and makes it a bit easier to rotate.

Edited by Cerbera

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 8:54 PM, Rawnei said:

Yes but it's quite well balanced so doesn't feel so heavy IMO, I had a similar weight motorcycle helmet before that felt way heavier.

Update on the Shark Evojet: I face planted at low speed with this helmet in full face (visor down) mode on soft dirt so no damage, however the fall highlighted the fact that the distance to the chin is quite limited and you can hit the helmet on impact, which happened to me.  You can't really tighten the strap enough to avoid this unfortunately. My chin hurt for two days. The visor was also scratched (they cost 75€ to change) but I managed to buff away the scratches with toothpaste and polywatch.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bell MX-9 Adventure Mips Helmet

This is my first helmet but I can say that I like it as much or more than I thought I would. Visibility is really good and I can move my head around easily. At 3.74 lbs/1.69 kgs to me seems very light and after putting it on I forget it's even there. I like the dirt bike helmets but didn't want to mess with goggles so the adventure helmet with the visor is perfect. I may mount a light to the top of the peak. 

image.png.73d513111bb10a8df8f206a673b6b913.png

Edited by Kakes11
  • Like 1

Just now, Kakes11 said:

Bell MX-9 Adventure Mips Helmet

This is my first helmet but I can say that I like it as much or more than I thought I would. Visibility is really good and I can move my head around easily. At 3.74 lbs/1.69 kgs to me sees very light and after putting it on I forget it's even there. I like the dirt bike helmets but didn't want to mess with goggles so the adventure helmet with the visor is perfect. I may mount a light to the top of the peak. 

image.png.73d513111bb10a8df8f206a673b6b913.png

Oh that's a good idea - hadn't thought of putting a light up there...

• Like 1

For anyone on the fence about getting one of those TSG or Predator style full face helmets...they are awesome. I did not try on the TSG, but after a couple weeks of research last month I went with the Predator DH6-XG. My decisions was mostly due to my head size (almost 58cm), since Predator comes with 3 pad options for fit. I was able to order one of the last helmets from 2022 still in stock, and it got here from Canada in less than 2 weeks. I wore it for about a week and discovered it had a broken inset on one side , so I could not switch visors. The company is super responsive and refunded my money in shipping it back to them. 

I am still waiting for the replacement, but after the 2 weeks of wearing it I loved it. They already processed my shipment it looks like, so it should be back here soon.

Having not liked wearing my motorcycle helmet before....yes I tried, and it was a "good" option for full face...just a bit heavy for my taste and lacked the peripheral vision I wanted.

I was blown away by the Predator design. First off, it is super light. I would agree that it is probably not good for very fast riding, but for my 20-30mph range it feels very good....right in between a bicycle helmet and MC helmet IMHO. Second, the visibility is very near 100%. Some report looking down is blocked by the chin section, but I did not really find it distracting. My main concern is being able to turn my head as I don't use mirrors and need the wider vision than a typical MC helmet has. The peripheral vision and visors are really good. Thirdly, the fit is very comfortable with medium pads supplied and it also came with a set of velcro pads to help with the fit. I know you can also get aftermarket helmet pads too, but the ones they sent did the job for me.

I did notice something that some people complained about...there are air holes near the ear that channel a lot of air through the helmet and make quite a bit of sound at higher speeds. Some people block these off, which I may also do, but is a minor issue for me. Not sure if the newer models have changed that or not. Just putting your finger up the hole makes the ride very quiet.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR3q5yDY/

Edited by Circuitmage
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 5:06 PM, Cerbera said:

Oh that's a good idea - hadn't thought of putting a light up there...

A decent flood light which follows your line of sight is great, IME. Very simple to fit and illuminate.

IMG_1303.jpeg

IMG_1302.jpeg

A wee one gets affixed with Velcro to the rear of the helmet too.

IMG_1305.jpeg

Edited by Freeforester
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Freeforester said:

A decent flood light which follows your line of sight is great, IME. Very simple to fit and illuminate.

That's awesome, you will be seen and can see well with that I'm sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh the ADX-2 really isn't that bad... I haven't had any problems with shaking peaks, but though I do have to admit there is a tendency for the chrome screws to come loose, it is mitigated by the fact that you can feel it being loose way before they fall out. I check / re-tighten mine about once a month.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There is a fairly interesting Kickstarter going on right now, might be an option for some (probably not me, I'm very happy with my motocross helmet and I would miss some of the features it has), but as an alternative to downhill MTB helmets, maybe...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thebeam/the-worlds-first-full-face-bicycle-helmet-virgo/description

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Weatherman159 said:

There is a fairly interesting Kickstarter going on right now, might be an option for some (probably not me, I'm very happy with my motocross helmet and I would miss some of the features it has), but as an alternative to downhill MTB helmets, maybe...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thebeam/the-worlds-first-full-face-bicycle-helmet-virgo/description

looks cool, but (and I am the man with the "but" for many things); how about this: Doing a forward crash, and the helmet does like this (picture) ? I'd rather wear a normal mtb or MC full face.

Screenshot_20230609-195638-424.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2023 at 12:21 PM, Weatherman159 said:

Definitely late to the party but one local rider has been looking into this for slower speed riding too. I believe he's contributed to the campaign too. As my profile picture shows, I bought into the Pass when Eevees had it on sale and definitely got a bit leery about it (especially since I'd downgraded from a crappy cheap moto helmet that likely still was more protective). I didn't want to sacrifice much FOV and still kept weight as a priority, so I ended up with the O'Neal Sierra II.

image.thumb.jpeg.23da1e6f25f4513972460631002cb2ce.jpeg

The chinbar was definitely a lot longer than I initially thought, and I'd wager it'd look goofy without the sun peak. Like people have said though, it does feel nice for airflow (especially with a removed chin curtain). I don't think the helmet would be dangerous in most crashes but there is a slight worry that in a sort of somersault tumble that the chin could end up being a bit stabby into my chest. I've been very happy with the weight (sub 3.5 lbs) and the FOV out of it (almost as good as the Pass), but when some more money comes by I might consider the EXO AT950 which is now in closeout.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2023 at 9:19 PM, Flygonial said:

so I ended up with the O'Neal Sierra II.

Thats actually a really nice lid for EUC use, good find. I've not seen a lightweight MX style lid with a visor before. I do have a similar helmet at home but it's full road motorbike spec and therefore too heavy IMO for EUC use. Most of the lightweight MX lids don't have visors because they use goggles but I find goggles a right pain in general. I get loads of dust in my eyes even though I always use spectacles so this O'Neal kinda deals with all the problems. Looks sharp too. Nice one! Cheers for sharing that.

• Thanks 1