THE HELMET THREAD

I have some input that no one has yet to mention:

I'm essentially an old bald fart, and I wear a 7idp Carbon Project 23 in S. Florida. I don't notice the heat as much as I thought I would. I do worry that all those vents are going to leave me with matching sunburn patches that I will need to hide with a baseball cap when I get back from a day time ride :efeee20b79:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The use of off road helmets, with the extended chin bars, on the road is strange.

The non contact space between chin bar and chin, might be problematic in a higher speed frontal impact.

The head is not fully restrained.

If the head and neck moves forward within the helmet on impact, the chin strap is going to inflict severe blunt force trauma on the trachea/windpipe.  Akin to decapitation.

Road helmets do not have the extended chin bar and space.  The padded chin bar is in contact with the chin.  Upon impact, there would be little forward head movement within and relative to the helmet.

The extended, jutting out chin bar might perversely be increasing the likelihood of contact with road, and injuries.

Designed and suitable for off road conditions, perhaps not as apt for higher speed on road conditions.

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2022 at 6:55 PM, Paul A said:

Different models/design of Demon wrist guards.

Would not be able to cut straps off Andrew's.

Demon_Flexmeter_Wrist_Guards__65709.1590

DS6450-2.jpg?v-cache=1432737012

Look again.

The wristguards that Andrew was wearing in the video are Flexmeter Wrist Guard Double Sided D3O, which, in my opinion, are the gold standard in the EUC community. Your photos are not the same as the ones he was wearing. The straps most definitely can  but should not be cut-off. I would invite you to call or email Demon Customer Service and quote their response before giving this advice to the forum. I have owned six pair and have used that model for more than five years. I have crashed many times with these wristguards with absolutely no physical damage to my lower arms wrists or forearms because the straps were tightly secured.

On 5/14/2022 at 6:55 PM, Paul A said:

The following statements indicate the design, intended use and applications, might not be adequate for EUC high speeds.

• the worst, and quite common longboard skateboarding impacts are slap downs to the back of head.
  • INTENDED USE: The Pass helmet with visor is intended for downhill skateboarding or downhill biking use only. The visor is intended to provide protection from wind, dirt, mud, sun and impact. Do not use this visor on road when driving.

• APPLICATIONS: The TSG Pass helmets are designed for use in non-motorized recreational sports such as skateboarding and pedal cycling. All TSG helmets fully comply with international safety regulations.

Uh, longboards and downhill mountain bikes have been hitting 60+ mph for years. According to Wikipedia, the current land speed record for longboarding is 91.17mph.

EUCs are still (much) slower and are just now getting close to 50mph.

As for the TSG Pass helmets, ASTM's F1952 Downhill Standard is more than up to the task.

I have reached out to Predator Helmets to inquire about the safety certification and rating for the DH6 product line. I will update this post when I get a response.

UPDATE

I received a response from Predator Helmets (MattK) less than 30 minutes after I emailed him. What a class act. Here is the response:

• The DH6-Xg has CE EN1385 the Europe standard for bicycle.  It also meets the USA standard for bicycle CPSC.  The CE standard is generally good as far as impact, coverage, etc... but the CPSC has a tougher impact standard than the CE.  As I remember ASTM F1952 is an easy standard to pass, but does have a chin guard test that is also passable even with injection molded ABS chin guards like on many recent lower price mountain bike helmets and some other crossover helmets like Ruroc, Nobleman - which fracture more easily when impacted - so to me are not real full face helmets.  Most high end helmets(like our DH6 series) use polymer resins reinforced with carbon or fiberglass that are stronger - especially in narrow sections like chin guards. Predator DH6-Xg has CE EN1078 For Europ Bike/skateboard and CPSC(legal bicycle requirement for USA and Skateboard for California and a few other USA states) Other popular EUC helmets do not meet CPSC.  I can only guess that their product did not pass it so chose to get other lower impact-test standard certifications.

10 hours ago, Eucner said:

EN1385 is not the European standard for bicycle helmets. It is "Helmets for canoeing". The bicycle standard is EN1078.

Despite all written distraction, Predator DH6 is not F1952 certified. The level of knowledge in this response is not at the level to be expected from professional helmet company.

UPDATE2

I received a follow-up response from Predator Helmets (MattK) after I shared the post above from EUCner. Here is the response:

• my mistake, 1385 is the CE for whitewater which we use on a number of our helmets.  I meant 1078 which is the CE bike/skate -  as noted at the bottom of my email to you.  should have proofread it first!  
Edited by litewave
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The cutting off of straps was in reference to a model/design that is different to Andrew's.

One of the primary concerns in the design of a long board, downhill helmet is aerodynamics.

The helmet is designed for a long board rider in a tucked position.

The long board rider head is in a horizontal position. 

An EUC rider is upright, head vertical.

The shape of the helmet, notably the extended, jutting out chin bar, is for the purposes of reducing air drag/minimize air vortices.

The extended, elongated chin bar, may be more hazardous, as expounded in a previous post.

The requirements of down hill long boarding, and subsequent design might not be optimal for EUC riding.

Motorcycle helmets may or may not be more suited to EUC riding.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjBgsqUjeL3AhUR8XMBHQnEAvUQFnoECA0QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sciencedirect.com%2Fscience%2Farticle%2Fpii%2FS1877705810002808%2Fpdf%3Fmd5%3D88fe7df3f8c252fc07c09cec6aca1c6b%26pid%3D1-s2.0-S1877705810002808-main.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2CVJPxtp-w7L9PUYVBCnRw

image.png.f09ee13c91516e5a64a3f30806a4f77e.png

image.png.1c942fd73c1d73b11d030b579613c9f3.png

image.png.d68367862657657b59fcff82d4157c3b.png

image.png.84fcf432cb3500745649eb893ab3b34b.png

image.png.56f527490c5b4d958ca9f91e4925bee2.png

Edited by RagingGrandpa
(split)
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

https://www.predatorhelmets.com/products/dh6-xg?variant=31669915091076

DH6-Xg

Meets CPSC bicycle standard and is CE-1078 certified for bicycles and skateboards
image.thumb.png.fe2d23dd59e21cb40a70ac97ebb255c0.png

The standard for downhill helmets is F1952.

The letters of "DH" in the Predator model name DH6-Xg might be potentially misleading consumers into thinking it has passed the higher standards required for downhill safety certification.

The aerodynamic shape of the
DH6-X6 suggests that it is a downhill helmet.

A downhill helmet meeting the higher F1952 standard would justifiably be higher in price.

The DH6-X6 is not certified to the higher F1952 standard.

Summary: ASTM's F1952 Downhill Mountain Bicycle Racing helmet standard is significantly more stringent than the CPSC bicycle helmet standard.

A helmet needs much more coverage to meet F1952, and is tested at higher impact levels. Chinbars are not required, but are tested if they are present.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, litewave said:

UPDATE2

I received a follow-up response from Predator Helmets (MattK) after I shared the post above from EUCner. Here is the response:

• my mistake, 1385 is the CE for whitewater which we use on a number of our helmets.  I meant 1078 which is the CE bike/skate -  as noted at the bottom of my email to you.  should have proofread it first!  

It is even less assuring when the corrective response is also sloppy. In the bolded texts, it looks like the writer doesn't understand what those numbers and acronyms means, and how they are linked together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 7:30 PM, The Brahan Seer said:

Why this might be the best EUC helmet...

I've been testing out this helmet (VOZZ 1.0) and it's been very interesting. The Pros: 1) It weighs 1800g which sounds like its really heavy but in use feels much lighter than my 1450g. Why? I don't get any neck fatigue when using it. When glancing over the shoulder or turning your head the wind flows over the sides and bottom very easily. 2) You can put it on and off wearing your gloves. 3) You can keep your glasses on too. 4) Has a very good field of view especially looking down (for a motorcycle road helmet). 5) Does not fog up as easily as others and comes with Pinlock if required. 6) Very well made and feels very comfortable. 7) Ventilation is good. 8) Does not have a chin strap. 9) Easier to put over some EUC handles?

Cons: 1) Wind noise is a bit loud. 2) Some might not like the helmet support touching the chin. 3) Potential cost; unless you can get it cheap which seems possible atm. 4) life expectancy of hinges/chin guard. 5) Replacement cost. 6) Looks. 7) Weight will put people off and is still much heavier than downhill types. 

Conclusion: If you are looking for a motorcycle helmet with better field of view and the protection it affords give it a try, it might surprise you.

On 5/15/2022 at 1:15 AM, Tawpie said:

Keep in mind that an EUC fall is different than one on a motorcycle—it happens very very very quickly and you will almost certainly pitch forward.

20 hours ago, Paul A said:

The requirements of down hill long boarding, and subsequent design might not be optimal for EUC riding.

Motorcycle helmets may or may not be more suited to EUC riding.

I think these are very important points. Not only are EUC falls unique, I would argue ALL falls are unique - you almost never fall the same way twice. A classic example is the low side vs high side motorcycle crashes where there is a huge difference. Even if we try to use a common denominator (i.e. speed) to determine suitability of a particular helmet design/certification, it is very hard to come to a clear conclusion. We can really only be sure of one thing: wearing a helmet is better than not wearing it. The question of "how much better" one is over another, is something I think is not really worth splitting hairs over on a technical standpoint (not enough relevant data). 

This is where a personal risk assessment is needed to determine what gear is best - something that is best for your case is going to be different for another. I favour helmets with highest field of view while sacrificing on protection. Of course there's others on the opposite side of this scale. The reason I am comfortable wearing a half lid (snowboard helmet) while lane splitting with cars on the road is that I am familiar with riding in traffic, and I do this as a daily 30km commute where I get cut off multiple times on each ride. People have often suggested mirrors for riding in heavy traffic (helmet or wrist mount) and I reject this idea because of the following: if I do not have enough clear room in front of me to safely do a head turn, then I am simply not going to switch lanes at this time. With a mirror, there is a higher chance you can miss something and it promotes behaviour that will elevate your risk. In the back of my mind, I know that truthfully no amount of gear is going to save me if a car runs me over, so I go with the mantra of "I can't avoid something I didn't see".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes, wearing a helmet is better than not.

The ASTM F1952 standard includes testing of the chin bar.

TSG Pass Pro helmets have the ASTM F1952 downhill certification.

Predator DH6-Xg helmets do not have the ASTM F1952 downhill certification.

And yet, the TSG Pass Pro helmet seems to be cheaper.

https://www.ridetsg.com/shop/pass-pro-solid-color----bonus-visor-/79025-30-173/

TSG Pass Pro                299.95 Euros  approximately $312 USD

small_79025_173_01.png

https://www.predatorhelmets.com/products/dh6-xg?variant=31669915091076

Predator DH6-Xg         $395 USD

DH6-Black_1024x1024.png?v=1635855338

Edited by Paul A
  • Like 2

Predator vs TSG Pass: What's the Best PEV Helmet?

May 6, 2022

AKedOLQfTs8EquvBcP8POKOqxICWbg1IRivs60EM

63.2K subscribers

Video copied to commence at time mark 4.50.

Jimmy:

"If you're concerned that the TSG Pass might be too small, then you might want to consider the Predator, because it's one size fits all.  It comes with all the different padding that you need, if you need to size up or size down

Andrew:

"One thing to note about the TSG Pass helmet, they're all the same size.  So whether you get a small, medium or large, it's not like you're getting a bigger helmet, you're getting the same helmet, just different pads."

The helmets do not come in different sizes.

It is one size fits all.

The helmets are using different thickness sponge padding to fill in the spaces between the head and the helmet.

The head is not fully, properly restrained, with all over direct contact with the protective foam shell.

Is it actually a loose fit?

The sponge padding only giving the sensation that the helmet is fitted properly?

In a frontal impact, is the head going to be restrained to remain properly within the helmet, or continue forward until it hits the chin bar?

Is the chin strap going to strangle the neck of a forward moving head?

Edited by Paul A

Helmets should probably not be one size fits all, with sponges to fill in the gaps.

https://www.bikebiz.com.au/blog/articles/how-can-i-be-sure-that-my-helmet-fits-properly-and-why

How to fit a helmet properly and why

Until Science Fiction becomes reality and body swapping can occur, you only get one brain.

This is why it is so important that you have a proper fitting helmet in case you have an accident and hit your head.

A guy with an over-piled trailer didn't check his blind spot as he changed lanes into mine.

In an effort to avoid him, I hit the brakes and swerved, clipping his left tail light on the way.

I ended up landing on my head and right shoulder, breaking my right collar bone.

I also sustained a head injury causing me not to remember what actually happened.

I ended up with a concussion and 24 hours of amnesia.

Why?
My helmet was plastic, and too big for my head.

When my helmet hit the ground, my head wasn't in it properly, and my head hit the helmet once it was on the ground.

This caused a double impact.
When the helmet hit the ground, the EPS lining absorbed the initial impact, but not the impact from my head hitting the helmet.

From that day on wards, I have always put money into a proper fitting, great quality helmet.

Make sure your helmet fits you properly.
The below steps will help guide you.

1. Measure your head size.
Pass a tape measure around the crown of your head, about an inch above your eyebrows. This should be the biggest part of your head.

2. Check the size against a sizing chart like the one below from Shoei Helmets.

3ebfdb0c-d24c-4cb3-bbe0-028d0f46f012_Sho

3. Remember that measuring your head with a tape measure, doesn't always translate to the actual helmet.

4. Try the helmet on.

5. Have a think about how the helmet is feeling.

*Can you fit a finger between the helmet and your temple? You shouldn't be able to.

6. Take the helmet off.
The helmet will be as difficult to get off as it was to get on. If it's easy to get n and off when it's new, it's too big and you should try down a size.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Skeptikos said:

For a fall onto the road, what matters is the height of the fall.

The height is the most important and coefficient of friction comes in second. The impact force is a vector sum of falling (vertical) and friction (horizontal) forces.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Skeptikos said:

The idea that off-road helmets are dangerous in a crash and could decapitate you is so bizarre and absurd, that it should totally discredit the unserious person who wrote it.

https://www.uchealth.com/en/media-room/patient-stories/kentucky-woman-walks-after-rare-internal-decapitation

Nov. 11, 2019

Kentucky Woman Walks After Rare Internal Decapitation

On the sunny evening of Friday, Aug. 16, 2019, Nicole decided it was the perfect night to practice riding her motorcycle.

The medical term for internal decapitation is occipitocervical dissociation, which is caused by rupture of the ligaments that connect the skull to the neck.

It is often a fatal injury, and in those who survive, severe neurologic deficits are common.

Emergent surgery is required to relocate the skull to the upper cervical spine and stabilize it with screws and rods.

akin
/əˈkɪn/

adjective
  1. of similar character.
    "something akin to gratitude overwhelmed her"
Edited by Paul A
Formatting
  • Upvote 2

• 8 months later...
11 minutes ago, Wolverine said:

As previously stated on our forum, the EN1078 (bicycle), ASTM F1952 (DH) and ASTM F2032 (BMX) may not be sufficient for euc riding. Let me explain why.

When I started riding an euc, the maximum speed of my wheel was 20 km/h (12 mph). At this speed, a bicycle (EN1078) helmet was quite sufficient. The next electric unicycle was already traveling faster than 30 km/h (18 mph). I upgraded my helmet to ASTM F1952. After that I got an euc with a maximum speed of 50 km/h (31 mph). I didn't get a better helmet because I've believed the ASTM F1952 to be sufficient. The top speed of my next euc is definitely more than 50 km/h (31 mph). What has happened in the meantime? What has happened is that the maximum speed of the euc has increased, but we have not paid attention to the helmets.

Let's turn our attention to the most common standard used by riders - ASTM F1952. Recently, there have been uploaded many videos on the Internet showing that ASTM F1952 is not sufficient. Someone might say that one particular company makes bad ASTM F1952 helmets, but we have to take into account that this is a very popular helmet among euc riders and that's why we get more data from these riders.

The ASTM F1952 helmet user manual clearly states that the helmet is intended for downhill skateboarding or downhill biking use only. As it turns out, we use the helmet for the wrong purpose. But let's not stop there, let's dig further. ASTM F1952 is intended primarily for use downhill biking and longboarding. When googling, you will find out that competitive downhill MTB riders average speed is typically between 29-32 km/h (18-20 mph). Longboarding speed typically ranges from 9 km/h (6 mph) when cruising, to 80-104 km/h (50-65 mph) when downhill riding. Check in what position they ride - the head is as low as it can get. The head distance is a bit higher for MTB riders, but it cannot be compared to the height of electric unicycle riders. When I get on my V11, my total length is about 200 cm (78 Inch). Some electric unicycles have pedals even higher, and there are riders taller than me.

The previous information brings us nicely to the fact that ASTM F1952 is tested from a height of 200 cm (78 Inch). Since there are many different forces that affect the impact of the helmet with the ground, it is clear that the ASTM F1952 standard is not suitable for euc riding. And that's why we see that these types of helmets don't provide the protection that we need.

SPSC (Consumer product safety commission) has a chart on their website with helmet recommendations for different sports. It is as simple as it gets - If your device has a motor, it is recommended to use a motorcycle helmet. For example, DOT and ECE 22.05 testing height is 300 cm (118 Inch).

I am going to change my ASTM F1952 helmet to a motorcycle helmet. Dual-sport motorcycle helmets are hybrid helmets, with larger eye openings to allow goggles as well as a face shield for the street. I think this is the most sensible style of motorcycle helmet for most euc riders.

Where you ride should be a greater factor than what wheel you ride in determining what type of helmet to wear. High speed roadways with cars? Get the full face DOT helmet. Inner city mixed traffic with cars and/or bikes? A case could be made for any type depending on preferences of weight, visibility, riding style. Off-roading in the forest? Full face or half shell MTB helmet.

Speed is just one factor out of many. It's important of course but it would be smart to not base your decision entirely on this one factor.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

whether the TSG Still has a place for slow careful night rides

Seems pointless in wearing the TSG now that the Scorpion is available.

The TSG looks like a toy in the side by side comparison.

TSG is around 980 grams.

The ADX-2 is nearly twice the weight at around 1834 grams.

The ADX-2 is certified to:

ECE 22.06 replaces ECE 22.05, the current road-legal motorcycle helmet safety standard.

Helmets for use on public roads must pass the safety test before they are put on sale.

A slow, careful night ride, can be interrupted by a vehicle hitting a person with a lot of force.

Nice choice.

The visor thing (the white thing above the visor I mean) on the ADX-2... is it adjustable? What is the purpose of that? I think I am going to get a similar helmet because while I just got a TSG, I really do wonder how much that helmet will protect me in a crash.

13 minutes ago, 2disbetter said:

The visor thing (the white thing above the visor I mean) on the ADX-2... is it adjustable? What is the purpose of that?

Scorpion-Helmet.png

Scorpion ADX-2 peak FAIL

AL5GRJV2f1_pNclbpVN64Z93F8DA6_dCdv2xWazq Jan 27, 2023

Everything is wrong about the peak: the angle, the thin material, how it vibrates even at 70km/h, how the vibration gets transfered to your forehead, how the screws get loose due to the vibration... Cutting corners scorpion, huh?!