THE HELMET THREAD

41 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Cutting corners scorpion, huh?!

Nope, mine is not like that - rigid at both ends and only a little flex in the centre. Not that I will be going very near 70 kph anyway !

I mean obviously they are cutting some corners so they can make a high quality helmet for 200 odd quid instead of 700, but hopefully they haven't chopped anything that detracts from safety. Presumably not or it wouldn't have passed all the latest standards.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 2disbetter said:

Ok, but was is the purpose of the Apex? Is it supposed to diffuse wind better or something? 

For me it's glare - keeping the low sun out of my eyes... another thing that can lay a TSG pass low, which doesn't have the peak. I have seen 2 or 3 videos now where they specifically call out the peak as NOT affecting airflow or catching the wind, even at very high speeds. Nobody has mentioned vibration, but I will watch out for it in the first test ride... there is quite a blow on today, so might be a good time to see, not that I enjoy windy riding up high on that wheel !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, 2disbetter said:

The visor thing (the white thing above the visor I mean) on the ADX-2... is it adjustable? What is the purpose of that? I think I am going to get a similar helmet because while I just got a TSG, I really do wonder how much that helmet will protect me in a crash.

Any gear is better than no gear. However, I would rank TSG below any name brand MTB Full Face helmets, base on chin bar clearance to my face. I've 7 helmets and have 4 in rotation base on best comfort/protection in a given weather conditions. I think I can replace my TSG with the LS2 Subverter for use in similar weather condition... still testing

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DragonFZ said:

The visor thing (the white thing above the visor I mean) on the ADX-2... is it adjustable?

I'd say not. It is removable, and moves with the other surfaces as you raise and lower the outer visor and front flip up, so it is never in the way, but it doesn't have any play when locked into position, and there is only one position it locks in. Another advantage of it, now I come to think of it makes it very easy to attach helmet mirror, especially one of the chunkier ones that Dawn and Marty et al favour...

Edited by Cerbera

Before I leave the house with it I have worn the ADX-2 while I work for half an hour. It fogs up really incredibly easily (and unfix-ably when no airflow to clear it!) without the pinlock installed ! So I can see that needs to go in before first ride... and that's the next challenge - my pinlock doesn't look anything like the pinlocks in the videos I've seen on the subject ! Will it fit ?! 

Yes it will ! And perfectly sorts the fog problem ! Yay ! Only a test ride awaits !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

I was looking at the AGV K3 SV to use with my TSG Pass and Fox Proframe helmet throughout the year but I haven't yet pulled the trigger on it. I have a round, melon shaped head so many MC helmets I've tried simply put too much pressure on my temples. It doesn't help that I also wear glasses

Edited by Clem604

Thanks, @Paul A but no, I don't necessarily think it needs to go back. Or at least not yet...

None of the problems I have with it are intrinsic to that helmet, rather MC helmets in general, and I suspect I will find mainly identical criticisms with any modular MC lid.

I think I just have to get used to it, and resist the (currently rather strong) urge to go back to the TSG and damn the risk. I feel free in that helmet. In the new one I am a prisoner in a padded cell looking out of a letterbox !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

go back to the TSG and damn the risk.

This is where I'm at currently but I still might pick up a MC helmet to have more options. Everyone has the freedom to choose the amount of risk they are willing to expose themselves to and this is no different. As much as I value brain protection I value spacial awareness as well. This is a compromise that I am willing to live with.

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul A said:

Would a helmet communications set, with the microphone positioned outside, help?

Yes, and that was going to be part of my Mandalorian voice box plan - mic to my ears so I can clearly hear people, and mic inside going to a speaker so they can hear me.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Might be easier to put on glasses, after the helmet is on.

Indeed - that was one thing I forgot to try so far, and was how I used to ride with the TSG; visor sometimes open (when going slow), but shades under it to keep the insects and wind out of my eyes. It's SUCH a shame that the aviator style shades on the AX-2 fog up like they do - I would much prefer that to having to wear shades as well. It's not minor, incremental fogging either; a single breath in the wrong direction insta-opaques the whole inner visor ! Instant blindness ! Suprised they didn't flag that in the tests to be honest...nobody has mentioned it in any reviews I have seen either, yet I would call that a fairly major flaw, especially if you are new to the helmet and still have to grab about to feel for the riser switch whilst blind and still in motion !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

Just now, Paul A said:

Would eliminate internal fogging problem.

Yes indeed - if I crack the outer visor inner one tends to fog up less, but still does a bit. Takes a very long time to clear again, and sometimes I couldn't get it to clear at all, so ended up raising it again to get my eyesight back !

@Cerbera If the weight of the helmet is an issue, have you considered a non-modular MC helmet? A non-modular should be lighter but you do give up the benefits of course. I'm currently considering a few helmets that aren't the lightest but also not the heaviest :

AGV K3 SV
Icon Airflite (with MIPS!)

Bell Qualifier DLX (also with MIPS)

Edited by Clem604

Just now, Paul A said:

Wearing a cycling helmet liner/skull cap may help.

Easy to wash and dry.

...may help what specifically ?! I already have the ninja lycra balaclava on, which isn't adding much in the way of heat, but is stopping me sweating all over the helmet when I am too hot !

6 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

have you considered a non-modular MC helmet?

I have, but get real cognitive dissonance about that. One (admittedly small) part of wanting to upgrade from the TSG was to get an opening lid for all the times when I just want a quick swig of drink without half de-gearing to do it. Also, people were struggling to hear me through the TSG pass.

Yes, non modular is lighter, but I can't drink tea (or do crafty smokings), or do clear communications without taking it all off ! It's a real dilemma !! :) I suspect if my neck has to deal with it often enough, it will resist, but then improve to cope with it, much as my leg muscles have done in the step up (quite literally!) from MS3 to Master !!

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

Just now, Paul A said:

Skull cap for comfort, less sweat into the helmet's internal liner, perhaps a de-facto MIPs?

Easier to wash a skull cap regularly, reduce frequency of washing for helmet's internal liner.

Agreed, but superfluous if you already have the ninja hoodie :)

• Like 2

Not sure sun visors are desirable.

In the video that Dawn made, in which she was describing some of her crashes......she recounted the occasion when she was sliding, face down, with her visor scraping furiously against the road.

She stated that it is much more preferable to slide, as it is much more stable......than tumbling in an uncontrolled manner, and breaking bones.

Hence, the sliders on gloves, knee and elbow pucks, sliders on boots, etc.

A sun visor on a helmet seems to present large snagging points.

It disrupts the smooth, spherical shape of a helmet.

Perhaps the sun visor is designed to easily break off upon impact.

• Upvote 1