THE HELMET THREAD

So i'm probably one of the few that's not converted to full face helmets yet... I've fallen a couple of times now (only once concussion inducing) but never face first.

But coming winter (well it's a possibility here in Belgium) i'm looking for one that is more winter suited. (as in higher visibility and warmer ears mostly)

Any of you have experience with these or would recommend something else? Below are actually mainly targetted to speed-pedelec's.

Cratoni Vigor Abus Pedelec 2.0 ACE Giro Bexley MIPS or Centro Winter except the last one they are all around 200€. (last one is half) 

On 12/28/2019 at 12:49 AM, Pabgarja said:

Goggles, sorry for my english.

Ah like that. For eye protection?

I wear sunglasses and I have some clear glasses that are about the same shape too. When riding the Onewheel I don't use them. When EUC'ing I try to think about taking them along, because insects in your eyes, that's not a lot of fun

9 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Ah like that. For eye protection?

I wear sunglasses and I have some clear glasses that are about the same shape too. When riding the Onewheel I don't use them. When EUC'ing I try to think about taking them along, because insects in your eyes, that's not a lot of fun

Mmm interesting, and what about the size of the helmet? I have read that is a bit bigger than others.

My TSG Pass arrived today. Satin fire red. So sexy! I was super excited.

My wife less so. “That’s great, at least it will protect your face. Are you going to pick up that box or am I going to be tripping over it for the next three weeks?”

Ahh Marriage...

• Like 2

On 3/8/2019 at 2:54 AM, Jerome said:

I live in Philadelphia and I would give up EUCs before riding around in a dirt bike helmet. I wear a POC

I wonder, is it reasonably comfortable to wear a POC + chinguard amidst Philadelphian😁 summer? 
(My search for a helmet has brought me into the same alley: skiing helmet with a a chinguard). Very curious.

Edited by Sansedo
To better phrase my thought.

I'm going to be throwing down my money on one of these puppies when it launches this year. I already own a Livall smart cycle helmet, and while expensive, I think it was worth it. It has Bluetooth built in, indicators, rear light, and also a crash sensor that hooks into your mobile phone and will send a message plus GPS co-ordinates to a designated number should you have an accident.

This motorcycle helmet builds on that, and also features a head up display with your speed, heart rate!? and gps map....which for riding a unicycle will be fantastic :) Plus for you nutters happy to risk losing your jaw/nose ;) It converts into an open-faced helmet. But I suspect the biggest drawback will be the price! 

edit: oh yeah, and a built in 4K camera!

Edited by Retrovertigo
  • Like 3

I participaate with my personal experience. Met parachute 2018 is good light and comfortable.And have gopro mount included (removable).

I went for the double stripe. But I fancy ordering another kit in a different colour so that I can have two colours at once :)

The very front section on yours that doubles back, I had to cut that bit off, which is why it looks a little different. Amazing how that stuff lights up though!

helmet lights (3).jpg

On 1/27/2020 at 2:29 AM, Retrovertigo said:

I went for the double stripe. But I fancy ordering another kit in a different colour so that I can have two colours at once :)

The very front section on yours that doubles back, I had to cut that bit off, which is why it looks a little different. Amazing how that stuff lights up though!

helmet lights (3).jpg

Link?

11 minutes ago, tinkle pit said:

Possibly Odd Question: Will the trolley handle on the Kingsong 18XL pass through one of the wider full-face helmet visor holes? Would be nice to be able to have the handle do double duty as a helmet rack while I'm doing the shopping.

Well, I have a 4 xl full-face helmet, and it doesn't fit through either the visor hole or the head hole:) I use this flip up helmet for shopping: https://www.shropshiremotorcycles.co.uk/product-page/tuzo-flip-up-cycle-helmet and I don't really care that I look like an idiot wearing a helmet indoors. My routine for taking on a helmet is so strong that I've managed to walk the dogs with the helmet on a few times:)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 10:47 PM, Retrovertigo said:

I'm going to be throwing down my money on one of these puppies when it launches this year. I already own a Livall smart cycle helmet, and while expensive, I think it was worth it. It has Bluetooth built in, indicators, rear light, and also a crash sensor that hooks into your mobile phone and will send a message plus GPS co-ordinates to a designated number should you have an accident.

This motorcycle helmet builds on that, and also features a head up display with your speed, heart rate!? and gps map....which for riding a unicycle will be fantastic :) Plus for you nutters happy to risk losing your jaw/nose ;) It converts into an open-faced helmet. But I suspect the biggest drawback will be the price! 

edit: oh yeah, and a built in 4K camera!

which helmet doyou own. there's so many models

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, FTW said:

.... I noticed that Amazon Warehouse has a couple of matte black ones in L size for US$142 (a huge discount over the new price of $269)....

That's a great price.  I paid $175 for a medium, Hyper Silver, from Twisted Throttle.

Bruce

On 1/21/2020 at 7:47 PM, Retrovertigo said:

I'm going to be throwing down my money on one of these puppies when it launches this year. I already own a Livall smart cycle helmet,....

Interesting helmet.  Wonder how expensive it's going to be.  Chin bar may be questionable but better then no chin bar.

I also have Livall's smart bicycle helmet.

Bruce

1 hour ago, PennBruce said:

That's a great price.  I paid $175 for a medium, Hyper Silver, from Twisted Throttle.

Bruce

Thanks for the heads up Bruce. That's a great price for a new one, and since I'm a bit worried that the Large I ordered might be a little too tight for my big noggin, I may end up having to order an XL from Twisted Throttle (no deals for that size on Amazon Warehouse). 

53 minutes ago, FTW said:

.... I'm a bit worried that the Large I ordered might be a little too tight for my big noggin,....

As you probably already know helmets take a while to wear in.  I had a Nolin that took a month before it was comfortable on me.

Bruce

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FTW said:

While looking at reviews and prices for the ScorpioEXO AT950 flip-up motorcycle helmet that @Marty Backe wears (thanks Marty for the comprehensive list of your equipment with links on your website!), I noticed that Amazon Warehouse has a couple of matte black ones in L size for US$142 (a huge discount over the new price of $269) that are listed in 'Very Good' condition and with the following description: "Item shows minimal signs of wear, consistent with being tried on but not used." While I understand that buying something that has already been tried on may be a bit risky in the middle of a pandemic, judging from the videos I've seen posted by this community, you don't strike me as a risk adverse crowd. 😁 

I went ahead and bought one, but there is still at least one left at the $142 price, and I figured someone here in the community might want to snag it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GV06AGA

Here are two review videos of this helmet that helped convince me that this was a good first helmet for me (even though they are both geared toward motorcyclists):

That's a great price. I still love mine after using it for over a year now. It may feel a bit on the heavy side initially but that'll disappear after you've been using it for awhile.