Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

2 hours ago, Eucner said:

This is good. It might not fit into all tight places. https://www.nord-lock.com/nord-lock/products/washers/

These are great. I was about to drop the same comment. Possibly overkill for an euc when you could use the purple low strength loc tite 222 and be fine.

I use Nord Locks on my Ultralight. It seems like all the weird personal transport vehicles merge together in communities. One wheels, EUC, and Ultralight aircrafts work really well together. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fbhb said:

This is the method I used during the S18 Full strip down/suspension overhaul to loosen the abundant amount of Loctite King Song notoriously used with the suspension linkages of the S18.

Wow, you spent serious effort in your S18. Nice work.

Interesting that Kingsong had fabricated an enclosed fender for the S18, but not for the S22, even though the former has a closed slider system, the the latter has a open slider system. 

Just checking: the front rubber thingies on the S22 suspension are not doing anything, correct? Since both front suspension channels are simply open at the top, with only the trolley handle above.

The rear however seem like it would hit this arch that looks pretty strong, I guess for this purpose.

jPL_Ec-LZurLfhssCGvRBXPXxr7VpNHtTty6ElYn

Then why are the rubber thingies on the front rails as well? Is it in an attempt to clean up dirt before the slider blocks would grind on it?
Is it to avoid an imbalance by having as much friction on the front and rear sliders?

Or can these simply be removed to reduce by half the friction these rubber thingies introduce in the system?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Just checking: the front rubber thingies on the S22 suspension are not doing anything, correct? Since both front suspension channels are simply open at the top, with only the trolley handle above.

The rear however seem like it would hit this arch that looks pretty strong, I guess for this purpose.

jPL_Ec-LZurLfhssCGvRBXPXxr7VpNHtTty6ElYn

Then why are the rubber thingies on the front rails as well? Is it in an attempt to clean up dirt before the slider blocks would grind on it?
Is it to avoid an imbalance by having as much friction on the front and rear sliders?

Or can these simply be removed to reduce by half the friction these rubber thingies introduce in the system?

They are there to clean dirt nothing else.

But if removing them should replace with dirt ingress protectors.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have nothing to back this up, but I think having rebound damping would help reduce/prevent death wobbles. Or rather, that they might be exacerbated if there is no rebound damping on a suspension wheel.

2 minutes ago, dycus said:

I have nothing to back this up, but I think having rebound damping would help reduce/prevent death wobbles. Or rather, that they might be exacerbated if there is no rebound damping on a suspension wheel.

I managed to stay on during the most violent wobble I've yet seen on my MSX-100V.  I was going 30 mph seated and stood into a crouch when the wobble began.  I instinctive slowed to about 20 mph but it was still hitting my theighs with the seat (6" bruises).  At that point I knew that I could stand into it with right leg plant and left leg out while going left away from the curb. 

The big ah-ha I got from it was a speed vs stance issue.  Like a stance with both feet away from the wheel is great for tight maneuvering at slow speed.  But going fast its important to have a leg-side damper to wobbles at all times.  That makes the tilt-hip steering not work so well over 30mph.  That's where the "ass" steering really becomes important.  Funny after figuring that out I used it this weekend on the A1 riding at Spiedie Fest.    Here's that vid (add something coloful to the thread.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

I managed to remove 3 our of 4 on my working S22 from Alien Rides.  The dead S22 from eWheels has them gone and slides easiest because it was never greased (just 3 in 1 oiled).  eWheels said they have a couple containers going through customs with 40T cells to trade for the dead one.  

Anyway, I don't see a need for them at all.  The only add friction and the shock itself has a bottom-out grommet on it.  The one time I did bottom out the fender got stuck on the right side high up in the channel... snapped back when I stopped and wiggled it.

You're right, I misunderstood earlier.
I removed the shock just earlier to replace the spring tomorrow (750 lbs down to 550 lbs) and when the suspension is fully compressed, these rubber thingies are still in the rails and don't do anything else than blocking & collecting some of the dirt while adding tons of friction.

Mine will be gone too for sure!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

First of all, this thing is wide like riding a full-sized hog. It’s mental how wide it is.

When I first got on it, I thought it was crazy wide. I know some peopie won't mind, but there will be many complaints to be sure. 

21 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

It doesn’t do much at all on small bumps, and only seems to activate on larger bumps like curbs etc. This made the behavior jarring and a bit erratic. I weigh 108kg, so I know the spring wasn’t too tight for me. We also adjusted the shock to the softest with fastest rebound, but just like with the S18, the shock action is hindered by external friction so the shock adjustments don’t do much.

Thank you for the confirmation that stiction in the sliders is high. There are those that claim the sliders are fine, but goes to great lengths to reduce stiction and foreign debris ingress. Action speaks louder than words.

Too bad you were not able to test low speed  acceleration. 

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I can’t see how. I don’t think there’s any up-down movement worth mentioning during wobbles.

My thinking is that the wheel quickly wobbles side-to-side while the rider's mass stays relatively centered and unmoving. So the suspension compresses when the wheel goes under the rider, and decompresses as it goes left or right. This seems like it would contribute to instability. With rebound damping, the spring wouldn't decompress quickly enough to put more energy into the wobbling.

Like I said, just speculating, no evidence to back it up.

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I didn’t accelerate hard since I was so uncomfortable on the S22, but overall the acceleration response felt like a Sherman. This is a very big wheel that can be modified to be a very comfy cruiser. It’s size and sense of weight makes me think that it wouldn’t work well on technical off-road.

Just like Sherman or Sherman Max this wheel works just fine on technical off-road, weight is something you get used to after a while and it feels like any other wheel in that regard, I think you were just out of your comfort zone that's all.

To me coming from Sherman Max S22 feels like a very playful wheel I can do lots of fun technical things on it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, techyiam said:

Too bad you were not able to test low speed  acceleration. 

I only accelerated as fast as I usually do, which is not much by today’s standards. Accelerating fast is a lighter riders’ hobby. For regular semi-cool accelerations the power delivery was fine.

1 hour ago, dycus said:

My thinking is that the wheel quickly wobbles side-to-side

This is only my suspicion, but I don’t think there is as much of a tilt element (roll left-right) to a wobble as there is a vibration through the yaw axis. Nearing the end of a death wobble the pedals do seem to go up and down some, but if suspension played a role here, I think we should see a difference in wobbles between suspension and non-suspension wheels. I have wobbled on both.

19 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Just like Sherman or Sherman Max this wheel works just fine on technical off-road

I’m probably thinking even lower speed and even more technical aspects than you. The kinds that even the V11 is a bit big for. Sub walking speed, trials style.

weight is something you get used to after a while and it feels like any other wheel in that regard, I think you were just out of your comfort zone that's all.

The test ride was short, so absolutely I was out of my comfort zone. Every aspect of the test was done in reference to my V11 and to how I see the V11 compared to all the other wheels I’ve tried. You can get used to every single aspect of any EUC, but that doesn’t make it a good or a suitable feature. You know, people get used to even an abusing partner.

None of that diminishes the unique S22 features though. No matter how well you get used to the S22, it’s still much wider than any other wheel I’ve ridden, and it’s still much slower and lazier to react to tiny steering and acceleration/braking commands compared to the RS/V11 size class of wheels. Or even the Sherman. Yes you can use it for sub-walking speed technical trials-style riding, but it definitely does not excel. For cruising at more uniform speeds though, it does excel as long as you do get used to the unique width.

To me coming from Sherman Max S22 feels like a very playful wheel I can do lots of fun technical things on it.

No doubt. One can have very different reference points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I’m probably thinking even lower speed and even more technical aspects than you. The kinds that even the V11 is a bit big for. Sub walking speed, trials style.

That's what we do around here in Stockholm, perhaps you have seen videos from @Mike Sacristan (isthereanyfood) when he/we play around in the forests on rocks and roots.

The other day 3 of us was out in pitch black forest at night on that kind of terrain, S22, 16x and Sherman Max and had a hell of a fun time.

I'm not saying heavy wheel is as nimble as light wheel but it's not impossible or even bad to do those things on a heavy wheel, (enough) torque is more important.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 8:05 AM, Forwardnbak said:

8244AE06-9F86-4A58-AD0F-09D5034ABEF2.jpeg

Do you have the Grizzla "BIG" or regular size pads? 

Looking forward to your first impressions!

Update: @NErider pointed out that the "BIG" pads have the quick release button to remove/replace the toe.

Edited by litewave

19 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I agree. Worked for me on my S18 rebuild. I  made a stand to hold the iron in place as the Loctite softening process takes some time. 

I would call that a soldering pencil. But it is good to know that is all it took. People usually use a much more powerful soldering iron.

• Like 1