Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

this is so typical living on a ranch with a delivery point a half a mile away. ups dropping off a tire at 9 something pm. and leaving where anybody could grab it.

so i gingerly ride my s22 pro with its wonderful city grip 2 tire crunching thru leaves and blow down. it was alot. but the s22 inspires confidence on one of these retrieval missions esp without much gear on.

nice thing about carrying a tire, u don't worry about damaging it if u crash or need to toss it. another 90/90 r 14 city grip 2. i'm stocking up on tires because they are increasingly hard to get. 

2C7DC632-8C87-45BB-8F1C-A7AC1E9452E3.jpeg.8fa1a9c49d8c7928fc29e1bc1a31e657.jpeg

ya, i'm good on tires and a cat for awhile.

3077232A-F51E-414B-BC27-ED42D7FD2D0E.thumb.jpeg.30657ec3250fefcdf68cb44fabda6263.jpeg

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

this is so typical living on a ranch with a delivery point a half a mile away. ups dropping off a tire at 9 something pm. and leaving where anybody could grab it.

so i gingerly ride my s22 pro with its wonderful city grip 2 tire crunching thru leaves and blow down. it was alot. but the s22 inspires confidence on one of these retrieval missions esp without much gear on.

nice thing about carrying a tire, u don't worry about damaging it if u crash or need to toss it. another 90/90 r 14 city grip 2. i'm stocking up on tires because they are increasingly hard to get. 

2C7DC632-8C87-45BB-8F1C-A7AC1E9452E3.jpeg.8fa1a9c49d8c7928fc29e1bc1a31e657.jpeg

ya, i'm good on tires and a cat for awhile.

3077232A-F51E-414B-BC27-ED42D7FD2D0E.thumb.jpeg.30657ec3250fefcdf68cb44fabda6263.jpeg

How much you paying?

Hi all, debating if I should pick up an S22 Pro and had a few questions: what is the real world weight of the S22? I've seen some numbers saying it's around 75-77lbs and some saying it's 80-82lbs. I have to carry my wheel up two flights of stairs into my apartment so wheel weight matters a lot for me. My second question is, does anyone have any real world numbers to compare the range of the 50LT vs the 40t S22 Pros? I'd assume the 40t would get about 5-10 miles less range overall, so if the 40t cells can get a consistent 40 miles of range that would be perfectly fine with me. Thanks!

1 minute ago, oybee said:

Hi all, debating if I should pick up an S22 Pro and had a few questions: what is the real world weight of the S22? I've seen some numbers saying it's around 75-77lbs and some saying it's 80-82lbs. I have to carry my wheel up two flights of stairs into my apartment so wheel weight matters a lot for me. My second question is, does anyone have any real world numbers to compare the range of the 50LT vs the 40t S22 Pros? I'd assume the 40t would get about 5-10 miles less range overall, so if the 40t cells can get a consistent 40 miles of range that would be perfectly fine with me. Thanks!

My wheel with pads, seat, etc is 37kg (81.5lb), it's an easy wheel to carry comparatively speaking, easier than my Lynx and Sherman S, one hand on bumper one hand on suspension linkage.

I don't know about 40T but if I ride as I want (semi-aggressive) with the 50LT I get about ~75km range (46.5 miles).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, oybee said:

I have to carry my wheel up two flights of stairs into my apartment so wheel weight matters a lot for me.

I don't know how your stairs are like, but for me, I find my S22 with the stock tire pushes up stairs the easiest, compared to my other wheels.

4 hours ago, oybee said:

40t gonna get you 20-35mi depending on your speed, I'm usually 25-30mph and get 30 or so miles.

5 hours ago, Rawnei said:

My wheel with pads, seat, etc is 37kg (81.5lb), it's an easy wheel to carry comparatively speaking, easier than my Lynx and Sherman S, one hand on bumper one hand on suspension linkage.

Hmm not awful honestly, I have a T4 right now which is 75-79lbs depending on my pad and pedal setup but I find it somewhat clunky to carry so I don't know that the S22 is going to be too much better for me 😅

1 hour ago, Crab said:

40t gonna get you 20-35mi depending on your speed, I'm usually 25-30mph and get 30 or so miles.

Oh wow, quite a bit shorter range on the 40t than I expected, I appreciate your insight! I like that the 40t provides more overhead in terms of power output, maybe it's best I wait see how the supposed 50s version coming out soon performs.

3 hours ago, oybee said:

Oh wow, quite a bit shorter range on the 40t than I expected, I appreciate your insight! I like that the 40t provides more overhead in terms of power output, maybe it's best I wait see how the supposed 50s version coming out soon performs.

50S would be ideal, I doubt the sacrifices for the 40T are worth it - it's low enough capacity that you'll be at a significantly lower voltage than the 5Ah cells for a significant portion of the ride, which amounts to the same penalty in available headroom (mostly at speed). Even if they sag less, they'll be starting from eg. 3.65V instead of 3.8V halfway through the same ride, so you probably end up with negligible benefit, and less range overall.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oybee said:

That is not my experience with the S22 Pro 40T. I ride 25-30mph and am getting 40-50 miles on paved, flat terrain. I weigh 160lbs with gear, and have the Eaker street tire from eWheels inflated to 25psi.

Also, my wheel without the stock seat and stock pads, but with custom upper leg pads, weighs exactly 75lbs on my bathroom scale.

I would not hesitate to recommend the S22Pro with 40T or 50S. It's a great all-around wheel and handles and accelerates well. I have to push it hard, however, to go above 30mph, and I would recommend a bigger wheel if that is your expectation and use case.

• Upvote 1

i love all my wheels but this is the best analogy i can think of. before the hollow metal head woods like big bertha from calloway, everybody had a driver with a wooden head. 

then pros started using big berthas and outdrove everybody.

this is what the lnyx is is the world of wheels. it's that superior. still needs tweaking for me, but not much. mine are 99.97 percent raw earth land vehicles, not ur typical use case.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, litewave said:

That is not my experience with the S22 Pro 40T. I ride 25-30mph and am getting 40-50 miles on paved, flat terrain. I weigh 160lbs with gear, and have the Eaker street tire from eWheels inflated to 25psi.

Also, my wheel without the stock seat and stock pads, but with custom upper leg pads, weighs exactly 75lbs on my bathroom scale.

That is closer to the range I was expecting. If you pumped your tire up to 30-32psi you could probably squeeze out an extra 5 miles haha! I had a 40T A2 and (although obviously vastly different wheels haha) I didn't have any noticeable range difference compared to what people were getting with the 50e versions at the time, so I'd assume this would be similar here with 50LT vs 40T

I don't anticipate ever riding beyond 30-35mph (I currently cruise around 20-25mph on my T4) and don't desire owning wheels heavier than 80lbs so the S22 is an enticing offer. It's either this or the V11Y for me mostly because the V11Y has the same relative specs as my T4 but is 10lbs lighter 🤯

18 hours ago, litewave said:

I would not hesitate to recommend the S22Pro with 40T or 50S. It's a great all-around wheel and handles and accelerates well. I have to push it hard, however, to go above 30mph, and I would recommend a bigger wheel if that is your expectation and use case.

Yea at 160# I'm not surprised you get better mileage, street tire also makes a difference. 

• Like 1

Swapping from the winter tire on my S22 (Pro) today, I have the latest King Song rollers that also have those small side rollers, upon inspection they look to be in great shape despite being ridden all winter here in Sweden with lots of snow and salt, none of the wheels are broken and they are all rolling fine. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

PSA: New behaviour in the S22 after draining the controller of power during wheel maintenance.

So I did a successful tire swap today, I didn't disconnect the motor cables just pull the controller out with the motor.

Afterwards the wheel wouldn't turn on, no beeps, dead display, of course my stress level went up a bit and I started troubleshooting, all wires connected, no pinched wires, measured batteries with multimeter there was power, measured controller with multimeter it had power, everything looked good, so I tried connecting the charger and voila it started charging, display lit up, disconnected charger and wheel turns on as usual.

This is new behaviour, you didn't need to do this before, I guess they patched it in with one of the firmware updates for some reason, I haven't seen anything resembling this in the changelogs or perhaps it was lost in translation?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Afterwards the wheel wouldn't turn on, no beeps, dead display, of course my stress level went up a bit and I started troubleshooting

Oooohhhh. Definitely not what you want.
I'm about to take my wheel apart again to inspect the sliders.
This would have freaked me out!
Thanks for the heads up Rawnei :thumbup:

• Like 1

Does anybody out there have experience replacing cells in a dead battery pack?

One of my friends has an S22 (no pro) with three cells showing red/very low voltage.

Replacing the pack is really expensive so I was thinking of taking it apart just to replace the faulty cells.  I'd need to get a battery 'welder' for the tabs.

36 minutes ago, Julian-NZ said:

Does anybody out there have experience replacing cells in a dead battery pack?

One of my friends has an S22 (no pro) with three cells showing red/very low voltage.

Replacing the pack is really expensive so I was thinking of taking it apart just to replace the faulty cells.  I'd need to get a battery 'welder' for the tabs.

I'm no battery expert but from what I've heard doing that is not a good idea, need to replace all the cells, maybe someone more knowledgeable could clarify.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rawnei said:

PSA: New behaviour in the S22 after draining the controller of power during wheel maintenance.

So I did a successful tire swap today, I didn't disconnect the motor cables just pull the controller out with the motor.

Afterwards the wheel wouldn't turn on, no beeps, dead display, of course my stress level went up a bit and I started troubleshooting, all wires connected, no pinched wires, measured batteries with multimeter there was power, measured controller with multimeter it had power, everything looked good, so I tried connecting the charger and voila it started charging, display lit up, disconnected charger and wheel turns on as usual.

This is new behaviour, you didn't need to do this before, I guess they patched it in with one of the firmware updates for some reason, I haven't seen anything resembling this in the changelogs or perhaps it was lost in translation?

yeah, plugging the chargers in seems to fix the quirks on all wheels. i've had anomalies with every model wheel i've own. including the first v13. i've done it both ways but i prefer undoing the phase wires. one more s22 pro to modify and i'm done with working on them.  

On 3/19/2024 at 4:26 AM, Julian-NZ said:

Replacing the pack will be cheaper than replacing your house. If your insurance company finds out you have been DIY battery packs they will probably find a way of nullifying your cover. Isn't there an ebike manufacturer in Wellington? See if they can do a fix with warranty.

Edited by DavidB

8 hours ago, DavidB said:

Isn't there an ebike manufacturer in Wellington? See if they can do a fix with warranty.

It's just over a year old but only done 500km. Mine was bought at the same time and is approaching 7000km
I'll check to see if there is an e-bike manufacturer on the other island.  Good idea :thumbup:

If the BMS is reliable replacing individual cells should still be OK, but chances are those cells will always be a little different to the rest. If the BMS is good this shouldn't really be a problem, though (not ideal, but hopefully less expensive than 140 new cells/brand new battery)

• Like 1