Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

40 minutes ago, novazeus said:

too bad the rear handle on the s22 smashes ur fingers. 

Never use it, disabled for safety reasons, always lift below the shock. I talked at length with the guy selling, probably going to keep it now. He had a bad crash on it and doesn't know much about it, it's probably set up wrong for his weight or riding style.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Crab said:

Never use it, disabled for safety reasons, always lift below the shock. I talked at length with the guy selling, probably going to keep it now. He had a bad crash on it and doesn't know much about it, it's probably set up wrong for his weight or riding style.

i know, i'm spoiled with the v13's. oh hell yeah it's inactive, i did that before the first ride. gotta lean way down to grab the shock, but that is the correct way. 

haha, i always thought, to save people getting their new model wheels, a tutorial on how to handle them in their hangar. absolutely love everything about the v13, i'm just not man enough yet to maneuver it in the pasture. but u should see me flick around the s22 after getting off the v13's. 

i was just walking with Bob thru my pastures and noticed i have calves that have to go like the second sale in january. so to console me, i probably need a new wheel in jan or feb. i'd rather not work on any wheel, and the s22 is the first wheel i did any major work on, and it took me forever, course i am stoned 24/7 for medical reasons, so ease of working on a wheel goes a longer way with me that can't find the screwdriver in his hand, just sayin'. again, why the redundacy. much easier to learn and become an expert one model of wheel. i mean, i'm sure it's easier than the videos online now, but those leaperkim wheels have lots of screws. i'm sure i can take one apart.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all, when riding I will usually get an error on my S22 EUC display shortly after the battery drops below 50%, that shows an exclamation mark inside a battery outline. The wheel also beeps. My natural response is to slow down and the beeps stop and after a few seconds the display returns to showing speed like normal. I'm usually travelling between 35-45kph max when this occurs. I haven't been able to pinpoint the cause, or immediately replicate the error by accelerating or breaking again, or by increasing speed slowly, even by gently increasing past the speed I was travelling when the error occurred, but I also haven't been too aggressive about trying (for fear of cutting out). Logging in EUC world shows nothing, and nor does the stock Kingsong app unless I'm missing an obvious place to look, or unless I need to have the Kingsong app running and catch the error on screen in real time? The BMS doesn't seem to indicate any balancing issues. The error has triggered under breaking once (didn't think it was anywhere near the limits of an emergency stop or anything), or at a speeds above 30kph but not necessarily under really hard acceleration. I sheepishly just haven't had the confidence to ride in various aggressive ways to force the error.

I have assumed this is some sort of throttling at lower battery but the moment it happens I tend to either be nearing the end of my ride (50km+) or my confidence is lowered so I nurse the wheel home under gentle riding conditions. I can still reach speeds up to 40kph but because I can't recreate the error I tend to ride closer to 30kph until I get home. I don't think I've ever ridden below 40% battery because of this. I've had the wheel since launch, 2500km on the clock and this error has occurred since early on, I just don't often ride for long enough to drop below 50%. I'm on latest firmwares and while I thought the latest firmware had helped, I've had the error since.

I know I should find a safer surface like a grass field and try and force the error until I can determine the specific trigger but wanted to check if others have experienced this or have any ideas before I risk trial and error. When the wheel is over 50% battery I have no issues, but practically every ride within no more than a few % under 50% I'll get the error and it always catches me by suprise as I don't feel I was doing anything hugely aggressive.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Mishkin
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mishkin said:

Hi all, when riding I will usually get an error on my S22 EUC display shortly after the battery drops below 50%, that shows an exclamation mark inside a battery outline. The wheel also beeps. My natural response is to slow down and the beeps stop and after a few seconds the display returns to showing speed like normal. I'm usually travelling between 35-45kph max when this occurs. I haven't been able to pinpoint the cause, or immediately replicate the error by accelerating or breaking again, or by increasing speed slowly, even by gently increasing past the speed I was travelling when the error occurred, but I also haven't been too aggressive about trying (for fear of cutting out). Logging in EUC world shows nothing, and nor does the stock Kingsong app unless I'm missing an obvious place to look, or unless I need to have the Kingsong app running and catch the error on screen in real time? The BMS doesn't seem to indicate any balancing issues. The error has triggered under breaking once (didn't think it was anywhere near the limits of an emergency stop or anything), or at a speeds above 30kph but not necessarily under really hard acceleration. I sheepishly just haven't had the confidence to ride in various aggressive ways to force the error.

I have assumed this is some sort of throttling at lower battery but the moment it happens I tend to either be nearing the end of my ride (50km+) or my confidence is lowered so I nurse the wheel home under gentle riding conditions. I can still reach speeds up to 40kph but because I can't recreate the error I tend to ride closer to 30kph until I get home. I don't think I've ever ridden below 40% battery because of this. I've had the wheel since launch, 2500km on the clock and this error has occurred since early on, I just don't often ride for long enough to drop below 50%. I'm on latest firmwares and while I thought the latest firmware had helped, I've had the error since.

I know I should find a safer surface like a grass field and try and force the error until I can determine the specific trigger but wanted to check if others have experienced this or have any ideas before I risk trial and error. When the wheel is over 50% battery I have no issues, but practically every ride within no more than a few % under 50% I'll get the error and it always catches me by suprise as I don't feel I was doing anything hugely aggressive.

Any thoughts?

As you wrote, open the app and see if it displays any error messages or codes.

3 hours ago, novazeus said:

anybody considering the s22 pro, i found this article to reflect my opinions as well.

It's an article that hits the main points well, good or bad, and still came out sounding balanced.

For those who are not looking for all out motor performance, but a wheel that is comfortable and easy to ride, and puts the rider in control, the S22 Pro should be on your short list.

However, I still think the Patton is a strong competitor, and perhaps a better choice for those who want to focus more on riding, and not be distracted by the need to tinker. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, techyiam said:

Patton is a strong competitor,

i'm curious about the patton as well. it seems that it has more low end torque than the lynx. if i was needing torque for off path pasture technical riding, it's no longer about wheel diameter, it's the ability to slow crawl thru the crap with instant on power. and not necessarily a wide tire. just a tire capable of loading. preferably a michelin street tire if i could find one. 

but having just bought a s22 pro, a real one, the latest version, i can tell u, no tinkering for most riders isn't needed at all. it's solid out of the box.

all i did was move the pedals down and forward. takes an hour maybe. 

put vicious tape on the pedals.

changed the tire to the michelin city grip 2 90/90 14r.

removed the boomerangs and velcro.

checked bolts for adequate tightness.

that stuff is all personal preference stuff. i'm not a fan of the original knobby because of the pronounced center nub fully inflated, but i accidently ground it off and it was a fine ride after that. 

this latest new "pro" version is an entirely new wheel. although, after considerable tinkering, my s22 diy "pro" is very very very close. thanks to corrosion x. great stuff btw. 

i'm not arguing, i mean i just bought one, what tinkering should i do to my s22 pro? 

what do u advise? 

if ur talking about slider maintenance because u run off road, idk, but it is very simple to disassemble and the patton looks like a nightmare from this stoner's pov.

btw, the terrible thing about the patton, it's a tiny wheel that weighs 15 pounds more than my humongous 90/90 r14 tire. 

it really needs to lose some flab as well, and make tire changes easier. 

patton and s22pro isn't really a good comparison, also in my case, compared to patton's price, $700 of good reasons to pick the s22pro over the 15 pound heavier, smaller wheel patton. if i'm going smaller wheel diameter, i don't want a hernia trying to get it thru Bob's doggy door. the s22 pro fits. 

like i've said, i hope people flock to leaperkims and all the other new models, which should keep downward pricing pressure on this third one i want with 50s batteries. 

Edited by novazeus

On 1/10/2024 at 11:36 PM, Mishkin said:

Any thoughts?

i have a first batch s22 and the latest version s22 pro. 

haha, i was also concerned about those "error" messages. but after getting this new one, and it has the same "error" messages, i assume it's king songs way of trying to be helpful. 

like one of the error codes is like, don't ride downhill too much now, or regenerative charging might overcharge ur battery.

and i haven't ridden any of mine down to 50%, but i suspect it's just like a fuel light on ur car's fuel gauge telling u to look for a gas station.

haha, yeah, i know it's weird u gotta buy two of the same model more or less to troubleshoot ur first one. they display the same error msgs.

but the reason i'm in the market for a third, is because after disassembly and close inspection, i can read the mindset of king song. they might not announce it, but every batch they are striving to improve their model. 

i believe inmotion has done the same with the v13. because my last two were perfect out of the box. 

i don't want to tell u not to worry about it and u crash and burn, but haha, my first one was so screwed up, errors, batteries not balanced, not charging 100%, and now i want a third. 

if wtf ks is trying to tell us with their flashing error or message banner, i figure it must not be too important if diagnostic says everything is fine.

i always look them up to be sure.

https://support.euco.us/article/319-kingsong-error-codes

Edited by novazeus

7 hours ago, novazeus said:

'm not arguing, i mean i just bought one, what tinkering should i do to my s22 pro? 

what do u advise? 

if ur talking about slider maintenance because u run off road, idk, but it is very simple to disassemble and the patton looks like a nightmare from this stoner's pov.

You mean the open sliders on your S22/Pro are not requiring you to do maintenance and up-keep more often than your other wheels?

May be for your use case, you are OK. Your are in Florida. 

The wheel bearings and the rollers on the sliders require re-lubrication. I ride a lot in the rain. And in the winter, there is salt also. Although, I don't ride when it is snowy, slushy, and salted.

Also, a number of riders needed their wheel bearings replaced. My wheel bearings went bad too. But I addressed it myself. Apparently, the newest motors have better bearings and steel inserts for stronger support in the bearings hubs.

Moreover, for riders who ride off-road, they may need constant cleaning of the sliders.

Some riders complain about controller failures. My has been fine, but I am not hard on my wheel.

7 hours ago, novazeus said:

i'm curious about the patton as well. it seems that it has more low end torque than the lynx. if i was needing torque for off path pasture technical riding, it's no longer about wheel diameter, it's the ability to slow crawl thru the crap with instant on power

The Patton does feel more immediate and responsive in acceleration off the line. I think, in general, you will find that a 16" wheel is more responsive and agile over an 18" wheel.

Since you already ride the S22/Pro, and V13, I am not certain that difference would be enough to stop you from buying a Lynx over a Patton.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

You mean the open sliders on your S22/Pro are not requiring you to do maintenance and up-keep more often than your other wheels?

May be for your use case, you are OK. Your are in Florida. 

The wheel bearings and the rollers on the sliders require re-lubrication. I ride a lot in the rain. And in the winter, there is salt also. Although, I don't ride when it is snowy, slushy, and salted.

Also, a number of riders needed their wheel bearings replaced. My wheel bearings went bad too. But I addressed it myself. Apparently, the newest motors have better bearings and steel inserts for stronger support in the bearings hubs.

Moreover, for riders who ride off-road, they may need constant cleaning of the sliders.

Some riders complain about controller failures. My has been fine, but I am not hard on my wheel.

The Patton does feel more immediate and responsive in acceleration off the line. I think, in general, you will find that a 16" wheel will be more responsive and agile over an 18" wheel.

Since you already ride the S22/Pro, and V13, I am not certain that difference would be enough to stop you from buying a Lynx over a Patton.

u are correct, my terrain is completely different than most of usa. that's why for urban  transport and multiuse trails down here, the s22 pro and the v13's are great. 

i watched @OMGitsRAAZtry to ride a lynx thru snow. 

what @Marty Backe does with wheels, and other utubers, which, don't get me wrong, i appreciate them abusing these wheels for demonstation, but i'm never gonna treat a tool that could kill me, the way some riders do. just because a manufacturer tries their best to make their product durable, it's not ur job to prove them wrong by breaking it. i have a ex-friend like that. he couldn't find a tool he couldn't break.

idk about cleaning the sliders yet. btw, on that note, king song sending out ball bearing wheels and new apparatus for the slider mechanism after they figured it out, went a long way with me, and after many pasture and pavement miles, and corrosion x on the linkage joints and bearings, it's as smooth as the brand new pro with it's little extra wheels. but ur right, i'm in florida and i go out of my way not to abuse my wheels. oh yeah, my conditions i have to deal with is very fine myaaka sand. that's why i used this graphite spray on my s22 diy pro instead of any vicous lubrication. idk if it made a difference because i did everything at once, but i can't imagine any wheels suspension being better, different maybe, but not better. 

be interesting to see how the fastace shocks hold up for these extreme jumpers. my buddy bent one of his shock forks hitting a fence post out here on his husqvarna and it never got fixed after that. so patience is a virtue, def in purchasing eucs. 

i don't ride in the rain, according to the manual, i shouldn't, nor will i. not this electronic device i know is prone to have disastrous effects exposed to water.

but not everybody in america needs knobbies or a wheel that can go 70mph. or one u can run into a wall. it's like laptops. they used to make these rugged laptops for construction workers, still do probably, idk with smartphones. they weren't better computers, just more rugged. why does a nyc rider need a lynx? 

yeah, in ur use case, riding in rain with salt on the roads, ur screwed with anything with ballbearings. i can tell u that after years of long distance inline skating. talk about bearing maintenance. 

fortunately, the ball bearings don't do much rotating in the rails. they do make bearings that are more resistant to water and salt, but idk if they make them with nylon surrounds.

haha, honestly, i'd never ride a wheel in ur conditions, and i'd never ride one of ur wheels if u offered. i like to know how the wheel has been abused before i trust my life with it. i don't trust dealers either after my first v13 purchase. i wanted to, but the proof is in the pudding.

if u insist on abusing ur wheel, u might try the extra sticky corrosion x over ur ball bearing sliders. it will pick up more dirt but the bearings won't seize from the salt. i see people riding in the ocean. i'm not doing that with my wheels, and then saying king song has a maintenance problem. 

btw, if there are easier wheels to work on, pls let me know, i'm all about ease of disassembly.

i'll buy factory fresh and disassemble as necessary. 

fyi from the king song s22 pro user manual:

"Do not ride in the snow, in the rain, or on roads which are wet, muddy, icy, or that are slippery for any reason. Do not ride over obstacles (sand, loose gravel, or sticks). Doing so could result in a loss of balance or traction and could cause a fall."

haha, as i ice my knee, winning in wheels, is not getting hurt. have fun, but injuries aren't.

this might help with ur salt and rain.

https://www.corrosionx.com/products/corrosionx-heavy-duty

haha, i even bag all my wheels at night because i know for a fact, that the heatsinks on these wheels are perfect for collecting condensation and then depositing the moisture on the electronics at the rear if sitting on the kickstands designed by the manufacturers. i'm sure the others are the same. but i don't blame king song or inmotion for my inabilty to keep my wheels in a perfectly climatically controlled storage area, i don't have that for me out here, so until i finish designing my vertical stand, i have to bag my wheels. i think bagging, drying, dessicant etc, is important if u have to ride in wet conditions with salt. i'll always bag my wheels inside or out or else my cat will make a scratching post out of them.

take care of ur stuff and it might take care of u. 

or best yet, after checking the weather report, and i might be just a little biased, move down here to tampa and not have to deal with salt on the roads. tampa right now is the best place on this planet to live overall. i don't have to encourage anybody because they are coming in droves. i hear them 24/7 on the interstate.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

i'm in florida and i go out of my way not to abuse my wheels. oh yeah, my conditions i have to deal with is very fine myaaka sand. that's why i used this graphite spray on my s22 diy pro instead of any vicous lubrication. idk if it made a difference because i did everything at once, but i can't imagine any wheels suspension being better, different maybe, but not better. 

From my own experience, albeit limited, and from others, the consensus is that the Veteran's hydraulic suspension is better, assuming the use-case doesn't bottom-out the suspension.

You should try out a Patton, or a Lynx, there is a very high probability you will like it. Their suspension action is butter smooth, and is peerless at the moment.

btw, if there are easier wheels to work on, pls let me know, i'm all about ease of disassembly.

I would say the Abrams is very easy to work on, but then it doesn't have a suspension.

However, many people say the Master is very easy to work on.

For myself, I am happy already as to how easy the S22 is to work on. It is pretty good.

"Do not ride in the snow, in the rain, or on roads which are wet, muddy, icy, or that are slippery for any reason. Do not ride over obstacles (sand, loose gravel, or sticks). Doing so could result in a loss of balance or traction and could cause a fall."

All the user guides that came with my wheels say that. If they meant it, they wouldn't have built the Extreme, Patton, nor the V14, and for Inmotion to have IP ratings.

They also say the safe top speed is 25 km/h.

haha, i even bag all my wheels at night because i know for a fact, that the heatsinks on these wheels are perfect for collecting condensation and then depositing the moisture on the electronics at the rear if sitting on the kickstands designed by the manufacturers. i'm sure the others are the same. but i don't blame king song or inmotion for my inabilty to keep my wheels in a perfectly climatically controlled storage area, i don't have that for me out here, so until i finish designing my vertical stand, i have to bag my wheels. i think bagging, drying, dessicant etc, is important if u have to ride in wet conditions with salt. i'll always bag my wheels inside or out or else my cat will make a scratching post out of them.

The Abrams controller housing is sealed super well. After 8000 km's, the controller board and everything else in the housing is brand new mint. It is completely clean, and devoid of any foreign matter that could have ingressed otherwise. There is absolutely no evidence of corrosion. It looks brand new. And I don't bag any of my wheels.

I suppose like those who don't ride in the rain, they can buy Begode wheels, and never have to worry about water ingress.

But there are manufacturers who build their wheels with IP-rating like Inmotion. So riders do have a choice when it is time to buy a new wheel.

Edited by techyiam

41 minutes ago, techyiam said:

And I don't bag any of my wheels.

do u store ur wheels outside in high humidity, or do u tuck them in with u in ur cozy warm house. i only HAVE to bag, in the winter, storing outside, although i still think keeping ur electronics dry is a prudent idea. 

i don't ride down my road after it rains. two reasons, could be a limb laying across it, and i don't want all that moisture up in the wheel.

look. haha, i'm terrible about maintenance, except on stuff that can easily kill me. do u think marty is some rank beginner breaking his leg? i have to work on tractors, backhoes or other crap out here, because it's too expensive to have it hauled in, and the backhoe mechanics screwed around with it for 3 weeks and couldn't fix it. took me 24 hours and that was to get a part. btw, i'd never buy another backhoe, waaay too complicated.  but maintenance on a wheel or a street motorcycle, i don't trust anybody anymore. 

inmotion has the highest water ingress ratings out there, yet my first v13 had problems from condensation dripping off the heatsink.

not dreaming this:

99556F29-2C3B-45B9-B00D-5CC2D687D87E.thumb.png.5b27e92330ea8d7f26c0ed417e25050a.png

C7CDC376-D501-4470-A20D-3659D0670392.thumb.png.07d2b1fb98c2460f54904f57f314e3ca.png

Edited by novazeus

2 minutes ago, novazeus said:

do u store ur wheels outside in high humidity, or do u tuck them in with u in ur cozy warm house. i only HAVE to bag, in the winter, storing outside, although i still think keeping ur electronics dry is a prudent idea. 

I see. I do store my wheels indoors. And I have not experienced condensation problems with electronics with my wheels. But I have lots of condensation problems with things made of ferrous metal, and electrical connectors in the same indoor location.

You are not wrong though. If you are facing condensation problems of electronics, it is definitely prudent to prevent it, since:

(1) corrosion can take place

(2) shorting

(3) compromise electrical contact in connectors.

10 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i don't ride down my road after it rains. two reasons, could be a limb laying across it, and i don't want all that moisture up in the wheel.

If you do that, your wheel will stay in a nicer condition.

12 minutes ago, novazeus said:

inmotion has the highest water ingress ratings out there, yet my first v13 had problems from condensation dripping off the heatsink.

Wait a minute. Condensation from moist air is not same as water ingress. IP-rating doesn't include condensation protection.

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

Wait a minute. Condensation from moist air is not same as water ingress. IP-rating doesn't include condensation protection.

read carefully.

warm moist air hits the cold heatsink and condenses, ie becomes water now!

then, as the day warms, while whatever frigging wheel u got is sitting back on it's kickstand, that WATER, now drips, drips, drips onto that electronic panel at the rear of whatever wheel u got!

so, if u want proof, take u wheel outside and spray water on those rear control boards. 

i know for a fact that is what caused these errors on my first v13. i was able to get it going again by hooking up the charger. two days in a row. so, yeah, i'm sure. inmotion knows about this. 

say u went to the ocean for a weekend, and u kept ur wheel in ur friends garage, and it got cold at night, now u have salt water drip, drip, drip on that rear board. 

for storage purposes, in reality, the perfect stand would be vertical and not resting on the tire. i'm working on it. the kickstand sb for temporary use only. ideally. in humid conditions. 

here i am bad mouthing my po little s22's and they don't have this problem because no electronics to drip in to.

3D07248D-22CE-4D5B-8BCC-D3C39CEF88D9.thumb.jpeg.03066e8de1e4473e19dfde0d021fa8a2.jpeg

first v13 had the problem

C827A951-ED87-424C-8752-5BB4244D8724.png.107070f54464758a777bbe8a823ffc23.png

second v13 a little different, np.

8E144157-65F3-4C7C-870A-83A31D132AB8.png.52da75788501642568d5da241c2aa055.png

Edited by novazeus

6 hours ago, Rawnei said:

In the second video they make a point of showing it with a 94kg rider, if the rider in the first video is around 60-70kg (which we don't know) it's a significant difference in power requirement.

The S22 Pro motor is strong but this type of video comparison doesn't really say much.

i agree that this comparison or any hill climbing videos doesn't "prove" anything. if jack was trying to do a comparison video highlighting the v14's hill climbing ability, he failed. for whatever reason, it's pretty obvious that they are on the same incline.

the s22 rider might be a better rider, idk, but my personal takeaway from these videos is if that s22 rider can do that on a s22 pro, then mine sb able to handle my little florida hills. 

rider weight does make a difference, as does tire diameter. i would have thought the smaller diameter motor would have had an easier time. 

idk the background of these two videos. what exacrly was the point? what's the point of all these embankment climbing videos? is that a thing now?

Just now, novazeus said:

i agree that this comparison or any hill climbing videos doesn't "prove" anything. if jack was trying to do a comparison video highlighting the v14's hill climbing ability, he failed. for whatever reason, it's pretty obvious that they are on the same incline.

the s22 rider might be a better rider, idk, but my personal takeaway from these videos is if that s22 rider can do that on a s22 pro, then mine sb able to handle my little florida hills. 

rider weight does make a difference, as does tire diameter. i would have thought the smaller diameter motor would have had an easier time. 

idk the background of these two videos. what exacrly was the point? what's the point of all these embankment climbing videos? is that a thing now?

I don't think that the V14 video is for comparison, it's just to show that it could handle a heavy rider up that hill which would be relevant knowledge for a heavy rider. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yeah, not knowing all the background, rider weights and all, to the casual utube viewer, the s22 does appear stronger, and that was a 5-2022 video, so it wasn't even a pro motor. 

either way, i just happen to notice they were on the same incline, and if that rider can do that with 3300 watt motor, i should have tons to spare in florida with my 4000watt motors. 

47 minutes ago, novazeus said:

either way, i just happen to notice they were on the same incline, and if that rider can do that with 3300 watt motor, i should have tons to spare in florida with my 4000watt motors. 

What matters is changes in magnets or wind. Nominal wattage number itself won’t change how it goes up.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, novazeus said:

yeah, not knowing all the background, rider weights and all, to the casual utube viewer, the s22 does appear stronger, and that was a 5-2022 video, so it wasn't even a pro motor. 

3.300 wats motor have enough power for these kind of inclines, but it gets too hot and have to stop frequently to cool down. And my weight is only 66kg....

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

New S22 firmware came out.

Thanks for the notification.

You wouldn't happen to have updated yours yet? If yes, did you notice any difference?

Edited by techyiam