Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

7 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Thanks for the notification.

You wouldn't happen to have updated yours yet? If yes, did you notice any difference?

No I prefer not to be a beta tester, let me know how it goes. 😁

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

No I prefer not to be a beta tester, let me know how it goes. 😁

Awwww.

I see.

You did your part by buying a first batch Lynx.

It won't be fair to others if you take all the glory. :)

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Awwww.

I see.

You did your part by buying a first batch Lynx.

It won't be fair to others if you take all the glory. :)

I found out it's more like batch 2 or 3. 🥳

here ya go. 

i should have done one and compared to the other but the 90 from the 80 tire makes the wheel so different to me, or could be my still swollen knee.

C5C81933-EF64-4756-84B8-1DF16BD07D72.thumb.png.9666d388b0ea52c73778749d22fb873b.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, novazeus said:

...i should have done one and compared to the other but the 90 from the 80 tire makes the wheel so different to me, or could be my still swollen knee. ...

Would like to hear some details about this comparison .... Thanks!

• Like 1

I updated my Kingsong S22 from V 2.35 to V2.36. This firmware is for the controller. There isn't a new firmware update for the BMS at this time.

I flashed it using my OnePlus 7T. The procedure was straightforward to perform, and went smoothly. I didn't time how long it took to perform the update. But it felt like 15 to 20 minutes. 

Once the firmware update has been completed, the S22 was turned off immediately. And the Kingsong app loses Bluetooth connection with the wheel.

I won"t be riding my S22 for a few days until the rain washes away the heavy salting of the road for the past week.

I just rolled it forwards and backwards, so nothing really to report. I didn't noticed anything odd yet.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, litewave said:

Would like to hear some details about this comparison .... Thanks!

i just rode the 90 tire one. very gingerly. i did figure out something very important about motorcycle tires going forward. thank God, i didn't die.

idk about the software. it worked.

but here's the big news about these very unique demands of these one tire devices.

haha, we come from the age of severly overloaded tires where contact patch wasn't ever an issue, sidewall deflection and wobbles, especially after the sidewalls heat up, and the extra force on the tire on downhill braking, my theory at least.

anyway, haha, thankfully what i figure out about euc tires in general, contact patch and shape, is a huge part of our stability. why some might find problems inflating say a 319 max pressure tire on a 75 pound s22. esp if they only weigh say 125 pounds. 

on pavement the contact patch becomes more like a quarter, more perfectly round, like the head of a top. so when turning, or just the slightest wind can spin u and make ur heart nearly stop, as i found out on my test drive of this 441 max cap michelin city grip 2 at 46psi cold. haha, i didn't die so u don't have to. i mean, i know this. this higher pressure in my 80 size michelins is what makes them fun.  they are rated for 375 pounds. 

so idk what exactly the correlation between lowering pressure and lowering tire capacity, but my big 90 tires can go down alot i'm sure. for my use, which will be primarily pasture, these wider tires, think golf cart tires, deflated to low pressures for the pastures and slow rides on pavement sb perfect. 

my girls. i'm done for awhile.

2701AA6D-D375-4732-A712-D96B24E3E2A7.jpeg.5de8174895b886694c1894b6dd2b4fa3.jpeg

B721B352-355D-477E-8791-D8311F63DF8E.jpeg.af7915a80424267ff218f2485c43fd8a.jpeg

this article is about car tires but i think it has some applicable info for us.

https://isdacenter.org/tire-pressure/

• Like 1

i love watching the older videos. 

best way i can describe the 90 size michelin inflated to max pressure and loading, is it's a perfect tire for ww's spinaroo trick whether ur ready or not. like wind could spin u like a top.

I wonder if the newest update's power increase is compatible with an earlier batch motor? I have two paths to go here. Either sell my S18 and S22 and buy a Lynx or swap out my S22 to the newest motor and refine my pad setup. 

I have a gen 1 S22 and have been adding all the Pro type mods except for the motor so far. It can still outperform my skill and risk tolerance,  but like anyone with any EUC, I'm always looking at the newest thing and don't want to be left behind. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NErider said:

I wonder if the newest update's power increase is compatible with an earlier batch motor? I have two paths to go here. Either sell my S18 and S22 and buy a Lynx or swap out my S22 to the newest motor and refine my pad setup. 

I have a gen 1 S22 and have been adding all the Pro type mods except for the motor so far.

I have an S22 with a ZX motor with the latest firmware updates.

I am happy with my motor performance for around town use. I am happy with the acceleration and braking. Since firmware V 2.35 and now V 2.36, motor power has been good for me. And the pedal mode I prefer to use is "experimental" (hard mode).

I have ridden an original S22 without firmware updates. The acceleration on that thing is totally gutless.

I have ridden a S22 Pro at a shop. I thought the off-the-line acceleration was similar to my S22 in its current state.

Edited by techyiam

7 hours ago, novazeus said:

<snip> ... on pavement the contact patch becomes more like a quarter, more perfectly round, like the head of a top. so when turning, or just the slightest wind can spin u and make ur heart nearly stop, as i found out on my test drive of this 441 max cap michelin city grip 2 at 46psi cold. haha, i didn't die so u don't have to. i mean, i know this. this higher pressure in my 80 size michelins is what makes them fun.  they are rated for 375 pounds. 

so idk what exactly the correlation between lowering pressure and lowering tire capacity, but my big 90 tires can go down alot i'm sure. for my use, which will be primarily pasture, these wider tires, think golf cart tires, deflated to low pressures for the pastures and slow rides on pavement sb perfect. ...</snip>

Thanks. I overinflate my tires only when I need maximum range and lowest rolling resistance. I keep my stock S22P Eakia tire (eWheel's street tire option discussed in prior post) in the 25-32psi range. Since it's a tube tire, that's safer to do than with a tubeless setup. I have over 1200 km on it and am overall very satisfied. Are you running the Michelin with or without a tube? Not sure you mentioned it previously.

I'll eventually swap the stock tire for the Pirelli Angel 80 and, later, the Michelin City Grip 2 90. Wish I had an extra S22P lying around for concurrent evaluation.

Edited by litewave

i like that the s22 and v13 can take a 90 size michelin street tire, now that i figured out how to best use them. 

and i haven't even started dialing in the suspension. i sb able to ride my pastures and sip champagne. 

i'm trying to get this effect y lowering the tire pressure down on these heavy carcass motorcycle tires. this is the best for my mowed pasture paths.

F7DC3ADD-9889-4B74-BEF0-4B93A09B93B1.png.685d5a930e3ecf9982db9be1d1d91c2f.png

Edited by novazeus

yeah, everything tubeless.

here's my formula i invented based on motorcycle tire info.

i figure my riding weight at 200, s22 at 75 pounds. to calculate total load braking, 275 x 1.2= 330 total loading. the stock tire at max pressure is 319. the michelin pilot street 2 is 375 at 45psi. so if i lowered the psi ten percent to 40.5, the load carrying if corresponding perecentage wise accordingly would drop to .9 x 375= 337.5 loading or more than i need. 

but omg, the 90 is 441 loading, so i could take it down to 34psi on pavement, which is where it was at today. hopefully my knee is ok tmrw because the weather sb nice and i want to burn in this new wheel and tire. 

less than 18 miles. haha, see what i mean by gingerly ride. no ptotection and windy. 

A367E5B5-E722-4525-8409-415E8E0B85E6.png.f1f4d4865137cef4594248424cca9697.png

Edited by novazeus
  • Thanks 1

dynamic load vs static load. in construction all the time. 

so u have been riding all day off road on deflated tires, which is proper, but u don't inflate to pavement pressure before ur ride home. so ur sidewalls heat up at hwy speeds, u approach a stop sign at the end of a hill, and u apply brakes. the tire has to support u, the wheel, and the extra braking load going downhill. on motorcycles, as we all know, the front tire has most of the braking force, and momentarily during braking, alot more loading than just half the weight of the motorcycle. 

like having a fat girl on the back of ur harley. 

let me acclimate to this monster tire a bit. it's at 35 psi and it won't sidewall deflect wobble at this pressure and sb plush. it's like adding an extra shock absorber. haha, carving won't be an issue. i'm deflating it to slow the carving. it's like a spinning top.

Edited by novazeus

1 hour ago, Julian-NZ said:

Just been for a ride on the local MTB tracks. They're tight, steep and rocky.  The new firmware appears to be working well.  It was a very hot/sweaty ride today.

The 'upgrade' process was just as @techyiam described. 

EUC Roll.PNG

Hey Julian,

Do all the red plastic parts on your S22 color-match irl? Did you 3D-print the pads, as well as all the other parts? Which filament? They sort of look like Kinetics but are different. Have you uploaded them to any repo?

Low tire pressures affect braking distances and provide less responsive steering and handling. This can be especially dangerous when an emergency stop or sudden evasive maneuver is needed to avoid a collision. In addition, low pressures allow tire sidewalls to flex excessively, which generates heat.

https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/articles/the-importance-of-proper-tire-inflation

12 minutes ago, novazeus said:

Low tire pressures affect braking distances and provide less responsive steering and handling. This can be especially dangerous when an emergency stop or sudden evasive maneuver is needed to avoid a collision. In addition, low pressures allow tire sidewalls to flex excessively, which generates heat.

https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/articles/the-importance-of-proper-tire-inflation

Yes, maybe, but comparing EUCs to cars is (for now) not realistic. Braking forces for a minimum 2,000lb vehicle + passengers vs. a 75lb wheel + one rider are not comparable. 

I don't ride in the 40mph range on my S22P, but I do ride 30+ . In my experience, there is a noticeable difference at higher speeds but the trade-offs are worth it. Braking is affected but not to such an extent to cause any concern. I can feel the changes and actively mitigate the risks. Not a big deal for experienced riders. Suum cuique.

Edited by litewave

57 minutes ago, novazeus said:

I don't need other people to tell me how low tire pressures can adversely affect handling and braking performance in other applications.

All I have to do is to lower the tire pressure, and experience it for myself. Easy peasy.

In fact, I have around 30,000 km's on my wheels on low tire pressures.

For my use-case, it is exactly how it works best for me.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, litewave said:

Do all the red plastic parts on your S22 color-match irl? Did you 3D-print the pads, as well as all the other parts? Which filament? They sort of look like Kinetics but are different. Have you uploaded them to any repo?

The colours are a very close match. I can't take all the credit. It was @Rawnei that got me started 3D printing. Most parts can be found for free on https://www.thingiverse.com/ When I don't find what I'm looking for I make my own. Recently I've been designing parts for my friends KS S19.  It seems quite 'vulnerable' to rolling down the hill!

The material is 95a TPU. The density or 'hardness' of the pads can be adjusted to suit by changing the percentage infill.

It you want to know more it might be better to PM me so we don't 'clog up' the thread.   

The price of the printer was the same as one set of pads. It easily paid for itself a few times over.

• Like 2

knee and weather ok enough to finally evaluate my tire choices, and the 90 is gonna be the winner. what's amazing, sorta, is this 90/90 tire is load rating 52 or 441 pounds, and the 90/80 going on the v13's is only load rating 51, or 430 pounds. not much above the stock knobby or 80/90 michelin of 396 pounds.

anyway, ya, i love it. maybe the lynx won't be a turd and i can stick these 80/90 michelins on them. 

this is a fast tire and i'm riding it at 35 psi cold. about 20% off max. but at 441 pound load carrying capacity, i'm good. like adding a rubber shock absorber. my banged up knee approves.

love this s22 pro with this 90/90 r14 michelin city grip 2. so that means, the forum members will hate it. 

34BA69B5-C2DB-4630-96C8-2CE599ED79C2.thumb.jpeg.95c2e310c2b3bed8f3ce9937516e2813.jpeg

not trying, it's just faster. real fast coming out of the curves. 

DDE827AE-9065-4335-BEC3-6928A886DDF8.thumb.png.e5469a9f2f68027b0e27f6c2e876f1c0.png

rode the 80/90 first

0EC5C8C4-3127-4D4D-B3B0-9D58FADCD26B.thumb.png.a696ea1394d0db84c5785156a58050fc.png

• Like 1

coyotes got a calf about 4:30 am this morning. i rode about ten miles or so on a v13 and my s22 pro with the city grip 2 90/90 r14 tire on it. 

as of now, with the extra flex from this 441 max load tire at 45psi lowered to 34 psi cold, the s22 pro has a better suspension for my washboard pastures. 

i did get a new 90/80 r16 city grip 2 tire today for my first v13, and it's loading is 430 pounds at 45 psi, so i'll still be able to drop ten percent and be at 387 pound loading. the stock knobby is only 396 at max 40psi. so that might tip the suspension scales back in the v13 favor.

but, nonetheless, the 75 pound s22 pro is gonna win best all around wheel unril my knee heals 100% and i'm stronger.

i'd love to have a fully functionng new lynx for comparison, but that will evidently have to wait a few more months. i'm sure my pastures will still suck just as bad. 

when i ride back on to my pavement, that's like getting in a mercedes.

best all around. love this combination.

1CFBA243-FDDF-4C61-A627-B6BF55782B0A.jpeg.d00e73687d354bfb8f4068b6817ee179.jpeg

free at last. ditched the upper pad. it was either the leatts or the stupid pad.

i'll get some more waist trimmer belts because that works perfectly. the bottom pads can stay because i never touch them. added shell protection.

and i like the blacked out look. i'm gonna do my first one that way during the tire tear down. i'm doing the rim too. i hate that orange.

9D7BD147-34A9-4BAD-93C7-2074D3FF28D1.jpeg.36106aceac87a6baa8049a228e10aefa.jpeg

humongous

28E27461-523A-4EBF-BA92-10B4ABAFA16B.jpeg.36ed5be14fdc331bbce4471fcd584227.jpeg

i hope they enjoyed their last meal. they'll be dead before sunrise.

94546432-0094-4A19-87D5-C93D0B51F1C7.jpeg.fd6e9c73a321437fd7b3008229cc1917.jpeg