Reckless riding is going to get us banned

4 hours ago, gr8ps said:

Have you guys ever ridden in NYC? You don't understand. You have to be aggressive, all the cars and cabs are out to get you. No one follows traffic signals, everyone runs reds. Until you've lived in the city, you can't have an opinion. Go back to riding in your suburbs with perfect roads.

That's my guess what the responses are going to be. 

Sidewalks?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

Sidewalks?

It was sarcasm on my part. I've called out the NYC riders before. What I got out of it is that NYC is special and rules don't apply to them. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, someguy152 said:

on the roads....but not sure why you would extrapolate that to riding on shared trails with 3mph peds

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. 

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

When I see these idiots bearing down on an innocent family with little kids in hand I almost threw my phone! WTF!! How can anyone  respect these guys! :furious:

I would imagine the respect comes from being able to observe their ability to tame / control the wheels at high speeds. This is something most people can't / are not willing to do. It would be the same kind of respect for anyone willing to push to be the very best at something.

That being said, the line should be drawn when it starts to endanger others. Being skilled is one thing, how you use said skill is another. This is a big disappointment for me since U-Stride initially advocated for safe riding ; to be ambassadors for the EUC community. But I guess all of that goes out the window when you end up in New York and feel the need to prove yourself to other riders.

I still have respect for the skills of the NYC riders though, and I do push myself to practice maintaining control at higher speeds. Not for ego, not to show off, but to have acquire the ability to do something if I'm ever put into a tight situation. It's just a shame that most (not all) of these NYC riders seem to have this cult mentality - that speed is everything and pushing yourself to cutout is good. I just wish there was someone skilled there who can be an advocator of wheel mastery / safety. Something akin to learning marital arts, where primarily it is an activity focused on mastery, exercise, and fun... and less on beating the crap out of others.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I can’t sit idly by without posting my opinion on this subject!

I saw the video you post about and I was wondering what would happen if that 35KG (77.1 lbs) wheel flew away and hit one (or more) of those pedestrians along the way....:wacko:

Edited by Meserias
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davinche said:

I still have respect for the skills of the NYC riders though, and I do push myself to practice maintaining control at higher speeds

I could respected them if they show their high speed skills on "race tracks appropriate for EUCs"

Not with their driving on/over the edge as they show in their videos.

So they are just another bunch of youngsters applying for the darwin awards - which somehow seems to lie in human nature. Some are just a bit more prudent, some not in this age...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chriull said:

I could respected them if they show their high speed skills on "race tracks appropriate for EUCs"

Not with their driving on/over the edge as they show in their videos.

So they are just another bunch of youngsters applying for the darwin awards - which somehow seems to lie in human nature. Some are just a bit more prudent, some not in this age...

I guess you and I differ in opinion. I separate the skill from the application. I can appreciate skill when it is demonstrated, but simultaneously experience disdain depending on the situation when it was applied. Hence why I made the effort to promote idea of an ideal advocator for wheel mastery without the recklessness.