Reckless riding is going to get us banned

45 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

I think this is motivation to get into the hobby NOW, ride as much as you can NOW. We're in the EUC golden years. Will we be legal next year? Nobody knows.

I know for the United States. We'll be legal.

• Like 1

Governments could simply forbid all safety equipment on all vehicles, and thereby spread the risk of injury equally among road users.

Knee and elbow padding, helmets, airbags, safety glass, abrasion resistant jackets, crumple zones, abs, safety belts, all have the effect increasing crashing and deaths because users feel safer. 

I guarantee you people ride safer if they know they will get hurt from crashes.

11 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Governments could simply forbid all safety equipment on all vehicles, and thereby spread the risk of injury equally among road users.

Knee and elbow padding, helmets, airbags, safety glass, abrasion resistant jackets, crumple zones, abs, safety belts, all have the effect increasing crashing and deaths because users feel safer. 

I guarantee you people ride safer if they know they will get hurt from crashes.

I actually want to make a video about this! Safety gear are like an airbag on a car, it’ll help reduce injury but the safest thing to do is to not get into an accident if the first place and like you said people get complacent and take more risk when they felt that they are protected.

I took MSF when I learned how to ride a bike and many of the defensive driving lessons applies equally to what we do. The safest thing is really to wear all the protection but ride as if you were buck naked.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hsiang said:

Not to mention the fact that I think the media will have a field day; can you imagine the head line “Governor so and so pass law to limit speed of unicycle, circus bears around the country alarm by stupid laws” here in NYC the threshold for prosecuting traffic death are so high that very few drivers ever get convicted for killing pedestrians or bicyclist. If the there aren’t enough political will to deal with that I don’t see how anyone would care about a handful of EUC accidents. I am not familiar with jurisdiction elsewhere but I highly doubt any ban would be created nor enforced (jaywalking is also technically illegal) here in NYC.

In general I would agree, with the exception of a high profile case that involves a kid and a serious injury. Something that was maybe caught on video and went viral. Then you could see EUCs get the lawn darts treatment. Hopefully we can minimize the chances of that kind of thing. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hsiang said:

Not to mention the fact that I think the media will have a field day; can you imagine the head line “Governor so and so pass law to limit speed of unicycle, circus bears around the country alarm by stupid laws” here in NYC the threshold for prosecuting traffic death are so high that very few drivers ever get convicted for killing pedestrians or bicyclist. If the there aren’t enough political will to deal with that I don’t see how anyone would care about a handful of EUC accidents. I am not familiar with jurisdiction elsewhere but I highly doubt any ban would be created nor enforced (jaywalking is also technically illegal) here in NYC.

It sounds like, you are not putting much value on someone else's life or quality of life.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hsiang said:

It's only a matter of time before some idiot riding like original posters video kills someone - my guess is once that happens public pressure will force a ban of EUC's in public.

As for dealing with anyone found guilty of riding like that well I'd put them behind bars for a long time.

• Like 1

@archieuc They where just looking for an excuse IMO, the population in general hated electric kick scooters with a disproportionate rage.. It was freaking ridiculous at times.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hsiang said:

I do want to say that the riding culture in NYC is completely different than anywhere else and the expectation from pedestrian is also different, I have a clip somewhere of an old lady with an walker crossing a 5 lane avenue against a red lights with taxis wizzing by. No one waits for a red and for the most part ppl watch where they are going and expects that no one else will follow the rules either. NYC had always been this way and if you watch any of the fixies bike messenger videos in NYC you’ll see the exact same behavior as many of the same people are riding EUC now

Why this statement? The subject is about reckless riding. I don't understand.

• Like 2