Reckless riding is going to get us banned

From what I've seen from U-Stride, I think he gets over excited by the adrenaline factor and forgets basic safety and whatnot. He got a lot of backlash in the comments for that Sherman Test video...but he seemed to have acknowledged the mistake.

He better address that in his next video though...and show some respect for the dangers, cuz he's one of the people setting the example and forming public perception. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Exactly. I couldn't even tell where the bike lane ended and the highway started. It seems he was following the correct signs. You can also see two bikers stop and stare as he entered the highway. He may have been in too much shock to go into the right/slow lane. We should ask him. 

Yeah, in his comment to me on his channel he said he was just trying to stay calm and was nervous about changing lanes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, in his comment to me on his channel he said he was just trying to stay calm and was nervous about changing lanes.

On the benefits of mounting a mirror on your helmet (although it wouldn't have helped much in this case)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonthelam said:

Having the opportunities to ride a bicycle in multiple urban settings and rural areas I can say the street riding culture in NYC is non like any other I've ever been through.

I've been in NY twice, walked through the Central park with the kid. I do not remember being surrounded with a-holed and dickheads. People were cool and nice. No one  have passed my kid in close distance going 30mph. If they did I'd probably remember that because i'd kick their ass (if I would be able to catch on). So i refuse to believe that being an a-hole is normal for NY. Very interesting city! Loved it! So I believe one can be a dickhead in any state or any country, it does not depend on particularly being in NY. The same goes for reasonable and nice people, which constitute majority of population everywhere including NY. Just an opinion.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alj said:

I've been in NY twice, walked through the Central park with the kid. I do not remember being surrounded with a-holed and dickheads. People were cool and nice. No one  have passed my kid in close distance going 30mph. If they did I'd probably remember that because i'd kick their ass (if I would be able to catch on). So i refuse to believe that being an a-hole is normal for NY. Very interesting city! Loved it! So I believe one can be a dickhead in any state or any country, it does not depend on particularly being in NY. The same goes for reasonable and nice people, which constitute majority of population everywhere including NY. Just an opinion.

My comment is about riding in the city streets. I couldn't agree with you more if you were walking as a pedestrian and exploring by foot. It is when I got on a bike with people riding along you, it keeps you moving. Same goes for driving.

10 minutes ago, jonthelam said:

My comment is about riding in the city streets. I couldn't agree with you more if you were walking as a pedestrian and exploring by foot. It is when I got on a bike with people riding along you, it keeps you moving. Same goes for driving.

I missed context then. I've seen worse places than NY in that department. Moscow for example. Yes, being aggressive on the road is pretty normal in NY, but pedestrian walks and road have pretty clear separation. People can normally walk fine without expecting their kid to collide with fast moving EUC rider. This is where i would focus my rage and anyone who defends that kind of stuff is out of their mind.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, davinche said:

Your original question is "why is it so bad to ride on the highway" and the "difference between an EUC and [motorcycle,cars etc]". I addressed your question - I did not say anything about how dangerous anything is. So your argument is fallacious from the start. Please don't assume a position I didn't take.

But to answer your question on "why is that any different than riding an EUC on the roads in the city", legally speaking (and yes I know it differs between states, so this is a generality) you should only be able to ride an EUC on the roads at a certain speed limit. Anything beyond that is illegal. So the assumption I'm going to make is that 40mph is way above the legal limit for an unregistered device. That is the difference. Only registered vehicles should be on the highway.

Wow you must be one of those law abiding guys who rides at the legal speed limit for an unregistered vehicle while riding an illegal vehicle. Nice. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

I guess if you can't see the difference between an EUC and a motorcycle at 40mph then there lies your problem.

I'd have though it obvious why a vehicle with one wheel and no 'active' braking is far more a danger to public safety than a 2 wheeled one with 'proper' braking.

As other members have already said, motorcycles are licensed to a person, they need insurance, they have to satisfy minimum safety standards, riders require training, there are age limits, medical limitations etc. None of these apply to an EUC.

Vehicle failure is more likely on an EUC than a motorcycle and will almost certainly be harder to control - when did you last hear of motorcyclists worrying about engine cut outs at 40mph?

We all enjoy riding EUc's and none of us want to see them banned but if people can't see the risks of riding at 40mph on crowded highways or pedestrianised areas. they should't be riding at all

Why is the cut out the only thing you people keep talking about? The statistical rate of a random cut out is negligible, it’s not gonna happen. It’s about as common as a tire blowing out on a car or a tie rod snapping off and having said car veer into traffic. 

crowded highways? With what? Oh yea, other cars which will protect the passengers inside regardless of the 1% chance an EUC comes flying at them. 

I don't understand why everyone is pointing their fingers at the riders.

What about the pedestrians? What about everyone else?

Look at this disgusting display:

image.png.c32b1b62a6db569fb1846a10fe64f76e.png

How much room is left for anyone else? Is this not a shared pedestrian path / bike path that is meant for two way traffic?
What gives those two idiots and their child the right to claim half of it for themselves? They don't care about anyone else than themselves so why should anyone care about them?
THEY are the ones responsible for their child and this is irresponsible parenting. They are creating a problem for others to solve and then what? Are they going to complain about the solution that was chosen? DON'T CAUSE THE PROBLEM TO BEGIN WITH.

What happens when this repeats over and over again? Obviously people will stop caring and it will just become a game of chicken not to mention navigating an obstacle course.

Actions will cause reactions.

And this classic scenario.
Hmm an incoming vehicle. Oh it's not going that fast... i'll just cross the street.
Does it have to be a motorcycle doing 100 mph? Because it could just has easily been that.
Is that a street crossing? Is there a green light or red light?
If the Sherman rider is blasting through a red and the pedestrian still decides to cross it is his choice. He obviously looked, measure the speed, measured his pace and crossed.
He is an adult.

People do the same thing in Stockholm all the time.
In New York they do it because if you snooze you lose.
In Stockholm people do it but just pretend not to see and play stupid.
I can crawl behind someone at 5 kmh and ring my bell 5 times and they won't move.
But if I try to cross a crosswalk and it's green for me a car can just as easily rip right through it and kill me.

image.png.33fa9a58568cfa29b5a9516754e3db1f.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Please...please ...please tell me your being facetious.

I've enjoyed his videos enough to say with surety...Mike is being serious.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

As we're living in cancel culture, let me first cover my ass with a disclaimer: In broad terms, I am not against that safety precautions should be encouraged when around pedestrians, but the enforcement I limit to my own riding. You can say I lean more libertarian than "progressive".

I think U-Stride (who's from Boston, not NYC), has gotten the message more than once and has acknowledged that excitement got the best of him. Hsiang has mentioned that he would have chosen a better venue in hindsight. Repeatedly calling U-Stride stupid and an idiot (and then painting all NYC riders as reckless) can smack of virtue signaling if the the signaler is not aware how he/she/zi/zer can appear. 

Some are unsubscribing, which is no harm no foul. Some are asking him to take down his video, which I am not against encouraging him to do, but I also respect his first amendment right (or what's left of it these days), so to me that's up to him. But there's now a call to report the video, which if successful, will lead to it being taken down by force like many a historical statue. This is worse than what happened to Gone With The Wind (at least there, the movie will be brought back with disclaimers and hopefully remain relatively intact).

Look, I think no one denies that child lives matter, or that (controversial trigger warning) all pedestrians lives matter, including children. But I'm not sure community policing is the way (even if you might be right):

Finally, I will grudgingly admit much of my perspective might be due to my experience of living in NYC (let's call it NYC privilege), but I have to put my foot down on the following point: I do not take responsibility. No offence to Californians especially those near Hollywood. :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Wow you must be one of those law abiding guys who rides at the legal speed limit for an unregistered vehicle while riding an illegal vehicle. Nice. 

Not quite sure why you're directing this to me. You asked a question. I attempted to answer it. You don't like my answer? That's fine. Why try to undermine me with your comment? Nowhere did I attempt/try to say I always ride within the speed limit. In fact I made several comments about how speed (high or low) is not the only factor to consider when evaluating "reckless behavior".

Q: Why are EUCs allowed on the road? A: Because there are situations in which they are permitted (ie: under a certain speed limit). Same reason why bikes and stuff are allowed.

Q: Why aren't EUCs allowed on the highway? A: Because there's literally zero legal circumstances in which they are allowed. Same reason why bikes and stuff are not allowed on the highway.

Edited by davinche
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, FullTilt said:

Finally, I will grudgingly admit much of my perspective might be due to my experience of living in NYC (let's call it NYC privilege), but I have to put my foot down on the following point: I do not take responsibility. No offence to Californians especially those near Hollywood. :P

Wow, the nerve of some people. Surely this isnt in my hood, as people are slower to try to be police and faster to become amateur boxers. Last I heard, assault was illegal, I'm amazed this didnt escalate into something more. 'Stand your ground' laws are wonderful. I wonder f the 'wannabe' cop is from a culture with a shade more dictatorship in its blood? Community policing isnt a great idea around here, as people arent so keen to allow some stranger the right to tell them how to behave. Even the REAL police can have a hard time of it. Hitting me with your chest will ALWAYS be viewed as an attack and will be met accordingly. Fists, feet, head, chest, I dont care, as I'm looking for a reason anyhow. I aint in grade school anymore, this shit doesnt fly nowadays. Lucky for our NYC guys, this short man isnt walking around YOUR streets. lol

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Lucky for our NYC guys, this short man isnt walking around YOUR streets. lol

In US this is called "harassment" (look up legal therm). It is illegal even if short guy thinks he protects the law.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2020 at 11:52 PM, Alj said:

In US this is called "harassment" (look up legal therm). It is illegal even if short guy thinks he protects the law.

He also pushed the man, which translates into assault. Make note for any travelers visiting the USA, it is NOT legal (or safe) for you to try and enforce local law. It IS legal (deosnt mean safe tho) for you to try and protect yourself or others. I think the wannabe cop was placing himself in danger, so he was NOT protected by any legal right. Vigilante justice is NOT acceptable in USA and gets you in trouble. The law does state that you can protect yourself if you feel you are being assaulted or in danger of harm. The grey area lies in what each person considers to be endangering. The guy on the euc must have been a person to prefer avoiding violence and conflict, or it would have gone MUCH differently. In the end, I'd imagine the little guy would lose his day on court, even if he showed with a black eye. Blocking the path of a person who is trying to avoid conflict, can be seen as instigating conflict. We ALL see people doing things illegally, very rarely are we allowed to take it upon ourselves to intervene. Its a double edged sword for sure, as it doesnt help to call police and watch a crime be committed, but it also doesnt keep you safe, to intervene and you may just lose in court on top of it. Ironic that the guy with the luggage was taking MORE room on the sidewalk and creating a hazard for himself and others around him. Time to start practicing running dismounts with fist flying i guess. Its not like I dont carry  'the great equalizer' in my pocket in cities anyhow. Careful people, you never know how crazy a stranger is, until it may be too late.:efef77eaf5:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
clarity
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I've enjoyed his videos enough to say with surety...Mike is being serious.

I can’t believe Mike would throw this heartfelt, serious discussion under the bus. 

Hey...how about a big posted sidewalk sign: Parents Beware- Silent Vehicles Approaching From Behind At 40MPH. 

• Like 3