King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

47 minutes ago, redfoxdude said:

Are these bearings available in 10x19x5mm (6800 series) though? That's the size that is in the linkages.

Skateboard/Longboard bearings are completely different dimensions unfortunately, so will not work.  I've got plenty of spare sets of skate bearings lying around, so not going to be an option, when and if I come to retrofit New/better bearings in due course!

It looks like King Song used these bearings as shown on Ali: 6800RS Bearing 10PCS 10x19x5 mm ABEC-3 Hobby Electric RC Car Truck 6800 RS 2RS Ball Bearings 6800-2RS Blue Sealed

They really are as cheap as chips though, which is Not surprising from the usual manufacturers "keep costs down" for mass production mentality!

Ceramic bearings seriously do jump up in price in the correct dimensions: 10x19x5 mm (S6800-2RS) Si3N4 Ceramic Bearing  These were the first option I could find, but there may be more cost effective options, should anyone wish to upgrade to ceramics!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, redfoxdude said:

Are these bearings available in 10x19x5mm (6800 series) though?

They are standard Longboard/Skateboard bearings. If another skate bearing fit, these will fit too. 

Dont know why people mention that they fit. @fbhb

Then they wont. :(

https://www.123kugellager.at/lager-61800-CERA.php

But there are ceramic bearings in that size. Lol that site has every screw, bearing you can think off. :D Probably just gonna order everything from there and fix.

Edited by eve

@mrelwood I mentioned ceramic bearings because they are better longer lasting solution.

Ecodrift manage to dramatically improve the systems travel so im sure they post a guide or some our members will help in that regard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fbhb said:

Skateboard/Longboard bearings are completely different dimensions unfortunately, so will not work.  I've got plenty of spare sets of skate bearings lying around, so not going to be an option, when and if I come to retrofit New/better bearings in due course!

So the linkage bearings aren't standard skateboard bearings?  Crap

• Like 1

Dont forget to mentioned the most important parts.

Almost all S18 issues can be fixed DYI. I doubt you can fix anything on V11 without relying on your seller to do it for you.

Thats why crashing a V11 in lot of cases leaves you in the hand of your seller. While when you crash an S18 you most likely just by few plastics and fix it yourself.

Not to mention the amount of modifications you can make on S18.

Im not fanboying over any wheel. Sure V11s build quality is better then S18 but there is a price to pay. Its like having an iPhone instead of having an Android. 

If somethings wrong with your iPhone you send it to Apple, If somethings wrong with your Android anyone can fix it.

Edited by eve

5 minutes ago, FinRider said:

No, this is not true. All EUCs can be DIY fixed if you have the aptitude for it.

i know that everyone is trying to justify their purchase of a specific model. The fact is though that the S18 has some inherent design flaws in the execution of the suspension system. It can be fixed, but it will require some DIY engineering. In this regard the V11’s suspension is (to date) better.

Yeah sure. Good luck doing that on V11. Im not trying to justify my purchase lol. I look at it objectively. 

Im planning on buying V11 too. 

Yes there are some flaws as with any first batch wheels. 

Dont your consider the fact that a higher PSI on V11 will make the wheel literally dangerous a flaw too? Higher PSI on S18 will not make propel you of your EUC. 

There are two-sides to everything.

Edited by eve

8 minutes ago, FinRider said:

One point that has not been discussed enough in my opinion is the motor cable. It rubs on the outer shell when the suspension is actively travelling. This might be a huge problem in the future.

Could you share a picture of where the cable is rubbing? I remember someone calling out this issue awhile back (might have been Chooch?).

18 minutes ago, eve said:

Thats why crashing a V11 in lot of cases leaves you in the hand of your seller. While when you crash an S18 you most likely just by few plastics and fix it yourself.

Apparently you didn't see the pictures of a totally destroyed S18 after a crash at just 25 km/h. The metal (Silium) parts cracked and not user fixable. 

8 minutes ago, eve said:

Dont your consider the fact that a higher PSI on V11 will make the wheel literally dangerous a flaw too? Higher PSI on S18 will not make propel you of your EUC. 

FinRider pointed out an objective flaw in the execution and manufacturing of the S18 suspension and your answer is to point that another wheel (that you don't consider an alternative) has a flaw too. And you base that on a theory of what caused one crash? By that theory every non suspended wheel would be flawed also as they would be even more dangerous when hitting a pot hole at high speeds. Too high PSI or accidentally hitting the suspension lever to off -position would propel you off your S18 if you thought your suspension was working properly and were riding too fast. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Mark Wilson said:

Could you share a picture of where the cable is rubbing? I remember someone calling out this issue awhile back (might have been Chooch?).

Sure. See attached. There is a metal spring braiding on the motor cable to shield it, but I do not think it is sufficient.

for some reason the pic is upside down  cant seem to fix it as I am posting on my iphone, but you get the gist  

0110403D-2B67-4B03-97EB-C31313C1CBD4.jpeg.73ffea78ebe0ac25c50f734eaff3a82d.jpeg

What i did is that i filed down the inner casing above the spring so that it is not as sharp. I will see if I can make a cutout for the cable there though, but that means i need to take the wheel a bit more apart, which I will need to do to rectify the crooked fender anyway...

Edited by FinRider
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, FinRider said:

Sure. See attached. There is a metal spring braiding on the motor cable to shield it, but I do not think it is sufficient.

for some reason the pic is upside down  cant seem to fix it as I am posting on my iphone, but you get the gist  

0110403D-2B67-4B03-97EB-C31313C1CBD4.jpeg.73ffea78ebe0ac25c50f734eaff3a82d.jpeg

What i did is that i filed down the inner casing above the spring so that it is not as sharp. I will see if I can make a cutout for the cable there though, but that means i need to take the wheel a bit more apart, which I will need to do to rectify the crooked fender anyway...

I think I have seen in a post where it is suggested that new owners tuck the cable in as it comes out of place during shipment.

45 minutes ago, Simply_Striking said:

I think I have seen in a post where it is suggested that new owners tuck the cable in as it comes out of place during shipment.

The groove is not deep enough to accomodate that on my wheel. And the cable has no play and is very stiff. Again, imho poor design. 

• Like 2

If anyone’s interested here’s an exploded view of the individual parts taken from the KS teardown. Simple .;)

50258482176_6b4e395659_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

Would anyone be so kind to combine all the refinements that have been mentioned in this thread and make it into a single thread on this forum ? Or even perhaps a video. This is what I have read so far through this 116 page thread. 

- change out washers 

- lube the pivot points within the suspension 

- remove the block underside of the pedals

- push in (hammer) the wire to prevent rubbing

My s18 coming in soon, and for now I will need to combine through all the pages again to make sure I am not missing any of the recommendations to make the s18 riding experience the smoothest as can be. 

I don't think I've seen a bunch of irate S18 owners on here with non-functional wheels.

Have you thought of what they compare their experiences to? Non-suspension wheels. A nearly stuck suspension is easily applauded if all you have ridden are hard-tails. I don’t consider an average EUC rider to have the knowledge to assess whether a mechanical system like this has been built correctly or not.

And justifying the V11 failures with "they started investigating immediately" is no fix.

Sure isn’t. And there may never be one, since we are talking about one single instance. One unit out of hundreds. Even average DOA failure percentages on EUCs tend to be much higher.

How the S18 suspension is put together is not about a failure of a few. It’s about how they are all built.

And "the rider is much heavier" is no excuse for a failure if they are operating within the manufacturers specs.

Sure isn’t. That too is the only case I know of the production V11 mainboard breaking under high stress. Other mainboard failures are one caused by a faulty battery, and one on the preproduction sample. That’s three in total. If they were overengineered enough and built perfectly, they wouldn’t have happened. But that’s not a world we live in.

And the issue with the bearings getting rusty was a very lucky find before a batch of wheels went out

The issue was found after hundreds of wheels were already shipped out. And even the Z-bearings are of a type that have been used on previous EUCs as well, I’ve read. My V11 has the same bearings, and I haven’t found a reason to be very concerned.

• Only when there were head to head nuanced comparisons did the difference come out

Exactly. Without a proper benchmark or advanced knowledge, positive reviews are pretty pointless. Think about any 4 year old EUC. It would still be an amazing device if we hadn’t had the possibility to compare it to other EUCs that have paved the advancements in these 4 years. It would take an actual engineer to tell us that most specs could be easily multiplied.

•  
    • Really?  What is the torque on mine?

Yawn... The point is that those parts of the joint shouldn’t drag on eachother at all. I know without measuring that yours’ do. Because that’s how they are all built.

• Assembly blocks left in, which jam the slider tubes
    • It doesn't jam anything.  It can cause additional friction.  BIG difference. 

Sure. How much force does it take to push and pull the stock system from end to end if the shock is removed? I don’t need to guess, we actually tried. And we wrote about it here.

• How about durability between the two?  Why did you leave that out?  

Now I wonder if you are even being serious. Durability, “the ability to withstand wear”, by assessing one week old EUCs?

Both wheels have some issues.

As a Ninebot P owner, I’d assume that you would understand the difference between a single case of failure and a product that is just made or designed badly.

So far, the S18 concerns are easily corrected

You might want to read the last few pages of this thread a bit more carefully.

obvious bias on one wheel versus another is unbecoming of a moderator.  

Moderators are also people. All people have experiences on which they base their opinions on. “Bias” would refer to a prepositional opinion or attitude. If you haven’t disassembled or even ridden the V11 yet, wouldn’t your opinions fit the description of “biased” more than mine?

Learning that one product has more severe issues than another is not called bias. It’s called experience.

Almost all S18 issues can be fixed DYI. I doubt you can fix anything on V11 without relying on your seller to do it for you.

I have no idea where you come up with this stuff. Why would fixing the V11 be more complicated than fixing the S18 if they had the same issue?

Thats why crashing a V11 in lot of cases...

“In a lot of cases”. How many are we talking about? The one ~30mph hit on a truck’s steel bumper?

Im not fanboying over any wheel.

If course you aren’t. You’d recognize that right away.

If somethings wrong with your iPhone you send it to Apple, If somethings wrong with your Android anyone can fix it.

How many have you fixed, either of those? I have repaired about a dozen iPhones. Was asked to fix an Android, but didn’t after reading the repair guide, since it would’ve been way too much work.

It seems clear that all of the above come down to the crucial difference between impression and experience.

2 hours ago, eve said:

Higher PSI on S18 will not make propel you of your EUC. 

I absolutely agree. It would still barely move.

2 hours ago, eve said:

There are two-sides to everything.

Like whether the Ninebot P was a success, or a well designed and built wheel?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FinRider said:

I dunno.  Mine looks really well-done.  I think this will wear a hole in the plastic long before shorting the cable

MotorCable.jpg

1 hour ago, Feynman said:

I dunno.  Mine looks really well-done.  I think this will wear a hole in the plastic long before shorting the cable

MotorCable.jpg

Wow, that looks way better than mine!

i will fix it when i tear down the wheel to fix my rubbing fender.