King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

15 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Just so all readers understand: While good quality bearings do have a better performance in general, they are not the part that is preventing the S18 suspension from functioning. The middle pivot of the upper arm for example is tightened very hard, linkage arm against another. And the connecting bolt itself rests tightly against the outer arm. The bearings themselves don't get to do much else than to keep the bolt at the center of the hole.

Modifying the hinges to take proper usage of the original bearings would bring ten times more gain than just replacing the bearings could ever do. I'm hoping that the smart and experienced forumeers will come up with and share practical solutions to fix the excessive friction. Waiting for KingSong's solution doesn't feel like the best of moves at the moment.

I’m sorry just a thought, I haven’t received my S18 yet, but got some mind for the middle suspension linkage, I read somewhere that the block that KS suggest to remove makes the suspension arms kind of bending when installed, so that it will cause frictions & tightening, what if we trim the block with sand paper on both sides so that the middle suspension arms bearing holes align perfectly that will make the suspension move smooth & free, while the block also act as a leverage for the frame body and the suspension..

but in the other hand if the blocks removed thus the suspension still cannot move freely, then you will need slightly bigger block in place or you can just add up something to the sides of blocks until the suspension can move nicely.

46 minutes ago, redfoxdude said:

Um, mine wasn't so stiff out of the box, and I could easily move the suspension by myself. There was stiction, yes, and I nearly eliminated it now with some TLC, but it wasn't "nearly stuck." You handled one that was on the worse end of the spectrum, but not all of them are as stiff like that, as you claim.

That said, mine is now smooth as butter, super cush, and I'm very excited to take her for a spin today 🙂

Yeah, it was mine that @mrelwood has experience with and it was so stiff that we could not get it to move when we pulled with all our might in opposite directions. the main culprit was the misalignment of the slider tubes and a minor culprit was the stiffness of the pivot arms. 
I did not just tap out the block in the pedal hangers, I removed the pedal hangers completely as I wanted to also make sure that the suspension was moving as smooth as possible. Once that was ensured, then I put the padal hangers back without the block and ensured that it was still as smooth as without them as the pedal hangers themselves can pull the slider bars out of alignment. I also put a bearing spacer in between the pivot arms, loosened the through bolt and left it barely snug instead. 

Now the suspension is very smooth and I am very happy with it. 

I still need to tear the wheel apart though as my inner fender is crooked and rubs on the tire when turning right and on the left inner casing when the suspension is working. I may be able to straighten it, if not then I will ask for a replacement. 

• Like 2

On 8/20/2020 at 3:31 PM, fbhb said:

@Jack King Song  The suspension on the Left has been worked on by it's owner to vastly improve the severe friction still present with the out of the factory set up shown on the Right!!!  This is how the end result should have been if the correct engineering assembly methods had been used to get the very best out of the linkage arrangement. 

This huge improvement has more than likely been achieved by using correctly dimensioned bearing spacers to clamp only against the bearings inner race, instead of randomly placed flat washers and even worse, spring washers that were previously binding the pivot points. 

Careful attention also needs to be paid on the assembly line to making sure the slider tubes are kept as parallel as possible, with no twisting when clamping up the pedal mounting frames.  Hopefully we will soon see if King Song themselves can achieve at least this level of effortless movement in the improvements that they are currently working on.

This is what we want to achieve. I will check how mine moves when I tear it down. 

@fbhb do you have any info on what the ecodrift guys did to alter the factory setup to achieve this smooth movement? Notice that they have the pedal hangers in place. This is important as they might also cause the slider tubes out of alignment. 

Edited by FinRider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FinRider said:

This is what we want to achieve. I will check how mine moves when I tear it down. 

@fbhb do you have any info on what the ecodrift guys did to alter the factory setup to achieve this smooth movement? Notice that they have the pedal hangers in place. This is important as they might also cause the slider tubes out of alignment. 

Mine was almost as smooth as ecodrift's before I put in spacers in to eliminate rubbing at the pivots on the sliders and the pivots at the top of the frame, and after, it behaved like in ecodrift's video. I also used Finish Line Stanchion Fluoro Oil on the tubes (and a drop or 2 on the pivots) to get things nice and slick. Stuff is nice and thin and slippery! A little went a long way.

Edited by redfoxdude
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Feynman said:

Didn't Kingsong say they were changing to steel parts for the linkage.  This sure looks, smells and tastes like aluminum to me.

3 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

That is surprising. Perhaps they meant the sliding carriages after all?

No, this wasn't made super clear, but what they changed to steel is the sliders. Jack also finally stated this directly in the Telegram a just few days ago.

Edited by redfoxdude
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, EUC123 said:

Hm... I was going to preorder my KS18 but it looks like I should wait for a few more batches before upgrading from my Inmotion V8.

Really these are relatively easy things to address.  It's a shame you have to completely disassemble the wheel to get to these parts, though.  It's also a shame that we have to fix them when we just paid $2k for a brand new wheel.  Yeah, I guess I'd wait for KS to fix it on their end if I had to do it over again.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Feynman said:

Chinesium shite.  Fell apart when it came out.  Yeah...  I'm going to have to replace all bearings, the bolts and barrel posts (already two have f'd up threads), add some PTFE bushings or something.  Maybe I'll replace the bearings with round PTFE spacer, I dunno.  It's bad.

ShitBearing.jpg

Damn your biting the bullet for a lot of us! :cheers: The bearing race just fell apart upon removal? Disgusting!

@Jack King Song hopefully your engineers are working on a solution as the suspension components used during the assembly are totally unacceptable!

21 minutes ago, Feynman said:

I'd wager that all of them cracked when installed at KS factory.

I hope Jack is listening!! This sucks!

Have you had time to research compatible  replacements?  

The bearings in the linkage connected to the sliders are in much better shape.  Maybe the lock washers raunched tight against the seals on the lower linkage bearings caused the others to fail?

UpperBearings.jpg

Edited by Feynman

31 minutes ago, Feynman said:

The bearings in the linkage connected to the sliders are in much better shape.  Maybe the lock washers raunched tight against the seals on the lower linkage bearings caused the others to fail?

After seeing your bearings this lock washer fiasco has changed my mind about ripping into my S18. I was going to wait for a KS solution but now realize there are no quick fixes to resolve this matter other than follow your lead. 

• Like 1

Whew. Seems like the combination of paint on bearings a overtightenet screws pretty much destroyed those bearings. :shock2:

Wouldnt something like this be better or nah? 

deep-groove-ball-bearing-flanged-f6800-2

deep-groove-ball-bearing-flanged-f6800-2

Edited by eve

On 8/23/2020 at 12:18 AM, Feynman said:

Does anyone know if Jack said the block (he told us to remove) needs to be in place when tightening the pedal hanger assembly back onto the sliders; then tap it out again?  I guess this is to keep things square when clamping on the pedal hanger?

If you are experiencing suspension travel issues you can knock out the block without loosening the screws. 

The block prevents people from over tightening the base and causing the lower battery base to bend inwards. 

On 8/23/2020 at 12:18 AM, Feynman said:

Does anyone know if Jack said the block (he told us to remove) needs to be in place when tightening the pedal hanger assembly back onto the sliders; then tap it out again?  I guess this is to keep things square when clamping on the pedal hanger?

If you are experiencing suspension travel issues you can knock out the block without loosening the screws. 

The block prevents people from over tightening the base and causing the lower battery base to bend inwards. 

On 8/22/2020 at 5:43 AM, Mark Wilson said:

Check out @Hsiang's review of the S18. It shows that while the cosmetic side panels may not be the most durable, the internal structure of the wheel is. Also, at 12:20 he says the app has been updated to allow the lean cutoff angle to be adjusted? Is this true? It's the first I'm hearing of it. If so, that would be awesome!

On 8/22/2020 at 7:17 AM, fbhb said:

As far as I know, the Android app is supposed to be getting upgraded and being made available through the Play Store shortly.  Jack has mentioned on Telegram, that there is always a hold up with Google authorizing apps on the Play Store, so users need to be patient!  I cannot comment on the iOS equivalent, as I'm not and NEVER will be an Apple user!

The newest consumer app has the function however does not save every time, it will work but needs some fiddling around. Our APP engineers are working on it. 

Google Play app is up, I will post an update. 

On 8/22/2020 at 10:10 AM, eve said:

I though i was asking too much when i mentioned 60 angle. :D 70 will be amazing. 

No fears of cutout on tight track turns. This is a necessity on a wheel like this! 

You guys ask, I deliver. :D
Even though its on the app, the command does not fully send through right now, it's being refined and we'll update both android and ios 

Edited by Jack King Song
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, FinRider said:

Wow, that looks way better than mine!

i will fix it when i tear down the wheel to fix my rubbing fender.

You can place a piece of fabric and using a rubber mallet or the plastic of part of the screw to hammer down the motor cable to ensure its snug against the slider. Due to the metal used the metal motor cable stays at an angle so this should help keep it down.