InMotion V8f

Asphalt

@PodqueenIt's also worth considering just buying a used wheel first. You're going to drop your wheel a lot in the first few months and it's far better to beat up on old wheel than a brand new expensive wheel. When you're feeling confident on the wheel you could then sell it on and not loose much money. By then the wheel you initially wanted will be much cheaper and you'll be less likely to damage it. A sort of win win.

Edited by mike_bike_kite
  • Like 2

Thanks for your replies.

I considered once buying on Aliexpress but I'm not very confident. Moreover, we've got nice unicycle shops in Paris with people fond of what they're selling, so I feel it's important to reward their passion and work by paying more yes, but paying to the right person.

Concerning bying a first used wheel, I made my mind about it. I'd like to buy a wheel I don't want to sell later for upgrading. I made a lot of researchs and my last choice is between the KS16S and the V8F. That's why I'm not looking for 14" wheels.

For my training, I'll look for wheel protection.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Podqueen said:

Thanks for your replies.

I considered once buying on Aliexpress but I'm not very confident. Moreover, we've got nice unicycle shops in Paris with people fond of what they're selling, so I feel it's important to reward their passion and work by paying more yes, but paying to the right person.

Concerning bying a first used wheel, I made my mind about it. I'd like to buy a wheel I don't want to sell later for upgrading. I made a lot of researchs and my last choice is between the KS16S and the V8F. That's why I'm not looking for 14" wheels.

For my training, I'll look for wheel protection.

I think you are making the right choice here. I wish I had a local shop where I could go if I get questions and for service. 

I am with you 200% that supporting local shop is a good thing. And I would even do it despite a higher cost. 

I think you (if you didn't do it yet) could get some help in the shop too about choice. 

Anyway your first wheel is not going to be your last. EUCs have a habit to grow on you, some say an addiction others (me) a new lifestyle. Anyway a life changing moment. 

1 minute ago, Unventor said:

I think you are making the right choice here. I wish I had a local shop where I could go if I get questions and for service. 

I am with you 200% that supporting local shop is a good thing. And I would even do it despite a higher cost. 

I think you (if you didn't do it yet) could get some help in the shop too about choice. 

Anyway your first wheel is not going to be your last. EUCs have a habit to grow on you, some say an addiction others (me) a new lifestyle. Anyway a life changing moment. 

What a sweet reply, thank you.

I know I'll be fond of unicycles, if it's not already the case yet ! But it's also my budget thatdoesn't allow me to get a used wheel then another one. Actually, I'm taking profit of my student profile to get a nice deal with my bank. Since it's my last year as a student, it might be difficult to get a similar deal later and my income only allows me to get the student deal.

So I'm looking for a wheel I can keep for a few years (because I know I'll want to upgrade!) but not be frustrated to keep a V5F until I get a better income (no offense) :')

But this is not the main topic here and I don't want to get off-topic anymore :cry2:

I read you weight 55 kg. I feel like anything heavier than V8 (or V8F) might be pain in the ass for transporting by hand (stairs, road pavement, etc). I feel like its one of the main thing to consider, if the range/speed/price feels okay to you

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ddolik said:

I read you weight 55 kg. I feel like anything heavier than V8 (or V8F) might be pain in the ass for transporting by hand (stairs, road pavement, etc). I feel like its one of the main thing to consider, if the range/speed/price feels okay to you

One of the main criteria, yes. I've got an elevator in my current flat, but I must move in in summer, so I don't know if I'll get an elevator. Plus, it will be easier for me to carry the wheel around me, in the car, with the trolley, etc.

I lifted a V8 last time, and it has pretty heavy, yes. I tried a KS16S and I think it would be my limit.

On 11/18/2019 at 2:50 PM, AtlasP said:

Even at that introductory price that's still 250-350 USD cheaper than either of those other wheels, let alone if they eventually get the post-launch V8F price down another 100 USD to 999 USD (or more). I think as the market has already demonstrated, the answer to your question is "a great many people/statistically most people".

Well, I think you're right when I remembered my thinking while purchase the V8 (first wheel).
"I don't need those speed and range, V8 seems to have all the conveniences and it's cheap, I also don't know if I can use it a lot".

Now, after have experience with EUC, if I can choose again, $350 more for a better wheel is an easy choice.

When you're not sure that EUC is for you, even $100 different still worth considering. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WaveCut said:

Moreover, you'll get local warranty which is the must with such complex thing

I would not buy a warranty for a V8 for 400 bucks though. 150 seems reasonably fair.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 10:18 AM, Mono said:

The original V10 pedals are together ~460g heavier than the original V8 pedals (I had both of them on my scale).

I guess we will need it to be teared down to tell, from eWheels’ website:

• What is the additional weight of the V8F over the V8?
    Just 2lb from the upgraded 1000W motor.
Edited by em1barns

6 hours ago, em1barns said:

I guess we will need it to be teared down to tell, from eWheels’ website:

• What is the additional weight of the V8F over the V8?
    Just 2lb from the upgraded 1000W motor.

I found the review fair.

The V8F is a refresh and does exactly what it should as such. But in the end, the V8 and V8F are no powerhouses. For a "normal" weight rider (80+kg) it's not strong enough for the advertised 35kph and similar stresses (e.g. him getting tiltback on moderate hills).

Sure, it has its niche, most importantly price. But in the end, unless you care about wheel weight or do not care about the limitations, I think other wheel models (starting with the V10) are just the better buy. A V8F is still a lot of money and I expect most riders would still want to upgrade soon.

I think that's what the video was getting across, and that's justified. A perfectly fine wheel, but not the best option to buy for most (new) people.

• Like 1

I just ordered a Xiaomi M365 Pro Scooter for £353.25 from GearBest in the Black Friday sales. I already have a v8 unicycle and that cost me around £1000 to buy and it has the same battery size and performance as the scooter ... except the scooter was one third the price ... gasp!:o

Given the high premium for EUCs compared to similar performance scooter its really a no-brainer for most people to buy a scooter. I am glad I have both, but the cost of EUCs seems pretty hard to swallow if you don't have spare cash to burn. I still look forward to upgrade my v8 to another larger EUC with more range in the future, but there are some really high performance scooters to be had for considerably less, so its really hard to justify.:blink1:

Edited by Nic
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Nic said:

I just ordered a Xiaomi M365 Pro Scooter for £353.25 from GearBest in the Black Friday sales. I already have a v8 unicycle and that cost me around £1000 to buy and it has the same battery size and performance as the scooter ... except the scooter was one third the price ... gasp!:o

Given the high premium for EUCs compared to similar performance scooter its really a no-brainer for most people to buy a scooter. I am glad I have both, but the cost of EUCs seems pretty hard to swallow if you don't have spare cash to burn. I still look forward to upgrade my v8 to another larger EUC with more range in the future, but there are some really high performance scooters to be had for considerably less, so its really hard to justify.:blink1:

same battery? the scooter is 280 wh and the v8 is 480 wh lol.. the motor on the v8 is over 3x as powerful and it has a 5 kph higher speed limit.. plus it would be difficult and inconvenient to say go shopping while carrying an electric scooter vs trolleying an euc.. eucs are very cheap for what they are if you ask me, though that is a damn good price for that scooter.. too bad gearbest stopped shipping them to north America or I might be tempted.. for a gift :p

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 3