InMotion V8f

Asphalt

I just pre-ordered the inmotion v8f, and apparently I'll be included in the first 40 that come out of the factory!, so excited!   I've been riding v8 (borrowing from a friend), and it'll be nice to get my own wheel!  Hopefully it'll be a couple weeks from what I've heard for the first production units

• Like 1

I preordered one last week. I'm not expecting to be in the first group of recipients but hoping for early January. Got a V5 one year ago. Need more power to get up the hill to my house. Maybe there will be a surpise delivery before the end of the month.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Everything takes more time than expected. Our first batch of 10x has been sitting with UPS for 4 days, awaiting DG paperwork for the battery pack, it should be arriving any day.

On the first mass shipment front, it sounds like Inmotion have been going through a bit of their own production hell with this motor supplier. The project is running around 3 months late :( Current assembly completion date on the next batch is now mid-January.  

So the first batch has probably shipped with heavier motor unit as we seen on review samples. Hope it'll be sorted out in main production. I don't want to have V8F heavier than advertised. Below 15kg is sweet spot for this drive in my opinion. 

On 12/23/2019 at 11:34 PM, Jason McNeil said:

mid-January.  

Well with this logic "new inmotion offroad unit "(not V8f) we see first batch around march 2020?

1 hour ago, DjPanJan said:

Well with this logic "new inmotion offroad unit "(not V8f) we see first batch around march 2020?

That might be seasonally close to optimal from sales perspective.

If the V8F delay is because of the motor, the new 18” might not have the same production channels for the motor. Of course, delays can come from anything. I hope we’ll hear some timetable plans (and of course the wheel itself!) in the mid January event!

• 3 weeks later...

Didn’t notice any vibrations at higher speeds, It felt solid and stable. I’ve been riding it at the top speed quite a lot, with the alarm going off. I didn’t do any serious hills yet - I’ll check it out soon, when it stops snowing and raining here!

• Like 1

Sounds like a good solid update, but it does not seem to warrant the price increase, seems like the updates should have been able to be included at the existing price point which is already near the top end for the battery capacity and features.  It would have been great if the battery capacity could have been increased more.  Still it's good that this wheel still exists since it seems the best in its class for a short commuter.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FreeRide said:

Sounds like a good solid update, but it does not seem to warrant the price increase, seems like the updates should have been able to be included at the existing price point which is already near the top end for the battery capacity and features.

I disagree. Name another 16" wheel in the vicinity of 32 lbs that can sustain 18-20mph for anywhere close to $1k? Anything close is some combination of: smaller tire or several hundred dollars more expensive or noticeably heavier.

I suspect the goal price is $999 (including the better motor and better quality cells, and with a little more breathing room)--so they launch at $1099 and make a few extra bucks at the initial launch from the earliest extra-eager buyers who are willing to pay (InMotion does have costs to develop and migrate manufacturing to the new design), then after some months/half a year or something they drop to $999 which is seen as a good price (whereas if they launched at $999 at the outset and left it there people would just complain about the price increase from the V8).

As you say, the V8F is "the best in its class for a short commuter" and InMotion has been obliterating the competition around the $1k price point. With the quality of life improvements to the V8F they've merely strengthened their already industry-leading entry in that particular price segment where they really don't have any competition. The ball is in King Song or Gotway's court to offer a solid 16" entry closer to $1k. (14" is too small and $1350+ is distinctly more expensive.) It would actually be really good for the market if they did.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, AtlasP said:

...they really don't have any competition. The ball is in King Song or Gotway's court to offer a solid 16" entry closer to $1k. (14" is too small and $1350+ is distinctly more expensive.)

The price is high due to lack of competition as you point out. All these EUCs are expensive compared to alternatives like scooters but it is a smaller market so pricing will be at a premium.

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody asked me to do a free spin maximum speed test on V8F - wanted to share here as well since you might be interested as well. This essentially involves lifting the wheel and letting it spin up until the warning & eventual cutout.  First 2 runs on V8,  followed by a couple with v8f.

Seems they built a bit more safety margin into the v8f, comparing to v8.  With v8, the alarm and cutout are not too far apart.  I get the alarm and tilt on V8F, and then it still spins up quite a bit more after (you can hear the sound on video)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, genesisx2 said:

Somebody asked me to do a free spin maximum speed test on V8F - wanted to share here as well since you might be interested as well. This essentially involves lifting the wheel and letting it spin up until the warning & eventual cutout.  First 2 runs on V8,  followed by a couple with v8f.

Seems they built a bit more safety margin into the v8f, comparing to v8.  With v8, the alarm and cutout are not too far apart.  I get the alarm and tilt on V8F, and then it still spins up quite a bit more after (you can hear the sound on video)

thats quite a difference.. good to see, hopefully we wont hear of any more cutouts from overleaning/speed on the new V8s 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone receiving the new v8f? I asked about pre-order on inmotion-iberia site. They didn't answer at first (Jan 27), but today I got an email saying that pre-orders have been disabled and that the shiping deadline is second quarter 2020. As I didn't have an answer from them in 24h, I contacted urban360 the next day who always seem to have someone online for a chat. They told me delivery was mid february, and a day later I preordered one unit from them. I'm not very optimistic about getting my v8f mid february, but they haven't contacted me as of now.

@Mana many products are delayed in manufacturing in China just now due to the ongoing situations. Many companies are closed to contain the corona virus situation.

I don't know how or if it effected the V8f but I would expect it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

many products are delayed in manufacturing in China

I believe InMmotion manufactures out of Luohu.  Though I don't know how many cases of Corona Virus are in Shenzhen. ‎Guangdong its Province‎ is presently reporting 970 cases and 69 recoveries.  Luohu is close to Hong Kong, which is reporting  24 cases and 1 death. Granted material and component supply chains likely sprawl across Asia.

If you haven't seen John Hopkins Univ - Corona Virus GIS Dashboard it pretty amazing.   

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

• Like 1

Thank you Unventor and Wazi Bat. It's also amazing how well informed people are in this forum. Very helpful.

10 hours ago, Wazi Bat said:

If you haven't seen John Hopkins Univ - Corona Virus GIS Dashboard it pretty amazing.   

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

• Like 1

18 hours ago, manu said:

Is anyone receiving the new v8f? I asked about pre-order on inmotion-iberia site. They didn't answer at first (Jan 27), but today I got an email saying that pre-orders have been disabled and that the shiping deadline is second quarter 2020. As I didn't have an answer from them in 24h, I contacted urban360 the next day who always seem to have someone online for a chat. They told me delivery was mid february, and a day later I preordered one unit from them. I'm not very optimistic about getting my v8f mid february, but they haven't contacted me as of now.

Hello there friend. My V8F arrived Jan 27. I preordered from ewheels on December 15th. I followed up before the chinese new year, coz I use to import from China way back and i know they have like a 2-3week vacay. Jason emailed back right away mentioned their team will confirm if their shipment did indeed depart before this grace period as he is also very aware of this. As always they have good customer service. I was impressed.

I hope this gives you some insight at least to another possible scenario. Goodluck. 

I'm lovin the wheel btw...

• Like 3

@manu You're welcome. You made a "wise" decision choosing the V8F. I'm pretty sure you've done your research before choosing this wheel...so from a newbie to a newbie I really have no qualifications to be preaching here... but for me it hits all the sweet spots... Price, quality, weight/portability, pedals, protective cover, form and looks... and did I mention price? yeah I did. lol. 

Truth be told, prior to purchasing my wheels. I thought long and hard. I had set aside budget for only 1 wheel, so it had to be good. After a lot of thinking considering my use case, I decided to use that budget for a Gotway Tesla. To me it was the best value "performance wheel", the V8 was my second choice as the most "value for your money" wheel... but luckily I'm no impulse buyer so I just waited and watched reviews... all of a sudden the V8F came out... an improved V8 with a speed now comparable to the KS16s minus the $300 premium and weight, the large pedals that I WOULD HAVE upgraded to anyways if I chose the v8, and the weight which was only 2 lbs heavier than the predecessor.

So I found myself with around $500 left on my budget... then BAM! Jason announced he was going to sell lower priced versions of the MTen3... Now I know this is not the thread for this so I'm not going to say much. But my friend manu.... that little wheel is just so much fun! So just adding a few more dollars, now, I have my fav daily wheel (V8f - best in its class, to me) and a fun wheel (MTen3). Life is good.

btw, when you get it... I advise learning it using "classic mode" first. When I switched it to "comfort mode", I understood then why evX Mickey said it feels really smooth like hang-gliding, and why speedy feet Ian said about the V10F, like a magic carpet (this attribute is also coz of the tire on the V10f of course among other things). But using comfort mode made me feel like it was too smooth...like sliding smooth/ice skating smooth or whatever, hopefully you get the picture. So I thought, while I'm still learning, I want to feel the ground better. If I turn I want to feel how hard I can turn it at my skill level, etc. Don't know if I'm making sense here... just giving you my 2 cents. Who knows, your experience could be the opposite of mine. Anyway, glad to know a fellow newbie rider. Cheers!

I added some Cowles Red Trim 1/4, Cowles Black Trim 1/4 and Clear protection film on my pedals to help me during this learning curve... just an idea.324444754_pedalprotect.thumb.jpg.c5b972a549ea69ef74510beb1fe32867.jpg 

• Like 2