16x Issues Thread

eucinsea

When I got my new Control Board V1.5 last week I asked KS if I needed the Bluetooth patch. The answer was "not sure". :efee612b4b:

So I made the patch and all is fine until now. 

Since your problems sound exactly like the Bluetooth problems, I would definitely make the patch.

If it doesn't work then you need a new board like me.

On 11/10/2019 at 11:11 PM, buell47 said:

You don't have to stop eWheels from working for that. :efee612b4b:

You can download it from here

No dice, flashed it, restarted.  But after ~6 minutes it nearly forced me off the wheel again with extreme tilt back at low speeds.  I guess it's up for a v1.5 control board.  At least it works without music playing for now.

• Like 1

I think I’m just waiting for someone to tell me that their 16 X blew up a small town or something. It would go something like this. “ I was just riding my 16 X having a great time and then it cut out on me and I immediately face planted on the ground but the wheel kept going by itself into a small town and then blew it up“.  Good grief. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I think I’m just waiting for someone to tell me that their 16 X blew up a small town or something. It would go something like this. “ I was just riding my 16 X having a great time and then it cut out on me and I immediately face planted on the ground but the wheel kept going by itself into a small town and then blew it up“.  Good grief. 

Will not happen... 

It cannot blow up 😉 but it can melt down like a nuclear power plant... That is why you get the extra milage ⚛️😉

• Like 1

So how is the weatherproofing or lack there of? So far it seems to more towards the latter...

I'm considering buying a new 16¨ and being able to ride in the rain is important. (and i don't like the looks of the nikola)

• Like 1

Just to be balanced, above I complained about the BT patch not solving my tilt issue w/music playing -- but otherwise I'm liking the wheel a lot.  I finally mind-melded with it a couple weeks ago.  I was thinking maybe it might be a short affair (wrt feeling) but nah dawg, I'm going to keep it.  I probably won't bother swapping control boards.  Or, I'll wait ~6mo in case v1.5 is superseded.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2019 at 12:19 AM, Mike Sacristan said:

In that case I would choose another wheel. Kingsong engineers themselves have said that it is not designed for heavy rain.
Several riders have had malfunctions because of water. Some are even afraid to ride on wet surfaces.
I have been on plenty of wet surfaces and also light rain and no signs of humidity or water upon opening the wheel at 1900km. 2700km on my wheel now.

Have you considered the 18XL (go for the new one with the 2200w motor).  It is a great wheel. Otherwise you have the V10F which was revised with proper water sealing after the initial release.

Ok, pity they didn't consider that a priority even my 'old' ACM doesn't mind rain... Gues i'll look into other wheels instead unless there are plans om improving this in a next batch?

On 11/19/2019 at 12:19 AM, Mike Sacristan said:

In that case I would choose another wheel. Kingsong engineers themselves have said that it is not designed for heavy rain.
Several riders have had malfunctions because of water. Some are even afraid to ride on wet surfaces.
I have been on plenty of wet surfaces and also light rain and no signs of humidity or water upon opening the wheel at 1900km. 2700km on my wheel now.

Have you considered the 18XL (go for the new one with the 2200w motor).  It is a great wheel. Otherwise you have the V10F which was revised with proper water sealing after the initial release.

I'm looking for a new wheel. I have a V10F and I want something stronger. I have 190cm / 100 kg and 16x attracts me. I like to ride in the woods, where there are also steep hill and downhill. Riding in dust and wet terrain is frequent for me. But it looks like the 16X is an indoor bike with exaggeration ... ?? I'm afraid 18x won't be agile enough. I don't understand why the 16X is not waterproof and dustproof ...!

Edited by jankrsiak
wrong language

15 hours ago, jankrsiak said:

Hledám nové kolo. Mám V10F a chci něco silnějšího. Mám 190cm / 100 kg a 16x mě přitahuje. Ráda jezdím v lesích, kde jsou také strmé svahy a klesání. Časté je pro mě jízda v prachu a vlhkém terénu. Ale vypadá to, že 16X je kolo do interiéru s nadsázkou ... ?? Obávám se, že 18x nebude dost hbitý. Nechápu, proč 16X není vodotěsný a prachotěsný ...!

Gotway Nikola by asi stálo za zvážení, pokud nestačí 16x ochrana proti povětrnostním vlivům. Ale vy jste vysoký jezdec, 18XL vám může dobře dopadnout. Elektrické podložky pomáhají stabilitě při prudkém stoupání.

Mimochodem, pokud si fórum přečtete s aktivovaným překladatelem, vaše odpověď nebude přeložena. Na tomto mezinárodním fóru máme sklon psát anglicky.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Gotway Nikola by asi stálo za zvážení, pokud nestačí 16x ochrana proti povětrnostním vlivům. Ale vy jste vysoký jezdec, 18XL vám může dobře dopadnout. Elektrické podložky pomáhají stabilitě při prudkém stoupání.

Mimochodem, pokud si fórum přečtete s aktivovaným překladatelem, vaše odpověď nebude přeložena. Na tomto mezinárodním fóru máme sklon psát anglicky.

I'm sorry for wrong language. I made repair.. Thanks for the answer.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, sqorgeek@gmail.com said:

I'm new to the electric unicycle scene. Just got my KS16x and it keeps sounding out a twice repetitive beeping sound every few seconds. I can't find anything online about it and connecting it to bluetooth doesn't make it go away. Any suggestions? 

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Here is a link to the user manual: https://support.mykingsong.com/article/126-king-song-16x-electric-unicycle-user-manual-ks-16x

It sounds like you are referring to this:

Model: KS-16X
Top Speed: Can reach up to 50kmph (31mph)
  • Top speed is limited for the first 10 miles, but faster speeds can be unlocked in mobile app once this mileage is reached. 
  • Safety Alarm / Tilt Back Default Settings: 1st alarm at 18km/h, 2nd alarm at 19km/h, pedal tilt at 20km/h

28 minutes ago, sqorgeek@gmail.com said:

I'm new to the electric unicycle scene. Just got my KS16x and it keeps sounding out a twice repetitive beeping sound every few seconds. I can't find anything online about it and connecting it to bluetooth doesn't make it go away. Any suggestions? 

Is this while riding, or when the wheel is stationary?

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, sqorgeek@gmail.com said:

Does it balance when switched on? Did you "unlock" it? It has a transport lock so it won't accidentally switch on in the box.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sqorgeek@gmail.com said:

Stationary. I haven't ridden yet. When I push it back and forth, it goes crazy with even faster beeps then when it's in a stationary position. 

Does it balance (keep itself upright)?

Sounds very much like the behavior when it's locked. There's an unlock button on the main page of the Kingsong app.

@The Fat Unicyclist

19 hours ago, sqorgeek@gmail.com said:

Stationary. I haven't ridden yet. When I push it back and forth, it goes crazy with even faster beeps then when it's in a stationary position. 

17 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Does it balance (keep itself upright)?

Sounds very much like the behavior when it's locked. There's an unlock button on the main page of the Kingsong app.

@The Fat Unicyclist

Thanks for the tag @meepmeepmayer... 

Without a video or anything more to go on, I think I agree with you... When KS ship wheels, they are usually locked (to prevent any damage if the wheel is powered on during transit).

The key observation would be that the wheel isn't self-balancing when powered on - as they don't balance when locked.

So, @sqorgeek@gmail.com, if you haven't already sorted this, let us know - Have you downloaded the app and unlocked the wheel?

• Like 1

If the wheel is locked and you're having trouble getting the app to work (kept crashing on startup after I downloaded it from the google play store on android), I found that downloading it directly from Kingsong's website gave me a stable version of the app.

For the sake of clarity, I would like to summarize what has been solved and changed or remained unclear.
1. Water resistance

2. what control board is now mounted in Ks16x and what revision, what is the problem 1.5?

3. Bluetooth patch is still needed or not, how can you tell?

4. In older videos I found a complaint that ks16x does not have a smart BMS. Is it different now? If she has a smart BMS, how smart is she?

5.From the experience of the owners how to handle high temperatures in the summer? Theoretically, what the manufacturer claims are the best with 88 celsia kingsong, how often it overheats.
How can it work with heat?
For example, NIKOLA PLUS has "only" 66 celsius to overheat, both of which are just PDF data, how is it? I am a heavy rider and I have to solve it.
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, DjPanJan said:
5.From the experience of the owners how to handle high temperatures in the summer? Theoretically, what the manufacturer claims are the best with 88 celsia kingsong, how often it overheats.
For example, NIKOLA PLUS has "only" 66 celsius to overheat, both of which are just PDF data, how is it? I am a heavy rider and I have to solve it.

Well different brands read temperature in different places and goes for amps pulled. In short you can compare 2 wheels on same brands and models, but that is more or less it. Same brand might have different construction and control boards so it is harder to compare. 

So with that covered, I don't live in a hot area so I can't give you data to top temperature of operation. 

I have yet to have a wheel to complain about overheating. And I don't run at top speed nor super aggressive riding (normally) as it is a waste of battery/range with added risks. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 4:28 PM, DjPanJan said:

Of all the wheels available on the market, KS16X is one of the best for NOT overheating. Check out Marty's review on YouTube. He is not a heavy set rider, but he has consistently tested different wheels for Overheating (Overheat Hill). I would differently consider the Nikola Plus, Monster and KS16X. I've the KS16X (only wheel I ever owned). Never overheat on me because we don't have challenging hills in Texas.

• Like 1