THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

re: dog attack. I carry a 3 ft, 1m stick.  I had to swing it at two separate dogs on one ride, the other day.  1 st one ran out of a front yard as I wheels by. 2nd one was like the video, irresponsible owner with no leash.  He kept stalking me After I first fended him off, so I turned and moved towards him, stick held high.  His owners came quickly to recover him after that.  I WILL NOT BE THE VICTIM OF A DOG BITE. PERIOD!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

's MSuper V3s+ failed today while we were climbing (see earlier video with dog attack). He didn't injure himself or the wheel, but it stopped balancing. Power was on and we could connect to it via the app, but nothing else. He had a loooong walk down the mountain :(   Vic says that he heard some rattling inside the wheel so he thinks (hopes) that a cable came loose :o

That stinks! Everyone's worst nightmare having to slow walk their wheel back to home base! What was the distance he walked?

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

@jrkline and @swvision joined me on some steep mountain riding with my Monster. It climbs OK but there's not a lot of torque. You need to really lean into it and have faith that you won't get dumped (I didn't). The trail riding is very smooth.

Surprised to hear you notice lower torque with the monster. It makes sense with the bigger diameter tire, but I still expected the monster to brute force that with power. Oh well, you have your ACM for torque then;) (it's probably a tiny bit better than the 18'' msuperV3?)

--

About the dog, lucky Marty didn't fall! This is a prime example of a bad dog owner - no leash, barely any reaction other than a weak shout (does not look like she has authority over the dog).If you had confronted her, I expect she would have been indignant and "he usually does not do this" or whatever the excuse is.

@Smoother I think things like that warrant calling the police. You're not doing it for you, you're doing it for everyone. Some people only learn if you don't give them any slack. Sad for the dog if it's just a shitty owner, but that's on the owner.

--

When you find out why the msuper failed, please tell us!

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

That stinks! Everyone's worst nightmare having to slow walk their wheel back to home base! What was the distance he walked?

Probably ~1-2 miles and ~1000 feet of twisting rutted sanding dirt - he said it was tough

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Surprised to hear you notice lower torque with the monster. It makes sense with the bigger diameter tire, but I still expected the monster to brute force that with power. Oh well, you have your ACM for torque then;) (it's probably a tiny bit better than the 18'' msuperV3?)

--

About the dog, lucky Marty didn't fall! This is a prime example of a bad dog owner - no leash, barely any reaction other than a weak shout (does not look like she has authority over the dog).If you had confronted her, I expect she would have been indignant and "he usually does not do this" or whatever the excuse is.

@Smoother I think things like that warrant calling the police. You're not doing it for you, you're doing it for everyone. Some people only learn if you don't give them any slack. Sad for the dog if it's just a shitty owner, but that's on the owner.

--

When you find out why the msuper failed, please tell us!

All of us ACM owners (3 on this ride) agree that the ACM is by far the best hill climber - lots of torque. Actually, the Monster is very similar to the MSuper V3, which is not such a great hill climber either.

I did stop eventually to wait for @jrkline and @swvision. The owner eventually walked by with the dog firmly on a lease. She was very apologetic. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

All of us ACM owners (3 on this ride) agree that the ACM is by far the best hill climber - lots of torque. Actually, the Monster is very similar to the MSuper V3, which is not such a great hill climber either.

Isn't the ACM and msuperv3 the same motor (both 67 and 84V versions)? Does the 2'' difference in wheel size make such a difference? That's crazy. How is your Kingsong 14'' in comparison?

Glad to hear I bought the right wheel for the mountains here! Are you going to use the ACM or monster (after the honeymoon phase of course) for mountains like in your ride videos?

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I did stop eventually to wait for @jrkline and @swvision. The owner eventually walked by with the dog firmly on a lease. She was very apologetic. 

Well,that's something then:)

Edited by meepmeepmayer

16 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Isn't the ACM and msuperv3 the same motor (both 67 and 84V versions)? Does the 2'' difference in wheel size make such a difference? That's crazy. How is your Kingsong 14'' in comparison?

Glad to hear I bought the right wheel for the mountains here! Are you going to use the ACM or monster (after the honeymoon phase of course) for mountains like in your ride videos?

Apparently they do share the same motors, but the difference between them is night and day. The MSuper is a slower accelerator and you really have to lean into it when climbing. You'll see that other people have made similar comments. If I'm going to be doing a lot of hill climbing I will probably always take the ACM. But the MSuper is a smoother ride on trails because of its bigger tire.

All wheels have their place and if you have a choice (I have a nice 14, 16, 18, and 22 inch wheel) it comes down to how you feel any given day. Like having a closet full of clothes to pick from :D

The KS14C is a better steep hill climber than the MSuper, but it doesn't hold a candle to the ACM. The ACM can climb hills that the KS14C will eventually give up on, and it'll probably overheat in the process.

The ACM (particularly the 84v version) is the best wheel made, IMHO.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Yeah, and I'm of the opinion that if you had called the police, then others might call them on you, and so on...  It's quite possible that the police would be against the wheel and not the dog owner.  It is California, so you never know which direction it might go.

Plus the fact that we were 1-2 miles on a trail, 1000+ feet up. It would have to be a park ranger and in this case, technically bicycles aren't allowed on this particular trail. Fortunately when riding trails rangers are not out there - it's every man for himself :o

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Apparently they do share the same motors, but the difference between them is night and day. The MSuper is a slower accelerator and you really have to lean into it when climbing. You'll see that other people have made similar comments. If I'm going to be doing a lot of hill climbing I will probably always take the ACM. But the MSuper is a smoother ride on trails because of its bigger tire.

All wheels have their place and if you have a choice (I have a nice 14, 16, 18, and 22 inch wheel) it comes down to how you feel any given day. Like having a closet full of clothes to pick from :D

The KS14C is a better steep hill climber than the MSuper, but it doesn't hold a candle to the ACM. The ACM can climb hills that the KS14C will eventually give up on, and it'll probably overheat in the process.

The ACM (particularly the 84v version) is the best wheel made, IMHO.

@meepmeepmayer Bigger wheels have a much less torque and a complete different ride Feeling.

When i had only a KS14 and got my KS18 then, the huge difference somehow even made me first dissapointed with the KS18...but only first B)

So After a while you get used to this difference and learn that you have to lean in more on a bigger wheel....

Nowadays i would never go back to a 14inch.....as the KS18 is (exept for the GW 84Volt Versions, Marty is totally right) on of the strongest wheels available. I have not found a hill where it can not go on....

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Yeah, and I'm of the opinion that if you had called the police, then others might call them on you, and so on...  It's quite possible that the police would be against the wheel and not the dog owner.  It is California, so you never know which direction it might go.

True.  And to comment on @meepmeepmayer s thoughts, I'm in a foreign (to me country) so 1, I'm not sure what number to call, 2. What do I say to foreign dispatchers, 3. How long will I have to wait? 4. Dog owners were walking, so do I follow them?  5. How do I keep the police updated on our moving location?  After all that, if the cops do show up, and the local dog owner tells some crap about how I tried to run his dog over, who's going to jail ?  No, I start swinging my stick and if their face gets close enough they're  going to lose some teeth, and I won't lose any sleep over it.  You have a right to defend yourself against a dog attack, BEFORE you get bitten.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

@steve454 pepper spray works very well on dogs.  I used to ride my bike by a place that had a Rottweiler that would break loose and chase me. I was faster than the dog but after the second time I bought pepper spray. The next time the dog got a face full when it was close and it just about did a summersault.  The dog never chased me again.  I did this mostly for the dogs safety as it would eventually get run over or cause an accident

I have a dog, so it hurts to hear this, and I'd hate to have it happen to her, but I totally agree.  She should not chase, so if a face full of pepper spray works, then I'm for it as it leaves no permanent damage, but gets the point across well.  Would only take ONE time for sure, except for those VERY persistent dogs.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

See follow-up report (it ain't good) by Vic: 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Jetson's effect...

I heard a whoosing or zooming sound, not a whine.  Very cool use of the Ninebot, looks futuristic.  I had been looking for that commercial since someone mentioned it a few weeks ago.  Very funny commercial, would have been good for the SuperBowl.

@Marty Backe - you got mad skilz to avoid that dog!  You can see the whole Gotway Monster tilt as you do a sharp veer to the left.  Probably not an easy thing with that heavy of a wheel!  I had a smaller, angry dog chase me for quite a distance.  I kept rolling as I don't think it would have been able to bite my ankle or calf or anything.  It finally gave up after about 100 m.  Right after another one ended up chasing after me for a bit.  There must be something irresistable about the electric motor high pitched whine that sets these canines off.  Good thing you didn't crash and everything ended up okay.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@Marty Backe - you got mad skilz to avoid that dog!  You can see the whole Gotway Monster tilt as you do a sharp veer to the left.  Probably not an easy thing with that heavy of a wheel!  I had a smaller, angry dog chase me for quite a distance.  I kept rolling as I don't think it would have been able to bite my ankle or calf or anything.  It finally gave up after about 100 m.  Right after another one ended up chasing after me for a bit.  There must be something irresistable about the electric motor high pitched whine that sets these canines off.  Good thing you didn't crash and everything ended up okay.

Thanks :)  It was very startling as I obviously didn't expect it. But I decided to focus on moving forward and ignore the animal nipping at my feet. Not sure what would have happened if it was a bigger more tenacious dog.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Had some fun with my new ACM V2s - my favorite wheel without a doubt :thumbup:

Excellent video, review and tour! Nice to see California's drainage canals finally filled with water again! Excited to receive my ACM!

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks :)  It was very startling as I obviously didn't expect it. But I decided to focus on moving forward and ignore the animal nipping at my feet. Not sure what would have happened if it was a bigger more tenacious dog.

The trouble with dogs is that some of them see us as coursing prey, or as good practice for it. 

Always stop, turn and face them. They aren't expecting that, and they don't know what to do, so usually stop chasing and their owners can catch up and put them on a lead like they should have been in the first place ;)

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Blunzn said:

ok now it gets interesting ... after dji brought us drones and tracking abilities ... Vespa is giving us a f***ing fridge who can follow and drive up to 22mph :) 

the user wears either a belt or if the driving backpack mapped the route already it can even drive autonomous ...

PS: not sure if its really a fridge ... but there will be beer inside thats for sure :)

Oh wow I need one of those. Function musicians who have to do gear load-ins / outs to venues, that is a proper godsend. I wonder if it can carry my 160 KG master keyboard ?

Edited by Cerbera