THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

14 minutes ago, swvision said:

Great video! The monster looks like it could eat up all the trails. I'm going to test out some trails tomorrow before the Superbowl at Granada Hills. 

Yes, keep scouting for good trails that we can ride. I think there are some good trails just north of where I stopped today - I'll be testing them soon.

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Quote you " 65 miles, I could live with that". Yeah, I guess that would do in a pinch ?

' feels slow at 12 mpg, like you're going to fall off'  I wish I had that problem.

I love the activity behind you starting around 10:20 priceless.

On 2 February 2017 at 10:50 AM, who_the said:

Looking forward to a wooden shell on your Monster!

@Marty Backe I read this a few days ago and thought, ha ha. But reading it again ( I REALLY need to get a life) I was thinking, that would be really cool.  Some sort of '30s era French automotive boat inspired,  inspired swoopy boat tail gorgeous thing, made out of beautiful woods.  That would be awesome!  Rolling sculpture.  Just gut a spare wheel you have lying around, and Bobs your uncle.

you could even start a side business sculpting one off wheel shells for well heeled clients.  I'd need a long payment plan, and favourable rates. ☹️

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 1

@Marty Backe Wow you are very happy with the new wheel that's obvious! Looks like this might be you new favorite EUC. For these long-and-far big tours you like to do (city into mountains and back etc) it seems perfect (especially if it's more stable).

Can I ask some questions for comparison?

1. You say your natural speed is 22 with the monster. What is your natural speed with the other wheels you have (KS14, ACM16, msuper18)?

2. What are the ranges you have in mind regarding your other wheels, compared to the 65 with the monster?

3. Your new jacket is some kind of special motorcycle jacket, or just a leather jacket?

4. What ride time would you consider too long for one go (with no or only very short breaks)? Looks like your typical long rides are about 3h?

And the curious scooter boy trying to get into contact with you was cute:)

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

@Marty Backereally nice video! enjoyed it a lot.

@Smoother yeah, been thinking about that a lot the past days. Beein a woodworker myself, it woud be great to replace my beaten up lhotz shell with a selfmade wood shell. However, making it would be a crapload of work. But it could be made to accomodate even more batteries.. hmm... the other question is, how sturdy would that wood shell be, probably needs a coat of fibreglass, and how much will it weight?

• Upvote 2

As usual Marty, awesome video!  Just wondering how your legs and feet feel after 65 miles?  I ride the latest Kingsong KS18 1680Wh wheel which I believe has similar range (not nearly as fast) but I have never taken it past 20 miles.  One of these days, I would love to come down to Southern California and join you and your buddies on one your trail rides.  Keep up the great work and thanks for your contribution to the EUC community.  I always look forward to your videos.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Clovis said:

One of these days, I would love to come down to Southern California and join you and your buddies on one your trail rides.

@Clovis - Are you also in California?  I'm near Sacramento, so if you are close and if you want to get together for rides, I'm always looking for someone to ride with.

12 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

@Clovis - Are you also in California?  I'm near Sacramento, so if you are close and if you want to get together for rides, I'm always looking for someone to ride with.

Unfortunately, no.  I used to live in Northern California (San Jose), but have moved to Arizona.   It seems like all the EUC riders are in California.  If I ever get back to that area on vacation, I'll drop you a note.  Thanks for the invite and for also your great videos too!  This has got to be the best Forum on the internet.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Smoother said:

<snip>

I love the activity behind you starting around 10:20 priceless.

I didn't notice him trying to follow me until I was editing the video. I should have let him catch me at least once ;)

1 hour ago, Clovis said:

As usual Marty, awesome video!  Just wondering how your legs and feet feel after 65 miles?  I ride the latest Kingsong KS18 1680Wh wheel which I believe has similar range (not nearly as fast) but I have never taken it past 20 miles.  One of these days, I would love to come down to Southern California and join you and your buddies on one your trail rides.  Keep up the great work and thanks for your contribution to the EUC community.  I always look forward to your videos.

My feet were OK, but my knees were bothering me. I'm 56 and my legs can't take the abuse that they used to :crying:  If you ever make it here during a weekend drop me/us a line and we can plan a ride. I have lots of trails scouted out now for any kind of desired conditions.

Edited by Marty Backe

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

My feet were OK, but my knees were bothering me. I'm 56 and my legs can't take the abuse that they used to

That's my issue too.  50 yrs old here.  I use Knee Braces and that helps quite a bit (When I remember them).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smoother said:

I'm putting this statement together with your comment a week ago about how you like to inflate your tires to a high pressure.  May I suggest that you try a lower pressure?

here's why: I pumped my ks14 up to the max ( to optimise range on my tiny 340wh battery). I rode everywhere like that including rocky mountain trails, but I was aware I was bouncing off everything like a ping pong ball.  Then over time the pressure leaked out and I discovered that ( as others have stated) the ride got considerably smoother.  Gravel tracks with small rocks felt like polished concrete, and bigger rocks got absorbed by the give in the tire.  I'm  hooked, on about 45 psi now.

one other thought: you said high pressure equals fewer punctures, but I feel that if the tire gives as it rides over things then it will give as it rides over sharp rocks, etc, rather than stay rigid and force you to apply all your weight to it, and possibly pushing it through the tire.  Try it and see if your knees like it.

My 2 c

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably try the ACM with lower pressure. The Monster is at 32 psi and feels like it has good flexibility. With the Monster I think it's harder on your legs because it's more of a workout whenever you're not going in a straight line.

1 hour ago, SuperSport said:

That's my issue too.  50 yrs old here.  I use Knee Braces and that helps quite a bit (When I remember them).

So both you and @Marty Backe have knees issues! Me too! Not sure why I am so resistant to wear knee braces as I provide them all the time to my patients. Since I started practicing to ride on one leg my knee feels like it was going to blow out! Not sure the ace type wrap @meepmeepmayer suggested will offer enough support. I need something with both medial and lateral stability but unfortunately those braces tend to get bulky. I should just forget about riding one legged!

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably try the ACM with lower pressure.

What is your current tire pressure on the ACM 84v? As @Smoother stated a lower pressure might help reduce the impact on your knees during those long rides. Let me know about the pressure. I'll try it out when the new ACM arrives.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Tilmann said:

Here is me shivering on Tempelhof airfield at 3° Centigrade proudly showing off my newest achievement: a 3D printed mudguard for my beloved Msuper V3:

The print file is free. So, add some 70 grams of plastic and you're in business. Enjoy and let me know, whether you like it.

Details are here:

That is extremely cool. I love the pop-in design. You could sells those. I don't do 3D printing or know anybody who does so I'm out-of-luck :crying:. I would buy one in a heart-beat.

Even if it slips a little, that could be fixed with a small dab of silicon.

Such a simple and effective design. There must have been a lot of behinds the scenes work to make this happen - something we 'viewers' gloss over sometimes.

The Monster really needs one too - yesterday I was riding through some deep mud and it went everywhere :(

Great video btw.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

So both you and @Marty Backe have knees issues! Me too! Not sure why I am so resistant to wear knee braces as I provide them all the time to my patients. Since I started practicing to ride on one leg my knee feels like it was going to blow out! Not sure the ace type wrap @meepmeepmayer suggested will offer enough support. I need something with both medial and lateral stability but unfortunately those braces tend to get bulky. I should just forget about riding one legged!

What is your current tire pressure on the ACM 84v? As @Smoother stated a lower pressure might help reduce the impact on your knees during those long rides. Let me know about the pressure. I'll try it out when the new ACM arrives.

I may try some knee support, but so far it only occurs with the Monster. So I want to give it some time to see if my riding style adjusts or my body adjusts.

I put max air in all my tires. For the ACM I believe that's 65. I haven't yet tried it at the lower end, but I haven't experience knee pain with ACM yet.

• Upvote 1

Hi @Marty Backe, thanks for the flowers! Seen and liked your Monster test rides! 60+ degrees and a Monster to play with - I envy you :thumbup:

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't do 3D printing or know anybody who does so I'm out-of-luck :crying:.

No, you're not. Just google "3D Print Service", and I'm pretty sure, you will find a commercial service, which will print one for you at about $20 incl. shipment. Unfortunately; I don't have access to a V3S+. So I can't tell, whether the mudguard fits. If you dare trying it anyway, please let us know!

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Tilmann said:

Hi @Marty Backe, thanks for the flowers! Seen and liked your Monster test rides! 60+ degrees and a Monster to play with - I envy you :thumbup:

No, you're not. Just google "3D Print Service", and I'm pretty sure, you will find a commercial service, which will print one for you at about $20 incl. shipment. Unfortunately; I don't have access to a V3S+. So I can't tell, whether the mudguard fits. If you dare trying it anyway, please let us know!

Thanks - I'll do a search.  I have the 820wh V3 like you.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

I'm putting this statement together with your comment a week ago about how you like to inflate your tires to a high pressure.  May I suggest that you try a lower pressure?

here's why: I pumped my ks14 up to the max ( to optimise range on my tiny 340wh battery). I rode everywhere like that including rocky mountain trails, but I was aware I was bouncing off everything like a ping pong ball.  Then over time the pressure leaked out and I discovered that ( as others have stated) the ride got considerably smoother.  Gravel tracks with small rocks felt like polished concrete, and bigger rocks got absorbed by the give in the tire.  I'm  hooked, on about 45 psi now.

one other thought: you said high pressure equals fewer punctures, but I feel that if the tire gives as it rides over things then it will give as it rides over sharp rocks, etc, rather than stay rigid and force you to apply all your weight to it, and possibly pushing it through the tire.  Try it and see if your knees like it.

My 2 c

quote you "I never really have problems with my feet any more, unless I'm riding the KS14C."  Really! Why is that? 

@Marty Backe you ARE a 3D printer...for wood.  Just carve one out of wood and paint it black. Maybe you could carve a gargoyle into it or the face of an angry cat, to scare off the dogs.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Smoother said:

@Marty Backe you ARE a 3D printer...for wood.  Just carve one out of wood and paint it black. Maybe you could carve a gargoyle into it or the face of an angry cat, to scare off the dogs.

Thanks for that vote of confidence - and the gargoyle is a great idea :D   Unfortunately, fabricating symmetrical 3D objects such as this is not an easy task in wood. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for that vote of confidence - and the gargoyle is a great idea :D   Unfortunately, fabricating symmetrical 3D objects such as this is not an easy task in wood. 

DISAPPOINTED!! People keep talking about your mad skills in the wood shop, I'm thinking a 4" gargoyle, how hard can that be,

and then this! I have no more heroes. ?

• Upvote 1