THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

On 1/30/2017 at 6:09 AM, Marty Backe said:

A little excitement while riding my new Monster in the mountains

A similar situation happened to me today but instead of barking - bite to my calf. Nothing serious, just made me consider that I'm actually more vulnerable to untrained dogs while EUC riding because otherwise most of the dogs are afraid of me :)

This one came very silent from behind and I realized of it's presence by hearing some shouts "NO, NO, NO", just before the bite.

Did not bother to take any action towards the female owner, not much sense,  I just flew away. 

IMG_20170216_320.jpg

• Upvote 2

I had one bite my leg a week or so ago. Grabbed on and held on. Threw me right to the ground. I also didn't make a big deal of it, even though that was my first real crash. Tiny scrapes on wheel and torn pants/socks from teeth, and torn gloves from fall. I'll live with that.  The lady was super sorry.  It wasn't right, but I felt bad for her too. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DS said:

A similar situation happened to me today but instead of barking - bite to my calf. Nothing serious, just made me consider that I'm actually more vulnerable to untrained dogs while EUC riding because otherwise most of the dogs are afraid of me :)

This one came very silent from behind and I realized of it's presence by hearing some shouts "NO, NO, NO", just before the bite.

Did not bother to take any action towards the female owner, not much sense,  I just flew away. 

IMG_20170216_320.jpg

29 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

I had one bite my leg a week or so ago. Grabbed on and held on. Threw me right to the ground. I also didn't make a big deal of it, even though that was my first real crash. Tiny scrapes on wheel and torn pants/socks from teeth, and torn gloves from fall. I'll live with that.  The lady was super sorry.  It wasn't right, but I felt bad for her too. 

Did you guys check if your latest vaccination against tetanus was >10year ago?

1 minute ago, Jurgen said:

Fortunately, mine didn't break the skin, only tore my pants and socks. I was also wearing my motorcycle jacket with padding inside, otherwise my elbow or shoulder might've been in bad shape  as I landed on those too. 

It happened so quickly, there was no time to decide how I was going to hit the ground. I'm glad I had my jacket on, and I try to wear it most rides. Along with my helmet.

30 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Fortunately, mine didn't break the skin, only tore my pants and socks.

Quite opposite in my case. As you can see from the pic a have some skin injury but nothing on my double layers pants except the dog's saliva traces. 

"Grabbed on and held on. Threw me right to the ground. I also didn't make a big deal of it, ....."

Wow, that sounds serious. I'm afraid I would be much more aggressive than you in such a situation...not to the lady but to the dog :(

34 minutes ago, Jurgen said:

Mine tetanus vaccination is from 2010, but in this case the teeth did not penetrate through the cloth...I believe. Thanks for reminding :)

Edited by DS

On 2/8/2017 at 6:19 AM, Duf said:

I watch you on youtube all the time. Im the only person in my area so I always watch other riders. I like you Bro. Please dont do this again. You could faceplant and break a leg and those 60 or so gators I counted all have a nice little morsel to fight over, Please there are not enough of us. we need you in 1 piece.  Or just imagine a flat tire in front of Mr.Giant Alligator!!!

• Upvote 1

Dog attacks. This is getting out of hand. @SuperSport you were thrown to the ground and your clothing damaged, including your expensive motorcycle jacket and you let her off !!! Her irresponsible behaviour could have put you in the hospital or morgue.  People like this need to be made to pay for their actions, or they don't learn. I'm tired of irresponsible dog owners foisting the results of their pet choice on the rest of us.

i always keep my eyes on ever dog I pass, especially those untethered or on those infernal 4 m leads.  It takes them a moment to figure out what you are ( benign or prey) and then they spring into action, often  from behind.  I have my stick poised, ready to strike.

a dog once snuck up and bit me in the ass.  It was non EUC but during the Katrina hurricane fiasco. There was a shortage of tetanus shots I guess because it cost me $700 to get a shot.  Did I mention I don't like dogs?

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 2

Just as we have a responsibility to make sure that the objects we have brought with us are safely under our control and not harming anyone, dog owners have the same responsibility with their 'objects' too. However, 75% of the dogs I encounter are not on leads, and their owners seem to consider that state of affairs to be absolutely fine.

A lot of the time it is fine, but it's always horrible to read about when it's not.

If I get chased by dogs I always stop, turn and face them, which, so far, has always resulted in the dog stopping too (mainly out of surprise that you are no longer 'running'), and allows the owner to catch up, deploy lead etc...

But I think the most useful / safe thing we can do as riders is to have a finger-bell, or some other alert system that tells dog and owner that we are here long before we get near them.

That way, hopefully rider is not seen by dog as threat to owner because owner is comfortable that something is coming and knows they need to move both themselves and the dog to one side of the path so you can safely pass. Whilst it's hardly long-standing evidence, I do notice that I haven't been chased by a dog once since I've had the finger-bell thing.

These sort of incidents also make a good case for lower body armour and decent boots. If that shitty little Jack Russell had tried to bite me there, he would have broken his teeth on some weapons-grade ankle protectors ! It's such a shame @DS didn't see him coming - surely a GW Monster should be able to easily outrun a tiny little yappy dog like that, but only if you know it's coming ! :) 

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

It's such a shame @DS didn't see him coming - surely a GW Monster should be able to easily outrun a tiny little yappy dog like that, but only if you know it's coming ! :) 

You might get it wrong. The video with chasing dog is not mine. I ride KS16 and usually outrun dogs but in this case I was not aware of it.

Wearing a thick winter hat and ski glasses made me a bit distant from the reality :)

I already ordered two ultrasonic dog repellers and while waiting for them I'm considering to play continuously ultrasonic sound from the KS16 speakers...which might is not so clever idea provided that I will stress ALL the dogs passing by. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, DS said:

You might get it wrong. The video with chasing dog is not mine. I ride KS16 and usually outrun dogs but in this case I was not aware of it.

Wearing a thick winter hat and ski glasses made me a bit distant from the reality :)

I already ordered two ultrasonic dog repellers and while waiting for them I'm considering to play continuously ultrasonic sound from the KS16 speakers...which might is not so clever idea provided that I will stress ALL the dogs passing by. 

Oh yeah, I missed that, sorry :) Yeah, don't stress the dogs all the time - only when they are running directly at you :)

• Upvote 1

I totally agree about the finger bell.  I normally say out loud that I'm passing on right or left.  This time I failed to get her attention fully.  Since I'm on a GotWay V3, the wheel does usually get a dog's attention automatically with the whistle sound.  I also totally agree about dogs being on a leash when in public.  I LOVE allowing my dog to run, but not around other people or animals.  Things happen too quickly.  It's only allowed on private property, or in an off leash park.

Also, in my dogs case, she would outrun a wheel in 99% of the cases.  She's quite fast.

It's funny, but normally, only the small dogs leap at me when I go by.  I always fear the small ones.  This time, the dog was around 65 lbs.  Just under my dogs size.  Again, I think it was due to the lady being frightened when I passed and he was protecting Mom.  Still no excuse, but a reason.

• Upvote 3

@LuckySXM now that's how to start your posting history: off road, drone footage, cute little dog,  beautiful day, Caribbean island, blue water, naked fat man !  WHAT, A NAKED FAT MAN!!!

Were you referring to his uncovered goin when you named this video "In Motion V 8 on the ROCKS " ?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, LuckySXM said:

A fun ride in a Caribbean island on rough terrain.

That was fun, but you looked over dressed ;)  Your video reminds me why I want to get a drone - that's the perfect kind of cinematography that I'd like to explore. I love all of those low level shots. Oh yes, and your poor dog - he got a workout! :)

• Upvote 1

@SuperSport I used both modes, but the gps follow me mode worked much better, because it followed me automatically while I just corrected the altitude every once in a while, allowing me to focus somewhat on my riding ;) The drone is a Bebop 2. I tried with my Phantom 4 Pro, but it doesn't track as well as the Parrot ! Who would have thought that... My dog is a female Chihuahua, and the thing she loves most in life is running full speed. Would you believe that after this ride when I came back home she had a little sleep (and drank a lot of water), but when she woke up, wanted to go outside for a walk and then started running again with no purpose other than sheer fun, while I watched her with my jaws dropping, not believing the output of energy she was having after the morning run...

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, LuckySXM said:

The drone is a Bebop 2.

Great low level filming, much more interesting than far away view.  The parrot drone has no gimble right, the camera is fixed?  Amazing sharpness with no jello effect, does the drone point the camera using the rotors only?

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That was fun, but you looked over dressed ;)  Your video reminds me why I want to get a drone - that's the perfect kind of cinematography that I'd like to explore. I love all of those low level shots. Oh yes, and your poor dog - he got a workout! :)

Hi, as I explained above, the dog was ok, she loves it. I have done this ride many times before, and much faster, but managing the drone at the same time was a little stressing, to say the least... But in the end it's rewarding because I came up with some cool footage. I just wish I could do it with my Phantom 4 Pro because of it's incredible image quality, but it failed miserably at tracking me at close range at those speed (which in reality is not that fast). Lame.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Great low level filming, much more interesting than far away view.  The parrot drone has no gimble right, the camera is fixed?  Amazing sharpness with no jello effect, does the drone point the camera using the rotors only?

No gimbal, just rotating with rotors for horizontal framing and electronic reframing for vertical adjustments, all in real time in the drone. The Bebop 2 never fails to impress me. Plus it is a super fun drone to use. No fuss, cheap, good battery life, nice speed, very nimble yet stable. The only downside is the image quality. If you think that's good, then you should see the footage from Phantom 4 Pro with it's gimbal and 1inch sensor... amazing ! But I use it more for still shots when I have time and patience. My grab and go drone is the Bebop.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Smoother said:

@LuckySXM now that's how to start your posting history: off road, drone footage, cute little dog,  beautiful day, Caribbean island, blue water, naked fat man !  WHAT, A NAKED FAT MAN!!!

Were you referring to his uncovered goin when you named this video "In Motion V 8 on the ROCKS " ?

I doubt we could call his equipment "Rocks".

"Pebbles", maybe... -_-

• Upvote 2

I too have the BeBop 2, FPV package. I'm still learning the ins and outs of it. It's been raining a lot lately, so haven't been out as much as I'd like.  That's why I was wondering which mode you used, it worked quite well.

It truly is a fantastic flying drone. I've had the opportunity to fly the DJI Mavic Pro recently.  They fly VERY similarly.  The Mavic is a tiny bit more stable, but not much. The Mavic Video is WAY superior, but, like you, I'm comfortable bringing the Parrot along everywhere. It's super easy to fly, cheap, and very durable.  It's also modular, so if something breaks, it's easy to repair. And, the video is acceptable for most of what I do.  The complete package including the BeBop 2, FPV Goggles, and SkyController 2 was $499 out the door. Cannot beat that!

I will be testing the follow me quite a bit more once the weather gets better.  I've only had one opportunity to try it, worked fairly well, and now with the latest firmware update, it is supposed to be slightly better.

I understand the dog's energy also. I have a German Shepherd. Just when I think she's tired and will rest, she gets another burst of energy. If only I could bottle that.  

First Follow Me test.