THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

5 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Believe whatever you want to believe.

If Garmin is calling this part themselves a lens, I will call it a lens too.

From an optical design perfective it IS a lens. For a non-spherical camera, a flat cover glass is also considered a lens,. They are both part of the optical prescription. They both have an effect on the incident light.

But that's a rather academic definition, and not what's at question here.

The question is, did Garmin take an off the shelf spherical lens and add on this dome, or did they co-design the two together?

If they took the first approach, they are degrading the performance (whether the dome is glass or plastic). If they took the second approach, they could have minimized the loss in performance (to a large degree).

I suspect they would have take first path, as their sales volumes aren't high enough to justify something completely custom.

What they did could be determined by measuring the optical performance of the lens with and without the dome.

I might actually have my team do that. I don't think we've tested Garmin's lens yet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Yes your correct but the newer X cover will be far superior than the current version.

I'm looking at the dome in the photo above which appears to be the one for the One X. I can see the OLED screen.

It's fundamentally compromised by the dome size. This is not just about manufacturing quality. It's limited by physics.

Chooch Tech Full Review & Thoughts on the 100V MSX!

Edited by Edddeus

1 hour ago, Edddeus said:

Choice Tech Full Review & Thoughts on the 100V MSX!

Chooch is no engineer, that's for sure. But I love his passion.

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Chooch is no engineer, that's for sure. But I love his passion.

Is it really true that the reverse diode @Jason McNeilrequested limits the charging? Gotway wheels already consider themselves 100% full at around 4.1V per cell, so that's more than 5% usable battery/real range lost compared to 4.2V. But you can charge to 4.2V by keeping the charger in for an hour or two after it has gone green. If the reverse diode really stops that and 98% is the max, that comes out to ~10% usable battery capacity/real range lost!!!

I'm hoping from the rest of the video (where he indeed is "no engineer") that it's not true. Can these special ewheels Gotways with the reverse diode be charged to 4.2V? You have such an msX, any idea?

Otherwise it's a great video, you're right that his enthusiasm really shows. He's also a great figurehead for possible new riders.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
numbers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Can these special ewheels Gotways with the reverse diode be charged to 4.2V? You have such an msX, any idea?

Yes, a protection charge Diode can lead to the effect that About 0,6Volt dont reach the BMS.

Trick would be to open the charger and set the charger About 0,6Volt higher…..

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, US69 said:

Yes, a protection charge Diode can lead to the effect that About 0,6Volt dont reach the BMS.

Trick would be to open the charger and set the charger About 0,6Volt higher…..

Modifying the charger sounds dangerous. Accidentally plug it into another wheel and you might start a nice fire.

@Marty Backe Thanks or the info. Looks like it may depend on the specific diode maybe? One would need a charge doctor or similar energy counting gizmo to test how much more it charges after the light goes green, and if wheels with vs. without diode show a difference how much you can charge after the green light.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Modifying the charger sounds dangerous. Accidentally plug it into another wheel and you might start a nice fire.

@Marty Backe Thanks or the info. Looks like it may depend on the specific diode maybe? One would need a charge doctor or similar energy counting gizmo to test how much more it charges after the light goes green, and if wheels with vs. without diode show a difference how much you can charge after the green light.

Nope..not dangerous at all.

Nearly all chargers have a small screw where you can adjust the fine voltage.

And if this charger than is 0,6 Volt to high...exactly for that we have a BMS that is a protection against overcharge!

Edited by US69
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, stephen said:

My msx only ever charges to 95% I've had it to 96% once i have a normal charger and a 5amp charger with same results 🙄 does this sound right

I'm with @US69 - that doesn't seem right. Using the Gotway Android app and WheelLog I get a reported 100-percent charge everytime.

What does Ian have to say about it?

@stephen, @Marty Backe , @US69My 100V Monster, Chooch tech 100V MSX and others with similar wheels behaves the same. They say that this could be due to the reverse diode.

Screenshot_20181116-005534.png

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Edddeus said:

@stephen, @Marty Backe , @US69My 100V Monster, Chooch tech 100V MSX and others with similar wheels behaves the same. They say that this could be due to the reverse diode.

Screenshot_20181116-005534.png

Yeah, probably it IS the reverse Diode...but the Right Thing would be to get the voltage of the charge adjusted About 0,5 or 0,6Volt higher! 

So that the BMS has a Chance to balance the cells. Normally you would exspect the Producer/GW todo that(Charger adjusting), as it is no secret that the reverse Diode brings the voltage down :-)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Edddeus said:

9 minutes ago, US69 said:

Yeah, probably it IS the reverse Diode...but the Right Thing would be to get the voltage of the charge adjusted About 0,5 or 0,6Volt higher! 

As little "introduction" for charger adjustment: 

But i'd personally would first check the voltage of the battery and compare it with the voltage reported by the wheel. For the sake of the battery i would not trust the reported voltage - as @palachzzz has reported many wheels with voltage measurement off.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chriull said:

But i'd personally would first check the voltage of the battery and compare it with the voltage reported by the wheel.

Yes, Sure!!! Adjusting the charger only after exact checks of battery and charger! 

I mean you HAVE to...you cant just screw on the adjusting screw without measuring :-) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm with @US69 - that doesn't seem right. Using the Gotway Android app and WheelLog I get a reported 100-percent charge everytime.

What does Ian have to say about it?

With wheel log i get 95% with gotway app I'll have to check it again i think it says 100 but gotway app doesn't go up in increments of one if I'm correct🤔 , I'll message Ian and see what he says ,, also my battery goes down to 80-84% after about 5-7 miles that's always puzzled me also .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stephen said:

With wheel log i get 95% with gotway app I'll have to check it again i think it says 100 but gotway app doesn't go up in increments of one if I'm correct🤔 , I'll message Ian and see what he says ,, also my battery goes down to 80-84% after about 5-7 miles that's always puzzled me also .

Look at the exact voltage number the app is telling you. 

A fully charged Wheel should show -at least- 83,5 Volt...and can  be up to 84Volt or even 84,1.

I dont know if the GW in England have a reverse Diode for protecting the charge port? Wasn't it that this was made special for ewheels in the US???

• Upvote 1