THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

1 minute ago, Edddeus said:

@Marty Backe, totally unexpected, we are sooooo used to seeing you as Mr invincible. Perfect example of why we should always ride wearing safety gear. Hope you are Okay!

Only my ego is bruised. I think the wrist guards were very effective in this particular fall :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Ziiten said:

But how about the lenses, did they get scraches sliding on the concrete.

Yes. One of the lenses has a nice gouge it in :crying:

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes. One of the lenses has a nice gouge it in :crying:

Sorry to hear that. Although with their fisheye characteristics it's almost inevitable there will be scratches. I wonder if it was possible to put some protective film on the lenses without sacrificing too much on image quality. Or maybe they sell spare covers relatively cheap (I am guessing there is a plastic lens cover as part of the camera housing).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ziiten said:

Sorry to hear that. Although with their fisheye characteristics it's almost inevitable there will be scratches. I wonder if it was possible to put some protective film on the lenses without sacrificing too much on image quality. Or maybe they sell spare covers relatively cheap (I am guessing there is a plastic lens cover as part of the camera housing).

The Insta360 family of cameras is known for poor scratch resistance. And I didn't suffer a scratch, it's a gouge. The ideal situation would be replaceable lenses, but that's not an option on this camera.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

it's a gouge. 

https://www.insta360.com/mobile/support/aftersales?name=after

"Insta360 will repair/replace the Insta360 product using new or previously used part(s)/product(s) that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability. Insta360 will examine the returned product(s) to identify the problem, if Insta360 determines that the issue in question is not covered by this Insta360 Warranty Policy, you will have to apply for Customer Paid Repair Service."

I gouged and cracked the lens of my 360fly following a crash. After opening a 'ticket' at 360fly I was directed to send the unit to an affiliated service in NYC called 'Shine Electronics'. Lens replacement was needed and  the repair cost about $150 not including shipping to the repair facility.

One exchange went as follows:

"Our goal is to get your 360fly back to capturing and sharing your most epic adventures as soon as possible. Please securely package your 360fly with all accessories and ship it via a traceable shipping method (UPS,DHL,FedEx) to the address below:"

Shine Electronics c/o 360fly

10-15 46th Road
Long Island City, NY 11101

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

https://www.insta360.com/mobile/support/aftersales?name=after

"Insta360 will repair/replace the Insta360 product using new or previously used part(s)/product(s) that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability. Insta360 will examine the returned product(s) to identify the problem, if Insta360 determines that the issue in question is not covered by this Insta360 Warranty Policy, you will have to apply for Customer Paid Repair Service."

I gouged and cracked the lens of my 360fly following a crash. After opening a 'ticket' at 360fly I was directed to send the unit to an affiliated service in NYC called 'Shine Electronics'. Lens replacement was needed and  the repair cost about $150 not including shipping to the repair facility.

One exchange went as follows:

"Our goal is to get your 360fly back to capturing and sharing your most epic adventures as soon as possible. Please securely package your 360fly with all accessories and ship it via a traceable shipping method (UPS,DHL,FedEx) to the address below:"

Shine Electronics c/o 360fly

10-15 46th Road
Long Island City, NY 11101

Thanks. It's painful to pay about half the price of new unit because of scratches experienced when using the Action Camera as an Action Camera <_<

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. It's painful to pay about half the price of new unit because of scratches experienced when using the Action Camera as an Action Camera <_<

I wonder if you could create a protective housing for the camera using EVA or D3O foam.  Although I guess sine the lens is 360it would be hard to protect that, it has to be exposed I'm guessing. You need an automatic lens protector that only deploys on the right force vectors.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You survive! :cheers: Quite a graceful landing! I need some lessons. Sorry about the damage your Insta360 sustained. Bummer! How is your Rolex? ;) 

I couldn’t help myself.

45852040681_2e792b109b_b.jpg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

You survive! :cheers: Quite a graceful landing! I need some lessons. Sorry about the damage your Insta360 sustained. Bummer! How is your Rolex? ;) 

I couldn’t help myself.

45852040681_2e792b109b_b.jpg

Funny picture - thanks :D

I'm becoming convinced that riding with a selfie-stick is a safety feature when it comes to a crash. In my many falls (and I carry a selfie-stick a lot) I've noticed that I tend not to release the stick and try to protect it. This sets up an asymmetry with my body which results in a twisting rolling motion. That's my theory and I'm sticking (see what I did there) to it :)

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The Insta360 family of cameras is known for poor scratch resistance. And I didn't suffer a scratch, it's a gouge. The ideal situation would be replaceable lenses, but that's not an option on this camera.

1 hour ago, FreeRide said:

I wonder if you could create a protective housing for the camera using EVA or D3O foam.  Although I guess sine the lens is 360it would be hard to protect that, it has to be exposed I'm guessing. You need an automatic lens protector that only deploys on the right force vectors.

No help for your current 360 but the One X has a protective case coming out soon. Be good Marty and Santa might shove the new X model and a protective cover down your chimney for Christmas. 

30913131267_ff7d3ce335_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

No help for your current 360 but the One X has a protective case coming out soon. Be good Marty and Santa might shove the new X model and a protective cover down your chimney for Christmas. 

I've seen that and do hope that it's optically good. I've seen some pretty bad reviews for the optional case that you can buy for Insta360 One.

Due to the special optics required for the 360 cameras, I suspect any protective measures will degrade the quality. Probably what they really need to do is design in the capability to easily replace the lenses without requiring you to fork over $100.

I hoping for a bigger YouTube subscriber base so that the meager ad revenue is enough to periodically cover a new camera.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Funny picture - thanks :D

I'm becoming convinced that riding with a selfie-stick is a safety feature when it comes to a crash. In my many falls (and I carry a selfie-stick a lot) I've noticed that I tend not to release the stick and try to protect it. This sets up an asymmetry with my body which results in a twisting rolling motion. That's my theory and I'm sticking (see what I did there) to it :)

I can agree with that theory. I believe my fall was more symmetrical as I was trying to protect my jewels during my accident.  :P  And yes caught the ‘sticking’. :efefa6edcf:  Try and be a bit more subtle like that rehab guy.;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I've seen that and do hope that it's optically good. I've seen some pretty bad reviews for the optional case that you can buy for Insta360 One.

Due to the special optics required for the 360 cameras, I suspect any protective measures will degrade the quality. Probably what they really need to do is design in the capability to easily replace the lenses without requiring you to fork over $100.

I hoping for a bigger YouTube subscriber base so that the meager ad revenue is enough to periodically cover a new camera.

The current Insta360 One case is for moisture/underwater conditions. They do not recommend using it to record in dry conditions. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

The current Insta360 One case is for moisture/underwater conditions. They do not recommend using it to record in dry conditions. 

21 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, adding any extra barriers causes bad artificial sunlight refractions, even on regular cameras... 

Due to the nature of 360, there is no great way to protect the protruding dual fisheye lenses from impact, as they need to be fully exposed and unencumbered. 

AFAIK, the Garmin VIRB 360 is the only consumer 360 camera that has replaceable lenses: https://www.amazon.com/GARMIN-010-12521-20-VIRB-360-Lens/dp/B071W72927

Alternatively, for US GoPro Fusion users (and other more recent GoPros), GoPro offers the GoPro Plus plan for $5/month, which allows you to pay the $139 exchange fee (limit twice/year) and swap out a broken Fusion for a new one (they also try to beef up the monthly fee by including unlimited cloud storage, 20% off accessories, etc.)

... really kicking myself for not getting some kind of Squaretrade-type insurance when buying my Fusion, considering getting this GoPro Plus plan. 

• Like 2

Seated riding on the 100V MSX

Video credit : Mono Set

Edited by Edddeus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

30913131267_ff7d3ce335_b.jpg

This will degrade image quality. Small domes negatively impact MTF (lens sharpness), especially when spaced as close to the first lens element as this one appears to be.

It will also change the lens field of view, which can negatively impact the stitching.

As for under water... useless. The small dome will even more seriously affect the sharpness than it does in air (as the curved water surface actually becomes a lens), and will completely mess up the stitch.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, houseofjob said:

AFAIK, the Garmin VIRB 360 is the only consumer 360 camera that has replaceable lenses: https://www.amazon.com/GARMIN-010-12521-20-VIRB-360-Lens/dp/B071W72927

That's a replacement cover dome, not lens. Unless they designed the lens to only ever be used in conjunction with this done, it will degrade the optical quality. Even if co-designed, this dome will add reflections and somewhat compromise the optical design.

4 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

That's a replacement cover dome, not lens. Unless they designed the lens to only ever be used in conjunction with this done, it will degrade the optical quality. Even if co-designed, this dome will add reflections and somewhat compromise the optical design.

Look again. 

Whatever you call it, it’s the glass that you’ll break when dropping, and is not an optional piece.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

This will degrade image quality. Small domes negatively impact MTF (lens sharpness), especially when spaced as close to the first lens element as this one appears to be.

It will also change the lens field of view, which can negatively impact the stitching.

As for under water... useless. The small dome will even more seriously affect the sharpness than it does in air (as the curved water surface actually becomes a lens), and will completely mess up the stitch.

Yes your correct but the newer X cover will be far superior than the current version. It's still not available like a number of the other accessories they advertise. Their accessories are shipped in dribs and drabs but I did receive both the X remote and extended selfie stick last week. Interestingly the 3 meter stick is lighter than the shorter stock version. 

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Look again. 

Whatever you call it, it’s the glass that you’ll break when dropping, and is not an optional piece.

You can't really tell from that video if it's an optical element, or just a piece of protective glass.  I'm thinking it probably is just a piece of protective glass; in which case the camera would work totally fine without it.  It probably was not designed to be, so you would them have to worry about crap directly on the front optical element, and everywhere else.  If the camera was mounted stationary, probably not a big deal take care of it like other optical equipment, if one was using it in motion as is the most typical use of these, then I think reduced optical quality is just the price one has to pay protection from the elements. The price is coming down on these so I don't see the highest quality glass being used in these, especially for that larger front piece.

1 hour ago, FreeRide said:

You can't really tell from that video if it's an optical element, or just a piece of protective glass.  I'm thinking it probably is just a piece of protective glass; in which case the camera would work totally fine without it.  It probably was not designed to be, so you would them have to worry about crap directly on the front optical element, and everywhere else.  If the camera was mounted stationary, probably not a big deal take care of it like other optical equipment, if one was using it in motion as is the most typical use of these, then I think reduced optical quality is just the price one has to pay protection from the elements. The price is coming down on these so I don't see the highest quality glass being used in these, especially for that larger front piece.

Believe whatever you want to believe.

If Garmin is calling this part themselves a lens, I will call it a lens too.

• Upvote 1