THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

On 11/21/2018 at 3:45 AM, winterwheel said:
On 11/21/2018 at 3:25 AM, Rehab1 said:

In my case only when repositioning the stick for a different shot. Now managing both a selfie stick and drone together does take away from the enjoyment, 

That's a  skill I hope to acquire next summer... the enjoyment will come from (hopefully) having some good footage to work with once the ride is over.

And those are things I hope I can buy by next summer :efee612b4b:  Mi ideal would be a GoPro Hero 7 black (or a Yi 4K + gimbal) and a Yi VR 360 5.7K. A drone is beyond my budget, but I'm looking forward to being able to get some quality footage (better than my $40 Chinese action camera's) :efee612b4b:

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 9:45 PM, winterwheel said:

That's a  skill I hope to acquire next summer... the enjoyment will come from (hopefully) having some good footage to work with once the ride is over.

You won’t have any problem jockeying between a  camera and drone. Drones fly by themselves these days. Trees are my nemesis but Mavics seem to survive. Auto track just love branches. 

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

And those are things I hope I can buy by next summer :efee612b4b:  Mi ideal would be a GoPro Hero 7 black (or a Yi 4K + gimbal) and a Yi VR 360 5.7K. A drone is beyond my budget, but I'm looking forward to being able to get some quality footage (better than my $40 Chinese action camera's) :efee612b4b:

I’ve seen you take some nice footage with your $40 camera. I myself quit worrying about acquiring the perfect footage. Just have fun! So much can be accomplished in post these days that can really enhance the quality of footage. 

My current mental issue is experimenting with different mounts. :unsure:

32132765138_ea79934428_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I’ve seen you take some nice footage with your $40 camera. I myself quit worrying about acquiring the perfect footage. Just have fun! So much can be accomplished in post these days that can really enhance the quality of footage.

The main issues I'm having with it are exposure and stabilisation. I can play with exposure, contrast and saturation in post, but there's only so much you can do about completely burnt skies. And stabilisation...I've tried Première's but it doesn't help much, and other software I've tried crops the image way too much for my liking, or reduces the shaking but blurs the image. I considered a 100€ Yi 3-axis gimbal, but it's too heavy to mount on the wheel (I like wheel-POV shots), and for 200€, I can get a pack that includes the Yi 4K (not GP7 level, but pretty decent stabilisation), the 3-axis gimbal and a selfie stick with remote control. Might be a decent solution in terms of built-in stabilisation for wheel-mounted shots, and gimbal-selfie stick for other shots...(and maybe in the future work up to a 360 camera, the footage and possibilities are awesome!). But for now, I'll make do with what I've got, there's always time to upgrade. Plus, I'm looking forward to seeing if my dirt-cheap DIY stabiliser makes a difference of any kind :efee612b4b:

154vhjr.jpg

24 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

My current mental issue is experimenting with different mounts. :unsure:

32132765138_ea79934428_b.jpg

Wow, that's an interesting set-up you have there! Would love to see what kind of footage you get with that! Do you have a Youtube channel you can direct me towards? :)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, travsformation said:

The main issues I'm having with it are exposure and stabilisation. I can play with exposure, contrast and saturation in post, but there's only so much you can do about completely burnt skies. And stabilisation...I've tried Première's but it doesn't help much, and other software I've tried crops the image way too much for my liking, or reduces the shaking but blurs the image. I considered a 100€ Yi 3-axis gimbal, but it's too heavy to mount on the wheel (I like wheel-POV shots), and for 200€, I can get a pack that includes the Yi 4K (not GP7 level, but pretty decent stabilisation), the 3-axis gimbal and a selfie stick with remote control. Might be a decent solution in terms of built-in stabilisation for wheel-mounted shots, and gimbal-selfie stick for other shots...(and maybe in the future work up to a 360 camera, the footage and possibilities are awesome!). But for now, I'll make do with what I've got, there's always time to upgrade. Plus, I'm looking forward to seeing if my dirt-cheap DIY stabiliser makes a difference of any kind :efee612b4b:

154vhjr.jpg

Wow, that's an interesting set-up you have there! Would love to see what kind of footage you get with that! Do you have a Youtube channel you can direct me towards? :)

Thanks! I love your creativity! Your rubber mount should help dampen some of the vibration. Have you tested it yet?

The is a plethora of vibration dampening ideas out there. My problem is I tinker more than I ride. This is my multi axis wire vibration dampener that attaches to gopro mounts.

( BTW nobody is allowed to play pool on Thanksgiving)

32133373748_27426b5ea3_b.jpg

As for a light weight gimbal you can’t beat the EVO SS. Mine is not currently mounted on my wheel but it does a nice job especially with the remote that allows you smoothly direct the camera while riding.

44188272200_d0c437ddf3_b.jpg

If your bored some night here is my Youtube site.

https://m.youtube.com/my_videos?disable_polymer=true&csn=shX3W_P6EIufigTIqLvACg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

My annual beach run, this time with the Tesla. I don't think I've had a more beautiful ride as captured in this video snippet

That is one stunning beach ride Marty! It’s nice to see a snippet of California’s beauty after watching the news coverage of the devastating Camp Fire. 

53 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Almost makes me want to hop back onto my Tesla once again. 

A beach ride would probably be a safe area to begin riding again. You just need to take a trip to Marty’s scenic wonderland. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

My annual beach run, this time with the Tesla. I don't think I've had a more beautiful ride as captured in this video snippet

How reliable is the wet sand surface for riding? Is it a nice smooth hard surface or are there "potholes" (sandholes?) and other possible imperfections and surprises that limit your speed?

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:thumbup:  Nice ride!  Almost makes me want to hop back onto my Tesla once again. Just watch out for any water ingress!  :blink:

I dare....devil you. Just do it 😏😇

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Ever had any issues with the salt water?

No. I've made these rides multiple times. When I get home I sponge off the wheel with fresh water and use a hose to get water up into the wheel well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

How reliable is the wet sand surface for riding? Is it a nice smooth hard surface or are there "potholes" (sandholes?) and other possible imperfections and surprises that limit your speed?

The sand is very reliable. It's easy to see any potholes (and there don't seem to be many - on my beaches anyway). The sand density and slope can vary which can throw your balance off - feels like the wheel is on ice periodically. I've never fallen, knock on wood :D

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

That would be an awesome ride! For those interested, this is our Ninety Mile Beach;

photos4-640x361.jpg

And yes, I know it isn't really 90 miles long (which is probably a good thing, because that is a lot of Wh).

@Alex_from_NZ - you will have to recover first, otherwise your tracks will look like this...

o                        o                        o                        o                        o                        o           
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
            o                        o                        o                        o                        o                        o           

Too soon?   :facepalm:

Are your feet really that round? I have some arch supports you can try. ;)

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Access-Model-View.jpg

Now I understand. Thanks! There was no foot contact in @The Fat Unicyclist‘s depiction. @Alex_from_NZ I wasn’t aware you were on crutches. Best wishes on your recovery. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

That would be an awesome ride! For those interested, this is our Ninety Mile Beach;

photos4-640x361.jpg

And yes, I know it isn't really 90 miles long (which is probably a good thing, because that is a lot of Wh).

@Alex_from_NZ - you will have to recover first, otherwise your tracks will look like this...

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Too soon?   :facepalm:

You joke... But thats exactly how im currently getting around on the MiniPro at the moment, it kinda feels like having ski poles, just gets a bit dodgy when you forget where to put the crutch and run it over all of a sudden..  Yes this has now happened.  Getting off the bastard is bloody interesting too lol.

Fun Facts Time! 90 mile beach (actually a state highway as well) is named so for the fact it took the time it would normally take a horse to ride 90 miles to cover it.  Of course they never accounted for the fact horses ride slower in sand...  In actual fact it is 88km long, whenever i go north i save a bunch of time and road traffic and drive the beach instead and then come out through Te Paki stream.  Fantastic drive and some wild west coast country!  Its always interesting going along at 80km and all of a sudden a bus is passing you at 100 on either side lol.

p.s - Never too soon!

Edited by Alex_from_NZ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Now I understand. Thanks! There was no foot contact in @The Fat Unicyclist‘s depiction. @Alex_from_NZ I wasn’t aware you were on crutches. Best wishes on your recovery. 

Man i wish my crutches were that flash!  I got some hand me downs i found in my attic (i have no idea where i got them) but its the first time ive ever had to use crutches before and god almighty they are uncomfortable bastards.   On the plus side, they are branded cubro, so they are obviously built for speed.

Cheers, as we say down here, she'll be right mate. :) 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, trya said:

Cd0mQDg.jpg

00dJ3hP.jpg

Oh, well, the sand might be quite treacherous. Once I managed to run into a hidden pothole filled with water - it was absolutely invisible, kind of a small "quick sand" area. The wheel suddenly fell through the sand and stopped, my body haven't stayed with it :)  

Thanks. Now you're going to make me paranoid about riding on the beach :cry2:

:)

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. Now you're going to make me paranoid about riding on the beach :cry2:

Oops! Come on, we've seen many potential traps on various terrains, one less or one more - not much difference :) Just maintain a reasonable speed and wear protection, which you do anyway :)

• Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 9:49 PM, Rehab1 said:

Thanks! I love your creativity! Your rubber mount should help dampen some of the vibration. Have you tested it yet?

It's pretty straight-forward and uncomplicated (EVA foam and sealing tape), especially compared to your tinkering! Plus...it doesn't work for **** .... no noticeable improvement. I think take 2 is going to involve some form of dampening between the mount and the wheel (perhaps something thicker like a piece of sponge), and the same thing to replace the current foam dampening on the screw that rests on the wheel's front panel; I reckon adding some weight might also help...we'll. see.

BTW, "all tinkering and no riding makes Jack go crazy" (or that's what I interpreted from The Shining) :efee612b4b:

On 11/22/2018 at 9:49 PM, Rehab1 said:

his is my multi axis wire vibration dampener that attaches to gopro mounts.

32133373748_27426b5ea3_b.jpg

Wow! Now THAT's lateral thinking! Do you mount that to helmet, wheel, etc.? Have you tested it? (And how do you tighten it?) The EVO SS looks like the way to go....but for the time being, I'm gonna have to make do with my DIY solutions (plus, all extra money should go towards my next wheel!)

BTW I like your workshop! (every man's gotta have one!)

• Like 1