THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

they are doing your teaching method.  Barefoot!  starting at 1:15.  I tried on a few people so far no success. But method makes sense.

Story behind this "barefoot technique" is that this nice girl came to visit us in quite nice 10+ centimeter high heels ...  I almost convinced her to show herself in high heels on the wheel.. but she strongly refused...

On 11/2/2018 at 7:53 AM, Marty Backe said:

Nice :thumbup: Some great riding locations.

I'm not trying to be a safety cop (I really don't care how people choose to ride). But I do find it fascinating how not a single person had any safety gear, and lots of riding with hands in the pocket. This must be cultural? A Holland thing? Maybe it's because of the great health care system :confused1:  Don't get me wrong, I periodically ride with people that wear nothing, but usually most of the riders are wearing various levels of gear and the 'naked' guy is an outlier.

P.s. I did see one guy had wrist guards :cheers:

Hi Marty,

That there is a difference between Dutch EUC drivers and other around protection seems obvious. The Born Dutchman teaches cycling at a young age. And also in all kinds of traffic situations safe and attentive to drive. The Netherlands is a real bike country, partly because of the flat country. (YouTube once on the Netherlands bike country or something). When people drive on a EUC, the EUC is the only difference with which they are in traffic.   Most riders here have once or more often, bruises and injuries. Bruised shoulder, broken arm, skin of forearm-skin of knee/leg etc etc. But in almost everything was not the EUC to blame, but the rider himself.
As soon as we know the limit of the wheel we respect that (Gotway at Squeak is decreasing etc).   As soon as we/I  are experienced rider, and the limit of a wheel know and accept-find most  of us protection no longer needed.Of course there is always a chance that we will fall, with all the consequences that entails.
By being experienced cyclists, I think we know how to assess and react to the dangers well. Also the other traffic is accustomed to cyclists and other 2 or 3 and 4 wheelers.                  There are mostly bicycle paths, and the roads/bicycle paths are predominantly good. If not, you can adjust the driving habits. Many of the drivers in the clip have been driving for 2 years or more.
And have 5000kms to 15000 km on EUC. After the initial phase (100 km to 500 km) they are no longer cases or else crashed on EUC. That also makes you feel relatively safe and familiar with a EUC. The question remains, of course, whether it is more sensible to drive protection. Yes, that's for WHEN you fall always safer. But most of us choose not to wear protection.  :blink:      The health system makes me think not so much. Yes, the health system here is good. We have all, times a compulsory insurance, which reimbursed a lot of first aid. Maybe if we had to pay that ourselves, that we were more protecting reason. I don't know if that would be the case.:efeed51798:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lukasz said:

Story behind this "barefoot technique" is that this nice girl came to visit us in quite nice 10+ centimeter high heels ...  I almost convinced her to show herself in high heels on the wheel.. but she strongly refused...

No, the technique is riding beside the noob offering a sort of moving wall.  supposedly it should allow the noob to learn in 60-120 seconds.  I've not been successful in executing the technique.  Was very interested in it to help bring this hobby mainstream if it worked.  Was she able to learn?  btw, barefoot has nothing to do with it.  

On 11/2/2018 at 3:04 PM, Edddeus said:

NonStopNeal in Helsinki - Finland

Oh my god, no group ride with us locals?! We could’ve kept up some small talk not to make it awkward... ;)

Nice vlog, thanks!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

No, the technique is riding beside the noob offering a sort of moving wall.  supposedly it should allow the noob to learn in 60-120 seconds.  I've not been successful in executing the technique.

My brother’s girlfriend was learning to ride by holding the hand of a riding partner. Unfortunately she was not able to ride without the support even after several weeks. Eventually we had to start from scratch with the basics of balancing and steering.

”Barefoot” might be a different technique, but atleast what my bro did didn’t work...

Edited by mrelwood

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

No, the technique is riding beside the noob offering a sort of moving wall.  supposedly it should allow the noob to learn in 60-120 seconds.  I've not been successful in executing the technique.  Was very interested in it to help bring this hobby mainstream if it worked.  Was she able to learn?  btw, barefoot has nothing to do with it. 

Ok, clear.  120 seconds is not enough, but I had been teaching 1 high school guy  - 10 minutes was enough, and recently - one student - also it took him maybe 10 minutes to go by himself. Sometime I use the "moving wall" technique in the second stage of teaching - first stage is to keep the learning person side-by side, then sometimes I stay behind but usually fast-walking  or running sightly (but this is very short phase)

3 hours ago, winterwheel said:

This is my life now. :ph34r:

you are hardcore ? how did you not slip do you have studded tyres? , you have snow in your beard i hope you've got a warm place of work ,,, i take my hat off to you :thumbup:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Demargon said:

New video from the Madrid crew, this time is around the San Juan Lake (Some impossible climbing at 3:30)

Wait wait did that sign say "Se prohibe el paso desprendimientos"?  Are the banks (I mean, the retaining walls) considered unstable?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Biped Phil said:

Wait wait did that sign say "Se prohibe el paso desprendimientos"?  Are the banks (I mean, the retaining walls) considered unstable?

Go to min 2:00 to see the falled rocks in the cave floor.  This is a clue of where is the dangerous place in the path, rest of it are safe unless raining or windy day

12 hours ago, stephen said:

you are hardcore ? how did you not slip do you have studded tyres? , you have snow in your beard i hope you've got a warm place of work ,,, i take my hat off to you :thumbup:

Thanks! The wheel is an ACM2, no mods or studs, about 2500 km of summer driving on it. I might stud up my old ACM tire and put it on at some point, but I wanted to get some video of the commute without them first. Friday was as difficult as anything I faced last winter; today promises to be worse, rained yesterday, -8 today. :blink1:

Actually, there is one slight mod, there is gorilla tape over all the external seams because I had the wheel apart a few weeks ago and wanted to be sure there was no place water might get inside the shell.

Edited by winterwheel
Thought of something else.
  • Upvote 1

Had a blast riding with on NYC Marathon day...  First time I'm playing with multiple angles using the Insta360 ONE X camera.  Not much commentary, but at least there isn't any wind noise.  For those who like to watch what it is like to ride in a group.  Starting to get cold in the north east and there won't be much riding. 

If you want to get one, here is a link to get one with a free selfie stick - http://bit.ly/2Oe0xAi

• Like 2

1 hour ago, winterwheel said:

Thanks! The wheel is an ACM2, no mods or studs, about 2500 km of summer driving on it. I might stud up my old ACM tire and put it on at some point, but I wanted to get some video of the commute without them first. Friday was as difficult as anything I faced last winter; today promises to be worse, rained yesterday, -8 today. :blink1:

Actually, there is one slight mod, there is tape over all the external seams because I had the wheel apart a few weeks ago and wanted to be sure there was no place water might get inside the shell.

Wow. Rain and then freezing - that's the worst kind, especially if there is snow on the ground which then freezes and leaves the surface uneven with grooves from bike riders, pedestrians and such.

11 hours ago, winterwheel said:

This is my life now. :ph34r:

That's awesome! I have been looking at studs you can screw into the tire, but I'm unsure if the tire is thick enough (6 mm) Normal car studs is an other option, where you can use a drill to make a 5 mm deep hole and attach a cardboard nail to the drill, so that you can use the nails head to make the cavity that will hold the studs in place. Custom made snow chain is another solution, but at the moment I'm looking into 7 - 10 mm wide metall strips, and plan to drill holes in them, so that I can fit tiny screws with nut. Not sure which method I'll chose. I'll see when the wheel arrives and winter has settled in. Good luck with your winter commuting:)

22 minutes ago, Espen R said:

Not sure which method I'll chose.

You might consider doing a bit of experimenting with winter riding without mods before doing all that. I never intended to ride in the winter at all, but tried it the first day, it was okay, then the second, then the third, next thing you know it's spring. The video shows kind of the worst case scenario: the entire ride was 28 minutes, I cut out 21 minutes because they were pretty boring.

Edited by winterwheel

1 hour ago, Ziiten said:

Wow. Rain and then freezing - that's the worst kind, especially if there is snow on the ground which then freezes and leaves the surface uneven with grooves from bike riders, pedestrians and such.

Turned out to be a doddle compared to Friday.

Edited by winterwheel

4 hours ago, winterwheel said:

Actually, there is one slight mod, there is tape over all the external seams because I had the wheel apart a few weeks ago and wanted to be sure there was no place water might get inside the shell.

Nice job, seems you had more success than I did, I used my MSX with studs on Friday and it was a fail.  It was around 0 celcius on Friday and the snow was heavy slush type snow and there was quite a bit of it, too much for the wheel to dig into, so you are basically riding on mush.  In some spots there was over 5cm of heavy snow in the bike lanes.

I managed to get to work mostly fine.  Had to jump off the wheel on my first turn at low speed because it slipped out.  It continued to snow all day so on the way home a lot of my commute was impassable.  I would've been more comfortable on my bike but even then it would've been a tough commute.  I ended up walking most of it and my wife picked me up close to home.

One of the biggest issues, and I think you've mentioned this, is that the pedals themselves ice up, especially as you dismount, get snow on your boots, then transfer it to the pedals.  I will have to find a solution to this problem, I had to stop several times to scrape the ice off with my keys.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Xoltri said:

One of the biggest issues, and I think you've mentioned this, is that the pedals themselves ice up, especially as you dismount, get snow on your boots, then transfer it to the pedals.  I will have to find a solution to this problem, I had to stop several times to scrape the ice off with my keys.

I normally wear studs/grippers on my shoes for this reason. (Didn't on Friday, did today, helped tremendously).  

1 hour ago, Xoltri said:

Nice job, seems you had more success than I did, I used my MSX with studs on Friday and it was a fail. 

I am wondering if studs might actually make travelling worse in those particular conditions, where the rutty snow pushes the wheel all over the place. My theory is that having no grip at all :shock2: allows me to recover when the wheel goes sideways (as it does a few times in the video) because there very little resistance to the balance reflex to orient the wheel back in a forward direction. Really disappointed to hear the wheel slipped out on a turn; my great hope for stud performance is handling turns.

11 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Really disappointed to hear the wheel slipped out on a turn; my great hope for stud performance is handling turns.

Yeah, I've ordered additional studs to do the sides of the tire, as it is now they are mostly in the center.  Will keep trying, just need to work the bugs out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Had a blast riding with on NYC Marathon day...  First time I'm playing with multiple angles using the Insta360 ONE X camera.  Not much commentary, but at least there isn't any wind noise.  For those who like to watch what it is like to ride in a group.  Starting to get cold in the north east and there won't be much riding. 

If you want to get one, here is a link to get one with a free selfie stick - http://bit.ly/2Oe0xAi

Very nice Eddie. And using the old KS18S no less ;)

Hey, could you do me (some of us) a favor and post this (or a similar X video) as a 360-degree video. I'm curious to see how the X improves over the general crappiness of the One when published as a 360-degree.

I don't know if you've done this yet. After exporting as a 360 you have to run it through a tool that adds the 360-degree meta data to the file so that YouTube will display it properly.