THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

1 hour ago, SuperSport said:

Sacramento has the same issues.  I believe it's a matter of Policy gone wrong.  That's just me.

I think policy and values influence and reflect each other.  It's the same thing with things like pay toilets and crosswalks and bike paths and many other decisions a community makes about what kind of image it wishes to project, what it wishes to accomplish, and what it's willing to pay for  - ordinances tend to come out of and reflect community values, and once they're in place, they tend to encourage and perpetuate those same values by making them the default.  

I recently watched a video on beaches in China.  During prime periods they get as crowded as a freeway traffic jam, and people leave all their trash around to the extent that cleaning it up is a massive daily effort.  The culture and the laws reflect each other.  Everybody's doing it so everybody does it; the law allows it so people allow it to themselves.

There are always the people like George Washington, who eventually gave up slave ownership, but then again there are always plenty of the Jefferson type too, who keep them to the bitter end.  You can never count on people living up to a high level, but you can always count on them living down to the lower levels.

• Upvote 3

Pet peeve of mine.  I'm on the board of a local conservation organization.  We've got a 50-acre natural reserve in the middle of a highly urbanized county.  On a weekly basis, volunteers pick up the trash people fling out of their cars on the half mile stretch of road in front of the property.  It's not just a little bit of litter.  They fill bags.  What's wrong with people?

• Upvote 3

Just now, radial said:

Pet peeve of mine.  I'm on the board of a local conservation organization.  We've got a 50-acre natural reserve in the middle of a highly urbanized county.  On a weekly basis, volunteers pick up the trash people fling out of their cars on the half mile stretch of road in front of the property.  It's not just a little bit of litter.  They fill bags.  What's wrong with people?

A lot of nature areas can be like that, public or private.  It can be pretty disheartening in its way.  You go up to the very top of a difficult hike, maybe a different peak from the one people tend to choose first, and marvel at how beautiful it is.  Maybe you wonder how long it has been since anyone has disturbed this particular glorious spot ... and then you see a Pepsi can or candy bar wrapper.  Sorta takes the wind out of your sails.

I understand this is a big problem in some places popular with recreational shooters, too.  They leave massive amounts of shell casings behind.

On a side note, when I was a kid we used to have a little roofed wooden cart outside on the corner of our property.  Teenagers -- not invited, mind you -- would come sit there at night and talk.  My folks felt that was a kid thing to do and it was okay, almost never chasing them off.  And ... sometimes we'd get a good run of the kind of jerks who would leave trash and even break beer bottles there.  C'mon guys ... you can do better than that ...  We would also have to regularly clean up beer bottles and fast food joint trash people would throw from their cars in passing.  We figured we knew how long it took the average person to eat a fast food meal by where he dumped his trash when he was done..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, n2eus said:

This route has eye candy and is exhilarating on my Gotway Msuper3.

Great ride. I wish it looked that good in person ;)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, n2eus said:

Strong stuff n2eus! Great editing! You and @Marty Backe produce some great transitional videos. I need to hire some unemployed street beggar to follow me around and shoot video. Unfortunately the beggar along with my camera would be soon be gone as I ride off into the sunset.  :huh:

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, n2eus said:

Wow!  I like the music and how you couldn't wipe the smile off your face. Those are great moments when your wheeling along and the full enjoyment hits you and as focused as you are you can't help but :)

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Demian B said:

Wow!  I like the music and how you couldn't wipe the smile off your face. Those are great moments when your wheeling along and the full enjoyment hits you and as focused as you are you can't help but :)

Sometimes it's kinda hard not to :D

53 minutes ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

First video on my new channel Mr. O.G. Pedalgrinder. Spent a day by an Oregon river, riding on the rocks by the rapids (I think it like class 3 or 4). My KS-14D goes under water about 12 inches deep! Still alive and kickin'. The handle came in handy hiking through the jungle too. Had fun. :ph34r::whistling: Enjoy

Cool video, man those rocks were rough, but with your slow speed skills you were like riding a trials course, stopping, backing up, going forward again.  Lifting the wheel by the handle over those fallen trees was like a kettlebell workout.  That Kingsong looks very good, and the part where you had two different angles at the same time was interesting.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I visited an automotive proving grounds yesterday called the Michigan Technical Resource Park to ride my ACM 1600. This place is huge. Here's a link to my topic that lead up to this awesome adventure!

Wow, that 30 degree hill looked steep!  So did the 20 degree hill, the ACM climbed them easily.  Great editing and music, the drone footage was great also!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hansolo said:

The last video of Paris Amsterdam. La Haye-Rotterdam the 18th june 2017.

Congratulations for this very successful trip! It's nice to see the big finish! What is the station at the end? Is it a train station? Did you ride the train back to Paris?

23 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

Congratulations for this very successful trip! It's nice to see the big finish! What is the station at the end? Is it a train station? Did you ride the train back to Paris?

Yes it's a train station.

31 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

A couple of first try videos with a 360FLY camera. The first is a scripted 'watch me' where I've told the software where to point the camera view seen on the screen. In the second short video the viewer can interact and pan the video around.

Wow, the second video I could actually pan it, the first video the effect of the telephone poles and buildings appearing to lean as they were passed by was I guess part of the 3D effect.

• Upvote 1

:blink1:

9 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

https://www.360fly.com/

That 350fly is really cool!  Check out the first video on their website of the guy jumping off the mountain.

That was pretty cool, but I couldn't watch the whole video.  I'm not sure if it's good for someone with Asperger's syndrome to watch such mindbending videos.:o

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Wow, the second video I could actually pan it

The lens is a fish eye which, for these videos , is pointed straight up. A 240 degree view(120 degree = straight up) in all 360 degrees around it is created. There are ways to pre process (make equi-rectangular) or reorient the lens so it faces forward (POV with 240 degrees facing forward) rather than up. The file sizes get big for the first video which , at over a gigabyte, takes an hour to upload to YouTube. I do the processing on my laptop since my android phone can't handle the video that was captured. YouTube processes the video for 360 sharing. Equirectangular with an aspect ratio of 2:1 is ideal. 360fly software can make an equirectangular but I haven't tried to process that way. 

I took another video with the camera placed lower to capture the Ninebot that is sort of interesting. The POV with lens facing forward is sort of straighter as far as buildings and phone poles go but the video is 'non-interactive' with a fixed orientation.

In bright light the video quality is good. YouTube processing degrades the quality as compared to the uploaded video file.

Gear360, the competitor of 360fly uses two fisheye lenses, one facing forward and one facing back. The software for Samsung stitches the the two videos together to make a 360 video.

Shooting the camera is simple.

Uploading takes a large bandwidth (Starbuck's). Pre-processing to fix the camera direction seen by the viewer or to impose equi-rectangular shape (to reduced phone pole curving) to each frame in the video takes a lot of hardware processing power. Core i5 and up processor.

I used 13 GB of HD space to create ten or so videos of about four to six minutes or less. Five of the videos used 11 GB of that total (4-6 minute duration).

• Upvote 3