THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

On 7/23/2017 at 0:21 AM, Sven said:

I'm automatically in (with my broken monster)

Sven, what did you determine that clunking to be?  I have the same thing

30 minutes ago, Demian B said:

I'm referencing @Sven so he sees your question

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Demian B said:

Thanks @Marty Backe

I believe the clunking is happening on the shaft that connects to the pedal. I first thought it was either from the motor or the nuts holding the motor cable, but to me it seems more like a plate that supports the shaft. Sorry, I'm not 100% sure how to precisely describe this in mechanical terms ;) 

This clunk only happens only when i move the unit back and forth (while it's powered on), motor is not doing this on its own.   

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Sven said:

Thanks @Marty Backe

I believe the clunking is happening on the shaft that connects to the pedal. I first thought it was either from the motor or the nuts holding the motor cable, but to me it seems more like a plate that supports the shaft. Sorry, I'm not 100% sure how to precisely describe this in mechanical terms ;) 

This clunk only happens only when i move the unit back and forth (while it's powered on), motor is not doing this on its own.   

Cool. I'll try moving it back and forth while off when I get home. Hadn't thought of that. I suspect my clunk also requires the power on. Once I choose a solution for interfacing an updated control board and an old battery lead, I'll find out if new firmware takes care of it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Come along with me as I enjoy a late July ride along some of the Southern California river trails. It was a beautiful late afternoon day :D

I enjoyed watching this. "River" (Why don't they just call it a canal if it is one? Because historically and still it technically is a a river?) riding, a bit of parks, and including a look at some of the more unsightly parts of the route, too. I find these especially interesting because there's so many little details.

Too bad the footpath/bikepath seems to double as trashcan at times. Maybe some synergy with this homeless camp would be possible, they pick up the trash and put up a donation box with a sign explaining that, might work. Or maybe they're the cause of the trash, as it was right below their camp too?

Loved the parts where the ACM has that little "stern wave" from sand/dust and leaves the tire track on the ground. Just looks cool.:wub:

Edited by meepmeepmayer

8 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I enjoyed watching this. "River" (why not just call it a canal?) riding, a bit of parks, and including a look at some of the more unsightly parts of the route, too. I find these especially interesting because there's so many little details.

Too bad the footpath/bikepath seems to double as trashcan at times. Maybe some synergy with this homeless camp would be possible, they pick up the trash and put up a donation box with a sign explaining that, might work. Or maybe they're the cause of the trash, as it was right below their camp too?

Loved the parts where the ACM has that little "stern wave" from sand/dust and leaves the tire track on the ground. Just looks cool.:wub:

Thanks. In California they are officially called rivers. For flood control purposes they paved them in the mid 20th century.

Homeless are out of control now in the river areas. I don't know why the government isn't doing anything - it wasn't this bad until a few years ago. They bring all the trash. You barely saw any of it. There are some other rivers that look like little towns :(

Glad you enjoyed it :)

• Upvote 1

Bad with the homeless, or bad with the trash?

Also, the city could at least put up some trashcans at known homeless camps. Otherwise, no surprise this happens. But apparently they really don't care.

Thanks for the info. Somehow I find such stuff interesting. How people organize (or don't) the places they live.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Also, the city could at least put up some trashcans at known homeless camps. Otherwise, no surprise this happens. But apparently they really don't care.

Thanks for the info. Somehow I find such stuff interesting. How people organize (or don't) the places they live.

The homeless and associated trash is out-of-control.

It's not to be expected of you, but only until you see it for yourself can you appreciate the magnitude of the problem. Los Angeles has a generic problem with trash on the highways, roads, etc. Trashcans would accomplish nothing (maybe they would encourage more homeless?). We're not talking about bubble gum wrappers. You will see junk dressers, tents, refrigerators, large quantities of stuff that would not fit in a trashcan.

Most people (non-wheelers) never visit the river areas so "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" as the saying goes.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Come along with me as I enjoy a late July ride along some of the Southern California river trails. It was a beautiful late afternoon day :D

Excellent video Marty! So glad you finally listened me about improving your video quality!;)

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Found this old video, seems to use a similar setup as @Marty Backe  Kingsong 14 inch seems to be a good wheel.

Yeah, I've seen this before too. Funny that you've linked to Jeff's video after @Hunka Hunka Burning Love highlighted his infamous crotch video in this thread :D

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Funny that you've linked to Jeff's video after @Hunka Hunka Burning Love highlighted his infamous crotch video in this thread :D

I didn't watch that video, is that the same person?  It was at the end of some video I was watching where Youtube gives you a bunch of video thumbnails and I watched it and thought the guy was using the same stick and camera as you.  Same angles too.  That is funny, though.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

A lot of my growing up years were in Hawaii.  Trash cans were everywhere and so there was almost no trash on the streets or anywhere else.  Throwing stuff away properly became a part of local pride.

When I moved to Los Angeles, one of the first and to me very surprising things was that there were no trash cans in sight, mile after mile.  Where were people supposed to throw stuff?  Well, right on the street and in the gutters, as they were clearly doing.  There was so much trash everywhere!  

And no real feeling of shame about it.  It's not like a critical mass of regular folk seemed to notice or change their own personal behavior accordingly to make things a little better.  Compare to Hawaii, where if you threw your junk on the ground, you'd at the very minimum get a very dirty look from absolutely everyone and anyone.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

A lot of my growing up years were in Hawaii.  Trash cans were everywhere and so there was almost no trash on the streets or anywhere else.  Throwing stuff away properly became a part of local pride.

When I moved to Los Angeles, one of the first and to me very surprising things was that there were no trash cans in sight, mile after mile.  Where were people supposed to throw stuff?  Well, right on the street and in the gutters, as they were clearly doing.  There was so much trash everywhere!  

And no real feeling of shame about it.  It's not like a critical mass of regular folk seemed to notice or change their own personal behavior accordingly to make things a little better.  Compare to Hawaii, where if you threw your junk on the ground, you'd at the very minimum get a very dirty look from absolutely everyone and anyone.

So if there aren't trash cans the natural response is to throw stuff in the gutter??? Hmmm. There are plenty of regions (99%) of the country where there aren't trash cans within arms reach and people don't pollute. I grew up in Small Town America where the only trash cans were around the town center. Yet somehow the town as a whole was litter free.

It's about values, IMHO. I never throw trash any place other than a trash can. I carry it until I can do so. It's not rocket science.

I actually despise people who throw trash on the street, be it a bag or a gum wrapper - sorry if I've offended anybody here. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

So if there aren't trash cans the natural response is to throw stuff in the gutter??? Hmmm. There are plenty of regions (99%) of the country where there aren't trash cans within arms reach and people don't pollute. I grew up in Small Town America where the only trash cans were around the town center. Yet somehow the town as a whole was litter free.

It's about values, IMHO. I never throw trash any place other than a trash can. I carry it until I can do so. It's not rocket science.

I actually despise people who throw trash on the street, be it a bag or a gum wrapper - sorry if I've offended anybody here. 

Sacramento has the same issues.  I believe it's a matter of Policy gone wrong.  That's just me.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yea really.  I get drinks when riding and when I'm done don't think to myself "no trash cans might as well litter".  Hang onto it until the next can and throw it away and if you don't see one take it home and throw it away.  People throw fast food trash on the street in front of my house.  I live on a small one way in, one way out street.  Would it kill you to take the trash another 1/4 mile to your house and throw it in the trash can?  I'm always kind if I see them and pick it up and leave it in their front yard for them.  Very inconsiderate.  

• Upvote 2