THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

7 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

How's those motorcycle laws in Kansas? I remember not having to wear a helmet on my very first street motorcycle (600 gsx) out there.

Nothing better than riding a motorcycle without a helmet!!! The first time my wife and I went to Laconia Bike Week in New Hampshire we both took the helmets off as soon as we got there! Same thing in Sturgis!

@ShanesPlanet nice video! Do it with the Mten3 next time! :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, n2eus said:

This is the first episode of our 77 mile EUC ride through beach and inland cities.  This very enjoyable group ride was organized by @Freewheeler.

Great places, nice colors (a bit over-saturated), i loved the music!

Keep it up, this style of video is what i like!

Edited by Lefteris
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, n2eus said:

This is the first episode of our 77 mile EUC ride through beach and inland cities.  This very enjoyable group ride was organized by @Freewheeler.

I'm very fond of this editing style, more movie-like, with cuts instead of long sequences, and subtle camera movements with no 360 distortion. Very nice, subscribed to your channel! :)

I'd dial the saturation down a little though. And out of curiosity, you added a sharpening effect right?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lefteris said:

Great places, nice colors (a bit over-saturated), i loved the music!

Keep it up, this style of video is what i like!

Thanks.

3 hours ago, travsformation said:

I'm very fond of this editing style, more movie-like, with cuts instead of long sequences, and subtle camera movements with no 360 distortion. Very nice, subscribed to your channel! :)

I'd dial the saturation down a little though. And out of curiosity, you added a sharpening effect right?

Thanks.  Yes, I sharpen to increase details, but not so much as to produce unwanted artifacts.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, n2eus said:

Thanks.

Thanks.  Yes, I sharpen to increase details, but not so much as to produce unwanted artifacts.

I'd personally go for a little less sharpening, it's on the verge of looking artificial / video-gamish. IMHO, a little blur is preferable over too sharp and image, it's more natural-looking, but that's just a subjective preference. Enjoyed your video and editing style all the same! :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Unventor said:

Then it stuck me that it is because it is too blue.

Now I'm curious, @n2eus, was that intentional color-grading?

In general I prefer the warmer look. Most people do according to a study my company did in a blind test years back. It is not what is right or wrong. But personal preference. It is properly part of why we think sun rise or sun set looks so great. As it tends to highlight the sun as red ray in the atmosphere. 

Same here. I pay close attention to the color temperature of the lightbulbs I buy, not a fan of anything above 4000ºK. But a blue tint is great for certain scenes (I noticed them using it a lot in the series Vikings, to further convey the cold). In this case, I would have gone for a warmer tone too, but blue does convey relaxation, laid-back, which actually goes well with the overall pace of the video/ride :)

A ) the casual ride tempo. No quest for speed just the great feel of cruising about enjoying the moment. 

B ) the tune, I like that a lot. Fits the curving cruise making it almost look like dancing. 

Keep playing and making videos. I will enjoy look at these on the big TV.

giphy.gif

We folks under full lockdown need your videos more than ever!!!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Unventor said:

I really couldn't put my finger on it at first. Then it stuck me that it is because it is too blue.

It is a matter of personal preference or by choice make another colour scheme to make it stand out. 

So it is the oppersote of NCIS Miami. They chose the red/golden or extreme warm colour tone as a filter, this one looks to be the opposite scale extreme blue. 

I can't decide if it is good or bad. Only that it is very different. In general I prefer the warmer look. Most people do according to a study my company did in a blind test years back. It is not what is right or wrong. But personal preference. It is properly part of why we think sun rise or sun set looks so great. As it tends to highlight the sun as red ray in the atmosphere. 

Two things I do love.

A ) the casual ride tempo. No quest for speed just the great feel of cruising about enjoying the moment. 

B ) the tune, I like that a lot. Fits the curving cruise making it almost look like dancing. 

Keep playing and making videos. I will enjoy look at these on the big TV. :popcorn::thumbup:

4 hours ago, travsformation said:

Now I'm curious, @n2eus, was that intentional color-grading?

Same here. I pay close attention to the color temperature of the lightbulbs I buy, not a fan of anything above 4000ºK. But a blue tint is great for certain scenes (I noticed them using it a lot in the series Vikings, to further convey the cold). In this case, I would have gone for a warmer tone too, but blue does convey relaxation, laid-back, which actually goes well with the overall pace of the video/ride :)

giphy.gif

We folks under full lockdown need your videos more than ever!!!

@Lefteris, @Unventor, and @travsformation,

Thank you very much for all your suggestions. You might say the color grading was intentional but heavy handed.   I lowered saturation, sharpness, and midtone detail, increased temperature and I totally agree that balance is improved.  Let me know your opinions of the resulting balance in episode 3 when I post it today.  Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Edited by n2eus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, n2eus said:

Thank you very much for all your suggestions. You might say the color grading was intentional but heavy handed.   I lowered saturation, sharpness, and midtone detail, increased temperature and I totally agree that balance is improved.  Let me know your opinions of the resulting balance in episode 3 when I post it today.  Your advice is greatly appreciated.

It is not necessarily right or wrong. Like I said it is a matter of personal preference.

When that is said all people see colours a little different too. That's why you always going to have different opinions when asking on feedback.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, n2eus said:

Let me know your opinions of the resulting balance in episode 3 when I post it today

Waiting for that video :D 

Also try once the auto-feature, most of the modern programs know better than us ;) but don't rely 100% on it :P 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, n2eus said:

This is the third episode of our 77 mile EUC ride through beach and inland cities.

Very nice! What an awesome place to ride, by the sea! What a view! I'm green with envy right now, I'd get fined if caught joy-riding, with the whole COVID-19 confinement :wacko:

So please keep the videos coming so I can go with you on your outings!

I liked the aesthetics better on this one, the warmer color temperature is much more suited for this specific footage (IMO), and the sharpness reduction makes it look much more natural! As to saturation, it's a subjective choice: I tend to gravitate towards true-to-life color, which others might find bland. But the punchy colors really suit the landscape in this one, I like it. And even if I didn't, everyone has their signature style, so make content that you like, as @Unventor said. :)

BTW, is there footage from two different cameras by any chance?

About auto settings, @Lefteris, they tend to push the contrast too far up for my liking...but more importantly, it takes away half the fun!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, travsformation said:

BTW, is there footage from two different cameras by any chance?

Just the Osmo.  Wide and narrow frames from different zoom values on different clips.  Thanks again for your advice.

Edited by n2eus
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, n2eus said:

This is the third episode of our 77 mile EUC ride through beach and inland cities.

I do like you pick of music to your videos. Also like that people riding casual about having a great time and all geared up. 

I wish I could have been there as both our weather are non-EUCfriendly at the moment plus lockdown is getting tighter every day and hour due to the darn virus outbreak. 

I guess it is better to go ride asap the weather permits and while we still can to some degree. 

• Like 2