THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

1 minute ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Same here! :roflmao:
How am I supposed to smoke with a helmet on?

I use half-finger gloves and just ditched my old FF helmet for a modular one, if that's of any indication... :roflmao:

4 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I use a GoPro 6. It has decent stabilisation and I like being able to render the telemetry / gauges.
I use the superwide mode for selfie footage and otherwise the narrow/linear mode.

I just bought a Hero 7 Black. I plan on using it as a "dashcam" on my helmet when city riding, and for more "back-to-basics" video-making for when I can't be assed with the whole 360 reframing business... 

So far, I'm very impressed with the quality and stabilisation. Stabilisation is supposed to be a lot better on the GoPro Hero 8, but I chose the 7 instead because of (aside from price) the non-replaceable and non-fixable lenses on the 8. That's a massive deal-breaker for an action camera...

I also prefer linear for general use (if I want distorsion, I have the Insta360 :D), but wide is better for dashcam purposes. The telemetry is great to have, but I'm finding it to be very innacurate, reporting speeds higher than reality (as in 18 km/h when I was passing pedestrians going just barely faster than walking speed), and very slow to respond to speed changes. Could it be an issue with my camera? Does it make a difference whether you set recording from your phone or from the gopro, does the gps data always come from the camera?

Thanks and sorry for the derailing, guys... :whistling:

19 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

My very first euc video. Gotta set the bar low, so theres only room to improve. Just some random footage from a gopro hero 3. Awaiting a newer camera, so figured I may as well try out a new editing program. Just as I suspected... you can't polish a turd, but you sure can smell one... here's my turd, only took 1.5hrs to upload in meager quality.

Love the vib of this video, with the dangling cigarette, etc :thumbup:

That road, next the stream, must be spectacular in the summer, as long as there aren't many cars traveling it with you.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, travsformation said:

I just bought a Hero 7 Black. I plan on using it as a "dashcam" on my helmet when city riding, and for more "back-to-basics" video-making for when I can't be assed with the whole 360 reframing business... 

So far, I'm very impressed with the quality and stabilisation. Stabilisation is supposed to be a lot better on the GoPro Hero 8, but I chose the 7 instead because of (aside from price) the non-replaceable and non-fixable lenses on the 8. That's a massive deal-breaker for an action camera...

I also prefer linear for general use (if I want distorsion, I have the Insta360 :D), but wide is better for dashcam purposes. The telemetry is great to have, but I'm finding it to be very innacurate, reporting speeds higher than reality (as in 18 km/h when I was passing pedestrians going just barely faster than walking speed), and very slow to respond to speed changes. Could it be an issue with my camera? Does it make a difference whether you set recording from your phone or from the gopro, does the gps data always come from the camera?

Thanks and sorry for the derailing, guys... :whistling:

You would not believe how few people break the cover glass on their GoPro HERO cameras, even with the cameras with the 1.0mm thick glass. With the double-thickness glass on HERO8 Black the numbers of customers breaking them is incredibly low. But, perception matters, and people need to feel that they can repair the glass if something did happen.

The tempered glass lens and screen protectors can be used as an insurance policy (GoPro HERO8 Black Tempered Glass Lens + Screen Protectors), but it's understandable that people don't want to have a pay for an accessory to feel secure.

The GPS antenna is located on the top of the camera. It needs to have a clear view of the sky (line of sight to GPS satellites). Mounting upside down makes it harder to get a lock on the satellites. If you boot the camera (if it's had the battery removed, or if it was previously dead) and then give it a minute to get an initial lock on the satellites outside before moving, you're less likely to encounter issues.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Summertime in these appalachian mountains is heavenly.  Not much for traffic in the back of my hood, its dead end. Summer we get a few lost souls, but you feel lost WAY before you get to the back. At night it seems like where scary movies and dead bodies are made/stashed. I doubt my camera will do much for my planned 2-3am rides, but we will see! Fwiw, it eats an enitre battery on an 18L, to get to the nearest store and back. LOVE IT!

Looks like maybe a bigger wheel is in store for you down the road.

Edited by Marty Backe

7 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

You would not believe how few people break the cover glass on their GoPro HERO cameras, even with the cameras with the 1.0mm thick glass. With the double-thickness glass on HERO8 Black the numbers of customers breaking them is incredibly low. But, perception matters, and people need to feel that they can repair the glass if something did happen.

The tempered glass lens and screen protectors can be used as an insurance policy (GoPro HERO8 Black Tempered Glass Lens + Screen Protectors), but it's understandable that people don't want to have a pay for an accessory to feel secure.

Thanks!
"Perception matters", very good point. And that was definitely my case. I plan on using it for EUCing, as well as mountain biking, and putting it on the hood/side of my 4x4 for off-road tracks, so the chances of a rock jumping up and hitting it are fairly high. Having to throw away a $400 camera just because of a cracked lens...not worth the risk for me...especially when you can get lens replacements for the previous models for less than $20. I can understand companies that start off without that option and then add replaceable lenses to subsequent models, but I really don't care for GoPro's approach of doing the opposite...

7 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

The GPS antenna is located on the top of the camera. It needs to have a clear view of the sky (line of sight to GPS satellites). Mounting upside down makes it harder to get a lock on the satellites. If you boot the camera (if it's had the battery removed, or if it was previously dead) and then give it a minute to get an initial lock on the satellites outside before moving, you're less likely to encounter issues.

Hmm....it was mounted on my helmet when I tested, unobstructed. Will have to do more tests. Thanks for your reply!

2 hours ago, travsformation said:

Thanks!
"Perception matters", very good point. And that was definitely my case. I plan on using it for EUCing, as well as mountain biking, and putting it on the hood/side of my 4x4 for off-road tracks, so the chances of a rock jumping up and hitting it are fairly high. Having to throw away a $400 camera just because of a cracked lens...not worth the risk for me...especially when you can get lens replacements for the previous models for less than $20. I can understand companies that start off without that option and then add replaceable lenses to subsequent models, but I really don't care for GoPro's approach of doing the opposite...

If you had a HERO8 Black and you broke the lens cover, you can take out a subscription to GoPro Plus and get it replaced for $79.

The non-replaceable cover lens turned out to be a bad idea, but that path was taken with the full data for number of replacement covers sold (a very small number), and the cost and size of the mechanism. HERO8 Black is more pocketable because of the fixed cover lens. That seemed like something that would benefit most users, at an impact to something that virtually no users were taking advantage of.

Where this calculus failed is it failed to take in to account perception. It’s like the New Coke, that testers said tasted better, but misunderstood the psychology of the customer base.

47 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

If you had a HERO8 Black and you broke the lens cover, you can take out a subscription to GoPro Plus and get it replaced for $79.

Am not a fan of the subscription model, TBH...But still, it isn't worth it for me: say I use my Hero 7 for 3 years, and in that time, out of bad luck, end up breaking a lens once. I pay for a $20 replacement and problem solved. If I'd gone for the subscription model, I would have paid $237 over that same period of time...

47 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

The non-replaceable cover lens turned out to be a bad idea, but that path was taken with the full data for number of replacement covers sold (a very small number), and the cost and size of the mechanism.

That's probably because they were accounting for official GoPro replacement lenses, not the cheaper (but not necessarily worse) competition ;)

49 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

That seemed like something that would benefit most users, at an impact to something that virtually no users were taking advantage of.

In the 4WD world, GoPro lenses get broken a lot. People like to fix the camera to the side or even underside of the car and...you can imagine the rest...

50 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

Where this calculus failed is it failed to take in to account perception. It’s like the New Coke, that testers said tasted better, but misunderstood the psychology of the customer base.

I agree with that. In my case, I'll always prefer a brand that allows user-replaceable parts over one that doesn't (which is what I don't like about my Insta 360 One X); companies that offer a replacement (albeit a pricey one with a long down-time involved), such as with the Insta 360 One X, are better than ones that don't, but still not my cup of tea; moves like GoPro's with the Hero 8, I'd go so far as saying I strongly disapprove of. Having to replace the entire camera because they won't even fix the lens if it breaks (or gets scratched, which is much more common)? And if someone added a proprietary SD crd...then they're just plain evil (Sony, Huawei, etc...) :furious:

Why change something that works? And for whose benefit? I think that's where you have to be careful with user perception. A lot of GoPro users are already wary of upgrading because a lot of new models are little more than software updates with the same sensor, chip and amount of RAM. I bought the Hero 7 because of the stabilisation, overall quality and price/value ratio (being the previous model), but personally, I'm not a fan of GoPro's business model... (or actually, most manufacturers' models, come to think of it...) :roflmao:

Just wondering, is everyone stealing music and putting it to their videos, or are we actually getting the permission from original artists? Isnt there a time frame when music gets old enough that it becomes public property (unless youre walt disney i guess)? Im not a cop by ANY means, I just was curious about how to approach my own videos in the future. I fear I will run out of original audio tracks before I run out of video footage ..

Edited by ShanesPlanet

27 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Just wondering, is everyone stealing music and putting it to their videos, or are we actually getting the permission from original artists? Isnt there a time frame when music gets old enough that it becomes public property (unless youre walt disney i guess)? Im not a cop by ANY means, I just was curious about how to approach my own videos in the future. I fear I will run out of original audio tracks before I run out of video footage ..

Theres a ton of websites with royalty free music. Then theres premium sites like audioblocks (or something) and some other sites. And youtube itself has an audio library in the creator zone. Tons of places to grab free sounds without getting rocked by the id system.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, seage said:

Theres a ton of websites with royalty free music. Then theres premium sites like audioblocks (or something) and some other sites. And youtube itself has an audio library in the creator zone. Tons of places to grab free sounds without getting rocked by the id system.

AWESOME!! That totally solves my worries, thanks!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, travsformation said:

Why change something that works? And for whose benefit? I think that's where you have to be careful with user perception. A lot of GoPro users are already wary of upgrading because a lot of new models are little more than software updates with the same sensor, chip and amount of RAM. I bought the Hero 7 because of the stabilisation, overall quality and price/value ratio (being the previous model), but personally, I'm not a fan of GoPro's business model... (or actually, most manufacturers' models, come to think of it...) :roflmao:

Your message has been heard loud and clear.

The new models are more than software updates. I know it can seem like that, but there's quite a lot behind the scenes to enable the new features. For example (off the top of my head):

HERO4 to HERO5

• Waterproof without a housing
  • Greatly improved lens thermal stability
  • GPS

HERO5 to HERO6

• New processor (GP1) enabling many improvements in image quality and beyond
  • New image sensor
  • 4k60/1080p240 (required the new processor and image sensor)
  • H.265 video codec for more efficient compression (required the new processor)
  • Improved video stabilization (required the new processor)

HERO6 to HERO7

• HyperSmooth stabilization. This required that the main memory (DRAM) was doubled in size. It wasn't possible on the HERO6 hardware
  • Improved microphone membranes for much better audio
  • Improved lens coatings

HERO7 to HERO8

• New mechanical architecture for mounting without a frame or case (you would not believe how many changes were required to fit this in)
  • New optics creating a shorter snout and improving color
  • Double thickness lens cover glass

A lot of the other improvements in HERO8 were through firmware changes, but that new firmware couldn't simply be ported back to HERO7. There are enough hardware changes that that would have be a herculean (expensive) effort.

Between most of those generations there were a myriad of other hardware tweaks, like improved WiFi, improved thermals, improved microphone water drainage, and so on.

Edited by Jon Stern
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

You can't really steal because YouTube will detect and flag accordingly.
So for instance my latest clip was not viewable in Greece because of a song that was in there.
Other countries will allow it but they might puts ads on my video and the revenue will go to the artist / company / whatever.

I used to use free music but then there was a sample here or there in the song that flagged YouTube detection anyway.. so in the end I just took the flagging and put up whatever music I want. If I get unlucky the video ends up being banned in all countries or not viewable from portable devices so then I choose other audio and export it again.

• Like 3

On 3/4/2020 at 11:25 PM, Jon Stern said:

Between most of those generations there were a myriad of other hardware tweaks, like improved WiFi, improved thermals, improved microphone water drainage, and so on.

Great spec summation Jon! :cheers:

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 5:25 AM, Jon Stern said:

Your message has been heard loud and clear.

The new models are more than software updates. I know it can seem like that, but there's quite a lot behind the scenes to enable the new features. For example (off the top of my head):

HERO4 to HERO5

• Waterproof without a housing
  • Greatly improved lens thermal stability
  • GPS

HERO5 to HERO6

• New processor (GP1) enabling many improvements in image quality and beyond
  • New image sensor
  • 4k60/1080p240 (required the new processor and image sensor)
  • H.265 video codec for more efficient compression (required the new processor)
  • Improved video stabilization (required the new processor)

HERO6 to HERO7

• HyperSmooth stabilization. This required that the main memory (DRAM) was doubled in size. It wasn't possible on the HERO6 hardware
  • Improved microphone membranes for much better audio
  • Improved lens coatings

HERO7 to HERO8

• New mechanical architecture for mounting without a frame or case (you would not believe how many changes were required to fit this in)
  • New optics creating a shorter snout and improving color
  • Double thickness lens cover glass

A lot of the other improvements in HERO8 were through firmware changes, but that new firmware couldn't simply be ported back to HERO7. There are enough hardware changes that that would have be a herculean (expensive) effort.

Touché!

Great summary, nice to have the entire evolution in a single post (I was tempted to do the research but to lazy to go through with it). Thanks! :)