THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

25 minutes ago, Rainu said:

@Marty Backe Yes, i know. I have a fast internet at home too, 500mb/s, this is not the problem. Have no problems to watch 4k..

Look at this video with 1024p on a big monitor. Until  0:10, the quality is poor. Its because there are lot of trees moving fast. Youtube can't compress this enough.

After 0:10, in the open field,  there are much less moving items, so YT can compress more and the quality is much better.

If i would drive slower in the forest, less moving details, better the quality...

I will try with vimeo, perhabs they are compressing less..

So what's the best shutter speed +setting to use on insta360 one X

2 hours ago, Rainu said:

@Marty Backe Yes, i know. I have a fast internet at home too, 500mb...

Look at this video with 1024p on a big monitor. Until  0:10, the quality is poor. Its because there are lot of trees moving fast. Youtube can't compress this enough.

After 0:10, in the open field,  there are much less moving items, so YT can compress more and the quality is much better.

If i would drive slower in the forest, less moving details, better the quality...

I will try with vimeo, perhabs they are compressing less..

Yeah, good demonstration. I see that on some of my videos where I'm riding through a lot of vegetation. What are you going to do?

1080P bitrate on Youtube isn't very generous.
I have tried upsampling 1080p to 4k and uploading just to check how Youtube is using the bandwidth.
The 1080p compression is aggressive and shows macroblocking artifacts with highly complex scenes such as trees.

4k is more generous.

I made a gif with 2 frames. One from 1080p playback and one from 4k playback.
The source is upscaled 1080p to 4k.

Gopro native 1080p bitrate in protune is 60mbit/sec. Youtube 1080p bitrate is 7mbit/sec. :facepalm:

Edit: The gif got converted to a jpg somehow. I made a different side to side screenshot instead.

1512462195_ScreenShot2019-05-03at23_04_53.thumb.jpg.30d73f94b018b2055f18ae21b67cb7f0.jpg

Edited by Mike Sacristan
Replaced gif with jpg. Added YT url. Corrected prores to protune. FML.
  • Like 1

The weird thing about all this is that if you download a YT video it looks better than if you stream it (even with best internet and full buffering)
But if you download it through your own legitimate creator portal it's same quality as if you streamed it (seems like large source files are saved as is anymore)

But I've always been impressed with how much video data YT and Google are able to accommodate.
Like you know everyone's videos no matter how unimportant or small they are are being backed up 2-3 times across separate servers. And they somehow process multiple resolutions so quickly and have all those on their servers as well. I've never lost a video on youtube and I've never noticed any corruption in the file data ever. That seems like a miracle or just some serious redundancy and engineering.

Youtube has serious copyright trolling and logistics issues, but I'm still happy with what they are able to do from a technical standpoint on such a massive mainstream scale. Most people that seriously complain would probably go into debt just having to finance a website to host the bandwidth for a handful of their videos. They do need to stop allowing 10 hour + looped and nonsense video uploads....just a waste of space for them.

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 2

About high movement, tree's etc that where previously mentioned cause of the YouTube Compression, why don't we upload to Vimeo which is better!?

We don't care that much for views we just upload for our friends and this community to see, i personally don't care about views i just want my videos to be somewhere online available to play.

Your ideas?