THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

23 hours ago, Scatcat said:

When Mike say low psi, he MEANS low psi!
19 psi, that's like the front tyre of a motocross bike...

I myself is well above 30 psi at all times, ~32 currently. And counting total weight, mine is around 115 kgs counting the MSX, me, and my gear. Mike's is about 90 kgs counting the MSX, him, and his gear. So to get the same ratio, I should have 25 psi or so, which would feel like riding on a sponge :D, but I suppose a sponge would be nice around the parts where the road imitates moguls, which is all too common here in Gothenburg.

Haha. I just came for the squishy ride. :efee612b4b:
Yes you are correct regarding my riding weight.

I am now riding at 40PSI. I am going to leave it there for a few hundred KM and see how it goes. I have hit some nasty bumps and it has been quite scary but I will keep pushing on! Gotta try those extremes! At least I am not getting elastic return from the tire which I was getting at 25PSI. Then every bump would return energy and bounce me... TO THE MOOOOON!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Haha. I just came for the squishy ride. :efee612b4b:
Yes you are correct regarding my riding weight.

I am now riding at 40PSI. I am going to leave it there for a few hundred KM and see how it goes. I have hit some nasty bumps and it has been quite scary but I will keep pushing on! Gotta try those extremes! At least I am not getting elastic return from the tire which I was getting at 25PSI. Then every bump would return energy and bounce me... TO THE MOOOOON!

Yep, I hate the really low PSI because of the bouncing. It takes away some energy from the initial bump, but then you feel like a bloody yo-yo... :D 
The 32 psi I ride with currently is a compromise between a cushy ride, squirrelyness and form stability, where I feel I can turn hard with perfect grip on a hard surface without feeling any amplification of my turning movements. A very soft tire deforms sideways on a hard turn, and so amplifies the lean.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

Anyone else feel compelled to learn analog after doing EUCs first? What a trip! 😵

I actually learned how to ride a regular unicycle in high school, and I personally don't feel compelled to ride a regular version again.  It's not even close to the same level of thrill and it's a lot of work!

1 hour ago, Rama Douglas said:

Anyone else feel compelled to learn analog after doing EUCs first? What a trip! 😵

took me about 4 hours to learn to ride forward.  @trya also took it up.  Next learn how to free mount.  will take another few hours.  i've not learned how to idle or ride backwards yet.  the backwards would be a trip.

funny thing is know how to ride electric doesn't help at all.  but learning to ride manual will help you with electric.

Edited by eddiemoy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rama Douglas said:

@Rama Douglas, @eddiemoy - you learn so fast! It took me a lot longer that 4 hours to feel more or less stable on a uni. And I still can't freemount, although to be fair, I didn't spend much time trying. My progress was and is very slow. Even though I unicycle regularly (10-15 min almost daily) it is more like an aerobics for me - good exercise with some challenge :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trya said:

@Rama Douglas, @eddiemoy - you learn so fast! It took me a lot longer that 4 hours to feel more or less stable on a uni. And I still can't freemount, although to be fair, I didn't spend much time trying. My progress was and is very slow. Even though I unicycle regularly (10-15 min almost daily) it is more like an aerobics for me - good exercise with some challenge :) 

Freemounting is tough.  I just back the unicycle up to a curb and it’s fairly easy to mount and launch.  Easy to do at most intersections if you have to stop. Never had interest to ride beyond that.  Maybe this cynical old man needs to try again...or not!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

I actually learned how to ride a regular unicycle in high school, and I personally don't feel compelled to ride a regular version again.  It's not even close to the same level of thrill and it's a lot of work!

True that! I felt like I needed to satisfy the thirst of the ancestors' ways...😜 I'm also kind of a glutton for punishment (in others' eyes) as I enjoy a good challenge. I enjoy the uphill portion of mountain biking equally if not more so than the descent. Would love to get good at it on Mt bike trails but that would take me a bit more than an hour or so of practice... LoL :laughbounce2:

5 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

took me about 4 hours to learn to ride forward.  @trya also took it up.  Next learn how to free mount.  will take another few hours.  i've not learned how to idle or ride backwards yet.  the backwards would be a trip.

funny thing is know how to ride electric doesn't help at all.  but learning to ride manual will help you with electric.

Nice! I'll have to try it out some more. I actually haven't touched it for a few weeks...and yeah, free-mounting seems like a highly advanced maneuver. I was surprised to get that far on it as quick as I did, but learning to do it well down Mt. Bike trails would be pretty badass! Maybe a good goal to shoot for by 2020...:cheers:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rama Douglas said:

Nice! I'll have to try it out some more. I actually haven't touched it for a few weeks...and yeah, free-mounting seems like a highly advanced maneuver. I was surprised to get that far on it as quick as I did, but learning to do it well down Mt. Bike trails would be pretty badass! Maybe a good goal to shoot for by 2020...:cheers:

Muni (mountain unicycling) is a whole different animal.  Not sure if I would ever tackle that.  Maybe when I master idling and backwards, might take that as a new challenge.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, trya said:

Freemounting is an essential skill to progress faster.  You don’t have to find something to hold on to to get back on when you fall off.   As the more time you spend on the unicycle, the better you get.   It is great exercise.  Dont think I learned quickly.  But I learned and I know I can learn the other skills too.  Just takes time and guts.  Lol

Edited by eddiemoy
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Freemounting is an essential skill to progress faster.  You don’t have to find something to hold on to to get back on when you fall off.   As the more time you spend on the unicycle, the better you get.   It is great exercise.  Dont think I learned quickly.  But I learned and I know I can learn the other skills too.  Just takes time and guts.  Lol

...and briefs not boxers apparently! 😫😂

And to your note about analog uni helping out learning EUC, a buddy who rides regular jumped on my KS and balanced and rode perfectly first time ever...😎

1 hour ago, Rama Douglas said:

...and briefs not boxers apparently! 😫😂

And to your note about analog uni helping out learning EUC, a buddy who rides regular jumped on my KS and balanced and rode perfectly first time ever...😎

Yeh, everyone I know that know manual unicycle can just jump on EUC and ride.  But no one I know can just jump on a manual unicycle and ride.  You will definitely improve your skills on EUC when you have a little more time on the manual unicycle.  I found it helps with going slow. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Yeh, everyone I know that know manual unicycle can just jump on EUC and ride.  But no one I know can just jump on a manual unicycle and ride.  You will definitely improve your skills on EUC when you have a little more time on the manual unicycle.  I found it helps with going slow. 

Since I just love being contrarian I counter with my wife's niece who mastered the regular unicycle but could not ride my EUC (she only had a somewhat short time to try it though, but it did not transfer directly apparently).

1 minute ago, Nils said:

Since I just love being contrarian I counter with my wife's niece who mastered the regular unicycle but could not ride my EUC (she only had a somewhat short time to try it though, but it did not transfer directly apparently).

small kids have issues with the heavy unicycle.  my kids had issues with the heavier ones.  keep in mind the manual unicycle is ~5 lbs, the EUC's you own are 40+ lbs.  my 12 year old had issues with my V10F.  the lighter KS16 was ok for him.  My 8 year old struggles with the KS16, but has no problem with the lighter KS14D.

3 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

small kids have issues with the heavy unicycle.  my kids had issues with the heavier ones.  keep in mind the manual unicycle is ~5 lbs, the EUC's you own are 40+ lbs.  my 12 year old had issues with my V10F.  the lighter KS16 was ok for him.  My 8 year old struggles with the KS16, but has no problem with the lighter KS14D.

Well in this case the niece was nineteen or so (my wife was a late child), but the weight would make for a difference compared to a regular unicycle in general. I also think she had some (perhaps exaggerated) respect for the EUC, the V10F in this case, possibly making her overly cautious.

15 minutes ago, Nils said:

Well in this case the niece was nineteen or so (my wife was a late child), but the weight would make for a difference compared to a regular unicycle in general. I also think she had some (perhaps exaggerated) respect for the EUC, the V10F in this case, possibly making her overly cautious.

Weird, unless you niece is petite, she should have been able to ride EUC with in a few minutes. Guess there are exceptions with everything. But I’m general I would say those who have the manual skills down translate to EUC verve well. They just have to remember not to pedal. LMAO. 

• Like 1

Again, where is everyone?! So lucky, try doing that in Southend! Amazing video mate, audio really suits the footage too. The long stick really gives a new perception for the viewer although it must be a right pain to ride with. Anyway, looks really slick, as does the riding. Cheers for that one, enjoyed every minute :thumbup:

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, stephen said:

Blackpool Cleveleys seafront ,calm ride and lovely weather😊

Great video, looks fun  :)

People turn their heads as you pass lol

Edited by Gasmantle
  • Upvote 1