EUC Footwear?

6 hours ago, someguy152 said:

@mrelwood have you tried kingfoam insoles?

I haven’t. I generally need ample arch support, and the Kingfoams seem to have none. Also as a pretty much only a US product the shipping costs and VAT would probably make them quite expensive to try out. Not that I wouldn’t be interested to do so though.

My TCX boots would need an arch support they are very flat. I put arch supports in them. Lots of room for insoles. 

Probably a little overkill for wheel only but I like to be protected. If I didn't want them for motorcycle commuting I'd have gone a cheaper rout though.

I miss riding the wheel to work but the bike is the next best thing :rolleyes:

I've gravitated toward boots for riding, and away from minimal shoes for my preference.

I got the Sketchers Vinton Lanham work boot to try out. They checked all the boxes for me: sturdy, protected toe, high ankle, grippy traction, and very comfortable.  They are a little heavier than I expected, but I wouldn't call them a heavy boot.  They are very sturdy.  I feel like I lost a little of the sensitivity I had while wearing my Hoka One One Tor High boots - but to be fair the Hoka's feel like high top basketball shoes with a hiking boot sole.  The Hoka sole has also slipped a few times on my pedals, where my Sketchers with this interesting grippy sole has not.  So at the moment I'm a little undecided about the Sketchers boots, but likely as they wear in and I get used to them, I might gain more sensitivity.

The problem with the Hokas is the price, and I don't recommend them for people with wide feet.  Really I don't recommend the Sketchers boots for wide feet, unless you can actually find a pair with the wide specification.  I have the regulars, and they fit my narrow feet pretty snug - true to size at a 10.

The thing I really like about the Sketchers is how protective they are.  Synthetic toe, leather, and a high ankle.  They have a foam interior that is super comfortable too (see how that lasts for durability).  If nothing else, I have a really nice pair of winter boots - which I was also looking for.  These are insulated, which isn't what I was looking for, but wearing them in moderately warm temps (around 70 F), my feet haven't suffered too much.

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 1.15.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 1.16.28 AM.png

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, kelec_947 said:

Hey guys !

What do you think of mid sk8 or High SK8 from vans compared to that of half cab from vans too? I am really looking for a good, rather rising pair.

You prefer mid or rising (high (as such? Thank youvans-half-cab-pro-bmx-black.jpg.3fe1500554c04c580cc042e55865b6d4.jpgs-l400.jpg.187ca4bc4a1d19aaeacb075e60ce9262.jpg7800605_500_A.jpg.38060064f31fdd348e7c15f406c715dd.jpg

I bought a pair of High SK8s and I don’t like them. More comfortable riding in my Adidas Boosts.  

On 5/3/2018 at 5:34 PM, mezzanine said:

We don't pay enough attention to how different footwear can change the feel of riding your EUC.  I changed to a pair of Oakley boots and it's completely different than my other footwear.  

Agreed, I really prefer wearing my boots that have a really thick sole vs wearing running shoes. It changes the way you ride.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

<Edit: Nevermind! Got through the first 4 pages but missed the ankle brace discussion on page 5>

As I'm waiting for my first wheel to arrive, I've seen a couple rolled ankles in training videos. Is there any reason not to get something like this for a beginner, maybe some reason I'm not aware of without having riding experience?  https://www.amazon.com/Zenith-Ankle-Brace-Adjustable-Support/dp/B01LYQU9K4

Edited by manieuc

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 8:19 AM, litewave said:

I have been wearing ankle stabilizers for more than four years. They're lightweight, very durable, and have prevented sprains and possibly worse. They can be worn with any footgear, with and without socks.

353510968_ASOstabilizer.thumb.jpg.76a9c6728205ba1b74efcd43be361322.jpg

If you wear sneakers or other low rise shoes as I often do, since in Japan you have to take off your shoes now and then, this would be the way to go. Wearing these underneath your socks is probably the safest way, without making compromises in regard to control. Do you have a link where I can buy these from?

1 hour ago, Toshio Uemura said:

If you wear sneakers or other low rise shoes as I often do, since in Japan you have to take off your shoes now and then, this would be the way to go. Wearing these underneath your socks is probably the safest way, without making compromises in regard to control. Do you have a link where I can buy these from?

I bought two since I have had issues with my ankles before. They fit nicely over socks. You can try this link, might have to search for a different listing if you need small or large:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Ankle-Stabilising-Brace-Medium-Injuries/dp/B00TZTO0VM

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, manieuc said:

You can try this link,

Thanks for the link. I was looking for the brand on Amazon earlier today but didn’t find any results. The link however works perfect 👌 You made my day. 😌 

• Like 1

I bought the Northface Truxel Mid shoes and super happy with those, comfy, very good grip, water resistant, nice looking!

The North Face Truxel Mid (Herr) - Hitta bästa pris på Prisjakthttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRZ2QWdhdmrOfHesYrGiYLuFdWdk9GsJqQYFA&usqp=CAU

Got the black ones but I think they come in brown/beige as well.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Upvote 1

On 9/6/2020 at 10:15 PM, Toshio Uemura said:

Glad that @manieuc replied quickly. I haven't been checking the forum recently as I am recovering from an injury.

Needless to say, be careful not to overtighten them as they can reduce circulation and cause foot strain. Otherwise, you can wear them all day (at work, for example) comfortably. Just air them out nightly and wash every 3-4 years. :wacko:

• Like 1

I broke my ankle in a 38kmh fall from my mten3 wearing quality motorcycle hitops with reinforced ankles (super comfy, brand is Stylmartin, from Italy). Not sure what happened and how I fell but I will definitely be looking for stronger (d3o) ankle protection for my future euc riding (and ride more slowly).

• 3 months later...

Santa has been nice with the simple man!

I go through quite a few pairs every year...

Tight fit (size 10) no laces...

Merry Christmas to all!

shoes-2020.jpg

P-20201225-090502.jpg

I've been riding with TCX Waterproof Street Ace (with ankle armour built in), sooooo comfy. Picked up Speed And Strength Black 9 for reg shoes, but they're also motorcycle shoes. Both have the converse chuck taylor appearance

Edited by Dreygun

If you get them new stud pedals flat sole soft shoe aint that important anymore, you can wear MC boots instead, safer and warmer.  I still love my Van sk8 shoes with ancle support, but my ridiculous "barefoot shoes" are not elevant anymore, its just a hippiethang. regarding feet: socks with battery driven heat in em for winter..... You will love it, it sound a little silly but its very very nice. Keep feet and brain warm - for better connectivity and more fun.  

I've tried a number of different types of shoes from hiking boots, motorcycle boots, standard Skechers, running shoes and just picked up a pair of standard Vans. I can't say that I can tell much of a difference between any of them. I feel like I can feel the movement of the wheel just as well in any of them. Also, no matter what I'm wearing, my feet start to hurt after about a mile or two and I need to stop and rest. I do feel like I am building up a tolerance to it though since it used to happen after only half a mile.

• Like 1