EUC Footwear?

I'm on a quest to find the perfect pair of EUC riding boots.  The reason I'm seeking help is that I'm trying to find something that will provide some degree of cushioning as a kind of suspension to absorb some of the shock of the road.  Am I being unrealistic to look to footwear as a means to improve the ride of my EUC?  I'm guessing I'm asking too much of any footwear to replace dedicated suspension, but am hoping someone out there has found an option that works better than my current options.  

I'm guessing that the perfect pair of boots would have both a hard sole to prevent foot fatigue (I find riding in running shoes tiring after only 5 minutes), while having an unusual amount of foam between one's foot and the sole of the boot.  I believe there are shoes that incorporate extra cushioning, but I'm guessing the soles are too soft for me.  I'm not even sure whether the extra cushioning would improve ride comfort; it's more of a theory.  

• Like 3

Hello.

If you have big feet you may have to wear slim shoes.

I wear a vasque hiking shoe with regular insole that allows me to stand for about 40 minutes before I need to adjust posture and balance and another hour to stop from numb feet and tingling back.  I have a larger hiking shoe with an extra thick insole that I can ride with further than my s1 can go.  However I can not adjust my feet due to the larger size.  Or small pedals.

Maybe steel shank workboots for protection and heel support to hang more off the back.  I’m considering some low cut street shoe style motorcycle boots.  I haven’t found the solution yet.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Roo Williams said:

Bend those knees! Watch goochtech videos on YouTube, he keeps his knees bent and rides loosely - that’s the suspension :)

I wear vans sk8 hi leather, protects those ankle bones and will give some decent protection in event of a spill.

those look like the soles would work good with inmotion’s v10f rubber pedals.

32 minutes ago, Roo Williams said:

Bend those knees! Watch goochtech videos on YouTube, he keeps his knees bent and rides loosely - that’s the suspension :)

I wear vans sk8 hi leather, protects those ankle bones and will give some decent protection in event of a spill.

Hahaha, did you mean chooch tech?  xD    And yeah, I agree. He has the best "suspension" I've ever seen.

The correct shoes improve a lot the comfort but didn't exclude the need of bending the knees for bumps absortion.

I use skaters for freestyle or commute in summer and leather boots in winter, cushioned soles for urban and hard for offroad (because the extra thick and cushioned soles have loose feel)

The motorbike shoes are too uncomfortable when standing and too hard for ride with finesse. Only wear it for really dangerous stuff and ever with full protective gear

Edited by Demargon
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Arbolest said:

Hahaha, did you mean chooch tech?  xD    And yeah, I agree. He has the best "suspension" I've ever seen.

Haaaahaaaahaaaa!! Woops! Can’t believe I missed that, Freudian slip for sure. Let me just fix that!

Fixed my post but the quotes remain *palm face*

Edited by Roo Williams

3 hours ago, Demargon said:

...and leather boots in winter, cushioned soles for urban and hard for offroad (because the extra thick and cushioned soles have loose feel)

I really loved riding with my North Face Back to Berkeley boots in the winter. Warm and waterproof with a solid feel in terms of stability, but cushioned and good looking too. The diamond shape on the back of mine is even reflective so good at night! I’d recommend em to anyone.

6DF34B3E-D7D3-4D26-BD03-C76BF0544ACF.jpeg

Edited by Roo Williams

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up grabbing a pair of Doc Marten Pascal Ripple boots as my spring/summer/fall riding footwear.  Crossing my fingers that they'll be good for EUC use, but I won't know until they get here.  Little worried that they won't have the shock absorbing capability of foam, but I'll report back when I find out.  

2 minutes ago, Roo Williams said:

No, suede! I was looking for them for a while. I have the leather ones but they get warm and I'm just not into the canvas ones (even tho they have patches of suede... look cheap).

https://www.vans.com/shop/suede-sk8-hi

those are nice! i got the cheap looking ones. i’ll see how these fit. worse case i can return them to dick’s. 

41792780432_e74a733520_b.jpg

• Like 1

Have they ever improved the insoles on those? I used to wear them for skateboarding, they were so grippy, but also so floppy, basically if you were doing anything big, you were begging for a heel bruise. I have had a couple pairs of Vans in recent years, but only use them as dress shoes or for work. The only sole that I've experienced that was worse is the original converse all star.

Vans do look really cool though.